• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you know Magmar's japanese name is...

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • ..I'll leave it to you guys to find out. So basically, what are some mons do you feel have weird foreign names?

Years
  • I wonder if someone at Game Freak just looked at Magmar's head and thought, "That's it! I've got the perfect name for this Pokemon!".

Umbreon's Japanese name is another rough one. It's a descriptive name, sure, but having a Pokemon named Blacky in English probably wouldn't go over too well.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Mandibuzz's Japanese name is Vulgina. And Mandibuzz is 100% female...Yeah.
    (It's supposed to be vulture + Regina (queen). Still...)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Translation oversights or just a lack of care about sensibilities and the like, I suppose. As for Blacky, Jolteon was basically 'Thunders' so clever names were never always a thing, haha. And besides, we have Lickilicky...

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • ..I'll leave it to you guys to find out. So basically, what are some mons do you feel have weird foreign names?

Sorry dude, but it's name isn't adult based, allow me to quote dogasu backpack's name pun of it

buusuto (ブースト), "boost"
    baan (バーン), "burn"

Ontopic

I have some from german dub like Apollo for Haunter, or Traumato for Drowzee, sounds like Tomato

I wonder if someone at Game Freak just looked at Magmar's head and thought, "That's it! I've got the perfect name for this Pokemon!".

Um see above to see it's true name meaning

Last edited:

PageEmp

Years
  • Sorry dude, but it's name isn't adult based, allow me to quote dogasu backpack's name pun of it

I know what it means of course, just wanted to point it out.

Mandibuzz's Japanese name is Vulgina. And Mandibuzz is 100% female...Yeah.
    (It's supposed to be vulture + Regina (queen). Still...)

Yeah I've heard of that one lol. I'm guessing it's pronounced differently there.

Years
  • Off the top of my head Vaporeon's Japanese name is horrible, Showers. I couldn't believe it when I saw the uncut, original Mewtwo Strikes Back and read the subtitles.

Articuno's is my next pick, the name is Freezer. The other legendary birds do not have the most imaginative names but Freezer is conjuring up the mental image of the top of a refrigerator.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Off the top of my head Vaporeon's Japanese name is horrible, Showers. I couldn't believe it when I saw the uncut, original Mewtwo Strikes Back and read the subtitles.

Articuno's is my next pick, the name is Freezer. The other legendary birds do not have the most imaginative names but Freezer is conjuring up the mental image of the top of a refrigerator.

1.Well be glad, Flareon's original name isn't Flamers as in "Fire Flames" like Vaporeon's is based off "Rain Showers"
    2.Speaking of Freezer/Articuno, it's the name of the DBZ villain Freeza in some dubs and in some subtitles

Years
  • 1.Well be glad, Flareon's original name isn't Flamers as in "Fire Flames" like Vaporeon's is based off "Rain Showers"
    2.Speaking of Freezer/Articuno, it's the name of the DBZ villain Freeza in some dubs and in some subtitles

Very glad. I thought about Freiza too! That would have been an unfortunate comparison indeed. Luckily that was fixed, otherwise trolls would have a field day at the expense of a lovely Vaporeon T_T

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Very glad. I thought about Freiza too! That would have been an unfortunate comparison indeed.

No offence, but as some female Sylveon said, "use the correct spelling", it's "Frieza" if you use his american name, not "Freiza", but yeah i always use Freeza so why not use this instead?

But heck i can't spell Growlithe correctly too (did i spelled it's species right now?)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Man, some Gen 1 Japanese names are incredibly uninspired compared to the English ones. Which is why Krabby is literally just. "Crab". Like the English word. (Because English is trendy and cool!) But the best/weirdest one, especially when transcribed in English, is how Jolteon is "Thunders" and Zapdos is "Thunder". Same gen, basically the same name. Someone wasn't feeling creative one day, lol.

After that... I'm not too familiar with names besides the English and Japanese ones... except for French, but honestly the French names are awesome.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    eF-eM and UHaFnir, and no, I didn't mess up the capitalization on either of those. German for Noibat and Noivern, respectively, coming from FM and ultra high frequency (the radio waves), although they added fafnir in there as well to reference it being a dragon.

PageEmp

Years
  • eF-eM and UHaFnir, and no, I didn't mess up the capitalization on either of those. German for Noibat and Noivern, respectively, coming from FM and ultra high frequency (the radio waves), although they added fafnir in there as well to reference it being a dragon.

I remember seeing those somewhere too. Yeah I know, it is pretty weird.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Back on topic, i found it weird for Abra's evolutions to be named after illusionists/mystics in japan

BTW what Simsala (Alakazam's german name) is named after?

Last edited:
    Back