• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen A Story...

Plot?

• Total voters

Guy

just a guy
Years
  • Yes, yes, exactly! :D I'd like my early run-ins with Team Generic but for the final showdown? Yeah, it'd be so damn awesome if they're all paranoid about the Champion showing up to send them packing and it turns out to be that Pesky Annoying Kid from way back in the beginning. :'D

I'm not a battler so the typical end-game "oh yeah okay whatever you can go to the battle frontier now" sort of thing doesn't really interest me. But extending the plot, even just a little bit, could be interesting.

I mean, it might take away from the "omg I beat the game and I'm the best ever" feeling that they seem to go for by making the induction to the Hall of Fame the crowning moment of the game but I feel they already cheapen that by saying "Okay you're Champion now, that's great, but you're barely even a decent trainer thanks to the Battle Frontier" and I just sort of feel... what's the point of even being Champion? :( If it's not the way to be #1 trainer in the game, stop making it seem like it is and shift the end-game focus to the plot. It'd be an interesting change, for sure.
    It would add an interesting change, which is something I'd look forward to after repeating almost the same sequence generation after generation. Something that I hope plays into all of this is the protagonist's age. I mean they never really stressed the idea that the player would be older than ten, so hopefully that doesn't go to waste. Maybe since we're older we could have traveled before perhaps, failed at defeating the first Champion or something of that kind. I may seem to be going out of the borders with this one a little, but as long as they can make an intriguing story for the game and extend it beyond the Elite Four, I'd feel that it gives us more purpose of actually being a Champion now. The Battle Frontier is always fun, but yeah, it does kind of drift away from the idea that we're the game's Champion. Yet, why do we still have to feel so overshadowed?

I agree with you. I would like for Black and White to have a plot that extends post-game. I'd also like for some trainers to acknowledge me as the champion.

I'd also like for the gym leaders to be out of their gyms more often, and for you to have some interactions with them. A gym leader could be stuck in a ghost tower or in the forest surrounded by either Haunter or Ursaring, and I have to battle the Pokemon to free the gym leader. Then the gym leader and I can have a match in the gym.
    When Platinum came out, I was glad they actually got the Gym Leaders a bit more outside of their Gyms. Something I wish they had done after DP, was take Fantina and allow us to meet her along the way since she was apparently away. An outside confrontation like that would have given the game, I don't know, somewhat of a new twist involving the Gym Leaders. I agree though, if they can somehow give the Gym Leaders more purpose in the story of the game, I think that would be a cool change.

Even after defeating the Elite and becoming the game's Champion, if they bring back rematches, then maybe we could rematch them outside their Gym. Not exactly in a house like in Platinum and HG/SS, but outside while traveling, we find them in certain areas amongst the region and rematch them there. Just an idea I thought would be nice. It could also tie into how Team Generic continues their plot after we become Champion.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • Something that I hope plays into all of this is the protagonist's age.

I think it has been stated that the protagonists this time around are older than in previous generations? I can't remember where I heard that, but if the protagonists are older, it would allow for a deeper plotline than "Bad guy! Go, strong monster! Kill other's monsters! Yay, I winz!"

Seriously. >.<

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Well I was kinda hoping for a deep story, to make things more interesting. Ooo! More 3D cut scenes like they did with PtHGSS. Those were pretty BA.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Yes, please. I loved Colosseum and XD just for that.

I mean, get x badges and become the Champion doesn't count as plot anymore, and in most games you were walking randomly and it happened that the evil guys were blocking your path or had the item you needed to progress. It felt way too forced.

I agree with Erica on this, Platinum helped a bit, but it shouldn't be too hard to help with the plot- just make it so early in the beggining the character has a reason to fight the evil guys. R/S/E and D/P/P got near it but failed- the guys are attacking a random dude or are just "mysterious" and not clearly evil.

D/P/P also helped with Charon's evil plan to do... something in Stark Mountain, but please, more Team Ggeneric characters and not just random trainers, and a big showdown and not just an "Unfought" ending.

Otherwise, a good plot twist would also help- the TG leaders are clear from the beggining and they go around telling everybody or making their evil plans incredibly obvious for everybody.

Oh, and is Team Rocket the only evil team that is ever going to take over a city or a building over two floors tall in the main series? (not counting HQ's). It's... kind of sad.

I'm kind of interested on the Rocket Grunt in Cerulean, btw. They changed his script to add a line where he says he's going to rebuild Team Rocket in his country. That's interesting, because the last script change they made to Giovanni (he left to train, instead of leaving to study Pokémon) turned out to be a foreshadowing of the future...

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    I Just Wish. Look At it this Way: A Random kid, Lets just name him Black, Goes on and errand for prof maple, He beats everyone in his way he fights the bad guy with no help at ALL. The End. Take it like GSCHGSS, There's Red but what if you could, Download sub plots. For Example you could get a mew subplot, and there would be Leaf/Blue/Green the plot would be like maybe like a quarter of the orginal plot. And What if we got an Expaned Verison of PBR, But with a story! a Plot! See what I mean theres so many ways to do it, But they don't use 'em!

Years
  • Obviously it is going to have a story. RBY had stories, but what I think you mean is like a 'Final Fantasy'-esque story. Well to you I say,"NO!"

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • While in certain games, cut scenes are amazing and should be thrown in frequently, I donm't think pokemon is that game. I'm not opposed to cutscenes, but I don't want them to be thrown in after every accomplishment. Maybe like, five cutscenes through the game? Beginning, two in the middle, one defeating team generic... another after the championship. Yes, I want more post champ storyline. And I think we're gonna get it. As well as less-generic team generic. I had a dream where I was playing pokemon white, and team generic was like, six members. And they would cause a rucuss, but then leave just as the police arrived, and you were blamed for their vandalism and theft. So then after a couple encounters, you end up being on the run from the po po.

Years
  • Just fire the people who write the plot for the games and replace them with the people who write the plot for the pokemon comic books.

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    Just fire the people who write the plot for the games and replace them with the people who write the plot for the pokemon comic books.

You mean pokespe? That. Is. The. Best. Idea. Since. Pokémon! Yes That would be Awesome!

rossbot

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2013
    If I want a story, I will go play Final Fantasy or read Atlas Shrugged. If i just want to kick some serious tail and raise some Pokemans, I will play pokemon. Minimize the story, but bring back team rocket and not the bat crap insane environmentalists. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • Meh, I can't decide. Personally, I preferred coming up with back-stories and such on my own... Regardless, it might be nice to have a plot for once. So long as the protagonist doesn't talk, I'm good.

I was thinking about this. If we were to have real anime cutscenes in this game, and we kept the whole not talk thing, then we'd have other characters constantly talking to us, and all we'd do is nod determinedly or gasp when something big happens. I really like this idea, I think it'd be kind of cute in a way.

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
  • I was thinking about this. If we were to have real anime cutscenes in this game, and we kept the whole not talk thing, then we'd have other characters constantly talking to us, and all we'd do is nod determinedly or gasp when something big happens. I really like this idea, I think it'd be kind of cute in a way.

that sounds like a really, really good idea!

i was just thinking also, what if at the beggining like, you had your favourite pokemon with you already, but then team generic steals it, they could implement it as a kind of npc trade, like "gimme your _____!" then a yes/no thing, but make it like the thing with proffesors, you select no and he says: "you dont have a choice" until you select yes, then he gives you a magikarp (or some other useless pokemon) and says "have this as a consolation prize! hehehe!" for your _____.
    then you are so angry that you go to the professor and ask for a pokemon, and he trades magikarp for a starter, and then you set off to try and get back your _____.

what do you think? it would give you a reason to try and beat them, maybe it's used against you in your final battle?

and maybe the reason you become champion is so you are strong enough to take on team generic's leader?

lol sorry for the wall of text XD

Wind

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • The regular formula should stay, what with battling Gym Leaders/Elites/Champions. I'd like the villains to have more prominence in the storyline, like Team Galactic in Platinum. Maybe they could explain what happens to them, like showing their Boss being sent to jail, or whatever... I just don't want a huge, major overhaul of the plot, since that's what the manga and anime are there for. That, and plots that focus solely on the villain's plight are more of the spin-off games' thing, especially in Ranger. I just want the Champion to stay as the final boss.

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
  • I would like the protagoists to already have a team of pokemon, becuase they are like what...17? thet could of already traveled the whole region and made a beastly team, and like red in hgss, and gsc, goes into training for years and no ever sees him, until one day they come home with no pokemon, because they released their pokemon, and becuase out of bordome decide to traverse the region again with new pokemon, and everytime you go to a new route the screen dims brown like an old photo and the player has a flashback of the time they were there with there pokemon and the people who helped them.

maybe that's changing everything too much....

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • I would like the protagoists to already have a team of pokemon, becuase they are like what...17? thet could of already traveled the whole region and made a beastly team, and like red in hgss, and gsc, goes into training for years and no ever sees him, until one day they come home with no pokemon, because they released their pokemon, and becuase out of bordome decide to traverse the region again with new pokemon, and everytime you go to a new route the screen dims brown like an old photo and the player has a flashback of the time they were there with there pokemon and the people who helped them.

maybe that's changing everything too much....

Yeah... I can't really imagine how something like that would work out without confusing people. That would make a great spin-off, though, maybe you could even play as Red...

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    It would be nice if we had a story line to go along with collecting the gym badges. Something like the storyline in RSE (like Suicine said) would be nice but with an added twist to it. Maybe have one of the side characters turn evil, or have an undercover agent in the team that is in b&w come on your side..Yeah, I can't really think of anything right now.

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
  • Just fire the people who write the plot for the games and replace them with the people who write the plot for the pokemon comic books.

I also agree with this idea. I've endured 4 full generations of bland storylines from the games, and it's about time they went into a darker storyline with actual shipping hints in them. And I love games with actual full epic cut scenes like the Final Fantasy Series and the Kingdom Hearts Series. And from the way it looks now with the main characters being around 16-18 years old..... a darker plot line would be most appropriate and REALISTIC in my opinion.

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    One of three as of the time of my vote that do not care.

Honestly, if I want to play an RPG for the story, a game where I'll have literally over 500 party members to choose from is not my ideal place to start. I play Pokemon for it's cute/awesome looking creatures, fun and addictive game play that is simple on the surface and very deep underneath.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Yes, I'm a back story is a must when making Pokemon games. I'm sure they're going to be completely original with this idea. (Besides the whole team shebang and all).

Back