• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I just downloaded this last night and I am already loving it! Crystal was my favourite Pokemon game growing up, and playing through it again with all the new features is going to be so much fun!

I also discovered something while trading with vanilla Crystal - if the Pokemon on vanilla is holding a Great Ball, the item turns into a Master Ball on this new version! (Trade back and forth for an hour for extra Master Balls, am I right?) I then read on the thread that some of the items have been moved around so this oddity now makes complete sense! Other than held items sometimes not matching up, provided you visit the Name Rater and rename the Pokemon so their names aren't all in caps I haven't found any problems trading with vanilla GSC (yet! I'm not very far into the game so I still need to experiment with this.)

Anyways, great job Rangi for making this!! It's gonna be awesome to go back to this game again!

Cool, I'm glad you like it! Crystal would be my favorite too; I started with Gold, and then Crystal added little enhancements here and there that just made the whole game better.

3.0 is going to break trading with the vanilla games—I don't know if it will be glitchy or just not work—because the Pokémon data structure is much closer to the modern one. Six IVs, EVs instead of stat experience (albeit with no 510 EV limit), a personality value that determines things like shininess and gender, even tracking what Ball it was captured in. Oh, and abilities. Of course, you'll still be able to trade between two copies of PC 3.0.

Years
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Hey, great hack you have there! I'm loving it!

Just few things tho, I checked the FAQ and the Level-up moves and a few moves were off:

Gligar didn't learn Acrobatics at 22;
Typhlosion didn't learn Flamethrower at 46;
Misdreavous didn't learn Dazzlinglean when it evolved.

Edit: Forgot to mention I loved Wondertrade!! Used and abused lol.

Last edited:
Years
Hi there! I complied the last repository with the non-RTC command and I can confirm the game works in the ElCheapoSD flash cart from BennVenn!

BTW, did you change Explosion and Selfdesturct to don't halve the defender's defense before applying damage? I think that mechanic made said moves a lot less relevant in the current official metagame than it should. I would like to suggest to leave the defense halving mechanism intact to take full advantage of them.

Thanks a lot for your effort!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2017
Cool, I'm glad you like it! Crystal would be my favorite too; I started with Gold, and then Crystal added little enhancements here and there that just made the whole game better.

3.0 is going to break trading with the vanilla games—I don't know if it will be glitchy or just not work—because the Pokémon data structure is much closer to the modern one. Six IVs, EVs instead of stat experience (albeit with no 510 EV limit), a personality value that determines things like shininess and gender, even tracking what Ball it was captured in. Oh, and abilities. Of course, you'll still be able to trade between two copies of PC 3.0.

I'm looking forward to the update! I already found my first shiny (Jigglypuff on Route 34) and got a Sneasel through Wonder Trade. I have encountered a small thing - Psychic is listed as a Status move in its description, though the move appears to work normally as it should.

Will saves on this version be compatible when 3.0 comes out?

Unown Seer

Earnest
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2020
I'm getting my butt kicked by the Elite Four (specifically Karen, but the others took their toll). Has anyone else found them too hard? My Pokemon are in the 47-48 level range. I assume that all of the opposing Pokemon have perfect EVs.

Also, a list of TMs and their locations would be nice. Right now I need to know where I can find the Calm Mind TM (assuming there is one, and that it's hopefully not saved for Kanto).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 19, 2018
Hey Rangi, love the hack, since you're planning on replacing Fury Cutter as a reward for bugsy, have you thought of making softboiled into a tm and letting roost users learn it? i mean, birds lay eggs, right? that way falkner gets closer to giving his HGSS rewards.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hey Rangi, love the hack, since you're planning on replacing Fury Cutter as a reward for bugsy, have you thought of making softboiled into a tm and letting roost users learn it? i mean, birds lay eggs, right? that way falkner gets closer to giving his HGSS rewards.

Roost itself exists (replaced Metal Sound). Falkner gives it to you.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Will there be an update to change to the Gen 6+ EXP system? Where pokemon switched in gain full EXP rather than shared?

It's just that I know you won't be adding the Gen 6+ EXP Share and with the old EXP system as it is, levelling up is just incredibly tedious.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 12, 2023
A song I would like to hear is an 8-bit version of "Don't Ever Forget" from Pok?mon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. Don't know how it would fit in but the thought just occurred to me as I replay the game. Another thought: A cool Easter egg would be an 8-bit version of the original Pok?mon anime theme song when interacting with a TV.

Years
Hi there! I've just finished my first playthrough of the latest 3.0 beta and I want to share some insight based in my experience:

- First of all I do agree that ginding can be troublesome specially mid-Johto as the wild encounters are pretty shallow in terms of base EXP. However Wonder Trade access guarantees some speed up as long as you respect badge restrictions regarding foreigner Pokemon. Also, the Breeder in Route 43 is a pretty solid source of EXP, just watch out for the Munchlax!

- The TM selection from the fist half of the game is pretty lame... There is a huge lack of relevant offensive moves and support ones. I really missed Mud-Slap as a TM for Ground coverage, also there isn't any Rock type TM available until Kanto (the Rollout TM was replaced with Hone Claws).

- I do agree that there must be a little more variety of setup moves, as setup sweepers are the only ones that can break past some Pokes like Lapras or Snorlax due the added bulk provided by the lack of EV restrictions. Shell Smash and Quiver Dance are the most obvious candidates for implementation, specially considering that these moves would benefit all the potential users regarding offensive and balance battle styles.

- Speaking of the prior point, PHazing and Entry Hazards would be great to counter such strategies, but with a lack of Stealth Rock and stackable Spikes the battle pace feels slow.

- Some items make little to no sense within the current state of the game: Power items are useless without EV limits, as Macho Brace allows a more efficient EV training; White and Power Herb are pretty niche without Overheat-like moves or SolarBeam-like ones.

- Regarding move bugs, Close Combat lowers the target Sp. Def. upon contact and Gyro Ball isn't properly coded at all as it always stays at 1 BP.

- Now, regarding additionally move/niche suggestions without Drill Run Dodrio and Beedrill are not so menacing, Avalanche without the proper mechanic is also useless due the negative priority and Icicle Crash covers the same niche. Heat Wave is relevant, as Zapdos, Pidgeot, Honchkrow and Nasty Crobat can make good use of it.

- Speaking of Honchkrow, I noticed that Moxie doesn't boosts the user's Attack if it gets a KO with a special move or lowers its stats in the same turn (i.e.: grab a KO with Close Combat). Also, Speed Boost shouldn't activate in the switch, Intimidate doesn't activate multiple times in a match (making switching more risky), etc.

- Now, I guess there are some Pokes that are completly outclassed and could be removed: If Weezing is retyped as Poison/Dark makes Muk a lot less relevant, Dewgong is a worst Lapras and Dodrio doesn't offer any advantage over Pidgeot without Ground coverage. Also, baby Pokemon are like the "flagships" of Gen II, so maybe the chopped ones can return alongside Aipom/Ambipom or Delibird/Stantler.

- I have a little confusion regarding manga/game protagonists teams (ignoring the fact that both in the game and Adventures canon Green is "Gary" and Blue is the girl). Yellow team is canon with Pikachu/Omanyte/Graveler/Doduo/Raticate/Butterfree, so no complaints there, but Blue's (Green) team makes no sense at all... it doesn't follow his Gen I Champion team (It can function pretty well without starters) neither his manga team, and that makes the following encounters with the rest of the Dex holders messy as well (not to mention that Green (Blue) team can make use of the Legendary Birds without being forced as the final boss).

- I know that some scripts in Kanto aren't finished, but the lack of forewarning about the chopped quests seems odd... Like the Machine Part quest, or the Expn Card one.

- Finally I must say that I was surprised to know what the Armor Suit does! Maybe it's a nice precursor of Mega Stones, but the lack of base stat enhancement is disappointing.

Well, sorry for the text wall, but I wanted to contribute with my feedback before the ideas became blurry in my mind! Thanks a lot for this amazing experience!

Best regards!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 27, 2023
How do I get access to Mt Silver? I got all 16 badges and beat the elite four again and whenever I talk to the guy in the way he just says how there's powerful pokemon.

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
Fixed the Close Combat bug. Avalanche is already correctly implemented. Can't reproduce the Moxie issue, can you post a more detailed way to reproduce it?

Years
Fixed the Close Combat bug. Avalanche is already correctly implemented. Can't reproduce the Moxie issue, can you post a more detailed way to reproduce it?

I've uploaded a video showcasing the issues mentioned in my prior post: https://youtu.be/StALqD_BWUQ

In the first battle the Jynx gets KO'd by Close Combat and the Defense drops override the Ability activation.
In the second battle the Weezing gets KO'd by Fire Blast and the Ability doesn't trigger.

I showcase the entire battles to demonstrate that the bug is punctual, if the foe gets KO'd by a physical move the Ability triggers and the Attack boost is applied (done damage calculations with Drill Peck as it fails to OHKO things without the boost)

Aditionally, how about Gyro Ball? The move is present in the current moveset of a very promiment NPC fight, so it needs to be revised.

I'm hoping the provided information can be useful.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I've uploaded a video showcasing the issues mentioned in my prior post: https://youtu.be/StALqD_BWUQ

In the first battle the Jynx gets KO'd by Close Combat and the Defense drops override the Ability activation.
In the second battle the Weezing gets KO'd by Fire Blast and the Ability doesn't trigger.

I showcase the entire battles to demonstrate that the bug is punctual, if the foe gets KO'd by a physical move the Ability triggers and the Attack boost is applied (done damage calculations with Drill Peck as it fails to OHKO things without the boost)

Aditionally, how about Gyro Ball? The move is present in the current moveset of a very promiment NPC fight, so it needs to be revised.

I'm hoping the provided information can be useful.

Best regards!

"This video is unavailable :/"

I think videos default to Private, that could be why.

Years
After watching the video and reading some of your comments, I believe I may have played an alternate version of your hack somehow o.o? I went through all of the game without realizing Pokemon had abilities like Moxie or Intimidate, rather on that page where it tells you I could see things like "The Pokemon is Proud of it's Power" and what nonsense. Guess I'm going to repatch and replay, not like I mind I love this game

yd5pCaC.png

Edit: So I actually ended up figuring out how to use Github to compile the thing and the thing and re-patched and I still don't see a difference? This time my Cyndaquill is bashful and likes to be silly lol. I'm going to assume based on the font of the text that the person above is playing a more updated version for now! It's 4:20 am and I'm gonna get some shut eye. Good night!

Last edited:
Back