• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Japanese or English Black/White?

What version of B/W are you getting?

• Total voters

Electrovenom

Often lost in thought
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 23, 2010
Dudes I have been thinking,
Japanse or english doesn't matter it is only the names.

I am gonna play it for sure!

Have you seen legendaries!

They are awesome!

I can't read Japanese, though I am learning. That's why I'm getting English. I wouldn't want to buy something if I can't understand it.

But yes! The legendary pokemon are awesome, especially Zekrom :)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
My Japanese is horrible, and, even though I understand yes, no, and can sort of guess the plot, it'd be ridiculous for me to try and play it. It wouldn't be fun, so I'll wait the extra few months for the English release.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I'll just wait untill next year and buy the english version :\

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
Years
Illegal,... nah! I wouldent dob :) I do it too.... woops :P
haha yeh same here. but i buy the games i rly want like pokemon.
i'll be importing black and white from japan like what i have always been doing. english pokemon games dont feel pokemony (haha new word) enough to me.... mayb its just the boxes. XD

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
Years
I will download the White version to my Acekard and buy the English Version when it comes out (Black)

Hybrid Theory

Who needs friends? hehe..HAHA
Years
I'll just wait for the English one. It would ruin it for me if I got the Japanese one first then the English one because I'd know what to do. Dx

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Well if I was studying Japanese then yeah...but I'm not D: I still might import them because the Japanese logos are awesome IMO..lol really that's the only reason I'd import the games..just for the cool looking Japanese logo (they always get the better one D:).

I don't speak any Japanese whatsoever, so considering that Pokémon is very much a text-based game...I'll be waiting for the English release. :]

Well it wouldn't hurt to learn? I deem playing pokemon as one of the greatest ways to study Japanese...In fact I might just buy black and white in English (both copies), Japanese white version, and maybe a Korean & French black version :laugh:. It would be the perfect way to improve my French and Korean. Besides, Korean version pokemon games have the 2nd best logos:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ru-Kun

bleh...
Years
I'm learning Japanese right now but I'm not that far with my studies, so I think I'll wait until it comes out in the U.S.

Years
From what I understood, companies have the choice of whether or not to include region-locking features in their games. I can't think of a single game other than DSi-Ware that are region-exclusive. I have a Japanese DSi, but most of my games are English. I haven't run into a problem.

Anyway, I AM studying Japanese, but Pokemon games are tougher than some when it comes to Japanese. I got so lost in Pokemon yellow when someone tried to give me directions on what to do next... and I had PLAYED it before!

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
Years
exactly i played the japanese soul silver (on my r4i)and when i got my english ss i got lost in it also i didnt know what to do lots of times

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm waiting. I can't fully read Japanese yet, and right now can't find the time to study it enough to play through a full game like Pokemon. Besides, there could be some new feature that's explained in-game, and I'd still have no clue as to what I'm doing with it.

Also, since I'm getting both versions, I'd much rather get two games that I know I'll be able to understand fully (and thus, in a shallow manner, enjoy more) at a later date than to get one version early and not play it even though I have it.

AvianAzure

The Azurean Knight
Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2010
Get Black in Japanese and then when it comes out in america get white... and maybe black. lol

ThePinkDragon

Rawrtastic!
Years
English. I took Japanese for 3 years and it still makes my head spin every time I try to remember all that I learned. :D

Eeohnex

Illuminate
Years
I'm going to wait for the English one. Don't know which version yet. I guess I wouldn't enjoy the game as much as I would if I were to get the Japanese version. I don't have a single clue about Japanese, and I can't afford buying two versions of the game.

Back