• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Crystal Prodigy (v1.1.1) + Version 2 coming in early 2024!

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    Hello all! This is the full, completed version of my ROM hack, Pokemon Crystal Prodigy. The game is designed to be more difficult than the original but not overly so, and instead focuses more on storyline additions.

***NEW***: Version 2 will be released in early 2024!

v1.1.1 patch available at the download link below.

Now with a preview video! Link:

Main Features:

- A new trainer class: the Prodigies (Male and Female). Distinguished by their blue outfits, they have smarter AI and stronger and more diverse teams than the other trainers of the areas they are in. In Johto you'll find them training in Routes in the grass, having already beaten the Gyms they are nearest to. In Kanto you'll find them in the Gyms. When you beat them, they give you items.
    - Virtually every trainer in the game has a higher-leveled team. This is most noticeable in the Gyms, the Elite Four, and in Kanto.
    - All 251 Pokemon are available. You can look at the readme to see how to get them, or discover them on your own! The Celebi event has been restored; go to the Goldenrod PokeCenter after entering the Hall of Fame.
    - Expansive post-game in Kanto, including dozens of new trainers, a major side quest, and a re-match of the Elite Four. Most new trainers are optional, as they will only challenge you if you step right in front of them or talk to them.
    - After defeating the Elite Four Round 2, any knocked-out Legendaries reappear in their original locations (Suicune in the Burned Tower; see the "Locations" readme if you need info on Entei and Raikou).
    - Tons of new items added, including the Lucky Egg and Scope Lens (again, see readme if you want their locations).

Version 1.1 Updates:
    - A new battle area for grinding, the Fuchsia Training Center. This is like the Battle Tower, but the Pokemon keep the EXP points and you get the money. You can battle almost 50 trainers each day!
    - Lucky Egg and TwistedSpoon have been made available in the maingame (see readme if you want their locations)
    - Moveset Changes: the Bulbasaur line gets Giga Drain; the Charmander line gets Fire Blast instead of Fire Spin; the Squirtle line gets Bubblebeam instead of Rapid Spin
    - The quiz to get the Radio Card has been removed
    - Bug fixes

Other, but still significant, features and changes:

- Running shoes -- hold B to run
    - Shiny odds increased to 1 in 1,024; Shinies also typically have exceptional DVs (meaning a shiny Rattata is literally a top-percentage Rattata)
    - An Exp. Share is obtainable before Falkner, and an Amulet Coin is obtainable before Bugsy
    - TMs are reusable
    - Berry names modernized; two Lum Berry and two Sitrus Berry trees added
    - More room in the bag for items, including a new pocket for Berries and Apricorns
    - Move Signal Beam added and is TM43; see readme for Pokemon that can learn it
    - False Swipe is TM40, is available at the Goldenrod and Celadon Marts, and learnable by the Johto starters
    - Opponent's 25% chance to miss status moves has been removed
    - Move Tutor in Goldenrod is available every day after defeating Team Rocket in the Radio Tower (once a day) and teaches moves for 1500 coins
    - Game Corner prize prices reduced
    - Card-flipping game takes 10 coins to play (and payouts are adjusted accordingly), making earning coins faster
    - Rare Candies available at the Celadon Game Corner for 750 coins each
    - BRN/PSN/PRZ increases catch rate
    - Kurt's Balls work as intended
    - Move Deleter added in Lavender Town
    - Automatically reuse Repels
    - Easter Eggs and other fun things to discover!

Kanto Side Quest Description:
    Spoiler:

Known Bugs:
    Spoiler:

Screenshots:
    Spoiler:

Changelog:
    Spoiler:

Credits:
    Spoiler:

You can download the patch and readme here.
    You can also visit the game's Discord server if you have any specific questions and to discuss.

Have fun!
    -Jordan

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • I'm definitely leaning towards Demo 1 as it doesn't seem like your conventional sideshowcase Pokémon crystal hack. Although I don't think you've mentioned the length of the demo, is it complete?

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    Demo 1 starts in Vermilion and you can play the Vermilion, Saffron and Celadon Gyms. Routes 5-12 are accessible, plus Rock Tunnel. All areas except Routes 5 and 7 have new trainers. Cerulean and the south of Route 12 are blocked off, as is Cycling Road since you don't have a bike.

You can play Demo 2 as well! It is playable from the start until Route 42, which is fenced off.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    Totodile has the best move pool.

The "starter" Feraligatr is very high-leveled so I put the Ice Punch and Earthquake TMs in New Bark for it to learn. The trainers in Kanto start with Pokemon the high 50's.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    Version 1.0 Released!! Have fun!!

P.S. If you have a save file on the demo version I recommend you start a new game. There are lots of changes!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    I just discovered the Discord Server link didn't work. It does now, so feel free to join!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2020
    Thanks Jordanar18, thanks for your great work. Your work is a gift to all Pokémon lover :). Thank you.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    is there no phys spec split? Thats unfortunate since thats kind of necessary for a lot of pokemon

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    I did not put the split in. It's a Gen 2 game and I didn't want to deviate from the original too much.

If and when I make an update I will consider putting in the split. Thanks for the feedback!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I wanted to be sure on that seeing as Ice Punch works best on Feraligatr as a physical attack, same with Bite/Crunch (crunch was an egg move for tototile originally so dont worry about changing the level up list if you dont want to do that).

Only other possible complaint I see is that given what you said its unlikely Venusaur has Sludge Bomb in its compatable TM list, which is a massive shame given its been a staple since gen 3. But we'll see how things work out since as you said the phys/spec split is a maybe for the time being so I'll wait and see what else changes.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I did not put the split in. It's a Gen 2 game and I didn't want to deviate from the original too much.

If and when I make an update I will consider putting in the split. Thanks for the feedback!

This sounds very cool. Usually I don't like to play gen 1/2/3 hacks, because the PSS thing don't feel "right". Man, I'm gonna try it

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    Hey guys... I have updated the game with a bug fix.

I'm probably going to do a minor update within the next few months and planning to add rematchable trainers for grinding and a move reminder. Any suggestions as to what you'd like to see? I'm going to save the physical/special split and new movesets for a possible future major update.

Last edited:

Dekaylab8

I have Harm OCD...
    Years
  • Hey guys... I have updated the game with a bug fix.

I'm probably going to do a minor update within the next few months and planning to add rematchable trainers for grinding and a move reminder. Any suggestions as to what you'd like to see? I'm going to save the physical/special split and new movesets for a possible future major update.

I've got 3 suggestions:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2023
    Ugh, thanks for pointing out the Odd Egg problem. Will get on it when I have the chance!

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2020
    update ruined the patch file btw. i can't seem to patch my crystal game. can anyone confirm for me?

Back