• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)

What region should I focus on after this one?

• Johto

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • Kalos

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • Alola

Votes: 24 21.6%

• Total voters

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Welcome to the Unova region, folks!
    I've been working on a Pokemon Essentials game that follows the events of the BW anime series.This is the first of a game series I plan on making. All the episodes from Seasons 14 through 16 will be implemented in the game. I'll be releasing a new version around every 20 episodes, so be sure to check in often!​

Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)

Game Plot
    You are Ash Ketchum, the gutsy, impulsive, reckless, (and eternally young) trainer from Pallet Town. Having finished your journey across Sinnoh, you embark upon a vacation to the Unova region! Upon reaching there, you decide to stay and begin a brand new journey, with new friends and new Pokémon! How will your adventure play out? It's all up to you!
    Explore a revamped and remade Unova region! Explore all the anime-exclusive locations, towns and forests! Look out for special missions that give you rare items as rewards!

Features
    Play as Ash and travel across Unova
    Have the opportunity to catch all of Ash's Pokémon
    Relive all the episodes of the BW anime series
    Items Replace HMs
    A revamped (and much larger) Unova region
    FireRed/LeafGreen Styled Maps
    Original BW Music
    HD Interface
    Pretty Steep Difficulty Curve
    Note: This game uses Pokémon Fire Ash as a base, with permission from the creator.

Screenshots
    Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)
    Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)
    Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)Pokémon: Best Wishes Edition (Castelia City, Nimbasa City Update!)
    Credits
    -Maruno, Poccil, Flameguru- For Pokemon Essentials
    -Reinhartmax- For providing the base maps and inspiring me
    -Thundaga- For his awesome tutorials
    -Pokemon Zeta Omicron HD Resource Pack-For spicing up the GUI of the game
    -AveonTrainer, PKMNTrainerSpriterC and Alan Flygon-For their amazing overworld sprites
    -Ultimate BW Pack-For the Gen 5 trainer sprites and VS sprites
    -JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg FireRed-For his awesome base project which helped me a lot in my game.
    -Pokemon Castaway Resource Pack-For the Airport tileset
    -Mashirosakura and Young-Dante-Gen 4 and Gen 5 overworlds in Gen 3 style
    -HGSS OW Ash hat Pikachu-tintjemadelintje101
    -Unova Ash Diving sprites-Richard PT
    -Nintendo, Game Freak, and TPC-For Pokemon
    -Metapod23 lordindy Akuma-Tsubasa SketchFox7 and Alzatia - Misc
    -Magisccarf-For providing cool new tilesets
    -Amethyst and their group- For Pokémon Reborn and some very cool city tiles
    -Shiney570- For his BW2 Mod which really spruced up the game
    -Luka SJ- For the PWT Scripts, and title screen resources

**If I have missed someone, please do let me know, it's really hard to keep track of all the amazing people I've encountered along the way.

Team
    Me aka Soccersam
    Remer
    shar0407
    Braze

Progress So Far
    The game currently goes up to Nimbasa City. Season 14 is completely finished, and now Seasons 15 and 16 are in development.

Known Bugs
    1.Do not talk to the man in Route 1 who gives you a potion or your game will crash.
    2.The Striaton City Gym episode and the Dreamyard episode overlap with each other, i.e, if you exit the gym without getting the badge,say, to heal up, it will automatically trigger the Dreamyard episode.

If you find any bugs, or would like to suggest some improvements, feel free to do so in this thread.

Download
    Version 1.5 (Demo)
    https://mega.nz/file/rUEjVQLD#WddzBi1v1epiEejd39GMjHnemv3GkpvL5RU2wX4nu6Q

Once this game is done, or maybe even halfway through it, I will begin development on another anime-based game set in any region of choice! (Except Kanto and Orange Islands, there are enough games about those already). Do let me know which one you guys are most interested on seeing!

Last edited:
    Years
  • This seems like an interesting concept. I quite like the gen 5 games, though I think the anime was absolutely horrendous. Hopefully the game will be more fun to play through than the anime was to watch.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • I'v never actually watched more than two episodes of the BW/Unova seasons because I couldn't stand how terrible it was. However, a game night be more fun than actually watching it. I'm glad to see the other seasons getting attention as compared to the several Kanto ones. Good luck!

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    This seems like an interesting concept. I quite like the gen 5 games, though I think the anime was absolutely horrendous. Hopefully the game will be more fun to play through than the anime was to watch.
    Yeah, I actually kind of liked the BW anime series. It had a more serious note to it, and Team Plasma was just badass. The only thing I genuinely disliked were Ash's travelling companions.

I'v never actually watched more than two episodes of the BW/Unova seasons because I couldn't stand how terrible it was. However, a game night be more fun than actually watching it. I'm glad to see the other seasons getting attention as compared to the several Kanto ones. Good luck!
    Yeah, I have already played through several Kanto remakes already, and that was how I got the idea to make a game for the other seasons as well. As I said, this is the first game of a series I plan on making. Once I finish this, I will make a Kalos remake, followed by a Hoenn remake. The list of games is based on my favourite-to-least favourite anime seasons. Stay tuned!

And both of you, do check out the game and give me your feedback about it. It's always nice to see other people appreciating your work!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2023
    Download
    Version 1.04 (Demo)
    Link is down at the moment, will re-upload soon

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    Can't wait to play this one. Looks good any time frame when link will be back up

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2020
    I have a question, will this follow the BW anime to the letter - or will Ash & the player be able to also make a mark in the in-game story like in Ash Gray?

I'm referring too that in Ash Gray, Ash & the Player are able to completely win the Indigo League Conference.

Another example of the game is that in the episode where Ash & the gang find an Eevee but are incentivized to return the pokemon, Ash & the player can just flat out keep it.

The other example is catching the Aerodactyl that fights his Charizard.

It's clear that a Pokemon ROM hack that tries to replicate a certain story can't stop a player from catching pokemon that the stories don't intend for them to catch. But I won't lie that having that option to change a little bit of pokemon anime history, albeit it be small or large, is therapeutic considering the infamous legacy of this region... Also is the download link still available?

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Thank you for your support, everyone! I was away for quite some time due to real-life issues, but have recently resumed development. The new link should be up and running by later today!

I have a question, will this follow the BW anime to the letter - or will Ash & the player be able to also make a mark in the in-game story like in Ash Gray?

I'm referring too that in Ash Gray, Ash & the Player are able to completely win the Indigo League Conference.

Another example of the game is that in the episode where Ash & the gang find an Eevee but are incentivized to return the pokemon, Ash & the player can just flat out keep it.

The other example is catching the Aerodactyl that fights his Charizard.

It's clear that a Pokemon ROM hack that tries to replicate a certain story can't stop a player from catching pokemon that the stories don't intend for them to catch. But I won't lie that having that option to change a little bit of pokemon anime history, albeit it be small or large, is therapeutic considering the infamous legacy of this region... Also is the download link still available?

Yes, as much as possible, the game will follow the anime by the letter. Of course, there may be some exceptions, as not all events can be properly implemented in the game.

As of now, I do have plans to give the player a chance to win the Unova League, and unlike Ash Gray, I plan to progress the story in a different way in case you win.
    Thanks for checking out the game, and do let me know your thoughts once the demo is released!

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Soccersam Video : youtu.be/RVFy8RP_5jQ

Wow, that's nice!
    Someone reported a game-breaking bug in the Striaton City Pokemon Centre, so the link is down for now. Will be re-uploaded altogether with the Castelia City update within a few days!

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Bump! The game has been updated! All the episodes of Season 14 have been successfully implemented. Castelia CIty and Nimbasa City are now free to explore.

Years
  • So I played through the game once and it's surprisingly quite fun, compared to how bland the Gen 5 anime was. I noticed you were using maps from Pokemon Fire Ash. Was that intentional? I assume you got permission from the creator?
    Now, for some of my thoughts-
    1.The background music volume fluctuates randomly, most of the time the music is loud enough, but when you enter caves for example, the volume tends to go low. This happens more often than I'd like, so maybe that's something to look to?
    2.The trainer levels also fluctuate as I progress outside of Castelia City on towards Route 4. Trainers have Pokémon ranging from level 18 to level 26. The fluctuation gets more random as I progress.
    Other than that, it's very pleasant to play through, and I really like the aesthetics that try to mimick the Gen 5 games' feel as much as possible (the BW bag, BW menu, BW background and battle music, etc.)
    More to come as I play through.

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    So I played through the game once and it's surprisingly quite fun, compared to how bland the Gen 5 anime was. I noticed you were using maps from Pokemon Fire Ash. Was that intentional? I assume you got permission from the creator?
    Now, for some of my thoughts-
    1.The background music volume fluctuates randomly, most of the time the music is loud enough, but when you enter caves for example, the volume tends to go low. This happens more often than I'd like, so maybe that's something to look to?
    2.The trainer levels also fluctuate as I progress outside of Castelia City on towards Route 4. Trainers have Pokémon ranging from level 18 to level 26. The fluctuation gets more random as I progress.
    Other than that, it's very pleasant to play through, and I really like the aesthetics that try to mimick the Gen 5 games' feel as much as possible (the BW bag, BW menu, BW background and battle music, etc.)
    More to come as I play through.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I got permission from the creator of Fire Ash. It is given in the thread as well. The background music shouldn't fluctuate as you said, I'll have to look into that. As for the trainer levels, that was intentional from my part. As I said, there is a steep difficulty curve in the game.
    Thanks for playing, and I appreciate your feedback. Don't forget to vote in the poll as well.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    I have a question with the game, will you also include the corresponding movies from the BW saga? And will it be like that in the subsequent fangames of Ash's adventures?

Back