• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Maybe I should post a fic, but I'm still new.

EkaSwede

Bouncy Bitter Bagel
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2015
So, yeah, I figured this section would be the smartest place to ask the question. So I planned to put up a fic on here, and I wondered if you just have to copy&paste it from your word processor onto the forum.

Well, I don't intend to rush completely, it's just that I don't want to make a fool out of myself and rush it like a maniac.

I could say that the fic isn't really THAT original, but I still wish to share a piece of work that others might enjoy. So... yeah, it's actually another PMD fic, and it's kinda somehwat of a novelization of the first game. Although I've tried adding some twists, but they might be kinda generic and probably already done before. XD

So, any tips of how to post it on the forums? Thanks in advance!

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I personally type my chapters and edit them in Word, and then just c/p. I'm pretty sure that's the norm. Also, don't worry about being new: posting and getting feedback is the fastest way to improve.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Everyone has their own interpretation of an event. Even if you write a PMD fic based exactly on the game without any sort of twists added to it, it will be different because you don't write the same as someone else. So I'm just saying that don't be afraid to post your fic just because it might have been done before. You never know if the way you tell it is a new and exciting way to readers.

As for the actual fic-writing process itself, you're already doing good by writing in a word processing program. That means you can save your fic and read it over again before you post it to catch mistakes or change things at your own pace. When you think the chapter is ready to be posted, just copy-paste into a new thread, preview the post to make sure it shows up correctly (and that you don't have any wonky tags), and you're all set. Just make sure your fic follows the rules.

If you want to get a better feel for this section, hang out in the Fanfiction Lounge. They're a friendly bunch over there, so go have fun. Also, to attract more reviewers, you can post in the Fanfiction Announcement Thread whenever you post a new chapter.

EkaSwede

Bouncy Bitter Bagel
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2015
Wow, thanks. :D

Though, I have some chapters written already, so I wondered about language filter. In some rare chapters, even the f-bomb is dropped, and then there's some other harsh word such as the D word...
So, to deal with them, should I just censor them with stars, or just put in other words?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Warn for them. If the swear is occasional, then it's fine. If you're dropping the f-word every other word, then there's problems.

Really, just don't have swears in excess. Warn at the beginning of your fanfic that your story has swearing in it, and so people who don't want to read swears/kids who read things they shouldn't read but do anyhow and whine to their parents about it know what's going on with your story. You have fair warning before they actually read your fic, and that's the best you can do.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
Years
Though, I have some chapters written already, so I wondered about language filter. In some rare chapters, even the f-bomb is dropped, and then there's some other harsh word such as the D word...
So, to deal with them, should I just censor them with stars, or just put in other words?

The forum will automatically censor swears, but running up against a line of asterisks tends to annoy people more often than not. Pretty much do as Astinus said--warn at the start of the chapter--but you can also cheat your way around the swear filter by tagging one letter of the swear word in a different font (I usually use Verdana, it's near enough to the forum default that no one should notice the difference).

Years
You could replace the swear words with something silly to add a sense of humour to the situation, but that might ruin a serious situation. It isn't really hard to play around swear words though.
"You son of a shiny"

Back