Thread: [Pokémon] Yggdrasil - Rated T
View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2017 (8:14 PM).

Nature: Adamant
    Spoiler:
    3.4. fear and love and loathing.
    part iv

giratina’s p.o.v.

It took a fair amount of time before Giratina discovered that there existed a meadow of those grassy rats. It was an entirely accidental discovery by means of Regigigas taking it on a “tour” of the northern reaches of Sinnoh, and stumbling upon the hidden Flower Meadow past the Seabreak Path. It hoped that it at least looked damn terrifying, coming in there roaring and stomping. To his immense pleasure, they all went flying at the sight of him.

“You’re here?” a young voice said from over his shoulder. He spun around, jaws open on instinct, and a flying shaymin easily dodged with a peeved expression. “I’ve heard of you, Giratina of the Distortion World. You cause trouble for every generation of shaymin.”

“It’s my fault?” he sputtered indignantly. “The story is twisted coming from your mouth.”

“It was the word of Esteemed Elder,” he protested, flying close enough that Giratina could see fury in his scarlet eyes. “It never lies.”

“The Elder, eh? Where is this old fart?” The shaymin bristled further but kept himself under control.

“Why would I lead you over? So that you could eat it?”

“Contrary to popular belief,” Giratina said coolly, “I am not a vegetarian.”

“You—”

“Yes, me,” it interrupted. “And anyhow, I’m here as a guest who also happens to be a
    legendary pokémon higher up the hierarchy than yourself, which also means I’m closer to Arceus’ godly ears. Maybe I’m not asking nicely enough,” it supposed, relishing that blasted shaymin’s incensed expression. “May I please have a word with this Esteemed Elder of yours?”

“…As you wish, Giratina,” he grumbled. Giratina pretended not to notice the swarm of bladed leaves that went flying his way as he was led across the field of multicolored, nose-clogging flowers. The sun’s rays were extraordinarily powerful and beat relentlessly on his semisolid skin, and with every heavy step of his, the tiny pokémon nestling under the plants dispersed into the wind. Soon, the repeating backdrop shifted to miniature mounds and burrows that he assumed the shaymin slept in. They were banked by a lake so clear that Suicune would shrivel in jealously at the sight of it.

“Could it be any brighter out here?” Giratina groused.

“Some of us thrive in the sunlight, you chthonic ghost,” Shaymin muttered.

“Yes, and other, better creatures thrive in darkness.”

“Oh, you mean like moss?” he replied innocently, and had the gall to grow a bushel of the blue-green stuff and wad it up on Giratina’s mouth guards. Giratina let out a cutting laugh as he turned intangible, letting it fall to the ground.

“Very amusing, Shaymin,” he said, eyes glinting. “In comparison, my talents aren’t nearly as versatile. I can only do a simple trick with mirrors…” As they passed the lake, Giratina brushed the tip lightly with his tail. The water rippled before sucking inwards, and bounced back with a large and blocky object that slammed Shaymin from the sky and onto the graciously soft bluegrass. While he struggled with the old television set, Giratina continued towards the largest cave in the area.

“Look, look, it’s the Giratina that Elder is always talking about!” a smaller shaymin said to a whismur. He had to admit he was feeling pretty big, being a warning among the shaymin community. He opened his mouth guards and spread his wings to look extra terrifying as Shaymin grunted something under his breath that sounded suspiciously like “son of an itch.”

To say the inside of the cave was a tight fit would be like saying Sootopolis City was a little wet. It was a formation made for things shaymin-sized, and Giratina was not that. Luckily, the advantage of being semisolid was that he could shift his general build within the confines of his Altered Form, and he shrunk down until the rocky walls were only a slight bother. Inside was even more fit to burst of foliage than outdoors, and the scents made his nose itch terribly, but he had a strong suspicion that if he sneezed, he would blow away the fragile skeleton that was their Elder.

“Brother,” she said in a fatigued yet cheery voice, rising on shaky feet. She was in Sky Form like the others, but her feathers were ruffled and bent out of shape, and her leaves were wilted and browning at the tips. Still, those ruby eyes were as defiant as they were years ago. How many years ago would that be in underworld time? He felt sick not knowing.

“I am not your brother,” he snarled, tucking his wings tightly among the ridges of his armor. Elder Shaymin tittered, utterly pleased with herself still. Her primary feathers vibrated with her laughter.

“As you say,” she replied, jumping into the air. Her wings pumped slowly, but sadly there was no sight of her falling anytime soon as she hovered about his head. He snapped, or at least made his best attempt to, but the lack of space made it hard to connect with his target. “How have you been?”

“Fine, until I found this place,” he replied edgily, his shoulders grating against the walls as he backed away and out of the cave. Shaymin watched him with wide eyes before following, flapping up to rest on the roof.

“This is our home,” she said brightly, waving a paw around to the endless expanse of pasture and flora. “Hundreds of generations of us since the earth was conceived. Did you know that, before we were here, this was simply a mound of dirt in the water? But with us came the meadows, and with the meadows came thousands of pokemon species that now call this place home.”

“Is that so,” he ground out. Envy was not his prime emotion when faced with shaymin, but knowing that their existence provided homes and lives while his did little more than convenience/inconvenience those around him was humbling. For a second, he wished they would trade places, then he swore at himself for thinking that nonsense. He shook his head with a low growl. “Shaymin, Elder Shaymin, whatever—how long has it been since we last fought within my world?”

“Since then, it’s been…” She crouched and folded her legs beneath her, tucking her wings in. “Hmm… Somewhere in the range of one hundred years… No, wait, three hundred would be more accurate. Somewhere between three hundred and three-fifty.”

Three hundred years. That was well through a shaymin’s existence, then again grass-types lived generally shorter lives than other pokemon, especially when said pokemon were legendary pokemon. It shook its head slowly in disbelief. “Time passes,” Giratina said absently.

“Indeed it does.”

“But, if all this time has passed, why haven’t you return—” Giratina cut off upon realizing the implications of what it was saying, but Shaymin understood nonetheless.

“That is to say, you wanted me to be there fighting with you?” she said with a smile. “You liked that?”

“I didn’t say all that!” She chuckled.

“Well, I found more interesting things to do, no offense,” she replied a bit cheekily. “Some of these children are mine, you know.” There weren’t many legendaries that could freely reproduce—as a matter of fact, they were almost all genderless, including the ones who could reproduce, but some had special circumstances that exempted them from being infertile, such as the fact that grass-types reproduced by seeds and not physically—and envy for them was much more common. But Giratina was never one to buy into the whole family situation, perhaps because his own family had disillusioned him to the whole thing.

“They look like you.” He paused. “That’s a stupid thing to say.”

“Shaymin can look different,” she protested. “There are a lot of subtleties that a giant like you wouldn’t notice, I guess, but the more obvious differences would be in the types of grass and plants growing from our heads. Some grow barley, others bluegrass, others cotton, and the flowers can be poinsettias, daises, lilies…” She then jumped into a longer discussion of the species’ nuances, which Giratina found about as interesting as pulling teeth.

“Nevertheless,” he interrupted as Shaymin got into “the good part,” “I do believe you have better things to do than to speak with me.”

“You know what?” the Esteemed Elder said with a familiar, mischievous glint to her eyes, “I do have better things to do. There isn’t much fun to be had these days, being a legendary among pokemon much weaker than I. I constantly have to pull my punches. Now, if I was to fight someone on equal standing with me…”

“In layman’s terms, then, you want to battle me again?” He’d be lying if he said his blood didn’t light up at the sound of it.

“In formal terms, yes. In layman’s terms, now, then I want to battle you, Giratina.” Giratina stared for a couple of seconds before smirking.

“Well, it would be impudent of me to ignore the wishes of the Esteemed Elder, so I will have to agree.”

“Great!” she exclaimed with a grin that matched her youth far more than her old age. The prick shaymin returned with a deeper scowl than before, landing at her side. “I wish for the area to be cleared,” she told him. “I will be doing battle.”

“But, Esteemed Elder, none of us wish for you to be harmed,” he protested. She waved him off, still smiling.

“Don’t worry about me—I’ve survived a lot more than you can imagine! Now, please?”

“A…As you wish.” He flew down to the ground, and after a moment the grassland pokemon were clearing the area, hurrying towards their burrows with eager eyes peeking over the lips. Giratina backed away an acceptable distance from Elder Shaymin, who kept her place with the beam still clear on her face. “This battle will be between the Esteemed Elder and…Giratina,” he said with significantly less energy. “Both pokemon will fight until one or both cannot rise again. Let the battle…commence!”

“This’ll be fun!” Elder Shaymin exclaimed. Giratina grimaced—did she really consider their previous scuffles some version of “fun?”—but before he could process the thought, she was on him. He had forgotten how fast she could be at times—within the span of a heartbeat, she was back in the air and on him, and by the time he managed to jump backwards, she had already struck him across the face and was several feet away skidding across the grass when he had recovered. His face stung, and he wondered how speedy an old shaymin could possibly be.

Giratina planted its hoofs into the ground with a warning snarl, then released a widespread Flamethrower. Shaymin ran in a tight arc before leaping onto a spongey fungus that launched it into a highspeed spin that took it higher and higher, easily clearing the flames’ reach.
    I have wings too, prick, it thought angrily, pumping them and launching into the air. It wasn’t as fast, but it gained more altitude with each stroke, both due to raw strength and its ability to nearly nullify its weight totally. Shaymin made a short note of surprise as Giratina rounded on it, then gasped aloud as its tail went swinging. It tried to dodge but was a beat too slow, and Giratina had it spinning back towards the earth.

“Elder!” the other Shaymin cried. “Don’t lose to that degenerate Giratina!” Giratina rolled his eyes—what an asskisser, that one. Elder Shaymin maybe did find the cry encouraging, because afterwards she righted herself with a swirling ball of green and watery energy forming in the air between them. The Energy Ball shot wide of Giratina and he dodged with a smirk, then turned back to see Shaymin glowing bright green. She lowered her head and a cloud of golden seeds exploded into his face.

“Aagh!” he shouted, shaking his head furiously. He was forced to shut his eyes against the blinding pain, and without them he was left defenseless as Shaymin struck at the soft bits of skin between his armor over and over again.

“Things never change, do they, Brother?” she jeered. He growled and swung back and force, clipping only air and grass as the true target of his rage flipped and flitted about easily. He remembered a time when he was envious of that too, a Shaymin’s intrinsic mastery of the air. For him, he basically fumbled his way around, especially in Altered Form.

“For your sake, you better hope that things are the same!” he warned as he hit the ground with a heavy whump! It sounded like all the pokemon cleared his way and he didn’t feel any tiny bodies squish beneath his hooves. “Time out!”

“What is it?” the bastard shaymin sighed. Giratina blinked heavily a few times but couldn’t manage a better sight than a watercolor world. Still, it was better than nothing.

“Your Elder Shaymin is in its natural element,” it told the shaymin. “Shouldn’t I be owed the same?”

“I’m sorry that we cannot transfer your twisted dimension over,” it replied dryly. Giratina stamped a hoof, sending the little pokemon scattering once more.

“Then do me one better! Over there is my Orb—bring it here.” Giratina didn’t think it would need it, but now it seemed that the playing field needed levelling. Shaymin groused and grumbled but flew over to the area, rolling the Griseous Orb that was twice its size over to its owner. Giratina nestled up to it gratefully, feeling the familiar energy of his world flow through the cool surface and warm his skin. His body lightened and his wings shifted into more solid talons that curled into his sides at the sunlight. More importantly, his mouth guards sealed up, protecting a good fifty percent of his face from further injury.

“Are you prepared now, Distortion Pokémon?” Shaymin asked with a tone that said it couldn’t be less interested whether the answer was affirmative or not. Giratina snorted and turned back to the other annoying green rat.

“Does this answer your question?” Elder Shaymin wasn’t ready to dodge as Giratina rushed over, snaking across the grass to coil about it. Shaymin’s small size was no advantage as Giratina pulled tighter and tighter until it finally let out a pitiful breath.

“Hurts—!” it cried.

“Yes, it does,” Giratina agreed, getting close to it. Shaymin’s eyes were pointed, sharper, but still it was defiant, still it persisted. Giratina nodded once in acknowledgement of its long-time adversary before squeezing even tighter. Shaymin’s body glowed green again and Giratina turned its face away, but this time it had another trick: the grass and flowers around them broke away and began swirling faster and faster, forming a funnel of foliage that sliced itty-bitty papercuts into Giratina’s skin. “Was this supposed to hurt?”

“No,” Shaymin choked out. The plants came to a standstill for a single breath, then they were propelled high into the air where they were compressed as if by a giant hand and formed into a massive leaf that eclipsed the painful sun. “This.” The leaf raised, then flapped down. The ensuing energy wave was so strong that Giratina was forced back into solid form, then the gust that followed was so powerful that Giratina was sent rolling across the field. After a while he stopped himself by rooting its talons, and just in time: a second later and it would’ve plunged into the water, and swimming was not one of its many skills.

“Loser,” Elder Shaymin said, landing right at the epoch of its mouth guards. Giratina hissed in outrage.

“The battle has not been decided yet!”

“Loser loser loser,” it repeated, buffering Giratina with its wings. It roared in indignation, sending Shaymin flying, but as it tried to rise it found itself stuck. When it glanced over, it saw that thick green vines had sprouted around its talons and served as chains binding it to the earth. “You shouldn’t have given my seeds a chance to take root.”

“You—you—”

“Giratina is unable to rise,” said the other shaymin with far too much smugness. “Therefore, I conclude the winner—the obvious winner from the start—to be our Esteemed Elder.”

“I had fun,” Elder Shaymin said, slowing its descent until it hit the ground.

“Augh! You bastard!” Giratina roared, struggling and straining to no avail. Pokémon were drawing close, observing it like a sort of sideshow, and its anger grew to boiling point. The next one that dared to step near, Giratina slammed its tail down on whoever the poor bastard was.

“Son of a rattata!” Shaymin exclaimed, stroking his damaged wings. Mud stained his white feathers, probably from when he face-planted, and Giratina would’ve been lying if he said that he didn’t get some pleasure from the sight. “This is why you should remain in your world, rather than destroy ours!” he growled, gesturing to the uprooted land and crushed flora all around them.

“Excuse me, this was a two-part job here.”

“Yes, but can you regrow plants within the span of a few seconds?” he demanded acerbically. Giratina rolled his eyes.

“I don’t know about that, but I can regrow indifference magically quickly.”

“Things like you have one place to be, and that is away from everyone else. I’d think Arceus a genius, then, for shoving you in the corner as he did.”

“That is enough!” Elder Shaymin said, but it was too late. Giratina was back in the air, huge gobs of earth dripping from the vines that it had dragged along, eyes glowing even brighter than the sun.

“I hope you’ve already said your final goodbyes,” he snarled, sinking into the shadows below. Shaymin jumped into the air but its ruffled wings couldn’t hold it, and it sunk down into Giratina’s open and waiting maw. Giratina only had time to savor its shocked yell before the Elder swooped in like the hero it had to be, snatching its wayward child and carrying it to safety. Giratina’s Origin Form dissolved and it hit the ground with a dissatisfied grunt.

“Giratina!” the Esteemed Elder cried, anything but cheer on its face now. Its not-nearly-as-interesting son gave him a death glare that easily carried across the uprooted ground. “I believe it’s time you take your leave.”

“Great,” it said, snatching up its Griseous Orb before taking off.
    It’s not as if I’ve ever expected to be buddy-buddy with the Shaymin population, it thought with a grimace as it broke through the cloud barrier. It’s not like I needed another set of enemies on my already long list, however. In any case, I don’t think I’ll ever have a problem with those rats.