• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Oak's Revenge (M/18/R)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    I'll try to improve my writing, and I'll continue the story after this post, hopefully better than ever. Now, for some explanations...

Oak gets his drugs from the Saffron City slums, as explained in chapter 6, and he smuggles them via a little pocket he made in his leg, which he can open with a zipper. His reason for taking drugs is that he wants to escape from the lonely reality; he is old and got no wife.

Now, to explain some depth of the story... Oak is actually a metaphor for Palestine. No one helps him, as Ash (who is a metaphor for Israel) destroys his life. Oak's drug abuse is a metaphor for the Palestinian people's belief in Islam; drugs, aswell as Islam, can be good, but he is abusing it to a bad lifestyle (him hitting Delia and stabbing Jessie was a metaphor for Islamic woman submission). Oak, like Palestine, thinks that Ash, like Israel, is trying to ruin everything for him; however, Ash is not; Ash is just mean, egoistic and power hungry (wanting to become Pokémon Master), he doesn't care about Oak, only when Oak attacks (like Palestinian terrorists). Pallet respesents USA, as they all agree with Ash's actions against Oak. The death of Pikachu represents the Holocaust, a loss to the Jews, but also the trigger of the creation of Israel, like how Pikachu's death, a loss to Ash, was a trigger to Ash's metaphoric value as Israel; power hungry, mean and egoistic. Just like the real conflict between Israel and Palestine, there is no clear evil part in their conflict.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    No they're not. I won't talk about the customers that I have dealt with, but I will say that I've seen reviewers who were (to put it bluntly) just plain wrong about something. A reviewer can share their opinion about a story, but the writer does not always have to listen to them. Otherwise, there could be times when the writer is told conflicting opinons and can't please everyone, or is told the completely wrong information (like when someone who doesn't know grammar that well tries to review grammar).

It wont sell, and thats the point of writing. And thus, the customer IS ALWAYS RIGHT. People who are payed to review are payed for their opinion which people listen to, even if it's a poor one.

As for conflicting interests, since no one so far has said they like it, their is no conflicting interest since their isnt an interest.

Now, to explain some depth of the story... Oak is actually a metaphor for Palestine. No one helps him, as Ash (who is a metaphor for Israel) destroys his life. Oak's drug abuse is a metaphor for the Palestinian people's belief in Islam; drugs, aswell as Islam, can be good, but he is abusing it to a bad lifestyle (him hitting Delia and stabbing Jessie was a metaphor for Islamic woman submission). Oak, like Palestine, thinks that Ash, like Israel, is trying to ruin everything for him; however, Ash is not; Ash is just mean, egoistic and power hungry (wanting to become Pokémon Master), he doesn't care about Oak, only when Oak attacks (like Palestinian terrorists). Pallet respesents USA, as they all agree with Ash's actions against Oak. The death of Pikachu represents the Holocaust, a loss to the Jews, but also the trigger of the creation of Israel, like how Pikachu's death, a loss to Ash, was a trigger to Ash's metaphoric value as Israel; power hungry, mean and egoistic. Just like the real conflict between Israel and Palestine, there is no clear evil part in their conflict.

Why ... Seriously. I think (key thing their) that's a horrible idea. Real world Politics, especially from a biased view (since everyone (myself included) is biased) is the worst idea I have ever seen. People dont read Fan Fiction for ... News. They read it for fun.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with GFA, it doesn't mix with pokémon, but that was beautifully thought out.

Years
  • While it's interesting that you wanted to express this with all those 'hidden mesages', it's... Well, people's perception works differently. It wasn't all that clear, to be honest.
    Ash, power hungry? Well, Oak attacked his moher, so that's why he attacked him, rihgt? Saying he wanted to be a Pokemon Master without Oak's help is... not entirely power hungry or selfish, in my opinion.
    What I'm trying to say is, I personally (amongst others, I take from their posts) didn't find it too symbolic. Although I agree, it was well thought out, I suppose, it just... Could've been expressed a bit better, in my opinion.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • To GFA's point about why people write and review: All I can say is neither the reviewer nor the author is more important in a writing relationship. Just because you come on someone else's thread to put down your thoughts doesn't mean you have authority over what they're writing. Rather, you're an equal. A polite writer will pay attention to what you're saying and think about it for awhile, but they don't have to accept everything you say (so long as they take care to thank you but explain in a tactful and clear way why they're doing what they're doing -- you know, so long as it's not about something that's pretty difficult to argue against, like grammar issues). Likewise, a polite reviewer won't force their views on the writer. At most, they can explain their thought processes in as immense detail as possible, but an individual reviewer isn't necessarily always right.

A writer, after all, isn't trying to "sell" his story (if we consider a sale to mean "people read and respond to it") by unquestioningly obeying the reviewer because there's a lot of other factors that could go into whether or not a story is successful. For example, there's a lot more people responding to this thread than any other one in this forum, so obviously (and ironically)... it's selling. But nice job at supporting irony. That's seriously the classiest way I've seen it happen. No, really.

Now, on to the fic itself.

First, I'm just going to say I'm going to ignore the formatting. Let's just say remember to double-space between each paragraph (a la what I'm doing here), even dialogue. This makes it easier to read what's going on. Not to mention there's other grammatical quirks and nitpicks I could say, but I'll set those aside for now because that's not what I want to focus on in this fic. (However, yeah, you'll want to go back and clean misspellings and punctuation errors up if you want us to take your work seriously. The more errors you have, the less we're able to see your point in as much of an adult light as you probably want us to, if that makes sense.)

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on this fic. At first, I couldn't quite tell whether or not this was actually a troll because, well, a lot of trollfics I've seen start off with a character get seriously OOC and toking it up. And that's exactly what we have at the beginning. This really doesn't look like Professor Oak, and you really don't bother trying to make it be Professor Oak. The character's just not the amiable grandfather we all know and love. Instead, he complains that nobody understands him (like you would see a stereotypical teenager do) and sucks on a joint. Then, it's even harder to take the narration seriously when you replace actual action descriptions with things like "*stab*" and self-censor. (The latter wouldn't be so jarring, except later on, you do things like "F**********CK!!!!!" Might as well just let the censor take care of it or just say, "He cursed loudly.")

Now, why is this all bad? It's because of your message. Now, I got that you were trying to get at something here before you explained it (although because of the obsession with drugs, I just assumed it was a drug PSA in fic form -- a problem we'll talk about in a moment), but the problem is it was so difficult to take your fic seriously because characters were acting OOC and there was such a heavy reliance on the drug metaphor that I just couldn't take the hidden meaning seriously. When you deal with such an adult subject like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, you really do want to make sure you're not doing anything to make your fic a narmfest.

In other words, you just have to refine your delivery if you want us to think about your point and discuss it with the degree of intelligent thought it deserves. The first step is to figure out a way to create an analogy that doesn't rape characterization. Is the best representation of your view of Palestine Professor Oak and not, say, Cyrus (zealot who tried to destroy the world for the sake of creating a better one)? Is the best representation of your view of Israel Ash? Can you talk about the characters' relationships with each other without having one act in ways that don't match what we're used to seeing? (Like I said, Oak doesn't really moan about himself, let alone abuse drugs. He's an intelligent and pretty clean-cut character, so he probably won't be toking it up. Meanwhile, Ash isn't really power-hungry in canon, and he cares about the professor as a friend and grandfather figure. To take them out of character -- or OOC -- is shaky business because people are used to these basics being true. An exaggeration of the direct opposite just seems cartoonish and silly.)

Beyond that, do you have to rely on drugs to represent religion? There's definitely other ways of portraying that part of things other than with drugs. It's perfectly possible, for example, to substitute one set of beliefs with another without dumbing down your fic too much. Someone's obsession with Pokémon, for example, could be a match if you work with it enough and be careful to draw parallels that don't change what the character believes in canonically. (For example, in Special, the Elite Four attempted to decimate humanity in order to give Pokémon a world to live in. Sounds like something that could be adjusted slightly to fit your needs, right? I mean, their basic reason for doing it could be said to be good, but their methods -- attempting to kill off humanity, that is -- were horrendous.) The point is, find a jumping-off point in canon and work from there. Don't resort to something that people can't take seriously to begin with (which is a problem drugs tend to have in fics thanks to the abundance of anti-drug PSAs we've all been subject to as kids). It'll be much easier on you if you went that route.

Next step after that is deliver it in a way that isn't too subtle. The other key problem with your work is that there wasn't a connection between your metaphor and what you were trying to say. No reader would have drawn the conclusion that this was about Israel and Palestine (although this was, in part, because of how over-the-top you were handling the drug issue).

Actually, let's bring back something I said a moment ago to talk about this. Remember how I said I initially thought (at least, after deciding that this might not be just a trollfic) that it was an anti-drug PSA? I have my reasons. Most of the time, you were focusing on Oak's spiral downwards. He starts off with a drug that isn't actually that hard (marijuana) and goes right into amphetamine. Because of his drug abuse, one could just see his interactions with Arceus as hallucinations, and anyway, what Arceus has said doesn't seem to match any particular religion. (Sure, it can vaguely be considered Islamic, but it could also be said that Arceus could be like the Christian/Jewish God because, well, all three of those belief systems have the "thou shalt not kill" rule. Not to mention the Palestinians do what they do in the name of God, so they probably wouldn't reject God like Oak does just before snorting.) Then, you go into the entire retelling of the scene with Oak having sex with Delia's dead body in a church, and... yeah. Let's just say that this told me more that I shouldn't do drugs than it did that I should pay attention to world media.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's an interesting subject. It's just sort of lost in a message you really didn't intend on having. I wasn't able to draw a line between Oak and the Palestinians because there just weren't enough clues that made me think you were trying to portray something political and not something a bit more obvious. On that note, I also couldn't draw a line between Ash and Israel at all. As far as I could tell, he was just a jerk who might've been mourning Pikachu. (Also, I don't know. I feel like comparing the Holocaust to "PokéCancer" is a bit... too light. Even the word makes it difficult to take the comparison seriously.)

Putting it a simpler way, there's a difference between being subtle and having something that's disconnected. When you create a metaphor, you want it to be similar to your subject so that your readers can eventually get it just by putting together the clues that you've left. You don't want to do what you just did and explain your entire point. Now, you could be building your metaphor for later, but the problem is, with a subject this heavy, you've really got to start dropping hints from the beginning to make sure the reader knows they're looking at something serious. As in, you've got to downplay anything else that might lead a reader off the right path and figure out what clues would lead your audience to draw the conclusions you want them to get to. Once you figure out what clues you'll need, you'll have to figure out how to plant them to make them not entirely noticeable but still pretty clear.

For example, let's go with the drug analogy. How do you write it so that the reader doesn't think it's an anti-drug PSA? Start by figuring out what drugs you need. There's hundreds of different drugs, each with their own effects, and in combination with each other, they can make a character act in thousands of different ways. What you need to do, then, is to find a drug or drug combination that makes your character experience religious ecstasy. As in, something that makes them think they're having an intensely religious experience. Maybe even conversing with God or reforming their views of reality. Instead of having them lapse into an unconscious, uncontrollable state, think about how to do it so they're conscious of what actions they're taking. (After all, the Palestinians know what they're doing and think they're right, so your character should, too. That and you shift the message from just being anti-drug to being about something deeper. The character would be able to have control over themselves and form opinions around their visions, so your message that what they're doing is ethically complicated ends up being emphasized. After all, how can you say a character is incorrect if they're acting on visions they honestly believe are religious in nature, even if they were chemical in origin?)

Of course, this is all just a suggestion and only one way of doing things. I'd really encourage you to find other ways to avoid the drug analogy altogether (because you might run into people who will still find it hard to take your fic seriously thanks to the anti-drug sentiment), but I'm just saying you could still play around with it if you wanted to.

Once you get all of that out of the way, then you'll really want to make an effort to clean up your fic in terms of grammar and whatnot thanks to the first bit I said about how more errors make it increasingly difficult for readers to take things seriously.

Very long story short, it's an interesting concept to explore political metaphor using a Pokémon fic, but you'll want to work on your delivery to make sure the right message gets across.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    Chapter 7: Jihad

The church was big; almost too big. Oak, who had gone against Arceus' orders, was now is Arceus' house, about to murder a servant of Arceus. What he was doing was dangerous; he was confronting the whole power of Arceus at once, at the base of Arceus' power. He had to act quickly; he felt insecure, outpowered by the feeling of surrounding holyness. Neither did the priest's sudden chanting help on the matter, as the holy surroundings now seemed to be against Oak in the sense of sound, too. He felt outmatched. Weak. But he had to act now, or it would never be done. Before he lost his courage, he took forth a knife; it felt so heavy in his hand. He felt like holding his ticket to Hell; the tool he would commit the ultimate sin with. He didn't want to think no more! Scary thoughts raced around in his head. He decided to deny Arceus' existence, and with the knife in his hand, ran towards to priest. The priest, Arnold, turned around. He saw Oak, but he didn't look scared; Oak froze, and then, Arnold spoke.
    "Do what you have to do... May Arceus have mercy on your soul"
    Suddenly, tears fell from Oak's eyes. Oak didn't knew what had gotten into him; was it the beauty of the priest's peaceful way of confronting a man wishing to kill him? Was this the power of Arceus; the power of good? No! Oak shouldn't think like that! It would weaken him; he COULD carry out his mission, but he had to do it quickly! NOW! Without further thinking, Oak ran towards the silent Arnold with his knife raised above his head. The run felt like a mile; like a never-ending fall towards the depths of Hell.
    "Arceus doesn't exist... From now on, I worship only Allah; and I will kill you, oh infidel one!" Oak yelled in anger.
    Islam was Oak's call; the allowance to kill infidels from Islamic law was the only religion that would accept the things Oak was about to do; to kill a non-Muslim.
    "You're lost" the priest cried.
    Finally, with overwhelming confidence, Oak stabbed the knife into the gut of the priest, who stood still for two very long seconds before falling to his knees.
    "Mashallah" Oak said, as his tearful face turned into the most satisfying smile he had ever had.
    There, in front of the holy alter of Arceus, Oak had commited his first act of Jihad...

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    I took all of your critics too heart, and I hope this chapter showed that :) Now, Oak's symbolism of Palestine will be more clear, and I wanna show more details from now on. Ash will also convert to Judaism soon, to make him more Israeli. More stuff will happen to make the metaphor more clear.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    While it's interesting that you wanted to express this with all those 'hidden mesages', it's... Well, people's perception works differently. It wasn't all that clear, to be honest.
    Ash, power hungry? Well, Oak attacked his moher, so that's why he attacked him, rihgt? Saying he wanted to be a Pokemon Master without Oak's help is... not entirely power hungry or selfish, in my opinion.
    What I'm trying to say is, I personally (amongst others, I take from their posts) didn't find it too symbolic. Although I agree, it was well thought out, I suppose, it just... Could've been expressed a bit better, in my opinion.

Ash threated Oak like a criminal, not the old man who used to help him so much who now made one simple mistake. Ash's actions can not be justified. Ash was innocent in the accident in his house, though; Oak hallucinated, as stated in the story's news papers part. However; Ash told all of Pallet about what Oak had done, thus humiliating Oak in public. Ash is evil, and it should be clear to everyone.

And Ash IS selfish. He doesn't want to share the honor of turning into a Master with Oak, the man responsible for Ash even becoming a Pokémon trainer at all.

And it might not have been clear before, but from now on, it will. I wrote the previous chapters (except chapter 5) while under the effects of marijuana, because that gives you better concentration, and it also helps my creativity. What's more, it fits better with Oak's constant hallucinating; I FEEL like Oak, I write him better. I wasn't affected by marijuana as I wrote the new chapter, as I want to see what difference it will make (chapter 5 was more article than story), and I might live up to people's expectations of me way better now...

Last edited:

grey†fish

not black or white… or gray :]
    Years
  • Hmm… I read the first chapter and honestly, I couldn't help but think that this was just the version of Pokémon in South Central xD

I decided to skip on the rest of the fic because it honestly didn't grab my attention, and I honest-to-God felt like I probably should give it a chance after reading all comments (although the characters are disgustingly OOC and the thought of OakxDelia, not to mention the necrophiliac version of that is just plain nasty).

However, I've changed my mind, mostly because of your two last posts.
    First of all, you claim to have taken all critiques to heart, but your formatting remains the same (it's hard to read and you're not double-spacing at all), and I believe that relying on the character's religion to portray the faint metaphor of the Palestine-Isreali Conflict isn't necessarily the best idea ever; remember that religion is seldom mentioned in Pokémon, and although you do mention the Church, religion doesn't define the people who practice it (for example, people go to Church while the Bible clearly stands against the idea of a Church).

Regarding your second post, well, I completely disagree with your first two comments regarding Oak and Ash's relationship. If a perverted old man under the influence of anything touched my mother, he'd be lucky to be alive… seriously, I'd snap. Secondly, the fact that their fallout and the severing of ties occurred as a response to this, takes away from the Palestine-Israeli thing… it puts Oak completely at fault (although you somehow sympathize with him), which brings me to my next point.

Oak is not the hero of this story, no matter which way I look at it, you appear to sympathize with him purely because you like the fact that he smokes weed, and you smoke weed as well; you haven't even provided a reason to why he smokes (albeit I understand he doesn't really need one, although it makes your story OOC). However, I should advise you to lay off it if you really are 13… nothing against weed itself, I love the plant and think it should be legalized as soon as possible, but I don't believe you're mature enough to handle the mental stress that it will eventually cause to you (I speak from experience).
    Also the fact that you think of him as a victim (of both Ash's "injustice" or in my words 'lacking retribution', and his state of being under the influence) is honestly frightening and demeaning to the reader's intelligence. No matter the mental state that Oak is in, he should be held accountable for his actions (for example, Lindsay Lohan should be imprisoned rather than going in and out of ****ing rehab).

Well, that's it from me, I guess that in the end of the day I'd recommend looking at other fics and copying their format, and making the fic more serious, taking away the drug emphasis.
    (I would recommend a hallucinogen which would fit amazingly for your drug-addicted Oak, but I'm scared you'll go out and try it, so instead I'll just wish you luck with this; you probably won't be hearing from me again though :\).

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Yeah, if I was a muslim, Id probably want to kill you. this whole thing is very offensive to Islamic culture.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    Yeah, if I was a muslim, Id probably want to kill you. this whole thing is very offensive to Islamic culture.

Oh no, don't tell me this is one of the sites who doesn't tolerate anything else about Islam than worshipping? It's a story, and Islam is not discriminated against, it will play a big role in Oak's life, just like how Judaism will in Ash's.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Oh no, don't tell me this is one of the sites who doesn't tolerate anything else about Islam than worshipping? It's a story, and Islam is not discriminated against, it will play a big role in Oak's life, just like how Judaism will in Ash's.

Which, I think, as stated before, should be left out. Its a Fan Fic. Even if its dark, people read it for personal enjoyment, not for a critique/farce on global politics.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    Chapter 8: Pikachu's Voice

"May Allah have mercy on your soul, 'cus I certainly won't" Oak's voice said.
    These were the words that Ash heard in his nightmare, before he woke up in shock. He had fallen asleep on the sofa again, although it was early in the evening. The TV was still running, and Ash was kinda confused. There was Professor Birch's Pokémon Show on TV, which usually interested Ash, but this time, he fell asleep watching it. He was tired, kinda weak since the beating Team Rocket gave him. His head felt heavy. Suddenly, he saw Pikachu appear in front of him!
    "Pikachu!?" Ash said.
    He couldn't believe his eyes.

"Yes, Ash. I'm Pikachu. Or rather, the ghost of Pikachu. I can't talk, I'm communicating with you telepathically to warn you. The Kanto region was once, a long time ago, known as the Middle East. But times have changed. Pallet was once a powerful realm known as Israel, and before that, known as Palestine. They fought over this place, and in the end, Israel won. Now, the spirit of Islam is back here; Arceus banned Islam and Judaism from Pallet thousands of years ago, to avoid that the mad religious war here would ever repeat itself. Oak is the first muslim from Pallet in centuries; in order to defeat him, you will need to posses the spirit of Judaism, or else, even you won't be able to defeat Oak's spirit of Islam. He is a powerful muslim warlord now, and the war will repeat itself, unless you becomes a Jew and makes this a religious FIGHT between Oak and yourself, before it explodes into a religious war. I have faith in you, Ash..."
    After those words, Pikachu disappeared.

"I can't believe it... I'm chosen to stop this religious war from repeating itself..." Ash cried, being sad over seeing Pikachu again. But he was ready to live out Pikachu's last wish; to become jewish, defeat Oak in religious battle, and prevent the religious war between muslims and jews to ever repeat itself again!

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2011
    Hmm… I read the first chapter and honestly, I couldn't help but think that this was just the version of Pokémon in South Central xD

I decided to skip on the rest of the fic because it honestly didn't grab my attention, and I honest-to-God felt like I probably should give it a chance after reading all comments (although the characters are disgustingly OOC and the thought of OakxDelia, not to mention the necrophiliac version of that is just plain nasty).

However, I've changed my mind, mostly because of your two last posts.
    First of all, you claim to have taken all critiques to heart, but your formatting remains the same (it's hard to read and you're not double-spacing at all), and I believe that relying on the character's religion to portray the faint metaphor of the Palestine-Isreali Conflict isn't necessarily the best idea ever; remember that religion is seldom mentioned in Pokémon, and although you do mention the Church, religion doesn't define the people who practice it (for example, people go to Church while the Bible clearly stands against the idea of a Church).

Regarding your second post, well, I completely disagree with your first two comments regarding Oak and Ash's relationship. If a perverted old man under the influence of anything touched my mother, he'd be lucky to be alive… seriously, I'd snap. Secondly, the fact that their fallout and the severing of ties occurred as a response to this, takes away from the Palestine-Israeli thing… it puts Oak completely at fault (although you somehow sympathize with him), which brings me to my next point.

Oak is not the hero of this story, no matter which way I look at it, you appear to sympathize with him purely because you like the fact that he smokes weed, and you smoke weed as well; you haven't even provided a reason to why he smokes (albeit I understand he doesn't really need one, although it makes your story OOC). However, I should advise you to lay off it if you really are 13… nothing against weed itself, I love the plant and think it should be legalized as soon as possible, but I don't believe you're mature enough to handle the mental stress that it will eventually cause to you (I speak from experience).
    Also the fact that you think of him as a victim (of both Ash's "injustice" or in my words 'lacking retribution', and his state of being under the influence) is honestly frightening and demeaning to the reader's intelligence. No matter the mental state that Oak is in, he should be held accountable for his actions (for example, Lindsay Lohan should be imprisoned rather than going in and out of ****ing rehab).

Well, that's it from me, I guess that in the end of the day I'd recommend looking at other fics and copying their format, and making the fic more serious, taking away the drug emphasis.
    (I would recommend a hallucinogen which would fit amazingly for your drug-addicted Oak, but I'm scared you'll go out and try it, so instead I'll just wish you luck with this; you probably won't be hearing from me again though :\).

Where did you get the idea that I'm 13? I'm not :)

Oh, and even though we don't agree, I accept your opinion. Oak is not a clear hero per see, but he is definetely better than Ash. And now, when Oak is Muslim and Ash is Jewish, and their upcoming battle will decide whatever or not Pallet will stay Pallet, or become Palletstine or Israllet, the story actually IS taking on a more serous direction. However, nothing happens in this story without signifance; you have to think, and as the story moves on, you will understand everything better and better :)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I'm sorry, maybe Asty will come and tell me off, but seriously, what the hell is this thread. Religion? Weed? Constant censor bypass? Death threats? I- I don't think I can accept this on this forum. I don't think I would even accept this on a more mature forum.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back