• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    Hi, I'm playing this rom somewhat blind (looking up only specific things I want, like Alolan Raichu), and I just beat Erika's gym. I'm here to say that it has a problem. Which is: How can a Rillaboom and a Meganium outspeed a Dodrio with Max Speed IV, fully EV trained, Speed Boosting Nature AND Agility up? That does not make any sense. I know it's not a choice item because if I try to start with Reuniclus to setup Light Screen/Reflect, Rillaboom uses swords dance, so it's not that. Quick Claw has only a chance to work, so in 5 different tries, it should have failed at least once. If it's a buff on its speed, a 25/30 base speed buff is too much, and the boss becomes unfair instead of hard. The rest of the team was fair to an extent. To beat the Rillaboom I literally had to use the heal with Grassy Terrain after a roost so I could setup swords dance and agility twice each so I could FINALLY outspeed stuff, all that after having to get 350k to up my Dodrio's Defense IV so I could take 2 hits. Try anything else and either Serperior or Rillaboom will setup enough to sweep you. Help me if I'm thinking of things in the wrong way, but I don't think this should happen.

TL;DR: Rillaboom and Meganium in Cerulean outspeeding max speed dodrio should not happen.

Years
  • Hi, I'm playing this rom somewhat blind (looking up only specific things I want, like Alolan Raichu), and I just beat Erika's gym. I'm here to say that it has a problem. Which is: How can a Rillaboom and a Meganium outspeed a Dodrio with Max Speed IV, fully EV trained, Speed Boosting Nature AND Agility up? That does not make any sense. I know it's not a choice item because if I try to start with Reuniclus to setup Light Screen/Reflect, Rillaboom uses swords dance, so it's not that. Quick Claw has only a chance to work, so in 5 different tries, it should have failed at least once. If it's a buff on its speed, a 25/30 base speed buff is too much, and the boss becomes unfair instead of hard. The rest of the team was fair to an extent. To beat the Rillaboom I literally had to use the heal with Grassy Terrain after a roost so I could setup swords dance and agility twice each so I could FINALLY outspeed stuff, all that after having to get 350k to up my Dodrio's Defense IV so I could take 2 hits. Try anything else and either Serperior or Rillaboom will setup enough to sweep you. Help me if I'm thinking of things in the wrong way, but I don't think this should happen.

TL;DR: Rillaboom and Meganium in Cerulean outspeeding max speed dodrio should not happen.

Grassy Glide is a priority move in Grassy Terrain. Triage is Meganium's Hidden Ability, giving priority to Draining Kiss and Giga Drain.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    Ok so as the leading pokemon has a move tutor move. Fine. So 125 base ATK with a 70 base move, with priority and a 1.5x boost due to terrain, in a pokemon that knows swords dance *being leading pokemon*. I don't know if you see the problem here. The leading pokemon should be the baseline of what you'll probably fight. The rest of the pokemon definitely do not keep up with this. Serperior is the only poke that can even compare to it, and 120 base speed with some training is all you need to deal with it. The rest of Erika's Pokemon are a joke compared to this. I trained my team to essentially deal with Rillaboom, and the rest melted. I don't think this is a good idea. I would say Cradilee would probably fit the bill better here, considering it immediately answers flying pokemon, which is the biggest weakness of her team (Fire isn't all that great because mega-venusaur can answer that), otherwise the gym is just a 1 trick pony. the moment you deal with Rillaboom, you win easy. either that, or if you want to keep the starter vibe, probably torterra with some rock moves

Years
  • Ok so as the leading pokemon has a move tutor move. Fine. So 125 base ATK with a 70 base move, with priority and a 1.5x boost due to terrain, in a pokemon that knows swords dance *being leading pokemon*. I don't know if you see the problem here. The leading pokemon should be the baseline of what you'll probably fight. The rest of the pokemon definitely do not keep up with this. Serperior is the only poke that can even compare to it, and 120 base speed with some training is all you need to deal with it. The rest of Erika's Pokemon are a joke compared to this. I trained my team to essentially deal with Rillaboom, and the rest melted. I don't think this is a good idea. I would say Cradilee would probably fit the bill better here, considering it immediately answers flying pokemon, which is the biggest weakness of her team (Fire isn't all that great because mega-venusaur can answer that), otherwise the gym is just a 1 trick pony. the moment you deal with Rillaboom, you win easy. either that, or if you want to keep the starter vibe, probably torterra with some rock moves

It kicked your ass. So, it's staying.

The rest of the Pokemon are actually powerful in their own right; they may have done nothing against your team composition but that's not true for every other player. You managed to deal with Rillaboom and beat the rest of the team, so congrats. There is obvious counterplay there.

Also, Grassy Terrain gives a 1.3x boost, not 1.5x.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    It took only my Dodrio. Fly/Swords Dance/Agility/Roost. I tried a bunch of different strats, and none worked. I know that the other pokemon are strong on their own. Serperior is scary, Mega Venusaur basically invalidates 2 of its weakness, Meganium has a new Ability that could potentially make if viable but, all it took was 1 flying with enough preparation for Rillaboom. What I'm saying is that it looks unfair instead of dificult. I couldn't deal with the other 3 gyms with just 1 pokemon, yet, in this one, it was the only way I found to deal with it. And a 1.3 instead of 1.5 boost isn't enought to change my point. There isn't much of a team composition when you only use 1 pokemon

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    Just wanna say that this is a great game and I enjoy the difficulty though if there was one thing I would change, it's one battle when you're teamed up with Brendan and his bloody Exploud keeps using Boomburst. I had to kill it first because it kept damaging my team so I think maybe that's one thing to change in the future. Other than that I wouldn't change anything else.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2021
    Just wanna say that this is a great game and I enjoy the difficulty though if there was one thing I would change, it's one battle when you're teamed up with Brendan and his bloody Exploud keeps using Boomburst. I had to kill it first because it kept damaging my team so I think maybe that's one thing to change in the future. Other than that I wouldn't change anything else.

Funnily enough, Exploud was actually helpful for me in that fight. It used surf thrice to power up my storm drain gastrodon, helping me one shot opposing mons.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2021
    Very small issue, but I noticed the 'All Pokemon Changes' documentation has Ariados getting Gunk Shot at level 1 and Megahorn at 46, but in the game it only gets Gunk Shot at level 46 and Megahorn at 49

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Will you consider making the level cap go back to 250 once a post game is finished? If so, maybe make the Vs. Seeker a late game or post game item? I love to grind and the trainer battles set on randomizer mode are awesome lol

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2021
    Another small thing I noticed: Stunfisk-G gets the ability Filter in the game, but that change is not listed on the All Changes documentation. I would think that would at least be a ! change in your system, given its bulk and typing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Very small issue, but I noticed the 'All Pokemon Changes' documentation has Ariados getting Gunk Shot at level 1 and Megahorn at 46, but in the game it only gets Gunk Shot at level 46 and Megahorn at 49
    Fixed the documentation, thank you for the report

Will you consider making the level cap go back to 250 once a post game is finished? If so, maybe make the Vs. Seeker a late game or post game item? I love to grind and the trainer battles set on randomizer mode are awesome lol

It could be a consideration, I'll see if I can get it to work (Not exactly high priority right now for obvious reasons)

It took only my Dodrio. Fly/Swords Dance/Agility/Roost. I tried a bunch of different strats, and none worked. I know that the other pokemon are strong on their own. Serperior is scary, Mega Venusaur basically invalidates 2 of its weakness, Meganium has a new Ability that could potentially make if viable but, all it took was 1 flying with enough preparation for Rillaboom. What I'm saying is that it looks unfair instead of dificult. I couldn't deal with the other 3 gyms with just 1 pokemon, yet, in this one, it was the only way I found to deal with it. And a 1.3 instead of 1.5 boost isn't enought to change my point. There isn't much of a team composition when you only use 1 pokemon

did you maybe consider that a powerful pokemon in the lead spot just makes it that much easier to deal with? It isn't unfair. Here are some strats I can think of immediately off the top of my head rather than using this silly cheese strat you spent unreasonable time on Dodrio to finally beat her team:
    Talonflame, Zard, Eviolite Corvisquire, Eviolite Vullaby all render Rillaboom useless and can Defog the terrain away. Turtonator completely counters Rillaboom with its massive defense. Any Grass/Poison (Or bulky Poison type) can easily wall Rillaboom and take it out with ease. Hell, all I ever did to deal with Rillaboom was to lead with a Fire type to just straight OHKO it. Not to mention you can obtain Sash from Chuck before this fight as well.

Obviously if you're going for this set up on the first Pokemon the rest of her team is going to appear useless lol, your point is completely mute

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wow, this seems like an absolutely awesome hack. Can't wait to try it after seeing someone playing it on YouTube. Main thing I'm not so hot on is the whole IV and EV training component of this hack- I am not so much into the competitive scene (although I understand it) and I do like a challenge, but not to the point of being frustrating. Going to try it out and see if its for me.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    A very minor report, maybe this is already known, feel free to ignore if it is: in the Pokemon Center there's a girl next to Nurse Joy who allows to change the Nature of the mon. If you speak with her, then say "No" in response to the question "Would you like to change the nature...?", she'll still say "Nature has been changed, thank you". Most likely, if possible, it's better if she responds with something along the lines of "Alright then, please visit me if you need the nature of your pokemon changed" :) This happened in Viridian City, in case it matters.

Last edited:
    Years
  • A very minor report, maybe this is already known, feel free to ignore if it is: in the Pokemon Center there's a girl next to Nurse Joy who allows to change the Nature of the mon. If you speak with her, then say "No" in response to the question "Would you like to change the nature...?", she'll still say "Nature has been changed, thank you". Most likely, if possible, it's better if she responds with something along the lines of "Alright then, please visit me if you need the nature of your pokemon changed" :) This happened in Viridian City, in case it matters.

I've fixed it already for the next update, but thank you for reporting :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    How do i download the rom and does it work on mobile emulators

I just used a very easily google-able site that has pre patched versions and yes they work perfectly, I'm using PizzaBoy emulator on my phone and it runs perfectly well.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Those can be outdated so it's better to patch it yourself, it's very easy.

Again I can't link to the site but they are always mega prompt with updates, 2.1 was up there within minutes it was great. I play on Android emulator and having a blast :). I did verify it my self by building it but I found that once or twice it was spot on it's just so convenient for me at work at the moment...especially with so little volume we're having... #cheerscovid.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2021
    Would be nice if the move relearner in Cerulean didn't require mushrooms to reteach moves. Mostly everything was changed in this hack to reflect Gen 8 except for the move relearner. Who has the time to steal a crap ton of mushrooms from Parases? I wanna get into the battles!

I'm really enjoying this game and the refreshing changes to Gen 1 and the fact you decided to make the game. I just feel the change to the move relearner would make the game even better.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2023
    Hiya!

Just thought I'd drop a comment here, even if it's not a major thing in the grand scheme :)

I've loved your hack entirely, 100% after playing these past two months or so it's became my number one!

The only thing that really put a damper on this, is the community that is in the Discord. I understand where a lot of the clashes are coming from, sure, and I get it's largely an internet societal problem. But, that server, comes across as just a mish mash of arguments far too often. I gave it a go and stuck around for a bit, but eventually it's too off-putting.

At the end of the day, I think Radical Red is a fantastic game, I just wish folks could see it as something to enjoy rather than argue incessantly over :/

Anywho, thanks for all you do Soup! Will def be checking back here periodically to see what's new!

Back