• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SM Ubers

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
After getting bored of PokeBank OU (seeing Aegislash on every team gets boring after 40 matches) I decided to go back to my roots and try out the new Ubers metagame. It is similar to ORAS but there are enough differences to make it quite fresh. The metagame is still young, and I haven't done too much teambuilding or playing, but I've done enough to work some things out.

Some things I have noticed:
• Primal Groudon and Xerneas are still everywhere. Xerneas got some new checks, like Solgaleo, while Primal Groudon now has the near-indomitable Zygarde-Complete to worry about. However, Xerneas and Primal Groudon can still deal with each other's checks, which is nice.

• The buff to Mega Gengar (it gets its 130 Speed on the turn it Mega Evolves now) has made it even better than it was last generation, which is scary. Most notably, it no longer needs to run Protect, which means it can run Hypnosis + Hex + Focus Blast + Substitute / Sludge Wave. Speaking of Hypnosis, it makes Mega Gengar extremely dangerous; as Mega Gengar is so fast, it moves first most of the time, meaning that would-be checks such as Yveltal are vulnerable to being put to sleep - and because they cannot switch out once Gengar has Mega Evolved, it significantly detriments the opposing player and makes games somewhat mindless coinflips. This sheer usefulness, coupled with the -ate nerf, has also had the effect of making Mega Salamence more scarce than it was in ORAS.

• Arceus-Dark and Arceus-Fairy seem to be better than they were last generation. Arceus-Dark can take advantage of the new Psyspam offensive teams that are running around everywhere at the moment, while Arceus-Fairy fits well on Psyspam as a check to Dark-types; it can also deal with Zygarde-Complete, a very threatening Pokemon, better than most other Arceus formes (hi, Arceus-Ice!!!) Arceus-Dark, though, has a habit of being overhyped at the beginning of a new generation before being recognised as mediocre, so...

• Latias and Latios being rendered extinct has improved Primal Kyogre, although Primal Groudon still troubles it. Still, the nerf to Soul Dew has removed two of its foremost checks; it is still unexplored as of yet but I can see it acting as a rather threatening breaker. Primal Groudon also has less reason to devote a moveslot to a Dragon-type move on sweeping sets.

Have you played much Sun and Moon Ubers yet? What are your thoughts on the new metagame?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Is there a reason why Hypnosis Mega Gengar became a problem now? I don't remember it being that common in ORA Ubers, buuuuuuuut that could just be that I never ran into it or something.

Also, have either of the new boxart legendaries made any significant impact or no?

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Is there a reason why Hypnosis Mega Gengar became a problem now? I don't remember it being that common in ORA Ubers, buuuuuuuut that could just be that I never ran into it or something.

Also, have either of the new boxart legendaries made any significant impact or no?

I'm not one to confirm anything, since I don't know too much about Ubers. I think it may have to be due to the fact that Megas gain their increased (or decreased) speed on the turn that they Mega-Evolve. Before Gengar would have to run Protect and wait a turn to get its increased speed, but now it does not need to.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

I'm not one to confirm anything, since I don't know too much about Ubers. I think it may have to be due to the fact that Megas gain their increased (or decreased) speed on the turn that they Mega-Evolve. Before Gengar would have to run Protect and wait a turn to get its increased speed, but now it does not need to.

Sleep + Shadow Tag is now banned in Ubers. To put things in short, once Mega Gengar traps something that can't do much to it, it can spam Hypnosis until it connects, then eliminate the sleeping target with Hex.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Is Poison Arceus really viable in a meta where Primal Groudon and Zygarde-Complete are common/major threats?

Back