• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: Pokémon Emerald - ROM Base (Free to Use)

Li Yun

"Does the truth exist or is it all a lie and the w
Years
  • Amazing work! But I can't seem to use PGE, specifically the Pokemon Editor. I can open the Item, Moves and Ability editor but not the Pokemon one. I followed all instructions, downloaded a clean emerald rom, used XSE to expand to 32mb, patched using RomPatcher, and then copied the rom with the same name as the ini in the same folder, but PGE still doesn't work. Am I missing a step? Or is it my clean rom not woking? Any help will be appreciated!
    zxecR1Y

In the attached file for download, you will find a test.ini. Apply the patch to an Emerald Clean rom and after the patch changes the rom name to test.gba. Then move the test.gba (patched rom applied) into the same folder where the test .ini. Once that's done, try again to open the rom on PGE. You must have .ini and patched rom applied, to be in the same folder for PGE to be able to read the data correctly.

I was wondering if I can use an online hex editor?
    Yes. I didn't mention Hex editors online for not knowing/using any.

I tried to patch this with my emerald rom, but it was mismatched. How do I fix this?

Before applying the patch to the rom, make sure that a vanilla rom, that is, a clean rom of Emerald USA. Next you will have to expand the rom to 32MB via XSE, PGE or via Hex editors. If you do not do this and apply the patch on the rom, you will encounter several errors.

Could you explain me how do I change attack effects? I mean if I change the secondary eff on PGE when I choose deals non volátile status condition option, how do I choose if it will burn, or poisons or freeze ?
    Well, I was creating a document (.pdf) explaining how to handle it easily. But unfortunately my Hard Drive stopped working, which resulted in the loss of several and several of my data, and unfortunately I had not performed any backup previously. I'm going to have to redo the documentation on that, i'll let you know about any news about it.

Thank you for creating this for us to use! I'm just starting to learn how to hack pokemon games, but I've had a lot of fun just seeing what all is included in this base in PGE!

I have a friend circle that really enjoys playing randomizers, and this looks like it could be fun to randomize. What would be the best way to go about doing that with this base? If nothing else, can you point me to where I'd need to go to figure out how to do that?

Um, randomizing something on this base rom is a very challenging thing but it's not impossible. I'll be able to verify that and let everyone know when I get something concrete.
    Does the Level Cap from your modexe works on this base?
    No, unfortunately. I'll add this to my to-do list to research how to apply this to this base rom.
    Hello everyone here I have a question is there ash greninja here?
    Yes. It has the Ash-Greninja shape exchange system via Battle Bond and several other form exchange methods from other Pokémon available on this base rom.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    They don't do anything by themselves you do the work manually like mapping gyms trainers the league etc but always credit the maker

Li Yun

Years
  • How do these rom bases work?

It's basically a rom hack with updated mechanics, new Items, Pokémon, etc. All part of mechanics is updated, in the case of this base rom was all updated until the 7th generation. With this base rom, you can use it to create your rom hack.
    No new story is entered, it's the same story as the traditional Emerald. Everything remains the mesm, except for the updated mechanics, new items, Pokémon, etc.
    It is worth remembering that nothing on the map has changed, so you would have to edit the items that the NPC's deliver, edit the wild Pokémon, trainers, etc.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    Hello! It looks like the PGE link has expired and going to the PGE GitHub also breaks the pokemon editor. I've done everything else correct, I'm just missing the version of PGE with "Pokemon Emerald Liberate - Base v1.0.ini" because of the broken link. I have gotten everything else to work, nice hack! Having that link updated would be awesome.

Li Yun

Years
  • Hello! It looks like the PGE link has expired and going to the PGE GitHub also breaks the pokemon editor. I've done everything else correct, I'm just missing the version of PGE with "Pokemon Emerald Liberate - Base v1.0.ini" because of the broken link. I have gotten everything else to work, nice hack! Having that link updated would be awesome.

I recommend using pge version 3.7, because in version v3.8.1 is crashing the program by clicking the Pokémon Editor.
    Link below:
    PGE Releases

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen today
    I wanna make 2 changes to the base using your modexe(remove the dns system and add exp.all) however both of them are yellow on the modexe and I'm worried they're gonna cause problems.Do you know if they might break something?
    EDIT:ok I noticed that the exp all is already in but what about removing dns?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    Owner of the base I added a scorbunny to my game but its moves are all messed up and are water type

Li Yun

Years
  • I wanna make 2 changes to the base using your modexe(remove the dns system and add exp.all) however both of them are yellow on the modexe and I'm worried they're gonna cause problems.Do you know if they might break something?

Soon I'll send you a patch to remove dns from the rom.
    Owner of the base I added a scorbunny to my game but its moves are all messed up and are water type

Could you send me an image of the "error"?

Li Yun

Years
  • I wanna make 2 changes to the base using your modexe(remove the dns system and add exp.all) however both of them are yellow on the modexe and I'm worried they're gonna cause problems.Do you know if they might break something?

I think a patch will be unnecessary to remove DNS. Open the base rom in the Program Day, Night and Seasons, then just load the base rom in the program and click "Erase RTC". This will remove the DNS system from the base rom.
    I did some searching I fixed my issue It was because g3t move editor

You can edit the base rom quietly by G3T without risk of bug's. The only thing you should NOT edit on the base rom by G3T is the learnset's. G3T does not support expanded learnset's, so G3T shows incorrect information. To edit the Pokémon learnset, I recommend that you use PGE only. As for PGE, I recommend that you use version 3.7, because in version 3.8.1 PGE crashes when trying to open the Pokémon Editor function.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen today
    I think a patch will be unnecessary to remove DNS. Open the base rom in the Program Day, Night and Seasons, then just load the base rom in the program and click "Erase RTC". This will remove the DNS system from the base rom.
    Perfect then.thanks.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen today
    Ok I tried that and the DNS is still there.
    EDIT:Ok turns out the dns is removed but removing it this way makes it stuck in night mode.
    EDIT2:I don't mind keeping the seasons part of the dns so If you know how to tell me to make it basically day all the time(using the program you told me, I'd like it)
    EDIT3:Ok I found out how to do it so don't mind me xD

Last edited:
    Back