• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] Always facing down once entering a door or a cave..

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2021
    I'm sure you might have observed sometimes when you enter a cave, you sometimes face down after you stepped on it. What kind of issue was this it's because as I enter a door, the character always face down upon entering..

Another thing is, after I warp, and go back from the map I was spawned with, it doesn't go back to that map. I set all the warpoints already and then the question is, going back doesn't work..

I read some threads regardless how warpoints in a cave would work, but however I don't understand what tiles to use for warping when you're in a cave.

I also tried to watch how the game hack: Pokemon Victory Fire in the caves works.

I don't get it at all what tiles to use in exiting a cave...

If anyone would give me an example or an image how to exit caves. It'll be much appreciated.

To be specific....

1.) Entering a part of cave works with door caves.
    2.) Exiting from that part of cave never works and character always face down and it doesn't show some arrows of going back.

Rom Base: PKMN Emerald

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    @James Emerald

There is a specific tile you should use in front of the exit with a specific behavior byte. The tile in front of the exit looks the same as the other tiles surrounding it, but it's actually a different tile. A warp tile only works correctly if it has one of the warp behavior bytes attached to it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I'm sure you might have observed sometimes when you enter a cave, you sometimes face down

Lots of maps that the player enters into in my Emerald hack have this phenomenon. To fix this, you need a map script. Make one with type 04, use the variable 40FA (or another unused variable), and the value 0000, and point to a script that says "spriteface 0xFF [direction]", where the direction could be 0x2, 0x3 or 0x4.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    @ShinyTillDawn

Alternatively, you could do that. It's much easier and cleaner to set up the warp right though.

It also doesn't fix the warp back.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Lots of maps that the player enters into in my Emerald hack have this phenomenon. To fix this, you need a map script. Make one with type 04, use the variable 40FA (or another unused variable), and the value 0000, and point to a script that says "spriteface 0xFF [direction]", where the direction could be 0x2, 0x3 or 0x4.

That is mostly used whenever you enter a map through a level script; that is, the previous map had a script and made you warp to the current map.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2021
    Alright... Got it.. I'll take my time in doing the map scripts, this should be a good use now in fixing maps er I mean, caves. Thanks a lot guys.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    @James Emerald

Really, just go for the solution without any map scripts to fix a simple warp. Like I said above:
    There is a specific tile you should use in front of the exit with a specific behavior byte. The tile in front of the exit looks the same as the other tiles surrounding it, but it's actually a different tile. A warp tile only works correctly if it has one of the warp behavior bytes attached to it.

Years
  • Alright... Got it.. I'll take my time in doing the map scripts, this should be a good use now in fixing maps er I mean, caves. Thanks a lot guys.

That really isn't recommended. In Em, the Behaviour Byte for the warp blocks is usually 65. To do this, open up the Block Editor in A-Map (CTRL+B), make an identical cave floor tile, and assign the Behaviour Byte 65, like so:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • @James Emerald

Really, just go for the solution without any map scripts to fix a simple warp. Like I said above:

The "@ system" on PokéCommunity doesn't work; not yet, at least. You can either Respond to the user so they get notified, or do this "@Kalarie[span="display: none"][quote=Kalarie;AnyPostNumber]ping[/quote][/span]". Thought I'd tell, haha.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    @Spacewalker

I know it doesn't work in the same manner as Discord. I just use the @ the old-fashioned way to explicitly point out who I am responding to (I also dislike those notifications).

Thanks for the tip though, didn't know that;)

Back