• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] Are dark types really evil?

Years
  • They are called the "evil" type in Japan. However, should we accept this label at face value? Or might the word "evil" reflect instead the fears of human beings who classify pokemon. People assumed the worst of Absol, Darkrai or Zoroark, only to find out that they meant no harm, and were trying to save others.

I personally think dark types are no worse than any other Pokemon. Some species might be more aggressive than others, but that can be said about any pokemon. All and all I think dark Pokemon are good.

What do you think?

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
    Years
  • I think that ghost is the evil type

There's a tree stump that has a child's soul trapped inside (Phantump), a fake balloon that steals children and takes them to the afterlife (Drifloon), a spectral being with a tongue made of gas that hides, waiting to murder unsuspecting victims who walk by (Haunter), a chandelier that hypnotizes it's victims with the dancing flames before absorbing the victim's spirit (Chandelure), an abandoned doll that seeks vengeance on the child who threw it away (Banette), a mummy with a body that is a black hole (Dusclops), a sarcophagus with fangs that eats humans and turns their bodies into empty lifeless shells (Cofagrigus), a sword that will strangle and then completely drain your energy (Honedge), a pumpkin that happily sings while constricting it's prey (Gourgeist), a giant cat spectre thing that wants to turn humans into it's minions (Gengar), and a sand castle that hides the bones of it's victims underneath it (Palossand)

Also yes I know that ghosts are known for being terrifying like that, but like seriously these ghosts are pure evil

Last edited:

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
  • It might be because Dark-type Pok?mon are among the common used types for the villain teams in the games.

Other than that, I feel Dark-type aren't necessarily evil. Just that they are often related to evil. Personally they are actually one of my favourite types...
    But how else would it explain its typing with its weaknesses and resistances?

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I don't really think that the Dark typing despite it's literal translation into Japanese can be interpreted as meaning Evil in the sense of a Human's understanding of Evil.
    I've always sort of looked at the Dark Type as being more of a type built around rogue tactics. Trickery, Deception, Subterfuge, Lying, tactics designed for getting any form of edge over another pokemon no matter how underhanded the technique may be. Many could argue that this form of fighting may be considered evil, but I see it instead as attempting to survive at any cost. It's not really evil however it's not really on what is considered to be a fair playing ground either.

Ida13

Gone For a While
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    I like it being represented as actual darkness, and/or dark magic. It has some of my favorite pokemon in this type
    To me fairy type is the light type
    Psychic is shadows
    Ghost is darkness.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I think of them as strongly associated with dark urban legends, as are Ghost types, but I don't think they are all that bad.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • I tend to doubt about the pokédex's reliability and deem most infos as
    silly rumors, in the same way the user Cool_Porygon does...
    But palossand... alas, my fellow...

Palossand :
    1. Has creepy dex entries
    2. Has an official artwork that makes the Moon dex entry RELIABLE
    3. Accordingly to the sun entry can control people tasking them to increase its size.
    4. Accordingly to the anime dex entry, uses the shovel as a radar.
    5. With its ability, water compaction, will increase its defense for each water-type attack that lands.
    6. Which implies in doubles someone will bring it out along with a pokémon that knows water shuriken.
    7. Sum the previous two with the move "shore-up", offering it recovery.

We can thus state that, in a "moon version game" continuity, palossand is
    unarguably EVIL. I might have found a pokémon that I actually despise...

But hey... if someone brings out palossand and a pokémon with water shuriken
    on Showdown's doubles, it's very likely that the JJM TRio will be there...
    TO RENDER STAT-BUILDING USELESS!
    Weezing>knows haze accordingly to the dubs
    Seviper>knows haze
    Dustox>knows whirlwind

Back