• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
  • I drafted this layout yesterday, based partly on Lilycove Museum:

Spoiler:

It's dedicated to "Art and History", so yes, the glass cases could hold things like an old Apricorn Ball. The second floor has a couple paintings, the Big Pearl from the manga, Lilycove's tablet (not sure what to do with it, but it looks cool), and four exhibits for the solved Unown puzzles. The rock on the first floor could be a bit of local color, like "the very first rock unearthed to make way for the Magnet Train".

This looks promising. Keep up the great work.

Spoiler:

Yeah, I assumed "Principal" was his official title. Calling him "Dean" was an excuse for a gratuitous Community reference anyway, so I may just leave it as-is.

Ah, nevermind then.

Also, one more thing that I think could be included would be the Shaymin Stone in Kanto (mentioned in DPPt). Even if you can't put any more Pokemon in the game, I think it's worth including.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Also, one more thing that I think could be included would be the Shaymin Stone in Kanto (mentioned in DPPt). Even if you can't put any more Pokemon in the game, I think it's worth including.

Where is this? I can't find it in the Platinum text dump. Anyway, I'll probably put that off until Shaymin is actually in the game (4.0 maybe).

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Last edited:
    Years
  • Man, I am just loving everything about this hack. I've been taking my time exploring every little thing so far. Pikachu is definitely one of my favorite pokemon but is this like a changed form or will Light Ball work by raising the SP Attack of this Pikachu too if I give it as a held item?

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Man, I am just loving everything about this hack. I've been taking my time exploring every little thing so far. Pikachu is definitely one of my favorite pokemon but is this like a changed form or will Light Ball work by raising the SP Attack of this Pikachu too if I give it as a held item?

Spoiler:

Yes, that's the same species with different forms.

Are the tracks from Pokémon Prism used anywhere in the game or are they only in the Music Player?

Just the Music Player.

Are you going to add Pokémon Tower?

The Lavender Radio Tower will be explorable.

I'm pretty sure I linked it properly so it starts right where Oak begins talking to you.

https://youtu.be/WTSjweP6DB8?t=153

Unfortunately, for some reason, they decided to not do anything with this tidbit of info for HG/SS.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    What is the reasoning behind changing Brass Tower to Gong Tower? So that it corresponds to Bell Tower better? In that case, why not keep Tin Tower?

Last edited:
    Years
  • OML what are the chances of a legendary dog being your first encounter after catching Suicune at the Bell Tower? <3 This was in the field outside Mt.Mortar next to Mahogany Town.

Spoiler:

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    What is the reasoning behind changing Brass Tower to Gong Tower? So that it corresponds to Bell Tower better? In that case, why not keep Tin Tower?

In Japanese, スズのとう suzu no tō could translate to 錫 "tin" or 鈴 "bell". GSC used the former translation, but HGSS corrected it. (This interview with translator Nob Ogasawara (via) mentions other Gen 1+2 translation issues.)

The Burned Tower's original name was only mentioned in Crystal, so HGSS did not update it. かねのとう kane no tō could translate to "brass" (lit. "copper", "metal", "gold") or "gong". Given that shōrō, Buddhist bell towers, are a real thing, whereas tin or brass towers make no sense, I've corrected this translation. (3.0 will also have a couple other translation updates, inspired by that interview.)

Last edited:

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
  • Pokémon Polished Crystal is amazing! You're doing things I've never thought possible. Are you planning on adding Brendan or May from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald as a cameo, since they moved to Hoenn from Johto? Keep up the good work!

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • Pokémon Polished Crystal is amazing! You're doing things I've never thought possible. Are you planning on adding Brendan or May from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald as a cameo, since they moved to Hoenn from Johto? Keep up the good work!

It is a good idea, but chronologically speaking it is not possible, because the story of Brendan and May in Pokemon Ruby/Saphire occurs simultaneously to the beginning of Red's adventure during 1 Gen, so it happened three years before the events of Crystal version

Years
  • Just finished the game!! Thank you so much, I enjoyed playing through the Johto and Kanto regions with added difficulty, pokemons, moves, typings, trainers!! I could go on lol :). Only bug I encountered so far was in the PC Box when I tried to get the Surfing Pikachu. Since I had caught the other 2 types of Pikachu during the same time, the Pikachu's in the same box all had the same sprite while I was browsing. Just a minor/graphical bug as when I previewed the stats the correct sprite showed up.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just finished the game!! Thank you so much, I enjoyed playing through the Johto and Kanto regions with added difficulty, pokemons, moves, typings, trainers!! I could go on lol :). Only bug I encountered so far was in the PC Box when I tried to get the Surfing Pikachu. Since I had caught the other 2 types of Pikachu during the same time, the Pikachu's in the same box all had the same sprite while I was browsing. Just a minor/graphical bug as when I previewed the stats the correct sprite showed up.

That's awesome but I can't seem to beat the E4 the first time. :( I can't find anywhere to grind my beauties to at least level 50 so I will stand something of a chance.

Years
  • Have you tried grinding on the route towards the e4? I remember seeing Rapidash in the morning and Noctowl at night, and outside the Cianwood Gym there is like a safari zone in a cave, if you get to the patch of grass in that area there are Tauros and Miltank which are worth a good amount of EXP. I beat the e4 at around lvl 55 the first time. I used Typhlosion, Surfing Pikachu, Scizor, Donphan, Ursaring, and Azumarill. The Play Rough on both Ursaring and Azumarill were life savers in the end.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    It is a good idea, but chronologically speaking it is not possible, because the story of Brendan and May in Pokemon Ruby/Saphire occurs simultaneously to the beginning of Red's adventure during 1 Gen, so it happened three years before the events of Crystal version
    They could always come back to Johto, but it would be pointless for 3.0 since they wouldn't have any Hoenn Pokemon. I am not sure what they could do other than battling.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Have you tried grinding on the route towards the e4? I remember seeing Rapidash in the morning and Noctowl at night, and outside the Cianwood Gym there is like a safari zone in a cave, if you get to the patch of grass in that area there are Tauros and Miltank which are worth a good amount of EXP. I beat the e4 at around lvl 55 the first time. I used Typhlosion, Surfing Pikachu, Scizor, Donphan, Ursaring, and Azumarill. The Play Rough on both Ursaring and Azumarill were life savers in the end.

Thanks for the help! I may have to do more grinding before I challenge Lance again.

Years
  • Hi there again! I just want to ask about the ROM compatibility with real hardware via flashcard with either RTC support or without it, as I remember that some graphical updates generate problems in emulators like bgb so, is the issue addressed?

Thanks a lot!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hi there again! I just want to ask about the ROM compatibility with real hardware via flashcard with either RTC support or without it, as I remember that some graphical updates generate problems in emulators like bgb so, is the issue addressed?

Thanks a lot!

I've seen people playing it on a 3DS, and presumably GBC flash cartridges work too. If you don't have RTC support there's the no-RTC build with an in-game clock.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2017
    I just downloaded this last night and I am already loving it! Crystal was my favourite Pokemon game growing up, and playing through it again with all the new features is going to be so much fun!

I also discovered something while trading with vanilla Crystal - if the Pokemon on vanilla is holding a Great Ball, the item turns into a Master Ball on this new version! (Trade back and forth for an hour for extra Master Balls, am I right?) I then read on the thread that some of the items have been moved around so this oddity now makes complete sense! Other than held items sometimes not matching up, provided you visit the Name Rater and rename the Pokemon so their names aren't all in caps I haven't found any problems trading with vanilla GSC (yet! I'm not very far into the game so I still need to experiment with this.)

Anyways, great job Rangi for making this!! It's gonna be awesome to go back to this game again!

Back