• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Revolution/N5

Flaming Torchic

HalOWNED!
Years
Yeah, I read this on Nintendojo.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, then it makes me wonder what Nintendo is up to. The D-pad and A and B buttons are essential in playing most games (well, maybe no so much the D-pad), so I'm curious about what they are planning. Perhaps you'll just use a mic for the next console, and say what you want your characters to do, or maybe it'll be like virtual reality games.

Still though, I'm having trouble believing that is true, so I'll take with a grain of salt for now.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
Originally Posted by IGNCube
December 23, 2004 - Earlier this week, the respected Japanese business magazine Shuukan Diamond reported in its 2005 Preview Edition that the Nintendo Revolution Controller will not feature a directional pad or A and B buttons.

If the news turns out to be true, Revolution would be the first Nintendo console to not feature a D-Pad and the A/B button combo. Nintendo has long said that it seeks to innovate with new control mechanisms, as evidenced by the inclusion of a touch screen on the Nintendo DS.
Given the focus of setting the A and B buttons on the GameCube controller apart from the now industry standard four-button layout, it will be interesting to see what new setup Nintendo is planning to bring to the table.

According to Shuukan Diamond, the wait will not be long. The magazine reports that Nintendo will debut GameCube's successor at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, May 2005.

None of the magazine's claims were substantiated by Nintendo, but given the publication's track record of accurate business reporting since 1913, we'd be surprised if Diamond's claims turned out to be false.

More soon.

This news worries me.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
Yes, but it also means that the controller's focus could shift to other areas. It's widely-known that the N Revolution won't be your standard next-gen console, which paves the way for all sorts of weird and non-wonderful gimmicks such as infra red motion sensoring. You could be playing the next Zelda game by waving a makeshift sword around in the air like a spanner.

Nintendo want to "go back to basics", since they feel controller configurations have become too complex and are alienating new users. Quite how they figure that one out I'll never know.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Yes, Nintendo fears games like Kirby Air Ride (which uses only the A button) are so much more complex, thus not as popular as games like GTA (which uses every button on the controller)…

This –is- disturbing. Pulling this little stunt on the DS is one thing, but if they try to "innovate" too much they're going to find themselves done in. Controllers have worked this way and provided excellent control for years and years. They can't see that?

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
Years
the DS was a good innovation. I surprised you people don't see that. Afraid of change, I suppose. Such old schoolers. Zelda WW was looked at as a terrible game since it wasn the realistic graphics shown at E3. But look at how it turned out. Possibly teh best game ever on GC. You people need to have an open mind.

Carlito-san

Wooo! I'm from South Park!
Years
It has props in the top 10,though.And yes,I knew it!Thanks for posting the article,lucifer.
But Innovation is a good thing.I think it will have motion detectors.That tech is used already.They will probably enhance it to put in a video game.

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I -do- have an open mind, and I'm not saying the innovations are poor. I don't have the right, nor do you to say the DS's are good. There aren't enough games out yet to make that call.

They are however, risky, in the sense they're very new and much different. And what this article states is the next Nintendo Console is going to tamper with the very fabric of gaming that has done so much for us over the past twenty years. Again—risky, and IMO not the smartest move.

The graphic style in TWW wasn't an original venture. Others had done cel-shading before. "Old-school" is part o Nintendo's appeal, I wouldn't think you'd condemn it.

Carlito-san

Years
Kairi said:
I -do- have an open mind, and I?m not saying the innovations are poor. I don?t have the right, nor do you to say the DS?s are good. There aren?t enough games out yet to make that call.

They are however, risky, in the sense they?re very new and much different. And what this article states is the next Nintendo Console is going to tamper with the very fabric of gaming that has done so much for us over the past twenty years. Again?risky, and IMO not the smartest move.

The graphic style in TWW wasn?t an original venture. Others had done cel-shading before. ?Old-school? is part o Nintendo?s appeal, I wouldn?t think you?d condemn it.
That directed to me?

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Directed at Pogiforce. Sorry for the confusion.

Carlito-san

Years
Ok.But Pogi has a point.Innovation is good.The DS is making money because of....Innovation!!!

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
It's making money for the same reason the PSP will.
Not because of innovation.
Not because of graphics
Because of games, and dedicated fans. That's why.

Lucifer.

Custom'D
Years
Shinin said:
Only losers thought that WW would be horrible. And it's not the best game on the GCN. It was too short.

Game length has nothing to do with quality, and TWW wasn't that short anyway.

Nintendo claim that the usual console updates such as improved graphics and power no longer encapture the gaming public. Obviously their market research team is doing far from a bang-up job at the minute...

Carlito-san

Years
Look at it this way.

DS-No microphone,no touch screen,1 screen.No wirelessPlays N64 graphics.

Would anyone in they're right mind want that?That is **** compared to the PSP.But,the real DS,is what is innovative,and that is why any one wants it.A 8 year old that want it probably doesnt evej know how to spell Nintendo,yet they want it.Why?Features.

Back