• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion; VDome

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This was sparked by the c/q/f thread regarding the TDome. Basically, hear me out. This would... kinda just be one thread, or a few threads, depends, discussing mature things that OC can't handle. Nothing sexual, just... the discussions which generally get trolled in OC, like religion, etc. Dunno if you've noticed, but most of the issues come from members, as opposed to supporters/staff. It would kinda give people a reason to donate - and as a result, could give this forum a reason for existance. An exclusive thing...

And um, 13 year olds and so... well, I doubt they'd donate - as in parents, etc would be interested as to WHY. It'd be kinda like a downplayed version of the original TDome, just mature discussions rather than sexual ones.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    This was sparked by the c/q/f thread regarding the TDome. Basically, hear me out. This would... kinda just be one thread, or a few threads, depends, discussing mature things that OC can't handle. Nothing sexual, just... the discussions which generally get trolled in OC, like religion, etc. Dunno if you've noticed, but most of the issues come from members, as opposed to supporters/staff. It would kinda give people a reason to donate - and as a result, could give this forum a reason for existance. An exclusive thing...

And um, 13 year olds and so... well, I doubt they'd donate - as in parents, etc would be interested as to WHY. It'd be kinda like a downplayed version of the original TDome, just mature discussions rather than sexual ones.

With a cover charge?
    That would be a good way to up Supporters, but then again we already have this froum. Maybe just making the rules a little more relaxed in here?

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Well, I support this idea.

Theoretically we could enforce rules more easily in a mature discussion forum for supporters because there are probably no more than 500 of us. That being said, one single Supporter-Moderator could watch the section and keep things in check pretty well. It isn't as likely to turn into a flame-fest if there are less people who are able to see the section.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I donated when I was 13, Nica. But I was extremely mature for my age at that ti-- what am I saying?

Anyway, I support a section for mature discussions that Other Chat can't handle, but really there's nothing stopping some idiot from going in there and trolling there too.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Theoretically, yes this is indeed true.

However, it's very easy to ban such trolls from the section, and punish them accordingly. It'd be far more difficult if we let the entire member base see the section because there are so many active members. There can't be more than 500 supporters now, so yeah, that should be simple to moderate and keep clean. Additionally, we can verify ages like the days of old and restrict it to something like 16+

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Honestly, I don't support this. Having a mature discussion in a forum just because people donated isn't really the point of donating or having this forum. Also, some people do donate at 13.. I would know because I did. Finally, why does there have to be a 13 year old limit? I mean, some people who are well over 13 who are supporters have idiotic ideas and are really immature.. it's not about age physically but more about age in your head.

..how do you think the members would react that we were allowed to have it and others weren't? They would start moaning that it's unfair.. which they're right to do.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Life in general isn't 'fair'. XD

Mental age does indeed define maturity, however, there is simply no simple metric upon which we can measure that without knowing them first. Additionally, it's simple to weed out the idiots, and access to the V-Dome isn't a default perk, it's a perk you have to ask for and be verified that you're of the proper age.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    But, on this Pokemon forum, we try to keep things as 'fair' as possible. The fact that most people are of the "proper age" still doesn't mean that they can become idiots when they believe strongly in a discussion.. that's why we dont have those discussions in the first place.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Particularly, I don't care if it's 'fair' or not, the entire member base got the forum taken away long ago. Now it is prudent to not wish the incident to happen ever again, but in this case I feel that a forum like the T-Dome on a much more limited scale would indeed be 300% manageable and would cause zero harm. With that being said, the V-Dome can be a secret. No one has to know the place exists unless they're a supporter.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I agree with Serene on this case, because no matter the age and restrictions, it will go south. Like SPAMzilla on the dead Pokemon Epiphany, it was shut down because there were so many threads like...

'hi'

That it was ridiculious. They were warned to not do so, but they did, and it got shut down. I'm not saying people would make threads exactly about 'hi', but it was kind of an example. There would be a lot of pointless discussion, I would think.

Besides, humans are stubborn creatures, and if given the chance, they would break down on a thread if they were losing. Kind of like this:

Poster A: I believe in *Insert topic here* and here's why.
    Poster B: Well, I refute you, because of this.
    Poster A: Your 'facts' are wrong, I'm right. More evidence
    Poster B: No, yours are wrong, I know I'm right, and here's even more proof.
    Poster A: Those so-called facts are wrong!
    Poster B: No, yours are!

And it goes on from there. And sometimes, one side doesn't have facts, and sometimes, neither side does. My example did a quick breakdown, and it probably wasn't too good, but it still illustrates a point.

The reason why members are the ones to break down first, is because there are so many, and quite a few with radical changes in beliefs. Supporters and Staff can also have radical changes in beliefs, and with not as many people to back it up, debates can go sour, and quickly.

Or at least that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Sadly yes, this is the cycle of all such debates. However if a structure is enforced and moderators simply close threads that get nowhere fast then it wouldn't be a problem.

We could theoretically have the moderators act as coaches and let them decide when a topic has stagnated enough to be closed. It is not impossible to handle on such a small scale like it was when the T-Dome went down in flames.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
    Unless you had a mod specifically for the section, which you are probably implying, but for some reason I don't exactly think that, then the current staff have enough things on their plate. Unless they run a slow forum, which I can't give an example of, because I can't think of any. (Pokemon TCG?) Then they may not have much time to coach people. They have to take care of their own section, and they may not really feel like coaching people, in favor of using their time for themselves, such as their own posting and social things that take up time in of itself.

I know this post is probably pointless, and maybe wrong, but still. (Yeah, I don't even have enough confidence in my own debating abilities.)

Melody

Banned
    Years
    It wouldn't be difficult to find a new moderator for that specific section even if all the current moderators of slow sections didn't want the job. It's simply a matter of structure and limited access. If there aren't many debaters, it can't get out of hand as easily, especially if you have a moderator who is devoted to that section and upholding this structure of debating.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
    But it can still get out of hand. Even if there isn't as much people in the debate, it can still get pretty bad. I doubt a mod can be on 24/7 to keep things in check if a debate goes head up. The damage can still be done. Not as frequently, and as you said, it'd not be a likely chance, but it can still happen. At least that's how I see it. For all I know, it could go on swell, but my position still stands.

@Patchisou Yutohru: ... I don't think anyone here even knows. I thought it meant Supporter Dome, but that would be SDome.

EDIT: VIPDome? I think this could be it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Seems rather pointless to make another OC forum for supporters only. The VIP forums on their own are terribly inactive.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    What does VDome even mean?

Yeah, essentially VIP Dome is the intended name
    But it can still get out of hand. Even if there isn't as much people in the debate, it can still get pretty bad. I doubt a mod can be on 24/7 to keep things in check if a debate goes head up. The damage can still be done. Not as frequently, and as you said, it'd not be a likely chance, but it can still happen. At least that's how I see it. For all I know, it could go on swell, but my position still stands.

@Patchisou Yutohru: ... I don't think anyone here even knows. I thought it meant Supporter Dome, but that would be SDome.

EDIT: VIPDome? I think this could be it.

But my primary point remains that in the case of such a limited audience, minimal damage is possible. As long as each person who posts/reads this section understands that it's meant to be a calm, structured debate format discussion, I doubt many people will be able to blast it out to epic proportions like you see frequently with hotbed topics found in OC. Fewer debaters means that a topic will die more quickly, and there will be less instances of some nublet hopping into the topic just to get the brawl started again.

This idea is part of an initiative to get the VIP section some attention.

Zeta Sukuna

Years
    And for my final point, what unique discussions could we even discuss? Everything world be pretty much a carbon copy of the stuff in the Other Chat, since that seems to have become our new T-Dome. I'm not saying it's bad, but what purpose would it be? If you like to debate that stuff, you'd probably already have done so in the Other Chat.

It is kind of pointless to make another OC forum, really.

And again, people are different. They have different mindsets. They may not get that it's supposed to be a calm, serious discussion.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The TDome itself was an OC forum + sex and debates. Essentially, it's a forum filled with sex topics. Those were the only topics that succeeded in the forum, and those made up the majority of the forum's topics. The others were religion topics, which all were locked in the end, with a few debates thrown in there. Seems to me like just another OC forum. Like I said, making a supporter exclusive forum that's OC + sex, religion, and debates is pointless. Especially when the VIP forums themselves are inactive to begin with.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I never implied that the VDome had to have sexual discussions or Religious debates in it.

I meant serious topic debates. Politics, World Events, History, ect. Not just the garden variety type things that OC now houses, but more detailed and interesting debatable topics as a whole.

Back