• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Thundershock On a Rock pokemon actually hit? on Yellow

Torii

GX Trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2011
As the title describes after a long period of time using a thunder attack on pokemon yellow to a rock pokemon such as (Geodude) can actually effect them, I restarted pokemon yellow played it and to my surprise i used thundershock on brocks geodude and it did 1-2 damage i believe but the fact it actually hit, was surpising. Has this happened to anyone else Besides me? Im very curious to how it actually managed to hit.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
electric attacks hit rock pokemon for neutral damage. >_>

however, the example you gave with Geodude is rather curious...Geodude being half ground-type should be immune to electric attacks. XD

Torii

GX Trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2011
electric attacks hit rock pokemon for neutral damage. >_>

however, the example you gave with Geodude is rather curious...Geodude being half ground-type should be immune to electric attacks. XD
xD I know~ I was shocked when it hit (Lol bad Pun) It went~
Pikachu Uses Thunder Shock
Not very Effective...

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
My best guess is that it's a glitch in your Yellow version 'cause I've never heard of this happening before. :P

Torii

GX Trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2011
Seems like it~ I think its kinda cool now all i need to do it trade it to G/S/C then to F/L then migrate it to platinum~ then i'll have a better pikachu~

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
that's one cool glitch, you should be quite lucky to have a glitch that hit's ground type Pokemon with electric type attacks, consider yourself very lucky. But did you do something to the game for the game to get like that?

:t354:TG

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Since this is a thread about Yellow, which hey, is a color generation game, I'll move it there.

Le move;

Edit; About the Thundershock, though, that's a glitch I wish I had back when I first got Yellow. I lost the game before I even got past Brock because I decided not to read the battle log, so I had no idea that it had no effect.

Last edited:

Megaman765

Really wants shiny Porygon Z:3
Years
I never really understood why Electric attacks can hit rock types alone, that aren't paired with a ground typing. I always thought rock type alone was immune from electric attacks :/

Velvex the Øverlørd

The Apparition
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2013
Yeah Rock is just neutral to Electricity, however ground is not effected by it, and since Geodude is Rock/Ground, as someone said earlier, it must be a glitch in your game.

Tudj

HeartGold :P
Years
Well seeing as though in the anime that Ash attacked Brocks Geodude (with the aid of water) and as it is like a little anime hack, they probably made it happen, although I don't recall such a thing happening, as I used geodue on level 11 for a joke against Surge and Surge got beaten.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
yea, it doesnt seem to work in mine. thats why i caught a bunch of noobymon and trained them to defeat brock!

poliwrath10

Pokemon Dark World Owner
Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2010
is not a glich in pokemon fire red at pewter gym witth static i paralizate a geodude

Zetlian2-kinra

Yup, i make VIDEOS!! :D
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2009
Yeah, yellow has alot of anime crossovers...
level 8 pidgeotto in viridan forest much?
XD

ArcanineOod

DESU.
Years
I don't remember that happening on my Yellow, but then again it's been a long time since I've fought against Brock on Yellow.

Perhaps it is a glitch on the game, perhaps not. I'll try it out if I can bear to restart my Yellow... =3
Was Geodude part Ground Type back then? I seem to remember it only having gained its extra type after R/B/Y... I'm probably mistaken, though...
xX

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
is not a glich in pokemon fire red at pewter gym witth static i paralizate a geodude

Static works regardless of Pokemon typing.

As for the Yellow glitch, it certainly is curious. AFAIK, Geodude has been Rock/Ground for the entire series, so there is no reason why it should affect Geodude unless the coding was altered just for Yellow (so AIMING 4 TEH HORN and such would work).

Torii

GX Trainer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2011
that's one cool glitch, you should be quite lucky to have a glitch that hit's ground type Pokemon with electric type attacks, consider yourself very lucky. But did you do something to the game for the game to get like that?

:t354:TG
I haven't done anything with yellow i restarted got pikachu i accidentally hit thundershock instead of quick attack (Not paying attention) and it suprisingly hit~
(Btw i re-re-started the game and it hit brocks geodude and worked again, it also worked on his onix)

Years
I think this was put into the game as a refrence to the anime, kinda like the way Pikachu follows you. If I remember rightly, Thundershock hit rock types in the anime aswell so I'm pretty sure the only logical explanation is for them to re emulate that through the game.

*WishMaker*

- the guy over the wall
Years
Are you sure it did damage? It would make a lot more sense if it didn't.
Now, in RBY, there was a bug. A harmless bug. A bug that does no good. A bug that can explain why the message "It's not very effective..." comes up, even if it it is false. It is in spoilers, because it is a long theory.

Spoiler:

I do not claim the above text to be mine in any way. I give full credits to The Cave Of Dragonflies
HTML:
www.dragonflycave.com
for the explanation.

Back