• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Narcissism

Honest

Hi!
Years
  • I'm not sure if this thread's something I could do, but it's something I'd like to ask inb4 OCD but what's your opinion of narcissism. Is it something that's natural and understandable, or is it something that people use to grab attention?

I probably could praise that better, but it's nearly midnight, so I'm dead. Holla!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • I think it depends on the size of the individual's ego. The bigger the ego, the more attention they want, and the more into themselves they are. It might be a natural occurrence for some, but it's hard to tell. This would be a fascinating psychological topic to study, but how would one study it? It's hard to measure...

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I must have a massive ego, then.

I don't know if its natural or not, but I can be really narcissistic at times and wish I could do me when I feel I'm really good looking. I'm also someone who thinks I'm really, really ugly sometimes, though, so it kind of balances out.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I think everybody is narcissistic, whether they want to believe it about themselves or not. Everybody thinks about themselves, and even when you have low self-esteem, in some aspects you think of yourself in a higher regard than other people, because you know your thoughts and you trust your brain, and you can't be as sure of anyone else's. Nobody gets you like you do, if that makes sense. Which it probably doesn't.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I'm an eleven year old Filipina with no clue on what narcissism is. But luckily Google is there to help me.

Narcissism is a term with a wide range of meanings, depending on whether it is used to describe a central concept of psychoanalytic theory, a mental illness, a social or cultural problem, or simply a personality trait. Except in the sense of primary narcissism or healthy self-love, "narcissism" usually is used to describe some kind of problem in a person or group's relationships with self and others. In everyday speech, "narcissism" often means egoism, vanity, conceit, or simple selfishness. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others. In psychology, the term is used to describe both normal self-love and unhealthy self-absorption due to a disturbance in the sense of self.
    I understood when I read the word 'vanity' and 'selfishness.'
    I'm probably in the middle. I'm not really vain, usually I don't care about what I look like to others. But sometimes I do. Sometimes, I'm very conscious of myself. I can be insecure most of the time. I'm neutral, I guess.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I have narcissism. I believe having and ego/being selfish, having confidence, and being narcissistic are completely different things. People with narcissism have a problem not only with criticism, but with their own feelings of grandiosity which I find is unappealing, hurtful, and dangerous most times. People who are narcissistic believe they are entitled to special treatment and really do think they are better than others; it hardly has anything to do with looks alone. I've had to deal with these sorts of people in the past and it is only these sorts of people who I can say I more than dislike.
    It is, after all, a personality disorder.

Back