• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GM rulz! Player droolz?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Do you prefer to be a GM or a player?

Maybe you always combine the two? Is it really a good idea to be a player in your own RP?

discuss!!

Years
I love to do both.

Being a GM and creating various worlds for people to shape and explore with their stories is something really fun to do, but I always find myself wanting to be a part of the worlds I build. Similarly, as much as I love world building and seine my own creations develop, I like to experience other peoples' concepts also.

Some people might think that GMing an RP you are in might cause you to be biased towards your own character, but this sort of thing really isn't that hard to avoid.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I love to do both.

Being a GM and creating various worlds for people to shape and explore with their stories is something really fun to do, but I always find myself wanting to be a part of the worlds I build. Similarly, as much as I love world building and seine my own creations develop, I like to experience other peoples' concepts also.

Some people might think that GMing an RP you are in might cause you to be biased towards your own character, but this sort of thing really isn't that hard to avoid.
I couldn't have put it better myself. Agree completely :3

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
I like to do both, it lets me have fun with it and also keep things in order and control the world.
Of course I have no experience as a GM... but I can imagine.

Some people can't really not be biased towards their own character though. One time, I was in this Pokemon RP, and my rival was the GM. He controlled my character in his favor much more often than not. I kinda dropped out of that one, but still. Not everyone could do it, they're better suited for one or the other. Otherwise, though, being both is a good experience.

This literally happened once in said RP:
I'm winning a battle against him
GM makes his starter OP and controls my starter
Suddenly it ends in a tie

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I sometimes rather feel like I need to step back and be unfair towards my char in order to be a good GM. Which makes it a bit hard to play sometimes. But maybe you can give yourself unnoticeable treats once in a while if you most often let the other players have advantages officially :3 as long as everybody remains happy with the game.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I like both.

As a GM you can create and shape this sandbox for other people to build castles with, and it's a lot of fun seeing these stories take place in this world you created.

As a player, you get to be on the other side. I get my hands dirty in these worlds I could never come up with, and I really like that too. It also gives a bit more freedom in a way, because you don't need to control the world as much, and can just rumble around in your castle until someone elses decides they want to play there too.

A perk of being a GM is that you do not need to do everything in a joint post with Gimmepie, which let's you move and control a bit more, but a perk of being a player that likes to create a narrative is that half your posts are joint posts with gimmepie. In my experience at least.

Back