• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mama's Boy

Years
  • Hm, good work. I can totally sympathize with Jack - Friday, my mom tried to come with me and my friends to see the movie Twilight, because one of my friends couldn't come and we had a leftover ticket. Luckily, I managed to um....'convince' her to go home. Ended up getting sick, too, stupid swirling bright colors...-grumbles-

Anyway, like it's been said before, there's still some grammar mistakes, although it's a lot better than your previous chapters.

Mom looked very troubled when we started walking again the next day.

This (and your descriptions of April afterward) are kinda odd. If Jack's so angry at April, he probably wouldn't notice so much detail. Maybe that she was upset, but it probably wouldn't bother him very much.

"Mom," I whispered to her, "Are you alright?"

The period should be a comma because the first quotation is part of the second. Er...I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, but the full sentence is 'Mom, are you alright?' so the period can't be there. Also, instead of 'all right', you use 'alright'.

"Raymond was an extraordinary man." told a childhood friend in the funeral.
    This just reads out wrong. Also, because the childhood friend doesn't say anything right after, it should be a period instead of a comma. So, my suggestion for revision:

"Raymond," a childhood friend of Raymond's announced at the funeral, "Was an extraordinary man."

He was a scientist even when he was too young to read or write. He'd pretend to read these enormous books - and we other kids really thought he knew how to read!
    There's only one grammar mistake and that's that instead of a comma, it should be a dash. However, it's not very...true. Most kids learn to read at four, five or six. Unless you mean he was trying to read books way above his reading level or something...

"This one's mine."
    It's a declarative period, so no comma.

"I only give sensible names to my children," he told his wife and gently stroked the baby's cheek with his finger.
    Just a typo, I'm guessing.

Just before it was time for the sun to set, we arrived at the suburbs of New Viridian City.

I should remember the reasoning for this comma - my LA teacher explained it last week - but I can't remember. I believe it has something to do with-

Oh! Er, right. Um, 'Just before it was time for the sun to set' is a dependant clause and needs to be connected with the independant clause, which, in this case, is 'we arrived at the suburbs of New Viridian City'. The comma signifies this.

Um, I think that's all. But then again, I have a major headache and I've been throwing up all day and yesterday, so what do I know? Hope that helps. Good work.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Thanks for the corrections!

This (and your descriptions of April afterward) are kinda odd. If Jack's so angry at April, he probably wouldn't notice so much detail. Maybe that she was upset, but it probably wouldn't bother him very much.
    At this point, he isn't angry anymore. He has accepted his fate, so to say, and he has also noticed that it's convenient to have a cook with them on a trainer journey. He might be remotely pissed and slightly depressed, but after all, he is ten and ten-year-olds have easily changeable emotions. Right? I should know, it hasn't been such a long tme since my brother was ten...

However, it's not very...true. Most kids learn to read at four, five or six. Unless you mean he was trying to read books way above his reading level or something...
    But I didn't tell how old Raymond was ;) So it's all right! I mean, he could very well be five years old in this scene and thus still illiterate. But, well, the thing I was going for was indeed that he was reading something way above his level. I can imagine little red-haired Raymond sitting in a big chair and holding some huge book about physics upside down...

Um, I think that's all. But then again, I have a major headache and I've been throwing up all day and yesterday, so what do I know? Hope that helps. Good work.
    Thanks, it helped! And try to get well soon, okay? ^-^'' And thanks for liking my fic xD Seriously, thank you!

Wait, why has a post been deleted from this thread? What was in that post? Did someone flame me without me noticing it? Huh? Boy, am I confused now... ó.ò

Last edited:

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
  • This needs a bump-up before it's too late, I really want to see the next chapter of this, like ALL of your fics.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Chapter 5

After so special request, what can I do but to post the next chapter? <3
    So, here we go, Chapter 5! In this chapter, the plot thickens, as they say...
    This is again unbeta'd, because I just can't find myself a beta, but I hope it doesn't have too much to complain about. However, feel free to complain all you want!

Chapter 5 - Lilian Burroughs

I woke up really early the following morning. The sun had just only begun to climb up on the sky when I sat down at the edge of the forest. The slope before me, covered with nice big houses and their spacious yards, descended gently to the city that was already waking up. The sunrise was beautiful, the weather was comfortably cool and refreshing and I was hugely excited about getting to New Viridian City. I bathed in the morning sun and felt happier than ever before. I didn't mind Mom following me on my journey anymore. Nobody could ruin the fantastic feeling of being on one's first adventure.

I saw a pair of ditto crossing the yard of one of the houses fairly close to me. I didn't feel like catching them: I thought it was far more interesting to see what they were doing. I watched how they transformed themselves into garbage men and took the trashcan from the backyard of one of the houses and hid it behind the bushes. When they thought nobody could see them, they poured all the trash on the ground, transformed back to their pink, gooey selves and started to find something to eat from the pile of garbage.

"Aren't you up early," Lilian said from behind me. I gasped and turned around. She smiled at me.

"What were you watching?" she asked, shading her eyes with her hand, and stared at the city.

"Those two ditto. Can you see them?" I pointed my finger at the pink creatures. Lilian squinted and tried to look at the direction I was pointing to.

"Aren't you going to catch them? I hear ditto are pretty rare" she said to me. Her facial expression told me that she saw neither of the ditto.

"No. I think it's more interesting to see what they'll do," I answered and watched how the pair of ditto made a small victory dance. Apparently they had found something delicious. Lilian giggled faintly and turned away, back to our camp.

"I once knew someone like you," she said, sounding rather sad. With that, she walked away. When I looked after her, I saw that Mom had already got up and was making breakfast. Of course she'd make it herself on a lousy campfire. We were ten steps away from a restaurant but she was way too mingy to pay for food if she could do it herself.

"Mom, we should go into a restaurant! It's not that expensive!" I shouted while standing up.

"Oh, so you're a rich man now, huh?" she answered with her most annoying tone.

"Can't we spend a little money sometimes? Come on, it's a great morning, I'm sure you'd rather do something else than cook! Let's eat something good in some nice restaurant," I tried to convince her. I really didn't care for any more porridge or whatever she wanted to make this time. Ten years of porridge makes people grow tired of that grey, lumpy goo. We didn't even have any jam to put in it.

Raymond stopped suddently. Jack, now one and a half years old, peeked over his shoulder. He was riding on his father's back and having a blast but now it seemed that Raymond had some other plans. April stopped a few steps further than her husband and turned around.

"What is it?" she asked with minor irritation in her voice. She knew Raymond and him stopping could mean only two things: either he hurt his leg or he had had one of his big ideas again. Frankly, she believed it was the latter.

"I'm hungry. Let's go to a restaurant," Raymond said and grinned. He had noticed a small neigbourhood restaurant. He had made this discovery more with his nose than his eyes.

"A restaurant? But our home's not that far away!" April answered in disbelief.

"What is it?" asked Jack. His father whispered something to his ear and April could see how his little face lit up with excitement.

"I want to go!" Jack announced to his mother. She sighed.

"So, you're a rich man now?" she asked Raymond angrily.

"Can't we spend a little money sometimes? Come on, Jack hasn't been to a restaurant even once and he's almost a grown-up already! Besides, I'm sure you'd rather do something else than cook," Raymond tried to convince his wife with the help of Jack's occasional "yeah"s from his back. April looked at the two pairs of brown eyes that looked at her pleadingly from two tanned faces surrounded by reddish brown hair. Jack really was Raymond's son. The only thing he seemed to have inherited from his mother was the shape of his eyes. April Sighed again.

"Oh, what the heck. Let's go," she said and smiled.

"It almost feels like he's alive again," Mom mumbled when I got closer. She was probably thinking about dad again. It was funny how she seemed to think about him so often yet she never really talked about him to me. I knew practically nothing of my dad.

"Are we going or not," I asked her impatiently. She gave me an arrogant look.

"No, we're not," she said with a tone that implied it would be her last word. I sighed and turned back to the city.

"Let's eat fast, then," I muttered and went back to the slope to see if the ditto were still eating. They weren't.

It took Mom one immensily long hour to finish cooking, eat and pack her things. After she was ready, we could finally descend to New Viridian City and face the Gym Leader there. I wasn't sure who the Gym Leader was, I only knew the type of New Viridian's gym had always been fire. That meant I would have the advantage in my battle, so I'd win the badge for sure. Mom, however, would be at disadvantage and I was sure she wouldn't win with only one try. For once, I could beat my rival even if I had the worst luck ever.

There were signs around the city to guide people to the New Viridian Gym so we had no problem finding the large, red dome at the center of the city. The orange, flame-patterned door slid open in front of us when we entered the building. There were multiple training rooms with skilled trainers to test people who come to challenge the Gym Leader but we decided to go straight to the main battle hall. Man, was that hall huge! It had a full-size battle field with proper markings, two stands at each end for trainers and lots of places where audience could sit if there was a bigger fight or a tournament. Soon after we entered the room, a familiar-looking girl appeared on a balcony at the other end of the hall.

"Who are you?" she asked us, speaking to a microphone so we could hear her. Her voice echoed in the hall and made me feel very privileged for being able to fight in a place like that.

"I'm Jack Killigan and I'm with April Killigan, Mari Itaka and Lilian Burroughs. We're here to challenge the Gym Leader!" I shouted as loud as I ever could.

"Oh, great," said the blonde girl on the balcony. "Not again."

When her bubble gum popped, I recognized her. She was Gisella, the younger sister of the Champion Lauranna. I didn't want to believe it at first, but as her balcony ascended and she walked closer, there was no mistaking it. Her blonde hair, tan skin and her signature outfit - the shortest purple skirt ever made with a black, skin-tight shirt - gave no room for doubt. She was Gisella, as annoying as ever. How could she be a Gym Leader?

"Which one of you kids wants to go first?" she asked when she had climbed to her battle stand. Her bubble gum popped and the sound echoed in the hall. Suddently the echo didn't make me feel so big anymore. It made me feel like I should run away, give up my pokémon and sign up to be a sailor.

"I will go," said my Mom before anyone else said anything. She had won her every fight this far, and there had been almost five of them on the way here, so she was really confident about her skills.

"Oh, wow, you're not a kid! This'll be exciting!" Gisella cheered up after seeing Mom on the stand. "Right then. I now declare this gym battle has begun or something. Choose your pokémon, challenger. I choose Cyndaquil!"

She threw her pokéball and the said pokémon appeared. I started to get really excited despite the fact it was my Mom facing off against Gisella.

"Go, Fluffy!" yelled my Mom and threw her ball as well. I enjoyed seeing the suprised look on Gisella's face when she saw the shiny turtwig. Fluffy was as arrogant as ever, making faces at the cyndaquil and completely ignoring the fact he was the one at disadvantage.

"You named your turtwig Fluffy?" asked Gisella in even greater disbelief. "You must be from the coutryside or something."

"Fluffy! Use tackle!" Mom said and tried to act as cool as the trainers on television. She leaned to the handrail of her stand with her other hand and pretended to concentrate on the fingernails of the other. From the corner of my eye, I could see Blanca shaking her head with shame.

"Cyndaquil, some heat, please," commanded Gisella and her bubble gum went "pop" again. Cyndaquil spewed out a fire ball that hit Fluffy. He rolled backwards, stopped and didn't get up. He just laid there and trembled slightly. He was out and it had been only the first attack. Again, my mother had done the most unexpected thing. Well, of course she still had her sentret Twiggy, but he wouldn't stand much chances either. Blanca surely wouldn't fight in a stupid fight like this, so she wasn't of any help either.

To my suprise, however, Mom didn't even sent Twiggy out. She gave up, just like that, so that Fluffy wouldn't have to suffer too long. A nurse appeared from the door and lifted Fluffy on a stretcher. Apparently there was always a nurse from the Pokémon Center to be on call if something happened during the gym battle. Mom climbed down from her stand and went with the nurse.

"Mom, where are you going?" I asked her. It was obvious she was going to follow Fluffy to the Pokémon Center, so the main point of my question was to make her think why she was going.

"I'm going with Fluffy," she answered impatiently. "You can do by yourself for a little while, can't you?"

"But don't you want to see my gym battle?" I was desperate. I couldn't believe my mother followed me when I didn't need her and abandoned me when I wanted her to be there for me.

"Fluffy is more important now," she told me angrily. "I'll see your next fight, I promise."

With that, she left. The door closed behind the nurse and Mom and she was gone. I turned towards Gisella who was watching the scene from her stand. She was clearly amused. She looked at me like she was all high and mighty and made another bubble of her gum.

"You're a total mama's boy, huh?" she asked me when her bubble had popped.

"Don't make me mad," I warned her. "I'm going to be the next one to fight you!"

She answered me with clear, amused laughter. She underestimated me and that made me mad. I was ready to climb to the stand any second now when Lilian interrupted my train of thought.

"I'll battle you next, if that's fine with Jack," she said and snapped her fingers so that her absol, Emma, came to her from the door she had been watching. "Maybe Mrs. Killigan manages to come back early enough to see your fight after all."

I watched her in suprise when she climbed up the stairs leading to the stand.

"Go, Emma," she said with a calm voice. Emma ran to the battle field and took a stand-by pose. She glared at the cyndaquil. Even though she was about as experienced as the cyndaquil must have been, she looked very mature and convincing. Her red, gleaming eyes stared at the poor cyndaquil who completely lost his will to fight. Gisella seemed slightly worried about the sudden turn of events. She even frogot to make bubbles out of her gum for a while. She grabbed the handrail of her stand and looked strictly at her cyndaquil.

"Use ember or something on that absol," she commanded and pointed at Emma. Cyndaquil took a deep breath but before he could spew out the fireball, Emma had already ran to him and smashed her body against his. She was a lot heavier than the small, blazing creature, so the poor cyndaquil rolled far. As he got up, Emma was already attacking again. Lilian didn't say a word and yet the absol was battling like she was following orders.

"You're cheating," Gisella screamed. "How come that absol can do stuff without you telling her? You're cheating!"

"She's just smart," Lilian said and shrugged. I looked up to her in great admiration.

The cyndaquil tried to protect himself by rolling into a ball and letting the flames on his back grow taller. When Emma smashed him again, she got a nasty burn out of it, but he was already done for. The cyndaquil had fainted and Gisella called him back.

"Go, Ponyta!" yelled Gisella, now looking almost like a normal person. She was all pale and sweaty from being so upset and she had lost her arrogant, indifferent attitude. She threw her ball without any extra maneuvers and her ponyta appeared on the battlefield.

"Use... something! What can ponytas do, anyway?" she shouted and the confused ponyta looked up to her. "Come on, attack with some cool move!"

The ponyta seemed to think for a second before he took action. Before Emma could attack him with another quick attack, he covered himself with fire and started to run towards her. She couldn't escape the attack, as the ponyta was far too fast for her.

"Hey, you could do that?" Gisella seemed suprised at the skills of her ponyta. "That's pretty cool. Maybe I should use you more often."

Emma was left with another burn but it didn't seem to stop her. She plunged towards the ponyta with her claws expanded and landed a direct hit. The ponyta staggered sideways but before he managed to collect himself again, Emma attacked with another fast tackle.

The ponyta was down and Gisella called him back. She had now lost, so she climbed down from her stand and walked to the middle of the battle field. Lilian came to her and received her first badge. Mari and I cheered for her when she walked back to us. I couldn't believe it: she was so beautiful, so smart and even a great trainer. Was there anything not loveable about her?

"So, is it my turn now?" I asked eagerly and grabbed my both pokéballs.

"I don't see your Mom anywhere," Gisella mocked me. "Besides, I can't fight with KO'd pokémon. You have to fight my stand-in. She has the same pokémon, so don't worry. I'll go and call her."

With that, Gisella turned away from us and left. I hoped from the bottom of my heart that would be the last time I ever had to see her. We didn't have to wait for long before her stand-in appeared. She was completely different than Gisella: she had black hair and a serious look on her face, she wore a short, red dress and a red bandana and she looked like she knew what she was doing. I immediately admired her.

"I'm Sandra," she said when she had reached her stand. Her voice was almost emotionless. "I'll be fighting you now."

"Great," I told her and climbed up to my stand. I took out Piyon's ball and threw it. "Go, Piyon, let's show them!"

"Right, then," said Sandra. "Go, Cyndaquil."

The two pokémon glared at each other. For a while, the cyndaquil looked straight at me with the most menacing eyes. Suddently I felt a bit scared and not at all confident anymore. I shook of the feeling, because I had to win this fight.

"Bubble him out!" I yelled and pointed my finger at the cyndaquil. I started to feel more confident now and I was even proud of the witty command I had given. I had the advantage here so I would surely win this fight.

"Use ember," Sandra told her cyndaquil.

That was when the unexpected happened - again.

Piyon attacked his opponent with a swarm of bubbles but didn't hit. The cyndaquil, however, seemed like it never even meant to hit Piyon. Staring straight at me, he spewed out a fireball that came flying towards my head. I barely managed to escape the attack.

"What the..." I didn't have time to say anything more because the next fireball hit my arm. I yelped from the pain and looked at Sandra.

"What are you doing?" Mari yelled at the black-haired woman. Sandra didn't listen to her: instead, she commanded her cyndaquil to attack me again. Piyon spat out bubbles, trying to stop his opponent from attacking me, but even if the bubbles hit the cyndaquil, he didn't care.

Suddently he was covered in pinkish light and couldn't move anymore.

"What's this, now?" asked Sandra and frowned. She looked at Mari and Lilian and so did I. Much to my suprise, Lilian was also glowing pink light.

"Stop attacking him," she said and gave a frightening look to Sandra. "You're with the Legendary League, aren't you?"

"You know awfully much for a kid your age," Sandra said and smiled a cold smile. "Not to mention you have some extraordinary skills."

Both Mari and I looked at Lilian in great amazement. I didn't know whether I should be afraid or excited. Lilian glanced at Mari and sighed. Her glowing slowly faded and she let the cyndaquil from her grasp. The creature was scared enough not to attack me right away, so Lilian let him go. Then she looked at me.

"Are you all right?" she asked me. I nodded and closed my mouth as I noticed it had been open for quite a while now. The pink glow had suprised me pretty badly. It reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite grasp what it was. Lilian nodded back at me and then sighed again.

"We're probably better off if I reveal myself," she noted to Mari and me.

"What?" asked Mari, and spoke my thoughts out loud. Lilian started to glow a bit again and then she vanished into a pink cloud. When the could dissolved, I gasped and almost fell down from the stand. She had turned into a light pink, cat-like creature with big blue eyes and a long tail. Lilian Burroughs, as we had known her, was Mew.

"I watch over these children," she said menacingly to the black-haired woman. "I watch over them, so you better not do anything funny."

"You- you're Mew!" Sandra stuttered. She had finally lost her cool and calm attitude.

"I am, and I am with the PFFP," Lilian - or Mew - said self-righteously. Without a word, Sandra called her pokémon back, stumbled down from her stand and escaped the room as fast as she could. Blanca seemed to be grumpy about something again. Mari and I stared at Lilian for a long while. She looked at me and she looked at Mari, and then she closed her huge, azure eyes and giggled a bit. Her giggle sounded nothing like her voice, but that was probably because it was her real voice and not a psychic voice. I had noticed her mouth didn't move when she spoke to Sandra, so I also assumed Lilian's voice never was real. More than anything I was stunned about the fact I had had a crush on a pokémon.

"I don't think it was wise to tell that," Blanca muttered to Mew. She stared at Mew with her piercing, red eyes.

Mew looked at Blanca for a while with a pondering look on her eyes. She then sighed and muttered something with her real voice, but I doubt anyone heard what it was.

"I think we have a lot to talk about," she then said and turned back to Lilian. "But I suggest we wait until April is with us."

"Right," said Mari absent-mindedly and I nodded like I knew what was going on. And then, for a while more, we stared at her, our mouths open and our eyes the size of plates.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Ah... new chapter, new surprises. It's good to see the story is moving.

I'll highlight some small details I thinks deserve some attention. Remember, I'm not that sharp great yet!

I watched how they transformed themselves into garbage men and took the trashcan from the backyard...
    An interesting element. I haven't seen Ditto being portrayed in fics that much, and then having them actually using their Transform skill to feed, it's a nice touch to the story. I just felt like commenting on it.

We were ten steps away from a restaurant but she was way too mingy to pay for food if she could do it herself.
    Reminds me of my mom... maybe it does to everyone (their own moms BTW :D).

Raymond stopped suddently. Jack, now one and a half years old, peeked over his shoulder. He was riding on his father's back and having a blast but now it seemed that Raymond had some other plans. April stopped a few steps further than her husband and turned around.

"What is it?" she asked with minor irritation in her voice. She knew Raymond and him stopping could mean only two things: either he hurt his leg or he had had one of his big ideas again. Frankly, she believed it was the latter.
    I'm loving those flashback scenes. They show another face of the characters (actually, Jack's) that we don't get in the today action scenes. The "like father, like son" is done in a very evident and self-sustained manner, in that it only barely holds from the actual similarities they have (their manner of speak), and instead relies in a more abstract but at the same time firmer link as is April's perspective. Which, by the way, is a nice way to introduce POVs from more than one character in a first-person fic.

There was a particular flashback a couple of chapters behind that "ringed my bell", but I didn't manage to review in time. You're doing quite fine with these.

She was Gisella, as annoying as ever...
    Was she introduced before? Somehow I can't remember... :( Shoulda read again...
    Oh, yeah, the Pokédex's voice! That little double take was great!

Gisella said:
    "Use ember or something on that absol,"
    ----
    "How come that absol can do stuff without you telling her? You're cheating!"
    ----
    "Use... something! What can ponytas do, anyway?"
    ----
    "That's pretty cool. Maybe I should use you more often."
    An interesting characterization for the first Gym Leader, a member of the E4, and the person tasked with the Pokédex voice. I'm liking the character, actually. :D
    And, of course, her personality made the upcoming event (Sandra) quite more enjoyable. It was like, "Oh, geez, thanks god that nuts attempt at a Gym Leader joke is gone away... what the... what's this, murder by Pokémon?"

Lilian Burroughs, as we had known her, was Mew.
    Best turn of events in a parody-sort-of-fic done in a slightly-unsual-manner-of-seriousness so far. I hope that mumbo jumbo made some sense. I mean... it's like this IMHO: if this was a uber serious fic, that would have been the point where the story "jumped the shark" of sorts. But it was done in a simple way and in a serious manner enough to keep in perfect tone with the raising seriousness of the parody-of-sorts up to that point.
    And of course it was a nice turn of events. I was expecting that Shiny Turtwig would make a spectacular comeback the paragraph before.

Well... this I wrote kinda rushed, as I had the great Idea (BAD IDEA) of reviewing your fic while I'm cooking some pasta, so... well... do I smell something? Is that the smoke sensor?
    Actually, yes. Something just happened and I'll have to eat dried spaghetti now. I'll suggest Xanthine to put up a "⚠WARNING⚠ Do NOT review while cooking" thingie in his reviewing advisory. :cheeky:

Oh and there are some minor typos I found. Nothing too serious.

It took Mom one immensily long hour to finish cooking
    Small typo. Should say: "immensely".

I only knew the type of New Viridian's gym had always been fire
    You have it noncapitalized here, but it's capitalized elsewhere. Maybe a typo?

Suddently the echo didn't make...
    A "t" sneaked by :D.

Beyond that, I can't find other notorious grammar or spelling mistakes.

I have to say I keep enjoying this story. It is a sane parody of sorts of what OTs can be. I also like the character development so far, in paticular how April's is mostly done in flashback.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Chapter 6

Ta-dah! I now present to you, the first ever beta'd chapter of Mama's Boy... Beta'd by bobandbill whom you all should be grateful to... Chapter six!

Chapter 6 - Two Beings

We were out of the town again, sitting in a moist forest and eating rock-hard bread. I was still a bit hazed as to how we had gotten into the forest. To be frank, I had been very confused ever since Lilian had revealed herself to be Mew. Since Mari had also been a bit out of it, I think Lilian had been in charge for a while now. She had lead us out of the Gym, and to the Pokémon Center to pick up a rather confused Mom and Fluffy. Then she sent Emma to give a message to someone, but I hadn't heard who was supposed to get the message. Finally, Lilian had brought me, Mari and Mom to the forest to reveal her identity to Mom, too.

There were no people in that forest, not even young trainers, and those kids seem to be all over the place. We could hear all kinds of pokémon rustling about and making noises. I doubt Mom heard any of that, though. She seemed a bit distracted as Lilian had just told her about her identity as Mew.

Mom was looking at Lilian/Mew with eyes like saucers. Her mouth was so open I swear I could have placed my whole fist there without touching her lips. I didn't try to, though. The thought was gross enough.

"You're Mew?" she asked and gasped simultaneously, which made her words a bit hard to understand.

"Yes, I am indeed," said Lilian and looked at Mom with an amused expression in her blue eyes. Were they always that blue? I couldn't tell. It was only now that I truly realized that the least expected had happened again. The girl I had had a crush on was a Pokémon. What were the odds?

"There's only one Mew, right?" Mom whispered, and suddenly her eyes started to fill with tears. "You went to see Raymond all those years ago, right?

Lilian didn't say anything. She looked at Mom for a while. Blanca sat next to Mom, but she didn't really seem interested in what was going on. That made me suspect she had already known Lilian wasn't who she had seemed to be. Then, Lilian took a deep breath and turned back into Mew.

"I am with the PFFP," she said with a slightly more mature voice - and without opening her mouth. "You probably heard something about us way back then, April. The kids know nothing of us, right?"

Mom shook her head slowly while the long-forgotten tears rolled down her cheeks. I started to get annoyed.

"Could you tell us something about this PFFP, by any chance?" I asked Lilian - or Mew - with a highly irritated tone.

"Of course I could," Mew answered and laughed. "It's just another thing whether I am going to."

"Aww, come on," moaned Mari with her most persuasive tone. "Can't you even tell us what PFFP is short for?"

"Pokémon For Fewer Problems, maybe?" the pokémon pondered out loud with an amused expression on her face. "We never really thought about that. PFFP just sounded cool, so we went with it. The truth is, PFFP is consisted mainly of what you call legendary pokémon. Our goal, kind of, is to prevent all the evil plans of abuse and world domination that involves using the powers of us, the legendary pokémon. We're sick and tired of fleeing from Team Whatnot all the time."

"What have we got to do with this?" I asked. Mom was still pretty lost in her thoughts, so I wasn't sure if she heard anything. Just as I was about to ask her what was wrong, Mew answered.

"Your parents," she said, and suddenly all the amusement was gone from her eyes. "They died because of an evil plan that involved using the powers of legendary pokémon. As did many other men and women in this world, leaving their children behind. Haven't you ever wondered why there are so many orphans and half-orphans in our towns and cities? Many good scientists and trainers die because they have had an encounter with a legendary pokémon and Team Whatnot wants to 'question' or blackmail them."

"But... my mom, too?" asked Mari after a brief silence. I stared at Mom. How come she never told me my dad was killed on purpose? Did she know about this?

"Kotoko and Raymond were doing their research on pokémon genes," Mew explained. "They used a sample of Celebi's genes, cloned the sample and then injected it into the cells cloned from normal pokémon. Their goal was to make pidgeys that can travel in time, if I remember correctly. That's why I had to meet with them and tell them a bit about the balance of the world..."

Suddenly the air next to her started to get distorted.

"Oh, they're coming!" she shouted happily as she hovered a bit further from the twisted air.

It looked pretty much the same as hot air looks above a fire. We were all so surprised we almost forgot what Mew had been telling us about. Even Mom had stopped her reminiscing or whatever it was she was doing and looked at the ball-shaped area of distorted air that had started to turn black. Then the whole ball kind of imploded and - soon after - exploded. Two intimidating figures stood before us: one that was standing on four legs, had blue skin and a sort of silver crown in its head, and another one that stood on two legs, had pinkish skin and two wing-shaped things in its back. The blue one shook its head. They both had scary-looking yellow eyes. Mom, who had stood up, took a few steps backwards, tripped into a root sticking out of the ground and fell down.

"Mom, are you all right?" I asked her, but I didn't take my eyes from the two creatures in front of me. They were obviously very powerful, so I didn't want to give them a chance to get me while I wasn't looking.

"The blue one's Dialga!" yelled Mari as she pointed at the blue creature with her finger trembling. "That means the other one must be Palkia!"

"So, we're known in a distant region like Voitto, too," said Dialga, happy and surprised, giving us an expression that could've been a smile but certainly didn't look like one. Dialga's voice was surprisingly gentle and I can swear it had a feminine sound to it. Thus, I decided she was a female, although she certainly didn't look like one. I knew legendary Pokémon didn't really have a gender, but I had to call them either 'he' or 'she'. So, Dialga was a she, and she really looked intimidating. She had sharp, metallic claws and pieces of armor covering her blue skin. On her chest, there was a blue jewel. She looked like she could kill anyone with a single move, or possibly without even moving at all.

"Hello, Dialga and Palkia," Mew said to them with a happy tone. Apparently, we had nothing to be afraid about. Both Dialga and Palkia were on our side.

"I'm sorry we're late," said Palkia. "Dialga here forgot what time we were supposed to meet." Palkia's voice was clearly a masculine one, yet almost as gentle as Dialga's voice. He looked a bit less scary than his blue friend: his pink skin wasn't quite as intimidating, even though he also had sharp claws and pieces of white armor covering his body. He seemed to be more muscular and a lot heavier than Dialga.

"Excuse me, but you were the one who couldn't find the right place," Dialga remarked.

"You control time, for crying out loud! You could've made us come on time!" Palkia disagreed. They seemed to become less intimidating by the second.

"Hey, cut it out," Mew interrupted, trying to stop their fight before it had the chance to really start.

Suddenly Blanca jumped in front of the huge pink creature and growled at him.

"You were the one in charge!" she yelled.

Palkia looked menacing for a second or so, but then he lowered his head in shame. "I was indeed," he admitted with a sad voice.

Blanca growled even louder. It almost sounded like she was going to challenge Palkia into a fight.

"Stop it, Blanca," I tried to restrain her. Not that she had ever obeyed me, but maybe I could bring her to her senses. I took a step forward.

"Palkia was in charge of protecting the research team your dad was in, Jack," Mew told me.

I turned towards Mew and looked back at Palkia. I was confused. Blanca growled, but retreated to my side.

"Protecting? From what?" I asked. I was literally stunned. What the heck had my dad done for living?

"From the Legendary League," said Dialga.

A silence fell. I sat on the humid ground, groaned and rubbed my head. Blanca sat next to me, slowly waving her nine tails. She still glared at Palkia with murderous eyes, but it seemed that her rationality was beginning to be in charge again. I, however, had nothing to be rational about, because I didn't know anything anymore. Why didn't anyone tell me anything?

"So, there's PFFP, and Legendary League," I mumbled to myself.

"Yes, that is correct," said Dialga. "And now, as the representatives of PFFP, we're here to ask you a favor."

"Us?" asked Mari and sat down beside me. "Why would almighty legendary pokémon need help from a bunch of beginning trainers?"

All this information was starting to be quite overwhelming, even more so because no-one told us anything properly.

"We figured you'd have the motive to help us," Palkia explained.

"Moreover, more advanced trainers have the nasty tendency to try and catch us, for some reason," Dialga continued.

"And because there are certain rules that bind us legendaries," Palkia finished in a lower tone.

"Rules? Why would there be rules?" I asked a tad irritated. I was almost expecting them to say that they will not tell me yet, but I was soon proved wrong.

"So that the balance of the world isn't disturbed," said Mew with a serious expression in her sapphire eyes. "We all have our designated duties and we cannot pass our designated boundaries. I can transform and teleport, so it is forbidden for me to travel in time. Dialga can travel in time as much as she wants, but she cannot teleport by herself nor transform. Palkia can teleport and travel in time with Dialga, but he's banned from transforming. Neither of them can spend too much time in our world, and they have to live in their designated dimension. Celebi is like a subordinate to Dialga: he can travel in time but only be in one place at the same time. Do you understand? Of course, the elementary legendaries only have power over their designated element-"

"All right, we get it," said Mari. "I just don't understand why you need help from us!"

"We have come up with a way to get the leader of Legendary League in prison," Dialga explained with her red eyes glittering. "But we'd have to travel back in time and have someone act like a human. As Mew cannot travel in time and I cannot transform into a human, we'll have to take a real human with us."

"T-travel back in time?" This time the one to speak was Mom. From her expression I concluded that she would not let me nor Mari to go with Dialga, at least not without a huge fight.

Mom's obvious reluctance to help PFFP made me think. Indeed, it would be dangerous to travel back in time - but even more than that, it would be thrilling and heroic. Moreover, the father I had never known had something to do with this. It all began to sound very exciting.

"Correct," said Dialga. "We have learned that even though the leader of Legendary League covers the actions of his organization nowadays, that was not quite the case in the past. He once made a crucial mistake and we're going to find the proof required and take them to the police at the current time."

"Why not give them to the police in the past?" I asked. "Wouldn't that save the lives of the trainers and scientist and all the hardships you legendaries have gone through?"

"One thing is for sure," Dialga said with a strict voice. "The present cannot be changed by actions done in the past. My guess-"

"Why not?" Mari interrupted.

"That's a pretty good question, you know," Dialga said, smiling that creepy smile again. "There seems to be a certain mechanism in time that - in a way - repairs any damage done by time travelers. I don't precisely know why it exists... We noticed it for the first time when that horrible storm killed so many people and Celebi went back to tell the officials of Sinnoh about it. So that, you know, they could be ready for it and fewer people would die. Well, of course it didn't work at all... You've probably heard of that storm in history class, right?"

"Umm... No, doesn't ring any bells," both Mari and I said.

"Really? But..." Dialga looked shocked and embarrassed for a while for a while. "Oh, yeah, it hasn't happened yet... Forget the whole thing, will you? Anyway, it wouldn't work if we gave that evidence to the police in the past. My guess is that the police wouldn't believe us in that particular time, because they didn't chase the Legendary League in any case."

"Funny how you talk about 'that particular time', Dialga," said Palkia with irony in his voice. "We know only the day of that mistake, and I don't think you'll make it to the right time anyway."

"Oh, I see," answered Dialga. "How amusing that I should hear this from you, the Guardian of Space who couldn't even find Viridian City way back then!"

"Again, we wouldn't have been late if you just had taken better care of time," Palkia continued, his stance becoming somewhat menacing. "And how can I know my way around if I live in an entirely different dimension with completely different geography? Unlike time, space isn't the same everywhere."

"That's what you think!" Dialga yelled. "But you don't know because you haven't tried. I hate moving through time in this dimension, because it seems a lot more sensitive."

"All right," said Mew. "Are you cutting that out or do I have to hurt you?"

"Um," Mari tried to interrupt the beginning fight. "What was this mistake this leader-guy did?"

"He got emotional," Palkia said and smirked in a gloomy way. "He ordered a trainer he had known since his childhood to be killed because she simply wouldn't tell him what she knew about Suicune."

That sounded absolutely horrible to me. To kill someone just because she didn't obey - and a childhood friend, no less! This guy certainly deserved a punishment, and I was getting more and more motivated to give him one. This sounded like a great adventure, no doubt. I could become a hero, and I certainly liked that idea.

"Before she was murdered, he started regretting his cruel decision," Dialga continued. "He wrote a letter to this woman to warn her, but he never sent it. Apparently, in addition to the letter, he also kept a bit of her hair... And let his minions murder the trainer. It appears that he hid the letter and the hair in his office somewhere."

"We heard about this a week or so ago," Mew explained with a triumphant look on her face. "What's best, the letter and the hair soon disappeared. That means there's a chance we took them."

"Oh, dear," said Mom and sat next to me and Mari. "All this is making my head ache. Can you explain again?"

Dialga, Palkia and Mew exchanged a celebratory look. Mom had not declined yet. There was still hope for them to get their ultimate revenge - and for me to get to go on the biggest adventure ever.

April stared at Raymond. She was completely stunned by what her husband had just told her. "You can't possibly agree to something like that," she stuttered. "It's way too dangerous, Raymond!"

"April," Raymond said with a concerned but firm look in his eyes, "You know I can't decline. They need me. I have to help them. That's just who I am!"

"But what if something happens?" April argued, as she stood up from her chair. "You have a son now, you know. You can't just do whatever you feel like doing anymore. You have to take care of Jack."

"Nothing is going to happen," Raymond tried to calm her down. He sighed. "Think of it this way. Those creatures are living, feeling beings just like we are. The only difference is that they live practically forever and have immense powers. Imagine you live eternally and someone's constantly trying to catch and abuse you. Don't you feel sorry for them?"

"I know, Raymond! You told me already!" April retorted. She sighed and sat back down. "I just mean... Can't someone else do it? Someone without children? Can't they figure out something else?"

"Of course they could, but this is the easiest and fastest way," Raymond said. He looked at his wife with his brown, determined eyes. He knew he had already won. "April, I'm trying to save the lives of many dads and moms who shouldn't need to die. In a way, I'm saving the world here. Let me save them, April. Nothing bad will happen."

April didn't say anything. She, too, knew that Raymond had got his way again. April couldn't stop him. She simply had to trust Raymond and his team and pray that no-one realized what they were doing. Especially not the Legendary League Raymond had spoken of.

She shivered. Humans were a horrible species. In a way, she was extremely happy Raymond was willing to help pokémon even if it meant risking his life. She was happy and angry at the same time. She sighed again. "I guess you can help some troubled beings in need."

Raymond walked over to her and hugged her. "I knew I could trust you," he whispered to her ear in an apologizing way. Then, he stood up and headed over to the staircase. "I'm going upstairs to tell Jack about this all."

"He's sleeping. He won't hear you," April said.

"It's better that way. I have to apologize to him and it'll be less confusing for him if he doesn't hear it," Raymond replied before leaving the room.

April sighed again. She had a bad feeling about the whole thing.

"In any case," she suddenly said with a voice that made my heart break. Her words had a really strong tone of doubt in them. She looked at me very strictly. Then, out of the blue, she smiled to me in a somewhat confused way. "In any case, I guess we can help some troubled beings in need."

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Ha! -- I was waiting this!

It's of course good to see the story continues, and it's even better to see you got a BRer. And as I promised to myself (and maybe to you, An-chan, I truly don't remember) to review this fic until Secret People comes up again.. here am I.

That should leave me with little job to do, at least grammar/spellchecking wise, but as always, what I like to point out are the things that powerfully call my attention, and work from there.

Let's see...

First thing first, I did not enjoy this chapter as much as I did the others, maybe because I did not know what to expect after seeing that Lilian was Mew. I mean, it would be expected from an classic, to-be-parodied OT adventure. But placing the reveal where it ended up, offed my expectations and forced me to wait the next chapter with a "now what?" kind of attitude.
    As this chapter sets a darker tone for the story, the lightheaded humour that first called my attention onto this story feels sparser (but not worse). I hope the parody element soon peaks up again too, humor-wise, but it is otherwise well played, to my knowledge of the genre... which is unfortunaly limited to the parody style of movies like Airplane! and Hot Shots!. I'm lacking into the drama-to-drama parody department.

----

Mom was looking at Lilian/Mew with eyes like saucers. Her mouth was so open I swear I could have placed my whole fist there without touching her lips. I didn't try to, though. The thought was gross enough.

Note to self: try to impress someone to such a high degree that they end up with their mouths wide open and them BAM!!! -- fist in! The paragraph quite truly describes the degree to which the "World as We Know It" has changed, from one chapter to the next, and pointing it out from the mind of a charcater who has the luck to begin his Pokémon Journey with Mom tagging along , makes the choice of words in the last line quite enjoyable. I could swear for a moment we would get an insight into a mental regression of sorts to the trains of thought we were reading back at Chapter 2 (going with the luck thing above). Amuzingly played.

Maybe I can try this to one of my friends my revealing that--- BAM! I am not left-handed!!! TA-DÁ---!

It was only now that I truly realized that the least expected had happened again. The girl I had had a crush on was a Pokémon. What were the odds?
    I don't think he does truly realize, and this read too short and plain. But given his luck, what else was to expect? It's a world being shattered in a second. There is no need to delve further into the subject... Although I'd like to eventually hear Mew's perception on the subject, with this being a parody of the genre, given what is later revealed about her.
    Oh, and for the odds, ask Ash. The same issue, inverted. :D

Oh, and for the sake of, well, Lilian, I'm going to keep calling Mew a she. Genders schmenders.

"There's only one Mew, right?" Mom whispered, and suddenly her eyes started to fill with tears. "You went to see Raymond all those years ago, right?"
    There! A missing end quote! Yay! I finally made myself useful! :shocked: This is NOT a one-liner review! Yay!

Their goal was to make pidgeys that can travel in time, if I remember correctly.
    Seriously? :classic: Now that's an experiment I want to see! Although, coming from Mew, it could mean anything. I giggled at the concept of time-travelling Pidgeys, what not after years of memetic mutations like, well, Chainsaw Chanseys.

Oh and speaking of Mew,
    "All right," said Mew. "Are you cutting that out or do I have to hurt you?"
    That line is the win of the Chapter. I very much liked how giggly Mew turns out to, em... oversee, Palkia and Dialga? The pair acts like a couple of siblings who share their job at a KFC, or any other food place for that matter. They try to one-up each other verbally and not very veiledly, giving an idea of what their interaction has been like for whatever time scale Dialga is measuring (and making me feel actually pity for them atfer watching the 10th movie).
    The way Mew holds them off each other is more remniscent of filial fondness than it is of a elder role caretaking or a best-buddy-style friendship, which is good to see. In particular how the second time she essentially leaves the question kind of open ended in a tone that is not exactly a question, like saying am I barely wrong or am I right. (there, with no end question mark)

See? It works! :D

I don't know if it's just me, but the first time you introduced D&P, before naming them, I had trouble recognizing them. At first I thought the first Pokémon was Suicune (what with the blueish and the crown, it was the first thing I thought), until you referenced the... well... pink, in Palkia. Then I realized it was them. Note to self: read descriptions more carefully. I think of Palkia as a dull gray kind of thing, don't know why.

The flashbacks thing is turning out pretty good, with more and more exploration. Although shorter in extension than the previous ones, I feel each new flashback that we see targets a closer perception of danger. This time the basic idea of the "can't someone else?" that logically should plague all ten‑year‑olds-with-a‑LV5‑Pikachu when they are sent away to save the world from Team Blank and Legendary Trio PiDeltaGamma.
    Projecting the fear on April, the mother, is always a nice touch, as this is for now the primary means of learning about her personality (and Raymond' history).
    But, that said, I found a bit disturbing that she was so quick and, um, sparse? or numble? way... I'm having trouble finding the right word. What I'm trying to say is that, given the flashback and all, the mood she projects by accepting a mussion like, so, is very hollow. It's as if she has been taken completely off-guard (which she has) and willingly shuts herself into just following the drift and seeing what happens.
    I guess that would be explored later. I just wanted to make a point of how it reads like.

Other that that I have not much to say (no grammar or plot issues that I can clearly see).

Just in case I haven't said it before, I liked the chapter and I expect you to write morar keep working on it.

"Oh, yeah, it hasn't happened yet... Forget the whole thing, will you?..."
    I'm trying not to :D

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • A lot of things happen in this chapter, and the story is really starting to move... Here we have Chapter 7, beta'd by bobandbill, and this time with a suprise ending!

Chapter 7 - Things You Hear When It's Already Too Late

Salt City was a big and impressive place between the two high mountains of Voitto. The city had originally grown from a rock salt mine. First, it had only been a simple mining village, but when other useful minerals were found, the city grew to be the biggest metropolitan area in the whole Voitto region. It was hard to reach, so many tunnels had been dug to gain better access to the city. Several trains operated the route between Salt City and the towns closest to it. It was a truly important city, because all the important offices and the biggest hospitals as well as the Central Bureau of Police were situated there. Moreover, there were two gyms in Salt City: the Sea Salt Gym and the Rock Salt Gym, and their gym leaders used water pokémon and rock pokémon, respectively.

I knew this because we had heard it in school so many times. What they never told us was that also the headquarters of Legendary League was in Salt City. Heck, they never even told us there was a thing like the Legendary League. No-one had ever told us it was dangerous to go around telling people you've met a legendary pokémon. No-one had ever told us how dangerous the world can be. No-one had ever told me or Mari why our parents had died.

But now, on our way to Salt City, we finally found out what exactly was going on in our region. Dialga, as intimidating as she looked, proved to be quite friendly. She was kind enough to share her knowledge of the Legendary League with me and Mari. It would be good for us to know what we're going up against, she said to us, and started explaining.

"Actually, the story of how Legendary League came to be is quite funny," she told us. "You see, there was a man called Ackland, who was a very, very competitive architect. He was also very good in his profession, so he was soon rich enough to start his own business. This company of his was called 'Ackland League', and they designed many of the big Gyms around this area. He also-"

"That fire Gym, too?" interrupted Mari.

"Yeah, that too. Why do you ask?" Dialga answered without even a hint of irritation in her voice.

"Nothing much," Mari explained, "I just thought that Gym was really cool. It would be awesome to be able to design buildings like that."

"He was skilled, as I told you," Dialga said, pondering. "Personally, I prefer the Gyms of Salt City. They've really put some effort into those. I rarely get to go and see them, though."

"Why's that?" I asked her. "I mean, you're Dialga! Who can possibly stop you?"

"I don't like being very close to people," Dialga said awkwardly. "They always go nuts and start throwing their pokémon and all sorts of balls at me. It's tiring, I tell you. Those pokéballs are really quite hard, you know! It's not like it doesn't hurt because I'm a legendary-"

"And here I thought you were telling an important story to the children," Palkia snorted arrogantly to Dialga. "Want me to tell it? Clearly, you're not collected enough to do so."

"Oh, shut up! I'm telling it!" Dialga answered him, this time with a voice full of irritation. "Ackland had a son who then inherited the business. This son, just as his sons, was brought up to be very competitive and business-minded. They did all in their power to make more money and sell new products. When it was time for the grandsons of Mr. Ackland to inherit the business, it was about everything else but architecture. However, the older brother, Brice, was an architect, so he wanted the company to start designing buildings again when he inherited it. His father did not approve of this, so the company was succeeded by the younger-"

"Why wouldn't he approve of that? Wasn't he an architect, too?" Mari asked, again interrupting Dialga's story.

"Let Dialga tell the story!" I snapped at her. How did she even dare to interrupt someone who looked as intimidating as Dialga? I wouldn't have had the courage to do something like that. Then again, Mari had always been the braver - and the way more arrogant - one of us.

"No, no, that's actually a good question," Dialga said with a mischievous smile on her scary face. It was really creepy. "You see, he was a really lousy architect. He had no talent at all and he couldn't stand it. That's why he didn't approve."

"I still don't get it," Mari argued.

"Well, then, don't ask in the first place," I mumbled to myself. I wanted to hear the story so I knew what was waiting for me in the past. This was an important adventure and most likely it would later make me a hero, and I was annoyed by Mari's constant interruptions. I stared at her, trying to look as irritated as possible. She winced at me.

"Anyway, this was when Brice heard about the abilities of legendary pokémon," Dialga continued to stop our beginning quarrel. "He figured that these abilities could be used in architecture, especially those of Palkia. Thus, he founded the Legendary League to research the possible uses of legendary pokémon in business. He started to collect information, first with friendly questions. When years passed, he became more and more bitter: his little brother was doing well and Ackland League prospered. His own company, however, would make no profit at-"

"Is that why he killed that friend? To get information?" Mari asked.

"For crying out loud, Mari!" I yelled at her, although this time I wanted to hear the answer, too.

"Yes. He also killed the daughter of that friend," Palkia answered.

"What? He killed a kid?" Mari was shocked.

"Hey, they tried to kill me, too," I reminded her.

"Oh," she just said. Her face was a bit pale when she turned to look at me. Her big, grey eyes stared in my brown ones. I knew her well enough to tell what she was thinking. She was scared. Just like Mom, she was actually scared. That stopped my train fo thought for a moment, as I reconsidered the whole thing.

I had just learned that these people had killed my father. He had not died in a casual accident, but he had been murdered, on purpose. He had known something important and for that, he had been killed. The woman at the Gym had also tried to kill me. This whole ordeal wasn't a joke; it wasn't something to think lightly of. But I knew that nothing would happen to us. In the back of my head, I simply knew that everything was going to end well. Neither me nor Mari would die, but we would save legendary pokémon and be heroes like my dad and her mom. We would be great trainers. We'd save the world and become Pokémon Masters, just like planned - maybe our heroic deeds would even grant that title for us without any further effort. Everything would be perfectly fine. After all, children can't die, right? So, I smiled to her soothingly. After a while, she smiled to me, too.

"Ah, we seem to have arrived", Palkia said and stopped.

"What a sharp discovery! You're truly the Guardian of Space, Palkia," Dialga yelped with unnecessary amounts of scorn in her voice.

"Don't start that!" Mew warned, as she transformed into Lilian with one pink "poof".

"Whoa," I breathed in awe when I saw the city.

I had known that Salt City was big, but I had never imagined it could be so insanely humongous. From the slope where we stood, we could see an endless sea of buildings, roads, people and pokémon that faded into the grey distance. The city didn't seem to end at all. The buildings around the middle were really high; the skyscrapers had to be at least a hundred floors tall. They looked like needles or towers that stood in the middle of the city and glittered in the mid-day sun. Some kind of smoke or dust floated about the endless city. Yet, we knew the city couldn't possibly be endless, because it was built in this bowl-shaped valley. It simply had nowhere to continue, yet it looked like it had no borders. I was simply stunned by the size of the city.

"How many people and pokémon must live there!" Mari gasped next to me.

"How do you get around there? Do you have to ride your pokémon?" I asked out loud.

"How did they build those tall buildings?" she asked in her turn.

"What is that smoke?" I pondered.

"Where are the Gyms?" we both asked simultaneously as we turned around to look at Dialga and Palkia. We were surprised to see the two intimidating legendary pokémon had disappeared.

"They went to their own dimension to watch over us," Lilian said with an amused look on her face.

Mom stood behind her, looking very anxious. "Should we go there? I mean, isn't it a bit dangerous?" She looked down at the city and seemed very reluctant to go.

"We have to," said Mari. "Don't you remember? Dialga can't teleport, so we have to be inside the city to go to past."

Both Mom and I looked at Mari with great surprise.

"Yes, that's true," Lilian said laughing. "Let's get going, then!"

We soon found out that in a big city like that, people moved around with things called Shuttles. The Shuttles were long, tube-shaped vehicles with wheels underneath them, so looked a bit like trains, but they needed neither rails nor wires to move. They stopped on specific places called Shuttle Stops that were marked on a map Lilian gave me. It was very exciting to ride a Shuttle, because they were fast as local trains but they drove around in the city. Sometimes they dove into tunnels built under or through the buildings. It was really a thrilling ride, but then Mari noticed something even more thrilling.

"Charlie," she whispered, "the next stop is called Rock Salt Gym Shuttle Stop."

"Yeah?" I whispered back. "Too bad we aren't supposed to go to the Gym now."

"Lilian is sitting in the front with Aunt April, because she's feeling nauseous," Mari smirked.

"You mean we should go there without their permission?" I was shocked. Only the mischievous brain of Mari could come up with something this... brilliant. I agreed right away.

When the Shuttle stopped, we both stood up and got out of the vehicle.

"We need to let them know where we are," I said. "This is a big city, you know. If we get lost..."

"I'll take care of it," Mari giggled and ran to the window closest to Mom and Lilian. She smiled at them and waved as the Shuttle left the stop. She then came chuckling back to me. "They saw me, Charlie. We have to hurry or we won't have time for two gym battles!"

We started to run towards the building that was undoubtedly the Rocksalt Gym. It was a huge dome topped with giant red and grey boulders. The roof was supported by tall pillars that were coated with pebbles, sparkling in all imaginable colours. It looked rather beautiful. Rough but beautiful. I could see why Dialga liked this building.

The door slid open before us and we ran in. Much to our surprise, there was a reception table right next to the door. We stopped, suddenly confused about what to do. A young woman with red hair stood sat behind the desk and smiled at us. She was apparently the receptionist.

"Uh, do we need to get some permission before we can come here?" I asked the receptionist, as she didn't look like she was about to help us if I didn't ask.

"Oh, no," she answered without even the slightest change in her expression. "You see, we get so many challengers here that we have hired seven Gym leaders. My job is to direct you to the one that is available or has the shortest queue."

"Oh, all right," I said, trying not to sound too dumbfounded. I had not realized this city was so insanely huge that one of it's two Gyms needed seven Gym leaders. If the Sea Salt Gym was as big as this one, this city had fourteen leaders altogether. The thought made me shudder. I really had not realized there could be so many trainers in one place that a Gym would need several leaders. There were a lot of people living in this city. I wondered how they chose all of those leaders.

"Let's see now. What are your names? Are you in the same group or do you wish to battle separately?"

"Um, so, my name is Jack Killigan, and this is Mari Itaka," I told her.

"And we wish to see each other's battles, please!" Mari added.

A strange expression crossed the face of the receptionist when she entered our names on her computer. It passed so quickly, though, that I wasn't sure if it even was there. I looked at Mari to get my doubts confirmed, but she apparently had seen nothing. I relaxed. I told myself I was being paranoid.

"So," the receptionist said, "you're lucky to have come around this time of day, as we aren't very busy now. We have one Gym leader available immediately. If you please, go to Battle Hall Six."

"Uh, one more thing, miss," Mari said. "We wish to be alone during this battle, so if someone comes looking for us, please tell them to wait, okay?"

"Surely I will, Miss Itaka," she answered with the exact same stupid smile she had had plastered on her face this whole time. "You don't have to worry about that." There it was again. The weird expression appeared for a second time.

This time, Mari saw it too. She looked at me.

"Can we take our pokémon already out of their balls?" I asked the receptionist girl. "I wish to have a discussion about strategy with them."

"Sure," she said. "As you please."

We turned around and started making our way to Battle Hall Six. I resisted the urge to look back at the receptionist. Mari didn't, however, as peered at the receptionist right before the next sliding door close behind us.

"She's scary," she whispered. "Suddenly, this doesn't feel like such a great idea after all."

"Yeah," I answered and grabbed my pokéballs. "We better let our pokémon out."

"I think she had killed someone happy, cut off their smile and plastered it to her own face", Mari said while grabbing her pokéballs. She shivered. "Eww."

"You're sick and gross, Mari," I told her and threw the pokéballs that contained Piyon and Shin.

"I know," she answered and threw the ball of Fanny the chimchar.

The three Pokémon appeared and my piplup and shinx looked at me with anticipation on their cute faces. My expression, however, got them worried almost instantly. They hadn't been called out for a battle, nor for a party. They could sense something was wrong. Shin snorted and looked away from me. Piyon stared at my face pleadingly, trying to get me to tell him what was the matter.

"We might be in danger," I whispered to them.

Shin looked at me again. 'What got you into trouble?', her eyes asked me, filled with malicious joy. I knew she didn't like me yet, but I also knew she was going to like me. Why else would she stay with me? Moreover, pokémon always like their trainers. It's like a law of nature.

"Are you Killigan and Itaka?" asked a voice behind us.

We turned around in a hurry, but I relaxed when I saw the middle-aged, spectacled woman who had spoken. She smiled at us.

"Well, yes," I said and my pokémon came next to me.

"Ah, I see. You should be getting to the sixth Battle Hall, shouldn't you?" she said smiling. Again, that horrible, plastered smile. Even ten-year-old kids like us could tell that wasn't a real smile. It was the same stupid, cold and emotionless smile the receptionist had had.

"Yeah, we should." Mari answered awkwardly. "We were just having a strategy meeting with our pokémon-"

"An electric type isn't a very fine choice for this gym, you know," the woman told me with no change in her cold expression. "You're not as bright as we anticipated, young man."

"Excuse me?" I said. What was going on?

"You should make your way to the Battle Hall, children," the lady said. "Quickly now! It's a lot better place to battle than this is." She had a pokéball in her hand. The creepy smile didn't falter at all.

"Charlie, I don't like this," Mari said and took a step back. "We shouldn't have come here. We shouldn't have told our real names!"

"Mari, I-" I was interrupted when the lady threw her pokéball. I took several steps backwards and watched as the graveler appeared. The graveler was so bulky I could tell it was a rock pokémon without having to take out my Pokédex. He had a creepy smile on his stone grey face, just like the one his trainer was showing. I didn't like the situation at all, so I accepted her challenge for a battle. I glanced at Piyon and pointed at the graveler. "Okay then, I choose you, Piyon! Use-"

"This is not a battle, sonny," the lady said, still smiling. "I'm taking you captive. If that piplup does anything, I'll have my good friend graveler here break its neck."

"But... What..." Mari was breathless.

Suddenly a familiar voice sounded. "Idiots!" it yelled with a voice I couldn't recognize right away. Something appeared between Mari and I, surrounded us with a field of some sort and let out an intimidating cry. When the cry faded out, the lady was no longer there. The black field that had captivated us exploded in a faint pulse. That was when I realized who had saved us.

I faced our savior. "Palkia", I breathed. My heart was beating so hard I feared it would malfunction. I could hear my blood rushing through my veins. My hands were trembling.

"Idiots," he simply repeated.

"For once, I agree with you, Palkia," said the female voice of Dialga. They both sounded very disappointed.

"Where are we? Are we out of town again?" Mari asked with a trembling voice. She seemed to be just as upset as I was, but she was still looking around. I decided to see where we had come, too. The place seemed like a normal apartement. So, the ceiling wasn't quite high enough for Dialga and her metal crest. You could see scratches all over the paint of the ceiling. Palkia was also crouching so that he could fit in. Other than these quite comical images, the place was just a plain, white-walled, unfurnished city apartment with two bedrooms and an open kitchen.

"No, we're in an apartment owned by PFFP," Dialga explained.

"And you're idiots," Palkia noted.

"Yes, thank you, we all know that already!" Dialga was getting irritated again.

"Do you happen to have any idea how stupid that was?" Palkia asked me and Mari. "We've been protecting you from those people for all your life, but of course they still know your names. They know you're the children of Kotoko and Raymond. They know you're dangerous. You have no idea what they could have done to you. Also, now they know we're up to something, so thank you, Mari and Jack, thank you very much."

I felt ashamed. Little did I know that this was only the tip of the iceberg.

"The Legendary League has no authority in Parcel Town," Dialga told us, "but that's one of the few free places in this region. For years and years, all Legendary League members have known your names and had the orders to take you captive if they ever spot you outside Parcel Town. You have no idea how important your parent's job was to us - and to them."

"Of course we wouldn't have any idea!" Mari answered. "No-one ever told us, so how could we know that? I know practically nothing of my mom's work. I know what she looked like and that she was a scientist, but that's practically all I know. Aunt April and dad never tell me anything. How were we supposed to know?"

Dialga looked at her in silence for a while, before she resumed. "She was studying the genes of legendary pokémon with Raymond and their research team. Their objective was to prove that normal pokémon and legendary pokémon are practically the same thing. Along the course, they started to notice they were wrong. We are quite different from Piyon and Fanny here." Dialga nodded towards our pokémon. "But their professor thought they could force a hybrid DNA. That's when we went in and told them about the balance - you know, how we legendaries all have our designated jobs and no-one should interfere with that - and they understood it completely."

"I still find it funny that you use the word 'legendary'," Palkia said.

"It's a good word. I like it!" Dialga answered. "Yes, Kotoko and Raymond and everyone in their team understood what we told them. But they seemed disappointed. We had taken their research from them. Then, we came up with a plan. What if they were to prove that a hybrid cannot be made? We didn't believe it was even possible. In fact, we knew it wasn't possible, but no-one had scientifically proven it yet. If someone would prove it, it might get some people off our backs."

"But, you know, Raymond and Kotoko came up with a better idea!" Palkia told. "One member of their research team worked for the company who makes pokéballs. As you know, pokéballs can't capture humans. Why? Because they only accept the genetic structure of a pokémon. Now, Kotoko suggested that they could try to find the distinctive legendary gene that all us legendaries and only us legendaries have. Raymond had the skill to find it, and that colleague of theirs had the power to get into the pokéball company and change the code of manufactured balls so that legendaries simply cannot be captured."

"That's genius!" Mari and I yelled.

"It was," Dialga said with a sad smile - at least I think it was a sad smile; you couldn't be sure of that face of hers - and sighed. "But they never did it. Just when Raymond had found something that could have been the legendary gene, Legendary League attacked. They died that night and never finished their research."

"We have another research team working on that gene," Palkia continued. "So far, they've found the same gene Raymond found, but it wasn't the right one. They'll do it, I'm sure of it, and it's all thanks to Kotoko and Raymond and their research notes that didn't get lost or destroyed."

I stared at Dialga and Palkia without much of an expression on my face. My father had most apparently been a good man. I regretted not remembering him, but then again, it wasn't my fault. It was the Legendary League's fault. All their fault. And I hated them for it.

"Can you tell me more about my fath-" I began.

I was interrupted by a pink explosion and a voice so loud it nearly made us go deaf." Jack Killigan and Mari Itaka! What the hell did you think you were doing?" yelled the very, very angry voice of my mother. "I came to this city, even though I loathe it and those stupid Shuttles, just so I could protect you. And you idiots run off to the nest of the enemy! I refuse to believe my kids are so unthankful and stupid!"

"Calm down, April," Mew tried to soothe her. "They're just kids, you know."

"Yes, they are! That's precisely my point! Kids can't run off alone; they need someone to supervise..." Her voice faded and she covered her face, most probably to cover her teary eyes.

I had never felt so bad before and I don't believe Mari had, either. We had really let Mom down this time. She was really angry, but that was for a reason. She had probably been scared out of her mind when she saw me and Mari standing on the stop and waving. Blanca was also terribly mad, as she just went to a corner and didn't even look at me. That made it all even worse. Blanca was usually never mad at me. She was only mad at Mari. Now she seemed to hate me.

"I'm sorry, Mom, we didn't think it quite through, and..." I started, but my voice faded.

"Yeah, we're sorry, Aunt April! And it was my idea anyway, so... Charlie agreed, though, so I don't know if it's my fault, and..." Mari's voice faded, too.

"No, no," she said, shook her head and looked strictly at us. "In a way, this was a good thing. You're safe now, so no harm was done, and now I know you two cannot be trusted. A good thing I found it out now and not later." She turned towards Dialga and Palkia. "I want to destroy this organization. We will help you get rid of it. I won't let anyone threaten my kids ever again."

I looked at her in awe and she glanced at me. Her angry eyes scared my proud smile away.

"I will go to the past with Dialga," she said, "but the kids stay here. I won't expose them to something this dangerous. I will do it, but they will wait here."

"No! This is not fair, Mom, I-" I started to rebel.

"Jack." She looked at me and I knew she was angrier than ever before. "We're not discussing this. You and Mari stay here. You understand?"

It was rare that she was this determined, but even she got like this sometimes. Like when she prohibited me from fixing the roof when I was eight, even though the thing wouldn't stop leaking. For the time being, we moved to Mari's house and she locked me in while she fixed the roof herself. I didn't want to be locked up again. With tears in my eyes, I agreed. "I understand."

"Good," she said and smiled to me. Then she turned back to Dialga. "Shall we go?"

Again, my grand adventure was slipping away from me. My mother was taking away my chance to avenge my dad and beat the bad guys. My dream was ruined again. This time, though, it was entirely my own fault. I had no-one to blame but myself, and that was definitely the worst part about it.

Blanca glanced at me from her corner. I started crying.

*Sniff* First chapter in ages without any flashbacks of Raymond! Don't worry, though, he'll be back in the next chapter...

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Phew! My vacation has finally started and I'm healthy again, so I can focus on writing. I hope everyone hasn't abandoned Mama's Boy yet! My thanksies to bobandbill who, again, betaed the chapter despite me being unresponsive and all. Thanks! It would be a lot worse if it weren't for you, bobandbill!

All kinds of feedback is gladly accepted.

This time we have more Raymond! I love him a lot =D It was fun to write this chapter, so I hope it's also fun to read.

Chapter 8 - Hero

Mom was going through the mission with Dialga, Palkia, Blanca and Mew. I tried to hear what they were saying, but even in this small, abandoned apartment they had found a place that was almost completely soundproof. I couldn't hear anything. I guess that was what they wanted to happen. If I didn't hear what was going on, I couldn't take part in it. Mari, Piyon, Shin and Fanny were watching me. Mari's expression was an unfrequent one, as she was, for once, sad and disappointed. I could honestly remember only two times she had been disappointed, and both of those times had been when her father couldn't come back or do something because of his job. This was the first time I had ever been even a part of the reason for her face to look so sad, and it made me feel even worse.

"Stop it, Jack," she said quietly. "Come here and sit with us."

I looked at her. "Why'd you call me 'Jack' all of a sudden?"

She shrugged and looked away from me. "I didn't want to annoy you. You're always saying how annoying it is when I call you Charlie. It felt weird to say 'Jack', though."

"Then call me Charlie," I mumbled. "You're the only one allowed to call me that, so you should take advantage of that right. Besides, it feels weird for me, too."

"Okay, then, Charlie," she said and smiled faintly. "Charlie is better."

I didn't say anything. I sat down next to her and my pokémon and hugged my knees.

"That posture is a sign of depression, you know," Mari told me.

"What do you expect me to be? Why can't I be depressed? Mom has taken away my adventure at least twice now. Is she going to keep doing that until I die?" I was starting to feel devastated. I knew Mom wasn't doing it to tease me, but I had a hard time keeping that thought away from my head. I just couldn't shake the feeling that she was doing it on purpose.

"I figure she's doing that so you wouldn't die. I have to admit, Charlie, I found it really weird that she came with us on our journey. When I told about it to Daddy, he was relieved. He said he might have fetched me home otherwise. I think... I think they're really scared." Mari looked at me, and she was clearly very serious. She seemed to have thought about this before.

"Of course I know that. I mean, my dad and your mom got killed, so we're the only ones they have left. But why can't they realize that we're us, and we're not going to die? We're only ten years old! I understand they're scared, but they should understand... That you're not your mom and I'm not my dad." My voice had gotten pretty loud and I was almost crying again. I don't think I have ever been that disappointed. Moreover, I was very mad at myself, because it was obviously my fault. If we had been more patient, Mom wouldn't have gotten so angry and would have taken us with her to the past.

"Charlie, you idiot, that's not it. They know this is dangerous and that we're still very you-"

Mari was interrupted when the door opened and Mom came back with the legendaries. She wasn't looking so sure about herself anymore. She had started to look more like her usual self: a bit confused but still very stubborn about her own ways. I also noticed that she had modified her ridiculous "teenage trainer" outfit so that it looked a lot more mature. Her skirt was notably longer, for example. I didn't want to look at her, so I turned my head away. Despite my efforts to hold back, a tear rolled down my cheek. Piyon noticed it and leaned to me, so I patted his head. Mom came and sat down next to me and Mari.

"Look," she said to us. I was cereful not to look at her. "Jack, Mari, I know you're mad at me for not letting you go on this mission. Consider it a punishment for your idiotic stunt back there. You could have been killed, you hear me? I would take you with me, but I don't feel like I can trust you two right now. Can you understand that?"

"Yeah," Mari mumbled. She was getting teary-eyed as well.

"I'm just very mad at you right now," Mom continued. "That's because I love you so very, very much. Do you have any idea how scared I was-"

"Aunt April, we're sorry!" Mari screamed all of a sudden. "We were stupid and we're sorry. But we wouldn't have done it if we had gotten to do the things we wanted to do before! You know, you left us at the first Gym and you never got us any ice cream like you promised. And after that, it's only been rules and porridge!"

"She's right, Mom," I agreed. "You've made our journey feel like we never even left home. We don't get to do anything fun!"

For a while, she just stared blankly at us. Then, she turned her face away from us. "What would you have done if you were me?"

"I don't... I don't know," Mari said, sounding a bit frustrated. "You know, just because we're kids doesn't have to mean that we don't get to decide anything for ourselves."

"Sometimes it feels as if you're trying to take all exciting stuff away from us, Mom," I told her. "As if you were doing it on purpose."

Suddenly, she laughed and looked at us with her usual not-quite-there expression. "You know, I think you are right. Maybe I have tried to protect you too much. I've been too scared and thus unknowingly put you two through some hard times." She patted both our heads and smiled at us. "I'm sorry, Mari and Jack. When I come back, I promise we'll go and get that ice cream and I'll watch all your Gym battles. Also, I guess we could go into a restaurant and eat something else than porridge for a change. Does that sound better?"

"You're still not letting us go with you?" I asked her, cautiously.

"No." She shook her head slowly. "If I'd take my punishment back now, you would never learn. This one time, I'll go without you. But I promise that I'll never leave you out of adventures again. You know as well as I do that this isn't the last time PFFP is going to need the help of humans. So, when they need us next time, maybe I'll be the one to stay behind. I know nothing about stuff like this, anyway!" She laughed again and then spread her hands, waiting for us to come closer and hug her. "Do we have a deal, kids?"

I looked at Mari and she looked at me. Then, we smiled. "Deal," we said and hugged Mom.

"Let's hurry, April," Dialga said, shaking her head impatiently. "The sooner we get this over with, the sooner we can start organizing the future operations for PFFP."

"I know," Mom mumbled, squeezing Mari and me tightly tightly to her chest. Luckily it lasted for only a few seconds, because we would have suffocated otherwise.

"Uhh," Mari breathed, "Were you trying to kill us, Aunt April?"

"Of course not," Mom said, as if she hadn't realized it was a joke. "So, uh, to what time are we going again?"

"For crying out loud, April, we've told you a million times!" Mew cried. "I'm starting to think it was a bad idea to ask you guys to do this..."

I covered my face. That was my mother, all right. I started to get worried about her, not to mention the mission. How could she, of all people, manage to save all the legendary pokémon? We had no other option than to simply to trust her, because she had to succeed.

Mom climbed to Dialga's back, which proved to be quite a task for her with all the metal spikes pointing from the pokémon's neck and shoulders.

"What are you, anyway? A spike type?" Mom asked her, causing the pokémon to roll her eyes.

"Yeah," she answered. "I'm a spike type, all right. The only one there is."

"Really?" Mom asked, completely oblivious of the joke - again. "That must be coo-"

She was interrupted when Dialga formed a dark sphere around herself which then imploded. When she got to the end of her sentence, she was already in the past, so we never heard what she actually had to say.

To April, it looked like everyone else in the room had disappeared instead of her and Dialga. The light of the setting sun made the room a bit dim and reddish, just as it had been in her own time. She slid down from the pokémon's back and walked to the window.

"Wow, this city has grown quite a lot in the past few decades," she said.

"Cities of Voitto seem to do that," Dialga replied. "It must be because of all the immigrants."

April glanced at Dialga. "Immigrants..?" Then she shook her head. "More importantly, shouldn't we get going?"

"You should, yes," Dialga answered with a strict tone. "There's a disguise for you in the top drawer, complete with an entry pass to Legendary League's building. The company was founded only five years or so ago, so they shouldn't have much security yet. They have only just begun their illegal deeds. This is the day after the day the company killed the childhood friend of Brice Ackland... Anthea Burroughs."

"Burroughs... Why is that name so familiar?" April pondered out loud while taking out her disguise.

Dialga didn't answer, so April presumed that she didn't think the name was familiar at all. The woman then started to put on the disguise: a long-haired wig; a long, white coat like the one Raymond used to wear to work; a name tag with the picture of a long-haired, spectacled woman in it; and a pair of eyeglasses. April looked at the picture.

"The woman in this picture is me. How is this possible?" she asked and turned to Dialga.

Dialga grinned playfully. "I'm the Guardian of Time, am I not? I came here after this mission to bring that ID card with a manipulated picture of you. Control over time is not simple, but it sure is convenient."

April stared at her, looking like she had a million questions to ask. Somehow she managed to beat the urge to ask those questions. Instead, she attached the ID card to her pocket and walked to the door.

"I'll be back sooner or later," she promised while opening the door.

"Yeah, you'd better be," Dialga said earnestly. "Otherwise I'll have to tell one orphan some very bad news."

"You won't have to," April replied with a very determined expression on her face. "You won't have to." Then, she closed the door behind her.

Dialga stared at the door for few fleeting seconds and then disappeared in one black explosion.

Finding the Legendary League building was fairly easy. It was only a few blocks away from the apartment - which probably wasn't a coincidence - and it had the words Legendary League painted to its plain concrete facade. With only three floors, it wasn't very intimidating or impressive. It also seemed to be almost empty, as there were lights in only one of the rooms that had windows, yet April was still absolutely horrified. Her hands shook when she took her entry pass and slid it through the reader. After a second that felt like an eternity to her, the reader blinked a green light and the lock on the door in front of her let a little sound. Still trembling, she grabbed the handle and pulled the door open. Lights went on in the corridor behind the door. She took a deep breath and stepped in.

She arrived to the elevator door - although it seemed stupid to have an elevator in a three-storey building to her - and the floor chart next to it told her that Ackland's office was in the top floor. She deducted that it would be the place to start looking and pressed the elevator button.

If she had been ten years younger, she might have enjoyed doing something so adventurous and exciting. Now all she could think was her incredibly fast and loud hearbeat that was - in her opinion - probably audible to anyone in the building and that if something was to happen to her, Jack would be orphaned. Then she almost had a heart attack when the elevator arrived and let a little sound to notify her of its arrival. The door slid open and revealed the empty elevator. Soothing music playing in the elevator lured April in before she even had the time to think.

The third floor was dark and abandoned. April let out a relieved sigh and turned the lights on. Ackland's door was easy to spot, as it had his name and the words "NO ENTRY" on it. Much to April's surprise, the door was also unlocked - she believed Dialga had something to do with it - so she gently pushed the door open and stepped in.

Ackland's office was really nice: the floor was covered with a soft carpet, the furniture was very tasteful and there were even some stylish works of art on the walls. Compared to the rest of the building, it was really extravagant, especially the expensive-looking sculpture on a pedestal around the middle of the room. April tiptoed to the desk and looked over it, but of course there were no evidence left carelessly lying on it. She snorted and turned to look for other places to put letters in the room. There was a wooden closet, but it was locked. April returned to the desk, getting slightly annoyed. Then, she noticed a small key under the calculator lying on the desk. She tried the key to one of the desk's drawers, and it opened. Inside, she found an envelope with the name Anthea Burroughs on it.

"You might as well have left it lying on the desk," April mumbled to herself. Suddenly she realized why the name Burroughs was so familiar. "Lilian," she whispered. Her curiosity took the better of her, so she slid the letter out of the envelope and read it quickly. It occurred to her that the letter wasn't going to be enough evidence for the police. Getting paniced, she started to dig through the drawer. All she found was letters to completely unrelated people. She was getting desperate when her fingers came upon a much thicker envelope with Ackland's name on it. Inside the envelope, there was a photo of a woman. April looked at the photo and suddenly realized what was in it.

"Oh my," she let out a yelp and almost dropped the envelope. She didn't drop the envelope, but she did drop a paperweight that had been on the corner of the desk. It rolled on the carpet and hit the door. Luckily the carpet made it almost completely silent. After a few seconds of relievement, April was almost scared to death by the alarm going off.

"Crap," she screamed and stormed out of the room.

When she appeared back, it was already night. Long-haired, spectacled April came trough the door, looking exhausted.

"They sure made me run," she panted. "But it went pretty well."

"Did you get the letter?" Dialga asked her, eagerly.

"Of course I got the letter!" April answered, smiling. "It was a breeze, really. There was no-one there because it was apready past their closing time. I might as well have had the kids with me, it wasn't dangerous at all. I got the letter and a few other things, too." She put both her hands in her pockets and took out the things inside. "I have here... Ah. Here's the letter, written for Ms. Anthea Burroughs as an apology. However, reading through it, I realized that it wasn't going to be enough proof for the police. So, I got this, too." She lifted a paper with only two fingers, like it was something smelly and disgusting. "It's an order, signed by Brice Ackland. It tells here to kill Ms. Burroughs if she doesn't tell what she knows about Mew. It also says here that 'all forms of torturing are also fully acceptable'."

"Wow, that's even better - or worse - than I expected," Dialga said.

"I know," April replied, "but it gets even better - or worse. The third piece of evidence I have here is a picture, submitted to Brice Ackland as proof that Anthea was killed. It's a picture of her dead body, it seems."

"Oh," Dialga only said.

"So, that's what I've got here," April concluded and put the papers back to her pocket. "After getting these, I accidentally knocked something down and the alarm went off. Some security men appeared with their malicious-looking pokémon and I ran here as fast as I could. They could have followed me, so we'd better get going."

"To your own time, then," Dialga said and started to get ready for another time trip.

"Umm... Dialga?" April asked with a cautious voice. "I have a request..."

Dialga turned to face her, surprised. "What might that request be? We're in a bit of a hurry here, so get on with it."

April looked at Dialga straight in her yellow, intimidating eyes. "I want to go somewhere before we go to my own time."

"You want to go to your husband," Dialga guessed.

"Well, yes," April admitted, "but I wouldn't say anything to him. You see, there was a security camera in their laboratory. After the explosion, the rescue team found the fireproof camera and its recorder, but there was no tape inside. Nobody really understood it, but they presumed that if there had been a bomb, the bomber had stolen the security video so that they wouldn't get caught. We already know that the bomber was Legendary League, so they should have that video."

"But, it would be too dangerous to go and steal the video from them at that time," Dialga concluded.

"I suppose so, yes," April agreed. "So, maybe we could steal the video before they do."

"Why do you want that video?" the pokémon asked her with a soothing voice.

"For Jack and Mari," the woman replied.

"I see," Dialga said. "We need Palkia's help for that, though. I'll go and fetch him."

"Thank you," April whispered, fighting against tears. It would be easy to get that video for Jack and Mari. Then, they could really see what Raymond and Kotoko had looked like. April wanted to teach her kids to love their deceased family members like she had loved. She wanted Mari to know her real mother, even though she herself had been the girl's mother for all these years. She wanted Jack to know his real father, even though Jushiro Itaka had been a good father to him. She wanted to finally let the kids know the truth. She took off her wig and hugged it tightly. A determined smile spread through her face and she smiled like she hadn't smiled in years.

Soon, Dialga appeared with Palkia, and their new mission began.

After we had waited for three seconds or so, Dialga reappeared to the room. She startled both me and Mari when she did so.

"Palkia, we need your help," she said to her brother - at least I think they are siblings - with a serious tone. "There's something we still need to do."

"Let's get going, then," Palkia answered. He seemed to instantly know what it was about.

In another black explosion, they were gone.

"I wonder if something went wrong?" Mari asked timidly.

"I don't think that's it," Mew said with her usual, carefree tone. "I think there's something April wanted to do after completing her mission."

"It took her only three seconds to do it?" I was dumbfounded.

"Of course not," Mew answered. "Dialga is the Guardian of Time, don't you remember? She's trying to make the waiting as short as she can for us. They should be all back any second now."

"Oh, yeah," I said. "I forgot something like that was possible."

We all stared at the place where Dialga and Palkia had disappeared. We kept on staring while minutes went on, barely even blinking so we wouldn't miss it this time. When ten minutes had passed, we stopped staring. The silence that had been full of anticipation was starting to get very anxious. Neither me nor Mari dared to say anything.

"Huh," Mew finally said, seeming very surprised. "Maybe there's some bump in time and they will return later."

"Bump in time?" Mari asked. "Are there really things like that?"

"How would I know?" Mew asked her back. "I've never traveled in time, as you all know. It's just that Dialga told me once that time is a lot like space. There are bumps in the ground, so you'd suppose there can be bumps in time."

"I wouldn't be so sure," Mari disagreed.

Then they were silent again, and we all focused on waiting.

April stared at a very familiar door. It was early evening and she could hear the voices of the working scientists inside. The Parcel Town Pokémon Research Laboratory. Raymond's office, so to say. Behind this door, April's long late husband was working, completely unaware of the fact he'd die a couple of hours later. April took a deep breath. Did she really want to meet Raymond? Could she really not tell him that he was going to die? Could she meet him without crying uncontrollably? She shook her head. No, she probably couldn't. Yet she still pushed the doorbell.

Before April could prepare herself mentally for the meeting, the door opened. A familiar face greeted her.

"Hello, April," Kotoko Itaka said, smiling. "I'll go and get Raymond. Has Mari behaved herself today?"

"Of course not," April answered. She was surprised of how happy she was to see Kotoko again. It wasn't quite as painful as she had thought. Kotoko smiled to her with the warm smile she always had on her face. Mari often smiled in a similar way, but April had never noticed this before.

Kotoko disappeared from the narrow hall. April held her breath. Then, Raymond appeared.

It was just the Raymond April had always remembered. The same dark red, messy hair, the same tanned skin, the same dark, playful eyes. "April! What brings you here? Is everything all right?"

"Yeah," April breathed. It had been so long since she had heard his voice, she had almost forgotten what it sounded like. "I just missed you so much."

Raymond looked a bit worried. "Are you sure you're okay? You look like you're nine years older or something."

How could he be so right? April couldn't help but to laugh out loud. "I really missed you a lot, you know. Will you be late today, again?"

"Yeah... Sorry about that," Raymond said, "But I really think we're getting closer to breakthrough! And I promise, after we're done with this, I'll take a long holiday and spend it with you and Jack."

April started to feel like crying, so she decided to change the subject. "Uh, so, anyway. The kids are restless, they want to see their parents already... So I thought I'd come over and loan the security camera tape for a while. Is that okay? Maybe it'd keep those rascals quiet for a while..."

"Oh!" The worried look disappeared from Raymond's face. "I guess that's alright. It's not like anything special ever happens here, anyway. Those kids can be quite a handful, so I guess it's okay. You have to return the tape before night, though."

"Of course, of course. It's only for a while."

Raymond disappeared to get the security tape for his wife. April stood outside in the cool air and listened while the research team chatted inside. They would all die in a few hours, never getting to finish their research or say goodbye to their families. April took a deep breath again.

"Here we go," Raymond said cheerfully and gave the tape to April. "That should keep them quiet for a while, huh?"

April hugged him and he squeezed her close to his body. The warmth, the smell, the feeling of Raymond's lab coat against her cheek... She had forgotten about all of them. She realized now that it had been a huge mistake to meet Raymond. She could have asked Kotoko to give her the security tape. She could have come during the night and took it herself. She could have forgotten about the whole thing. It would take her ages to get over Raymond's death again after seeing him so alive. "Goodbye, Raymond," she muttered and took the video tape.

"Yeah, bye," Raymond said cheerfully.

April walked to the other side of the building, where Dialga and Palkia were waiting for her under the lab's window.

"Did you get the tape?" Palkia asked before seeing the black object in April's hand. "Oh, okay."

April didn't say anything. She didn't really feel like saying anything. She felt like running back inside and dragging Raymond out of the building along with the whole research team. Rationally she knew that it wouldn't help; Raymond would still be killed very soon, but she couldn't help but to wish that she could help him. Her son deserved to know his father, and her daughter deserved to know her real mother. Raymond and Kotoko also deserved to know their children and watch them grow up like April had done.

"You again?" an angry voice sounded from inside the lab. "I told you a billion times, we're not going to share the details of our research yet!"

"Is is the Legendary Whatnot again?" This time it was Kotoko's voice.

"What Mew? No, we don't..." It was the angry voice again. "A bomb? Oh, come on! How could there possibly be a bomb in our lab? Are you insane?!"

April's eyes widened with panic.

We were all getting very worried. After another ten minutes, Mew started to transform into all kinds of pokémon and celebrities to amuse Mari and me and take our thoughts off the mission. We laughed at some of the things she did, but it was nervous laughter rather than the real thing.

When forty minutes had passed, I stood up. "What if something has happened to them?"

"Nothing has happened to them," said Blanca from her corner. It really surprised me, as I thought she had been sleeping this whole time. "April is with the two strongest legendary pokémon there are. Nothing will happen to her, Jack."

"Palkia was protecting dad too, right?" I disagreed. "And look what happened to him!"

Blanca stared at me. "I heard that he was elsewhere, doing some mission at the time. It's not like he could have been on guard all the time." She said it quietly and softly. "I have forgiven him, Jack. It wasn't his fault. It was an unlucky coincidence. He's perfectly capable of protecting April."

"Maybe so," I sighed. "I just hope everything goes all right."

After another minute, they finally came back. At that point, we had all stopped expecting them to appear any second, so we got startled - again. Mom was sitting on Dialga's back just like she had been when she left. This time, though, she seemed to be more flabby.

"What took you so long?" Mew asked. "I thought yo-"

"I didn't have time to aim for the right time of day. We have to get to a hospital right away." Dialga sounded very serious.

"What's wrong?" Mari asked.

I felt my heart stop. At that moment, Mom looked up to us. She was pale and sweaty and she smiled faintly. After a second or so, she fell from Dialga's back and hit the plastic-covered floor.

"Mom!" I screamed and ran to her. "What's wrong with her?"

"We went to the day your dad died and she mistook the time," Palkia explained. "But there's no time for explanations! We'll tell you later; now we have to get to a hospital!"

Mew transformed into Lilian and ran to Mom. When she lifted my mother's powerless body from the ground, I saw what was wrong. A piece of wood was pointing out of her abdomen. Her shirt was soaked blood and ripped from many other places, too: it seemed like the biggest wound wasn't the only one. Her skirt was also bloody, as was her other hand. I gasped for air and fell on my knees. Something had definitely gone wrong.

"Meet us at the central hospital," Mew said and vanished to a pink cloud with my Mom.

When the cloud dissolved, there was only a small puddle of blood on the floor to show that Mom had actually been there and that she had really been severely wounded. I sat there, gasping for air - my chest was tightening and breathing started to seem impossible. Mari sat next to me, just as powerless as I was. She was ashen, as probably was I.

"Let's get to the hospital," Dialga said, trying to calm us down. "I'm sure the doctors there can help her. It didn't look like it was very deep."

Oh, yes, it looked, I thought to myself. I was struggling with my words to get them out, as my lungs had seemed to stop functioning. Finally, I got the silent words out of my mouth. "Mom's not going to die."

"She won't die," Mari repeated my words, just a lot more loudly than me.

We both took a deep breath. Somehow, I found the presence of Mari very soothing at that moment. She had always been with me, and I had the feeling she would always stay that way. We were almost siblings, after all. The sound of her breathing made me realize I wasn't alone.

"Let's get going," Palkia said and offered us his paw.

"Yeah," Mari said.

We got up and held his paws when he teleported. Everything was dark for a while, and all I could feel was my insane heartbeat and Mari's breathing.

Back