• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: Pokémon Emerald - ROM Base (Free to Use)

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    I've attached Light Clay to the Trainer's Pokemon, but I found it works like Rocky Helmet.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    Hello, I use version 1.1, but the experience allocation of exp.share is incorrect. I can get very little along with me, so can you list a repair method separately?😔

Li Yun

"Does the truth exist or is it all a lie and the w
    Years
  • I want to reuse the old battle background, what should I do?
    I don't like the current battle background so I want to use the old one again... I did it myself but it didn't change because I don't know how to change it in the game.
    Go to offset 147B270 and paste this:
    Spoiler:

Make sure you do a backup before the operation in case something goes wrong. If all goes well, you will have the old backgrounds.
    Just wanted to say that I've found this base incredibly useful so far.
    I'm having an issue with creating a new move with the effect of Rollout/Ice Ball. The move Rollout itself works fine, but when I try to create a new move with the same effect, the move just does the same amount of damage each turn instead of doubling. Other move effects seem to work fine. It's just Rollout that I'm having trouble with. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
    Some moves are not possible to replicate their effects through PGE alone. It would be necessary to create a new effect through the source code
    (programming in C) and then compile it. That's why maybe you're failing.
    In Granite Cave, there is a hiker that gives you HM Flash, however instead of Flash, you will obtain Dive.
    One can fix this by replacing the giveitem line with the correct hex for Flash (0x1BF).
    Also, in Mossdeep when you receive HM Dive from Steven, it is HM Rock Climb.
    After some tests, using PGE, you can find that there are two HM Flash. The 2nd one (not index 447) is actually HM Dive.
    Thanks for letting me know. I will fix and make an update available as soon as possible.
    Is the mod.exe patch installed as standard? I have seen changes in her game without installing mod.exe (fishing, running indoors and more options). If it needs to be installed, is it possible to do it after modifying trainers and routes in Advance Map? I don't know how to do it and I have seen that there is an option in mod.exe
    Another question, where do I find the item codes to edit in hex.
    Sorry for all question is first for romhacking
    PD: Google translate
    Some hacks available in Modexe are embedded in the base rom, but in a different way, that's why Modexe doesn't identify it in the rom. I recommend reading the entire base rom post to know which mods have been inserted into the rom, and which are present in Modexe.
    As for editing the effects of items directly via hex, I haven't shared this information as it's sensitive. It's something I don't recommend doing.
    Hi rom base creator I was wondering if you are able to expanded Pokémon number enough to add all fakeemon megas and gmax I would really appreciate if you can do this for me
    I can't do that because I would have to re-edit all the Pokémon stats, evolutions, adjust the information in the Pokédex, reconfigure all the items, etc. If you want something more complete, I recommend using DPE + CFRU, or Decomps.
    Some features from Mod.exe were added by default with the rom base, however there are additional features that you can add as well.
    As far as I have tested, you are able to patch features after modifying trainers and routes. To be more clear, most of my mods I've added are after offset 0x800000 which have not interfered with the offsets that the patch modifies.
    EDIT:
    Unfortunately the new EV/IV menu has not worked for my additions to the rom base.
    Changing to a new mon in the party on the stat menu eventually freezes the game and inverts the screen.
    Could you record a video demonstrating this error?

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2023
    Make sure you do a backup before the operation in case something goes wrong. If all goes well, you will have the old backgrounds.
    Thank you very much.
    And how can I increase the number of battle backgrounds? It seems there are only 8 battle backgrounds in the rom..
    specifically I want to add the snow and lava battle background.. Is it possible?

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2022
    Could you record a video demonstrating this error?

I had deleted the version that had problems displaying the new black theme EV/IV menu.

I just tried replicating it and it works perfectly.
    I'm using the previous update from 11-10-2021, but I don't think it matters with Modexe.
    I probably did something wrong the first time, but the process I went through was this.
    1. Using the 30-10-2021 update files, run Modexe - Update v2.1 and patch gba
    2. Using Modexe Mod Graphics, patch with EV/IV display menu (List feature 13)

Thanks for checking in with me on this issue.

On another note,
    Here is a minor fix that could be done with the Trick House.
    Reference info for prize list: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trick_House

After completing Puzzle 5 (mechadolls), the Trick Master should give the prize, TM 12 Taunt, but instead gives New Item since TM indexes are different.

I haven't fixed this just yet, but it should be just changing the giveitem line in the appropriate script to the correct hex index by checking in with PGE.
    The script for Trick Master has the entire list of giveitems for each puzzle, just look for the previous giveitem line for Puzzle 4 prize (Smoke Ball) and the Puzzle 6 prize (Magnet) and you should be able to pinpoint which giveitem line to change for Puzzle 5 (TM 12 Taunt).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2022
    Hello! I'm using the extended Advanced Map tool provided in the first post, but when I try to edit the wild encounter tables the Pokemon names are all blank. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Pic

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    Hello! I'm using the extended Advanced Map tool provided in the first post, but when I try to edit the wild encounter tables the Pokemon names are all blank. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Pic

That's strange it worked first time I tried but maybe try using a different unzipping program

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2022
    I've tried both WinRAR and 7zip now with the same result, but thanks anyway. If it helps, Pokemon names show up just fine in G3T, and I can get new Pokemon to show up in game. It's just the names that are blank for whatever reason in A-map.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2022
    I'd like to modify the EXP ALL so that all pokemon get the full amount of experience regardless of whether they were in battle. Is there any easy way I could do this?

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    I've tried both WinRAR and 7zip now with the same result, but thanks anyway. If it helps, Pokemon names show up just fine in G3T, and I can get new Pokemon to show up in game. It's just the names that are blank for whatever reason in A-map.
    wish you luck trying to fix it

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    So I am at the point in my hack where I wanted to change the trainer sprites but unlz gba won't load the section with the trainer won't load but nameless sprite editor only works with fire red or ruby help

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2023
    I've found a typo relating to the decapitalization - in Mr. Stone's dialog after retrieving the Devon Goods, the M in Magma here is lowercase.
    LklQxsw.png

EDIT: Also, I just noticed another one. When backing out from learning a new move, the text "stop learning [movename]?" has a lowercase S in stop. It seems to be the case only during a battle, as when trying to teach a move via TM outside of battle, Stop is properly capitalized.

In Granite Cave, there is a hiker that gives you HM Flash, however instead of Flash, you will obtain Dive.
    One can fix this by replacing the giveitem line with the correct hex for Flash (0x1BF).

Also, in Mossdeep when you receive HM Dive from Steven, it is HM Rock Climb.
    After some tests, using PGE, you can find that there are two HM Flash. The 2nd one (not index 447) is actually HM Dive.

Thanks for pointing that out. For anyone else trying to fix that manually before the next update, it's at offset 0x22DA5E. I'm having trouble finding the script offset for receiving Dive from Steven though; I'm pretty inexperienced with Pokemon romhacking.

DOUBLE EDIT: Another move inconsistency, this person in the Pokemon Fan Club in Slateport is supposed to teach Swagger, but teaches Bounce instead.
    NDBTBk5.png
    fSmdC2y.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2023
    Does anyone know how to set Critical Hit flags with this Base? I've used PGE's Move Editor to edit every move to my liking, except changing some moves to have High Crit ratio. Didn't see the option to use Crits in PGE's editor with this base

Li Yun

Years
  • Thank you very much.
    And how can I increase the number of battle backgrounds? It seems there are only 8 battle backgrounds in the rom..
    specifically I want to add the snow and lava battle background.. Is it possible?

There are more than 20 battle backgrounds in the rom. As far as I know it is possible to expand the battle backgrounds only in rom so Fire Red USA. If you want to add a lava and snow battle background, you will have to replace two existing battle backgrounds with these two "new".
    I had deleted the version that had problems displaying the new black theme EV/IV menu.

I just tried replicating it and it works perfectly.
    I'm using the previous update from 11-10-2021, but I don't think it matters with Modexe.
    I probably did something wrong the first time, but the process I went through was this.
    1. Using the 30-10-2021 update files, run Modexe - Update v2.1 and patch gba
    2. Using Modexe Mod Graphics, patch with EV/IV display menu (List feature 13)

Thanks for checking in with me on this issue.

On another note,
    Here is a minor fix that could be done with the Trick House.
    Reference info for prize list: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trick_House

After completing Puzzle 5 (mechadolls), the Trick Master should give the prize, TM 12 Taunt, but instead gives New Item since TM indexes are different.

I haven't fixed this just yet, but it should be just changing the giveitem line in the appropriate script to the correct hex index by checking in with PGE.
    The script for Trick Master has the entire list of giveitems for each puzzle, just look for the previous giveitem line for Puzzle 4 prize (Smoke Ball) and the Puzzle 6 prize (Magnet) and you should be able to pinpoint which giveitem line to change for Puzzle 5 (TM 12 Taunt).

Thanks for letting me know about it. I will fix it and soon bring this fix applied in the next update.

Pic

This is strange because for me the name of the Pokémon usually appears on the A-Map. I even tested it on another computer and it still works. The problem would not be something on your Windows?
    I'd like to modify the EXP ALL so that all pokemon get the full amount of experience regardless of whether they were in battle. Is there any easy way I could do this?

It's possible, but doing so would require a lot of work. It wouldn't be worth spending so much time trying to change that.
    So I am at the point in my hack where I wanted to change the trainer sprites but unlz gba won't load the section with the trainer won't load but nameless sprite editor only works with fire red or ruby help

Use PGE version 3.8.1, it has support to import/export trainers sprites.
    Check the image below.
    Spoiler:

I've found a typo relating to the decapitalization - in Mr. Stone's dialog after retrieving the Devon Goods, the M in Magma here is lowercase.
    LklQxsw.png

EDIT: Also, I just noticed another one. When backing out from learning a new move, the text "stop learning [movename]?" has a lowercase S in stop. It seems to be the case only during a battle, as when trying to teach a move via TM outside of battle, Stop is properly capitalized.

Thanks for pointing that out. For anyone else trying to fix that manually before the next update, it's at offset 0x22DA5E. I'm having trouble finding the script offset for receiving Dive from Steven though; I'm pretty inexperienced with Pokemon romhacking.

DOUBLE EDIT: Another move inconsistency, this person in the Pokemon Fan Club in Slateport is supposed to teach Swagger, but teaches Bounce instead.
    NDBTBk5.png
    fSmdC2y.png

Thank you for reporting these errors. All will be fixed in the next update.
    I've been pretty busy lately, so it will take a while for the next update to be released.
    Does anyone know how to set Critical Hit flags with this Base? I've used PGE's Move Editor to edit every move to my liking, except changing some moves to have High Crit ratio. Didn't see the option to use Crits in PGE's editor with this base

I didn't quite understand. Could you explain better?
    So I was testing hoopa i was wondering how can I return hoppa back to its bound form

Shaymin and Hoopa, to return to their original form just put them on the PC and then move them to your party, so they will return to their original appearance.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2023
    Thank you for reporting these errors. All will be fixed in the next update.
    I've been pretty busy lately, so it will take a while for the next update to be released.

Wonderful. I've found a couple more incorrect trades, should I keep posting them here or do you have them all covered?

Li Yun

Years
  • Wonderful. I've found a couple more incorrect trades, should I keep posting them here or do you have them all covered?

I would be more than happy to receive new bug reports. The more bugs that are reported, the more stable the base rom will be.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2023
    I would be more than happy to receive new bug reports. The more bugs that are reported, the more stable the base rom will be.

Great, I'll keep them contained to this post as to not flood the thread.

The Rollout tutor in Mauville teaches After You
    8JaWAFL.png
    ltXZrtI.png

The Fury Cutter tutor in Verdanturf teaches Endeavor
    gGpSlpx.png
    sDV6nXW.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

When in the Bag, the dots showing the different pages under the page name don't appear until you go to them once, and they don't persist the next time you open the bag.
    h87fup3.gif

I'm not sure if this is within the scope of this project, but on an accuracy-focused emulator like mGBA or through a DS hypervisor such as GBARunner2, the Summary menu is considerably broken & some encounters cause crashes randomly. I don't have a real GBA with a flashcart to test, but trying to inject into a 3DS .cia doesn't let the game boot at all. I've only been able to play normally on VBA-M (and strangely, the 3DS port of mGBA).
    wwIUVAr.gif

Something that took me an embarrassingly long time to notice is that the stat information on a TM within the bag is in Portuguese. I had already been using TMs and looking right at the stats for a while before I finally noticed it, lol
    twNdVY7.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The word Time is incorrectly lowercased among the other interview/cool words list which aren't.

Pokemon_-_Emerald_Version_RomBase2.1EditBWPartyCries-1.png

A couple of requests I have personally:
    • I really like the superfast text you can enable as a tweak in the Universal Pokemon Randomizer ZX, but I was unable to create a standalone patch of it that works with the rom base. Would like to have it here or something similar to that effect
    • Similarly, the Complete FireRed Upgrade has an Auto-run option which makes it so you don't have to hold B to run all the time, would like to know if there's a way to implement it here

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2023
    When I load PGE with the Base and use the Move Editor, all the moves that would have Critical Hits (Slash etc) show that they have "No Addtional Effect", and nothing indicating that they are crit moves. When loading my file with G3T Move Editor though, I see the Critical Hit option for move effects (43 or something. — is this just because they read the offsets differently?

Back