• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tiger Moms

Years
Spoiler:

Definition and background in the spoiler. Do you agree with the super-strict version of parenting, or a more relaxed one? Does it actually produce smarter children? (Hint: some studies suggest it doesn't)

Thoughts?

Years
The parenting style has to match the personality of the child. It's all about the child in the end. If he or she is not receptive to a strict parenting style, then it's only going to cause problems. Chua was successful at engaging her daughter, and that to me is the main factor in successful parenting. As long as you engage the child in whatever, no matter how you do it, you're being a good parent.

droomph

weeb
Years
I think most Asian parents (and otherwise strict parents) just tend to throw money and resources at the kid with the hopes of having one or two stick.

But let me tell you, if you carefully get to know your child and actually give them stuff in a way that is acceptable to them, they can get a million times more stuff for a millionth of the cost.

Maybe some people operate with strict parents, and I understand. But many others don't. So you have to match your children's personality or else all the strictness and extracurricular activities will fail miserably and you'll have a kid who hates you forever for what you did to them, etc.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I don't know about the rest of it, but what I got out of it is that threatening your kid (especially if you don't follow through) isn't nearly as effective as working together with them on something they're having trouble with.

Years
What may work in one culture may not necessarily fly in another. The U.S., by and large, lacks the societal discipline for this to catch on en masse, I think. From personal experience, I can tell you that people I have known that were raised in an ultra-strict, dictatorial household were in the fact more rebellious and such - all you need for a problem is a rigid system of parenting and a stubborn child. The real key is balance and flexibility. Know when to be hard or firm and when to ease off and let the child experiment or learn for themselves.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
I think it's a bad idea. Most Asians I know do not have parents who subscribed to that. Most Asian Americans don't have tiger mothers either. It's an idea that only represents a fraction of Chinese parents. Many of them will end up with normal jobs. I think Amy Chua is playing into ethnic stereotypes.

China's success has a lot to do with its government. Japan is not a communist government, and strict orderly emphasis has severely backfired. The phenomenon of hikikomori exists because of this. Also, Southeast Asians in the US and other countries are often less successful than East Asians.

She also fails to take into account the Chinese families who were in the US for generations. Many of them are unfamiliar with Asian etiquette, and many have non-Chinese ancestry.

I don't see the same stereotype where I live. The Chinese are barely better off than average people.

Years
I think Authoritarian parenting largely have negative effect on kids. For example, children that were raised in authoritarian environment usually have low self-esteem and/or are socially awkward. Otherwise they might be more aggressive when they get older if they want to vent their frustration toward others.

Back