• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.3 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)

Years
    • Seen today
    Going by this logic "in the original" then why even change any evolution methods in the first place. Using that as an excuse for 1 particular pokemon when others get a pass just breaks logic.

It's your own rom hack anyways, you can do with it what you please.

Maybe add a secondary evolution method for it cause berry mixing for an evolution is just a massive time-sink for no good reason, especially in a rom hack that adds so many other QoL features.

Hey! I'm always open to suggestions and everything. However, yes, my logic is that Milotic and Feebas are both hard to come by Pokémon, making them unique. I don't care if in newer generations it's easier, I want them to feel special just like they did back in 2005, and that's my logic for not changing it. And secondly, I haven't touched any other evolution method except for all the additional Pokémon that weren't present in the original so I don't know what you're talking about. Making trade evolutions work in-game doesn't mean their evolution methods are different. If you don't like it, that's okay, I can't please everyone.

However, with that said, I can think about making an optional feature to allow easier evolutions like Milotic, Kadabra and similar ones to be just Level or maybe day/night evolutions. That's actually a good idea, as I like to give options to the player. I was thinking of giving even more new options of different features, in order to create a modular hack-rom. Just don't expect any of this soon, as it will take a while.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2023
    Hi bro, I caught Lugia, but why Suicune doesn't appear in Shoal Cave? (while entei and raikou can appear and i have got them)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I see you mentioned that you're updating movepools. Do you have an anything I can refer to for a Pokémon's movepool? For example, Marill is now a fairy-type, but does it learn any new fairy time attacking moves? Is there a way I can check?

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Since this hack is a "Modern" version of Emerald. Shouldn't the Game Corner Prizes
    Be improved as well? They're kinda lame in the vanilla version, with just TM's and Dolls. Just a vague idea of sorts...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I see you mentioned that you're updating movepools. Do you have an anything I can refer to for a Pokémon's movepool? For example, Marill is now a fairy-type, but does it learn any new fairy time attacking moves? Is there a way I can check?

https://github.com/resetes12/pokeemerald/blob/master/src/data/pokemon/level_up_learnsets.h

Since this hack is a "Modern" version of Emerald. Shouldn't the Game Corner Prizes
    Be improved as well? They're kinda lame in the vanilla version, with just TM's and Dolls. Just a vague idea of sorts...

Maybe, I don't know which objects could be bought though.

Hi bro, I caught Lugia, but why Suicune doesn't appear in Shoal Cave? (while entei and raikou can appear and i have got them)

If you caught Lugia, the new update 1.3.3 should fix the issue. Just go to Lugia's Room (basically, where he stands) and that's it, Suicune should appear in Shoal Cave. Maybe that also makes Entei and Raikou re-appear... But it's fine. If for some reason that doesn't fix it, please DM me and I will fix it for you.

This issue should be fixed for everybody else. If you haven't caught or defeated Lugia, you're okay anyway but when you do remember to be in 1.3.3 or up.

I wasn't planning on releasing it yet, but oh well. Here's the changelog:

- 2 types of Exp. Share: gen 3-like and gen 6-like. You are given the gen 6 one by the Boss of Devon Corp as the original Emerald, and AFTER you obtain it you can buy "Exp. Share S" in the Slateport Mart. The "S" version is a hold item that works as it did in Gen 3. Please, keep me updated if you see any bug. It should work, but you never know.
    - Added the "Fairy Gem" item so now you have a Fairy attack type boost. Can be obtained by defeating wild Azurrill but will be obtainable in the next update in the overworld at least once.
    - And fixed catching Lugia not showing Suicune.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Jun 1, 2023
    Hey, loving the rom hack so far, but I have one question: Has the method to open the Sealed Chambers for the Regi Quintet changed? I tried the Emerald method and everytime i used Dig I just returned to the underwater spot.
    Do I need to beat the Champion first?

Years
    • Seen today
    Does this Hack have the Pokemon XD move tutors?

No. Most moves that could be learned by Pokemon XD tutors can be obtained via level or egg moves. Doing it was such a tedious and slow job that I may have missed some Pokémon or moves. Please let me know if you see any mistake or missing move so I can add it.

Hey, loving the rom hack so far, but I have one question: Has the method to open the Sealed Chambers for the Regi Quintet changed? I tried the Emerald method and everytime i used Dig I just returned to the underwater spot.
    Do I need to beat the Champion first?

You should read the braille messages then :)

Days
    • Seen Jun 1, 2023
    You should read the braille messages then :)
    Lol, i had to transcribe the braille using a chart, didn't really understand the change, but i really loved the Regieleki puzzle, that was really creative. Was the idea to give Regigigas Guts because Slow Start couldn't be programmed in?

Years
    • Seen today
    Lol, i had to transcribe the braille using a chart, didn't really understand the change, but i really loved the Regieleki puzzle, that was really creative. Was the idea to give Regigigas Guts because Slow Start couldn't be programmed in?

Yeah, I just changed it because I wanted to. Makes everything feel fresh and it's fun to confuse people.
    Regigigas has guts because it's really just a trophy Pokémon.

Days
    • Seen Jul 14, 2023
    Hi, I used to play the games as a kid and recently got back into it via emulation. I chose to play Emerald, as it keeps the wonderful 2D design and contains some modernisations, but I really missed the pokémon from Gen1-2, which I'm most familiar with (nostalgia). I tried a few romhacks to make all pokémon from these generations available, until I found Modern Emerald. I absolutely love the balance you're aiming for between keeping it faithful to the original + access to previous Gens + QoL/difficulty features. Great work, it's been so much fun playing it. Thank you!

I love the Pokémon availability, the many removed prompts + fast battle intro + speed changes (so smooth), TM & HM rework, fast HM interactions, fast escaping wild encounters, access to IVs/EVs. I look forward to playing the end-game, increased difficulty with EV/IV scaling, randomizing, Nuzlocke and eventually your take on FR/LG.

A have a few questions (for you or the community, just signed up to post this):
    - I encountered 2 bugs, what's the best way to report them to you? Here?
    - I play using OpenEmu but don't know of a way to transfer pokémon between save files. How are you going about it? I'm thinking of getting into breeding and would love to keep the rare shiny I might encounter in the future.
    - I used the pre-patched 1.3 version from PokeHarbor, how is it possible to update to the new 1.3.3 while keeping my old save file?
    - I've started a game with minimal settings (mostly Modern Spawns), but now that I know more about the game, I'd love to enable the setting Item Drop. Is that possible without starting a new game?
    - I don't understand the Stat Equalizer setting, what does it do?

A few UI suggestions/ideas to contribute:
    - When breeding pokémon and comparing IV stats, it would be really helpful if the IV toggle from the Summary > Pokémon Skills > press R stayed active when pressing Up and Down to switch between pokémon. The numbers would be easier to compare. Same for EVs.
    - An option to disable the prompt to give a nickname to a pokémon after capture. I never used nicknames and imagine there are other people out there who don't either. Would speed up the battles a little more in the spirit of what you've done so far.
    - Add Item Drop to the in-game options menu, just like Move Split (see above).
    - In the Menu > Pokémon view, a way to quickly trigger HM abilities of the pokémon in your team that don't have a prompt. I'm mostly thinking of Fly here. Since the uses of HMs with prompts such as Cut are so fast now, it feels slow to have to navigate to the pokémon to activate Fly. Could be done with L or R like the EV/IV toggle? Also useful for Flash and Dive?

Many thanks again for your work this far!

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi, I used to play the games as a kid and recently got back into it via emulation. I chose to play Emerald, as it keeps the wonderful 2D design and contains some modernisations, but I really missed the pokémon from Gen1-2, which I'm most familiar with (nostalgia). I tried a few romhacks to make all pokémon from these generations available, until I found Modern Emerald. I absolutely love the balance you're aiming for between keeping it faithful to the original + access to previous Gens + QoL/difficulty features. Great work, it's been so much fun playing it. Thank you!

I love the Pokémon availability, the many removed prompts + fast battle intro + speed changes (so smooth), TM & HM rework, fast HM interactions, fast escaping wild encounters, access to IVs/EVs. I look forward to playing the end-game, increased difficulty with EV/IV scaling, randomizing, Nuzlocke and eventually your take on FR/LG.

A have a few questions (for you or the community, just signed up to post this):
    - I encountered 2 bugs, what's the best way to report them to you? Here?
    - I play using OpenEmu but don't know of a way to transfer pokémon between save files. How are you going about it? I'm thinking of getting into breeding and would love to keep the rare shiny I might encounter in the future.
    - I used the pre-patched 1.3 version from PokeHarbor, how is it possible to update to the new 1.3.3 while keeping my old save file?
    - I've started a game with minimal settings (mostly Modern Spawns), but now that I know more about the game, I'd love to enable the setting Item Drop. Is that possible without starting a new game?
    - I don't understand the Stat Equalizer setting, what does it do?

A few UI suggestions/ideas to contribute:
    - When breeding pokémon and comparing IV stats, it would be really helpful if the IV toggle from the Summary > Pokémon Skills > press R stayed active when pressing Up and Down to switch between pokémon. The numbers would be easier to compare. Same for EVs.
    - An option to disable the prompt to give a nickname to a pokémon after capture. I never used nicknames and imagine there are other people out there who don't either. Would speed up the battles a little more in the spirit of what you've done so far.
    - Add Item Drop to the in-game options menu, just like Move Split (see above).
    - In the Menu > Pokémon view, a way to quickly trigger HM abilities of the pokémon in your team that don't have a prompt. I'm mostly thinking of Fly here. Since the uses of HMs with prompts such as Cut are so fast now, it feels slow to have to navigate to the pokémon to activate Fly. Could be done with L or R like the EV/IV toggle? Also useful for Flash and Dive?

Many thanks again for your work this far!

1. Just report them here or via DM. Although if you are playing 1.3 maybe they have been patched already, but I don't know.
    2. I have no idea what's OpenEmu but if you want to transfer between saves, the most practical thing would be uploading the save to a computer and using mGBA as it supports link trading. I tried, it works, and works for every version (for example, trading works from 1.0 to 1.3.3).
    3. Yes, from 1.3 on the saves are compatible. I'm trying my best to improve my hack without touching save-files. Sometimes it's difficult.
    4. No... Sadly that's a limitation that I cannot overcome. Next update, 1.3.4, will have even more options so you may want to wait to start a new game.
    5. It makes all pkm have equal base stats, so there are no "powerful" pkm as all are treated equally.

I'll also have a look at your suggestions and I will analyze them, but I cannot promise anything. They are not bad, though.

By the way, these are the new options that you'll see in the future 1.3.4.

AwEsuwm.png
    OpQHO5l.png

There are also a lot of small changes to improve the game (fixes, buffs, nerfs, etc.).
    For example, EXP. SHARE (Gen VI) now gives half the EXP. for the battling Pokémon if you are playing the game in Hard mode so it's less broken. Can be used as usual in Easy or Normal.
    Also, I decided to add the abilities Transistor, Dragon's Maw and Multitype for Regieleki, Regidrago and Arceus to improve their usability (no other abilities are planned, don't ask for them, they are special cases).

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Jul 14, 2023
    Many thanks resetes12 for the quick reply. I will DM you with the bugs (made a screen recording when they happened). I looked at the changelog but did not see anything related. OpenEmu is an emulator on macOS, your rom runs really well on it. Awesome I'll try mGBA. Totally understand regarding save files, as long as pokémon transfer is possible I don't mind starting a new game. No worries regarding suggestions, I simply wanted to share some thoughts I had while playing.

EDIT: Thanks for the sneak peek at 1.3.4, looking forward!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Since you've added an option to disable bike music, can you also add an option to disable Surf music?

Also, are Red and Blue Shards infinitely available? If not, can you make some Pokemon hold them?

Years
    • Seen today
    Since you've added an option to disable bike music, can you also add an option to disable Surf music?

Also, are Red and Blue Shards infinitely available? If not, can you make some Pokemon hold them?

Sure, Surf Music will be added.

Red and Blue shards are already infinitely available in Vanilla Emerald. They are held by Clamperl (Blue) and Corsola (Red). I may add a secondary Pokémon that holds Red Shards as Corsola are not very common, probably Carvanha and Sharpedo. The rest have also been added to other species, you can have a look here.

Days
    • she/her
    • Seen yesterday
    Hii, I don't know if I'm missing something, but I think that Sylveon and Eevee cannot learn any fairy type attack (except for charm). At least none appear in the pokedex move list.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hii, I don't know if I'm missing something, but I think that Sylveon and Eevee cannot learn any fairy type attack (except for charm). At least none appear in the pokedex move list.

Whoops, I completely forgot to add the new moves to Eevee. I've decided to release 1.3.4, as it fixes some (very minor) bugs including the Eevee one and adds interesting stuff. Here's the changelog:

New stuff:
    - Regidolls can be obtained from the Mauville Game Corner.
    - The "Solid Board" can be bought in Lilycove without the Rooftop sale, and during the Rooftop sale, you can buy the Blue and Red tent.
    - Wally now appears in the tutorial even if you skip it.
    - New option at the start of the game: Infinite TMs. Now you can select if you want them or not. Move tutors are one use again if you turn off Infinite TMs.
    - New option at the start of the game: Survive poison. If you select it, you'll survive poison with 1HP like Gen IV onwards.
    - New option at the start of the game: Easy Feebas. If you select it, Feebas will appear 5% of the time in any tile on Route 119.
    - New option in the options menu (no new game required): Surf Music, Bike Music and Even faster Joy (for those who cannot wait).
    - While playing in HARD, EXP. SHARE (GEN IV) will divide the Battling Pokémon EXP., so it's not as easy to over-level enemies. EASY and NORMAL are unaffected and work exactly like GEN VI. EASY / NORMAL: 100% exp. for the battling mon, 50% for the rest. HARD: 75% exp. for the battling mon, 50% for the rest.
    - Regieleki, Regidrago and Arceus have 3 new abilities. Transistor and Dragon's Maw boost Electric and Dragon moves by 50%, and Multitype for Arceus works the following way:
    Spoiler:

- Arceus has been massively buffed and it's probably broken. It's the last Pkm you'll probably obtain, it's fine.
    - Battle facilities now load 2 different versions of Pokémon: one adjusted with the Physical / Special split and one that is not adjusted to the split. It's still a work in progress and it's not finished.
    - Carvanha and Sharpedo now hold Red Parts.
    - Buffs and nerfs for many Pokémon. Notable ones: Sunflora has the default Sp. Atk and other stats have been boosted, Regidrago is not as broken with Dragon's Maw.
    - Buffs for some moves: Charge now up Sp. Def like in later gens, Poison Jab was added to some Pokémon.

Fixes:
    - Probably a lot, most important ones are Eevee having Fairy Moves, Fury Cutter not doing 640 damage after 5 turns (lol), lighting fixes and probably more.

"Do you need to do a new game to use the new options that can only be selected at the start of the game?"

Sadly, yes.

Keep me updated on any bug you find.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Nice to see an Emerald hack that focuses more on modernized mechanics instead of just add every single Pokemon and making it stupidly hard.
    Although, is there a possibility of adding more later generation moves in future releases? Would be nice to play older Pokemon with the full potential of their modern movesets.
    Also, any consideration into adding megas? Even if they're relegated to postgame, would be good to make the rematches more challeging.
    Whatever you decide, keep up with the good work! 😉

Back