• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking to get back into vgc after a six year abscence

2 quid is good

Will never stop using Azumarill
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2019
Hi! My name is 2 Quid and like I said, I haven't played vgc since 2013, although I did keep up with the meta until about 2016. However with the new sun series ruleset, I've been inspired! So behold my BellyRod team! It's not great I know(understatement) , but I've won with it as much as I've lost. The core of the team is definitely Azumarill and Raichu. Their synergy is just great and they've been a mainstay in any team I make since I realised a sableye gravity team was 2 hard 2 b gud. Its also refreshing from all the rain teams I inevitably end up using, which is not good for my sanity. What is good for my sanity is using samurott on a rain team and winning but that happens once in a blue moon, so the mice it is!

Bring On The Mice:

Neeli (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

This is a very standard Azumarill, and nothing very special here in terms of team building. Play Rough and Aqua Jet with X4 attack is, well, HUGE. I chose aqua jet over any other move pretty much purely because of the priority it gives. The Sitrus Berry is because of Belly Drum. Protect is Protect. Like I said, pretty simple and straightforward.

Ur worst nitemare (Raichu) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Volt Switch
- Protect
- Hidden Power

Raichu's Lightening Rod Ability is a must when leading with Azumarill, and it's main use on the first turn is to outspeed and nullify any threat to Belly Drum with Fake Out. With what I've seen on showdown, the new fake out user of choice seems to be incineroar. However I'm not inclined to switch up this years old partnership now.
Volt Switch is an essential move for me, allowing Raichu a free pass to safety. Hidden Power Ice is also very useful as a general offensive move which is why I use it, but I constantly change that last slot to Encore when I fancy it.

Lal Singh (Talonflame) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 50
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Talonflame is always useful to come in on a Volt Switch and quickly deal with Azumarills weaknesses with that sweet, sweet priority, and then U-Turn back out to safety. Brave Bird and Flame Charge are self explanatory, and setting up tailwind in anticipation of an opponents is always a winner. In fact, one of my favourite things to do with this team (apart from ohko'ing mons with the qt blue mouse) is to constantly switch between raichu and talonflame, and spamming Fake Out.

I couldn't think of a good enough item so I'm really open to suggestions here.

Serious Shroom (Breloom) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Normally this spot would be taken by Garchomp or Mega Heracross for me, although I have run The Serious Shroom before. In recent years I've come to appreciate the giant shield bug more and more. However that is impossible in the new ruleset, which is fine by me tbh because Technician Breloom is one of the best Pokémon out there when it comes to doubles. Spore isn't his only utility, and when he switches into a tailwind from talonflame he can be a beast. Mach Punch and Bullet Seed are there to take advantage of that yuge attack state, and swords dance can be useful if for some reason I lead with Breloom and Talonflame.

£2 Louis Vuitton (Cinccino) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Rock Blast

My second replacement for Mega-Heracross, and useful in its own right, Cinccino is the most recent addition to this team. Before I discovered the giant shield bug I would use cloyster, and skill link + shell smash is no joke. However, I wanted something a bit more.......

Pretty.

And cinccino fits the bill. Coupled with Raichu Volt switching and fake out flinching a threat, and then skill linking rock smash, it can be a real treat. And my days, imagine what it does to someone's ego to be beaten by a fake fur wearing, middle aged - but halfway to being a cougar - fabulous 4ft 9 mouse.

I LOVE IT.

Shocky (Galvantula) @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Protect

This is the weakest link. I hardly ever use Galvantula, and when I do its really only to sticky Web + Spam accurate thunder. I couldn't really think of a final pokemon and didn't want to use any ubers, and I had experience with running galvantula with talonflame and breloom before. But it's deadweight, and that's one thing I do not want. I've thought about running garchomp in it's place, but then thought about running something that can stand against rain (which is already running rampant, I tried it myself before I got bored with ludicolo and pals)

So here it is! A glaring weakness here is I can't deal with xerneas and tapu koko, and they seem to be this formats chalk x.x

Any help and criticism would be much appreciated!

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
Bring On The Mice:

Neeli (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry CONFUSION berry/Normaiium-Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect Bounce/Ice Punch/Bulldoze

This is a very standard Azumarill, and nothing very special here in terms of team building. Play Rough and Aqua Jet with X4 attack is, well, HUGE. I chose aqua jet over any other move pretty much purely because of the priority it gives. The Sitrus Berry is because of Belly Drum. Protect is Protect. Like I said, pretty simple and straightforward.

You may want to consider using a confusion berry instead, since they recover 50% max HP in this generation; however, Wiki Berry will confuse it, since Adamant Nature Pokemon dislike dry flavored berries such as Wiki. Thus, any of the other four (Aguav, Figy, Iapapa, and Mago) will not confuse it.

Using Normalium-Z with Belly Drum is another option, since Z-Belly Drum restores all HP before reducing 1/2 HP. That said, if you choose this route, you could consider adding another physical move in place of Protect to offer extra offensive coverage.

Though Bounce gives you most super effective coverage you will have to wait a turn, so Ice Punch would be another move to use here. You could also use Liquidation to offer a move powerful STAB water move, aside from Aqua Jet. Bulldoze is another option if you want Ground coverage, and the ability to reduce your opposing Pokemon's Speed stat.

Ur worst nitemare (Raichu) @ Focus Sash Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature Timid Nature
- Fake Out / Encore
- Volt Switch
- Protect Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power

Raichu's Lightening Rod Ability is a must when leading with Azumarill, and it's main use on the first turn is to outspeed and nullify any threat to Belly Drum with Fake Out. With what I've seen on showdown, the new fake out user of choice seems to be incineroar. However I'm not inclined to switch up this years old partnership now.
Volt Switch is an essential move for me, allowing Raichu a free pass to safety. Hidden Power Ice is also very useful as a general offensive move which is why I use it, but I constantly change that last slot to Encore when I fancy it.
Not really sure why you're using Focus Sash, unless you're attempting to ensure yourself a pivot via Volt Switch. Unless that's the tactic you're going for, Life Orb would be probably overall move sustainable for offense.

Speaking of which, you should consider adding Thunderbolt in place of Protect, since you really don't have any recovery, and your only electric move forces you to switch unless you don't have any more Pokemon. Not to mention Fake Out serves more than a utility, though Encore is a feasible option as well.

That said, you may opt for Timid Nature instead, since you are primarily using special attacks.

Lal Singh (Talonflame) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge / Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Talonflame is always useful to come in on a Volt Switch and quickly deal with Azumarills weaknesses with that sweet, sweet priority, and then U-Turn back out to safety. Brave Bird and Flame Charge are self explanatory, and setting up tailwind in anticipation of an opponents is always a winner. In fact, one of my favourite things to do with this team (apart from ohko'ing mons with the qt blue mouse) is to constantly switch between raichu and talonflame, and spamming Fake Out.

You could use Adamant Nature to power-up Brave Bird a bit, and you do have Flame Charge & Tailwind to increase your Speed stat. Speaking of which, having both seems redundant, thus consider using Flare Blitz instead of Flame Charge. Besides, Tailwind benefits the whole team; Flame Charge only benefits Talonflame. Not to mention Tailwind would go first, assuming that's the first move you make, or you don't get damaged by the time you get to use it.

Another point to make, if you are using Talonflame for more than a kamikaze Pokemon, you may want to add in a Rapid Spinner/Defog user to spin or blow Stealth Rock away.

Serious Shroom (Breloom) @ Choice Band Focus Sash/Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SpE
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance Rock Tomb

Normally this spot would be taken by Garchomp or Mega Heracross for me, although I have run The Serious Shroom before. In recent years I've come to appreciate the giant shield bug more and more. However that is impossible in the new ruleset, which is fine by me tbh because Technician Breloom is one of the best Pokémon out there when it comes to doubles. Spore isn't his only utility, and when he switches into a tailwind from talonflame he can be a beast. Mach Punch and Bullet Seed are there to take advantage of that yuge attack state, and swords dance can be useful if for some reason I lead with Breloom and Talonflame.
Not sure why you have Choice Band with you have Spore & Swords Dance on the same set. If you are determined to use a Choice item then Choice Scarf is an option if you really want to get a Spore off, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Speaking of the two moves, since you do have Technician, you could use Rock Tomb in place of Swords Dance, offering you extra coverage, and messing with your opposing Pokemon's Speed stat.

As for an item, if you did not use Focus Sash for Talonflame, Breloom would be a good candidate for it to get off a Spore. Otherwise, you could opt for Choice Scarf for the sake of Spore, but you will be locked in.

That said, if you do go the Focus Sash route for Breloom, you could opt for Adamant Nature instead, since Focus Sash will guarantee Spore (assuming Spore does not miss or gets absorbed), and you have a priority move (and an opposing Speed lowering move in Rock Tomb).

£2 Louis Vuitton (Cinccino) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Skill Link
Hasty Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Rock Blast

My second replacement for Mega-Heracross, and useful in its own right, Cinccino is the most recent addition to this team. Before I discovered the giant shield bug I would use cloyster, and skill link + shell smash is no joke. However, I wanted something a bit more.......

Pretty.

And cinccino fits the bill. Coupled with Raichu Volt switching and fake out flinching a threat, and then skill linking rock smash, it can be a real treat. And my days, imagine what it does to someone's ego to be beaten by a fake fur wearing, middle aged - but halfway to being a cougar - fabulous 4ft 9 mouse.

I LOVE IT.
Not sure how this contributes to the team's overall success, since you have way too many physical attackers, and this Pokemon's slot only seems redundant in the grand scheme of things.

We now have an opportunity address a few issues I see with this team: lack (not none via Raichu) of special offensive coverage, Rapid Spin/Defog support (specifially for Talonflame), and lack of special bulk.

One option to cover move special offense would be Nidoking, provided you have not used Choice Scarf yet:

Nidoking
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpE
Moveset:
Sludge Wave
Earth Power
Fire Blast/Flamethrower (power vs accuracy
Thunderbolt/Ice Beam (last slot depends on team needs & preference)

For more special tankiness, Goodra is another option:

Goodra
Item: Assault Vest
Nature: Modest
Ability: Sap Sipper / Gooey
EVs: [4 DEF / 252 SpA / 252 SpD] / [252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD]
Moveset:
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast/Flamethrower (power vs accuracy)
Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb (depending whether you want spread or single coverage)
Thunderbolt/Ice Beam (team needs & preference)

For a Special Wall & Defog user, Florges is an option:

Florges
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Moveset:
Defog
Protect
Moonblast
Psychic/Hidden Power [FIRE]

Shocky (Galvantula) @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Protect

This is the weakest link. I hardly ever use Galvantula, and when I do its really only to sticky Web + Spam accurate thunder. I couldn't really think of a final pokemon and didn't want to use any ubers, and I had experience with running galvantula with talonflame and breloom before. But it's deadweight, and that's one thing I do not want. I've thought about running garchomp in it's place, but then thought about running something that can stand against rain (which is already running rampant, I tried it myself before I got bored with ludicolo and pals)
Frankly, with Talonflame providing Tailwind, and assuming you're using the opposed Speed reduction moves I stated, Sticky Web seems quite redundant. If you're set on using entry hazards, you're probably better off using Stealth Rock or Spikes. With that, you could opt for using Forretress or Ferrothorn instead, depending whether grass or bug coverage matters to you.

Forretress
Item: Rocky Helmet/Normal Gem/Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 ATK / 252 DEF
IVs: 0 SpE IVs (power-up Gyro Ball)
Moveset:
Spikes/Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin/Explosion
Gyro Ball
Bug Bite/Earthquake/Protect

Normal Gem if you're going to Explosion; Leftovers if opting for Protect; Rocky Helmet for all else.

Ferrothorn
Item: Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 ATK / 252 DEF
IVs: 0 SpE IV
Moveset:
Spikes/Stealth Rock
Leech Seed/Protect
Gyro Ball
Power Whip

Note that you could make this a special wall of sorts by using Sassy & max SpD EVs instead of what the above set states, but you do not have a physical wall on board. The rest is very similar to Forretress.

Back