• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen A Story...

Plot?

• Total voters

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
Years
  • One of three as of the time of my vote that do not care.

Honestly, if I want to play an RPG for the story, a game where I'll have literally over 500 party members to choose from is not my ideal place to start. I play Pokemon for it's cute/awesome looking creatures, fun and addictive game play that is simple on the surface and very deep underneath.

THIS. Besides, fan-theories are fun to read, and the back-story would kill the fan-theory.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I am crossing my fingers that the fact that the protagonists are supposed to be older means the plot will be more developed/darker. In my opinion, GameFreak has really let us down with every game made so far. They're the best games in the handheld market, to be sure, but GameFreak has never really pushed itself. They're like a brilliant teenager who slacks off in school because he/she know's they'll pass with only minimal effort.

Just look at the other major Nintendo franchises: Super Mario Galaxy 2 just came out, and it's supposedly the best game since Ocaraina of Time (I haven't had the chance to play it yet). The Mario team pushes themselves, and they took a risk when they made a platformer with a completely new physics system. From what I've heard, practically every level brings something new to the franchise, and that's what has earned it such rave reviews.

GameFreak needs to ask themselves: Why can't they be more like Mario? Why are they alright with reviews that are the same with every new game they release? "The formula has remain unchanged, and although these are still fun and addictive games, GameFreak once again has not brought anything drastically new to the franchise."

Please, GameFreak. Shake things up a bit. If you make a mistake, and the game is terrible because you took a risk, I'll still be there for the next generation. Give us an epic plot. Give us practical online functionality. Deviate from the formula of traveling around a region collecting 8 badges.

An epic story line is what I want in a new Pokemon game, more than anything really. The second would be a Pokemon MMORPG.

Last edited:

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
  • I am crossing my fingers that the fact that the protagonists are supposed to be older means the plot will be more developed/darker. In my opinion, GameFreak has really let us down with every game made so far. They're the best games in the handheld market, to be sure, but GameFreak has never really pushed itself. They're like a brilliant teenager who slacks off in school because he/she know's they'll pass with only minimal effort.

Just look at the other major Nintendo franchises: Super Mario Galaxy 2 just came out, and it's supposedly the best game since Ocaraina of Time (I haven't had the chance to play it yet). The Mario team pushes themselves, and they took a risk when they made a platformer with a completely new physics system. From what I've heard, practically every level brings something new to the franchise, and that's what has earned it such rave reviews.

GameFreak needs to ask themselves: Why can't they be more like Mario? Why are they alright with reviews that are the same with every new game they release? "The formula has remain unchanged, and although these are still fun and addictive games, GameFreak once again has not brought anything drastically new to the franchise."

Please, GameFreak. Shake things up a bit. If you make a mistake, and the game is terrible because you took a risk, I'll still be there for the next generation. Give us an epic plot. Give us practical online functionality. Deviate from the formula of traveling around a region collecting 8 badges.

An epic story line is what I want in a new Pokemon game, more than anything really. The second would be a Pokemon MMORPG.

I think that statement would make a great letter to Game Freak.... and I completely agree with you. Pokemon is like a brilliant teenager who refuses to push his or herself.... a risk would be defenitely nicer.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
    Years
  • I want a plot that changes slighty based on choices you make, such as the starter you pick or the size of you team. I'd also love it if you could advance through the game by either challenging the gyms or completing sidequest like the Pokeathalon/Contest instead.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • YES!!! I would love to actually see an actual plot with the game. And I want to see some epic cut scenes too.
    Same here, it would be pretty nice to see more cut scenes like the ones we had in SS/HG with the three dogs.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I am crossing my fingers that the fact that the protagonists are supposed to be older means the plot will be more developed/darker. In my opinion, GameFreak has really let us down with every game made so far. They're the best games in the handheld market, to be sure, but GameFreak has never really pushed itself. They're like a brilliant teenager who slacks off in school because he/she know's they'll pass with only minimal effort.

Having a more drastic and planned out storyline would be wonderful. I totally agree with this statement.

I'd also love it if they delved away from the Legendary Pokemon plot and made it more original this time. That's one reason why I absolutely love R/B/Y, not because it's the first game to come out, but because of the original elements in the game.

Everything after R/S/E has been an absolute copy, and it would be a good change if they adapted to what the majority wants instead of what's gotten them by so far.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I've been hoping for a more thought-out storyline for quite some time while playing these games. It would just make the games more interesting to play. The basic part of the storyline, which would be the trying to become Champion and getting involved in the evil team's plot, gets old after a while. As others have said, the idea that a starting trainer gets involved with saving the world is a difficult idea to follow. Same with how the game just ends after the title of Champion is reached.

Those are my main problems with the plot of the game. There needs to be some direction to the plot. Show why the main characters wants to be Champion, instead of the game forcing us to do so. (That was what I noticed in HG/SS while playing it: the NPCs said that the player should go for the Gym Challenge, and that was it.)

It's the same with fighting the evil team. Platinum solved this with Looker, but still. Why is the fate of the world (like R/S/E) in the hands of a trainer who hasn't had their Pokemon long? The final defeat of the evil team should come from someone who has the title of Champion because it makes more sense.

Still, I don't want the plot to get too in-depth and offer too much back story. One of my favorite things about the Pokemon games is how open-ended the past is. There's an ability there to play around with what little facts that are given and interpret them in a new way. It's just more fun.

Guess what I'm asking for is just a little bit more than what's been given, but not too much added to the story. And some sense, and something added to the end of the game so that there's a reason for everyone to play it. Not just the Battle Frontier (and that ol' trying to complete the Pokedex deal).

I don't want the story to get too dark, though. The Pokemon games will always be very light-hearted to me, and to see them take a darker turn than what they have before (with Colo. and XD) would just feel really different, and not like Pokemon games.

ThePinkDragon

Rawrtastic!
    Years
  • Any video game with a solid storyline is better than one without a good story behind it. A good plot gives your gameplay meaning!

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • Oh yes, a plot !

And if possible, this time they could find some new foes ideas, not Team /insertnameofteamhere, ne ? x/
    Would be cool to actually have something new to fight in the story o:
    But that's my opinion xD

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • Would I like a plot? Yes. Would I like a plot if the quality of said plot is about the same as the anime? Probably not...

This is a children's game, so I doubt that they would come up with anything I'd actually enjoy. If they did pull it off though, I'd be ecstatic!

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Change for the good?

one thing that i like about the dp season is that ash and friends are able to meet the eliet four members, (thats good because even after 10 years ash still isnt strong enough(or old enough) to make it there ...Sigh(-L-)..) But anyways, i know they do it with the champion, but would you like to see the eliet four members involved in the story line, maybe just a side story for each of them with there back story to show that they are 1. Famouse for being the strongest trainers in the region and 2. they are not just a person waiting for you to beat them, and then never acknowldge it when you come to face them again. What do you guys think?

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Atleast it will explain why they all know your name haha STALKERS!!! Anyways I think they did that with the Ice chick in FR/LG... I didn't like it but meh...

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • one thing that i like about the dp season is that ash and friends are able to meet the eliet four members, (thats good because even after 10 years ash still isnt strong enough(or old enough) to make it there ...Sigh(-L-)..) But anyways, i know they do it with the champion, but would you like to see the eliet four members involved in the story line, maybe just a side story for each of them with there back story to show that they are 1. Famouse for being the strongest trainers in the region and 2. they are not just a person waiting for you to beat them, and then never acknowldge it when you come to face them again. What do you guys think?
    I love the idea. :( The games definitely need more accumulative interaction between the player character and the NPCs.

But merged your thread into a previous plot thread where similar things were discussed. :3

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • Every handheld game has somewhat of a story, which tends to be weak and rather recycled. The formula for every Pokemon handheld so far has been:
    1. Trainer getting his/her first pokemon and learning the ropes while delivering some package.
    2. Evil team grunts harassing someone with something of value.
    3. Lots of rival and evil team fights along with a lot of sidequests involving getting keys to open the door to a department building or equivalent.
    4. Defeating the evil team leader(s) after going through an insanely elaborate maze.
    5. Fight the game's main legendary.
    6. Final battle with the rival around victory road where they become aware of their shortcomings and why they continually lose.
    7. Elite 4
    8. Journey to some new region with optional challenges to keep you interested in the game.
    (Third game always elaborates on the backstories of characters that were not expressly stated in the previous 2 games and 1 or 2 characters are added who appear at random points trying to thwart each evil team's plots)

There's always staples that they uphold, like getting a key item to make a pokemon get out of the way, scientists getting a part to their machine stolen, etc. This is pretty much the same formula they've used for every single game. I don't personally believe that they'll make an explicit effort to change it.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • We need something better than Team + Badges + Legends. We had these, we're sick of them, and since I'm not creatinve, I won't think on something and Nintendo should throw in something new !
    Also, cutscenes like Ho-Oh/Lugia in HGSS. Yes, DO want ! :D

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Lol @ Gamefreak making a game with a story.
    As nice as it would be, it's just wishful thinking. At least, with the first 2 versions it is since the 3rd version has a bit more plot.

Back