• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need to get clear on this subject... o_O

Sawyer

���
Years
What is it with all the non-Asian people trying to be Japanese? You see them all over Anime conventions... Last year when I went to Comic-Con in San Diego (going again this year, and I know I'll see them), you see a bunch of normal, regular girls with cat ears on. You can always expect to see one of these catgirls anywhere you go where there's anime or Fruits Basket. I mean, more power to them if they're trying to be original, but it's getting so used by people trying to adopt cultures with false information about them. They're all over the place. I respect the Asian culture, I study it myself, but... these people who have no idea what the culture is about are flipping out over these cat ears, even though they have no idea what they are. And this kind of person can be seen online. No offense to the people on this forum who do so, but what is with the Japanese names? Like... Kurosaki, Kazuhito, etc.? I thought about one myself a year ago, then I had to go wash my mouth out with soap. This is not intended to offend anyone, and I am sorry for the people I may and probably will offend. But please, can someone tell me why people are running away from their own cultures?

And to the other side of the story... Asian people trying to be white? Why can't anyone embrace their culture anymore? It just sickens me... there's this Korean kid at my school who died his hair blond, and I asked him why he did that, and why he wasn't proud of his descent. He said that he was not proud to be Korean, and that it was important to be really cool rather than respecting where you came from. You tell me... does what I (and you probably) see make any sense?
EDIT: Just found it... xD

sp01192004.gif

Last edited:

ArchAngel

I also answer to "Hey sexy"
Years
korea is a war torn country, i can understand him, and these other people, just anime nerds cosplaying, lol

nerds will be nerds theres nothing more to say :3 peace out

Sawyer

���
Years
Good point about Korea... I respect that. But of course, there are the numbers of South Koreans who do so =/

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Kazuhito's my favorite drummer, just so you know. Or would you rather me use a full on Spanish name and call myself "Juan Carlos" or something like that?

The term you're looking for is Wapanese though, when someone of non-Japanese decent tries to be Japanese by only using things they've seen in the media as their Japanese knowledge. I myself do know Japanese, I thought it'd be cool to pick up a third language, so I picked up Japanese. I already know Spanish and English and there's nothing else I really wanted to learn. I like the Japanese culture and society and their pop culture, and I'm not some otaku to it. I use the term otaku to represent the Wapanese population. They think anything from Japan is automatically better than anything from America and they forget their birth culture. I don't, I'm still semi-proud of my heritage, but does that mean I can't take an interest in another culture?

Sawyer

���
Years
Like I said.. no offense. I didn't know that you were literally interested in learning Japanese. I, too, am studying the Japanese culture and language. And no, I'm not some bitter old bastard who won't let kids do anything new. I'm a liberal, and I'm nowhere near old =O I just don't enjoy people's cultures being thrown in the trash for another one. I mean, let them do what they want, I'm not stopping them, I'm merely a messenger for a greater public. =/

Last edited:

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
I'm Korean myself, but not everyone tries to be 'white.' They probably lack sufficient reasoning as to why they should stay by their culture, and the temptation of popularity has always been among us. People naturally find genuine interest in different cultures at first and desire to take part in it. Rather than taking a logical step and cultivating that desire into standard knowledge, they show their fondness by, let's say, wearing those 'cat ears' and overusing some Japanese phrases.

Sawyer

���
Years
Thank you, finally someone who actually sees it. (I've posted this on many forums...)

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
Years
I think it's because the particular person is more interested in that culture, I don't think it's because they don't like their own culture. I myself love the japanese culture, it is a very interesting culture and it goes beyond anime and manga.

Beatrice

OH DESIRE
Years
For one thing, I'm not much like my culture at all XD Not stereotypical. I hate stereotypes, they're more of labels. I...really don't pay much attention to race/culture really. ._. If I act a certain way and get labeled a certain way, well that sucks I guess, but that doesn't mean I have to change who I am to fit my decent. Just IMHO...

Rikster101

~Wandering Trainer~
Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2009
ive seen alot of japanese kids at my high school trying to do that too........

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
ArchAngel said:
korea is a war torn country, i can understand him, and these other people, just anime nerds cosplaying, lol

nerds will be nerds theres nothing more to say :3 peace out
Not all cosplayers are nerds. Some just really love a fandom.

A lot of my friends call me Wapanese, but it's really far from the truth. Yes, I love Japan. But no, I don't embrace false hopes that are given by manga/anime/fan writings about Japan. I actually researched Japan for multiple school projects ._. Including their official site to get demographic and country information, JET teacher accounts, and actual news sites for Japan [sometimes translated].

So as much as some people would like to believe, I'm not Wapanese <<" I'm glad I'm white. I just like the culture in Japan. More for the game designing than anime/manga. Mindswell study my future job ;P

That's just my personal account on the issue .________.

John Denver

Banned
Years
It's because they're socially unintelligent geeks. That's like, the reason for almost all annoyance in the world.

They like anime. They're equally annoying friends like anime. Seeing as this is true, they like to be loud and obnoxious and somehow think that liking anime makes them cool and original (which it doesn't...). They're usually boys actually, not usually girls. I'm not saying that every hardcore anime fan is a nerd, simply 99.999999999999% of them...

Yeah, I don't like nerds really...mainly nerds that complain and bother me with their cackly voice and soda can sized arms...

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
John Denver said:
It's because they're socially unintelligent geeks. That's like, the reason for almost all annoyance in the world.

They like anime. They're equally annoying friends like anime. Seeing as this is true, they like to be loud and obnoxious and somehow think that liking anime makes them cool and original (which it doesn't...). They're usually boys actually, not usually girls. I'm not saying that every hardcore anime fan is a nerd, simply 99.999999999999% of them...

Yeah, I don't like nerds really...mainly nerds that complain and bother me with their cackly voice and soda can sized arms...
I never knew you felt that way about me .-.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Don't just spay these so-called "catgirls." Terminate them outright with as much prejudice as you can muster upon sight. For the sake of real catgirls, destroy these disgraces.

I'm not Wapanese. Conversely, I'm not ashamed of my Filipino heritage. There. Simple and to the point.

These "Wapanese" need to know their place. Same goes for those Asians who want to be white. They sicken me in equal proportion.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
Years
I actually do act kind of Wapanese but only at my high school because the American influence is too strong there. All you see are either gangsters or hippies. I'm just trying to balance things out because on the net, I use English-sounding usernames.

Beatrice

OH DESIRE
Years
Jack O'Neill said:
Don't just spay these so-called "catgirls." Terminate them outright with as much prejudice as you can muster upon sight. For the sake of real catgirls, destroy these disgraces.

I'm not Wapanese. Conversely, I'm not ashamed of my Filipino heritage. There. Simple and to the point.

These "Wapanese" need to know their place. Same goes for those Asians who want to be white. They sicken me in equal proportion.
I still don't get how you can 'want' to be another race. I think you just are what you are. If you just happen to fit under that category, that sucks =\

I hate posers like that. I know one too. She's Wapanese and I showed her the FMA movie.
She's like 'Wow! Does it take place in Japan?'
'...no, Germany'
'But, isn't it Japanese?'
'so?'
'So why isn't it in Japan?'

Those kind of people piss me off.

Anywho, real 'catgirls'? o.0
'

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Dragion said:
I still don't get how you can 'want' to be another race. I think you just are what you are. If you just happen to fit under that category, that sucks =\
What's hard to get about someone wanting to be something else?

John Denver

Banned
Years
Kazuhito said:
What's hard to get about someone wanting to be something else?

Well yeah...it's everyone's natural tendency to be jealous of someone else...

DANG ASIAN HAIR!! ALWAYS SO PERFECT!!

Back