• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New title

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
Years
  • I will always call them legendaries... It seems weird to change it now. Mythical makes a lot of sense, more sense actually but I have grown up with legendary so that is what I will call them.
    This. Exactly. It'd be too hard to change how I refer to legendaries now. ):

ALTHOUGH, maybe I can argue with this one kid I ran into the other day who was ranting about how they're making legendaries too common; mythical gives the impression that they're rare, but there can be more of them, so there? (:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I like the sound of "mythical Pokemon", but I'm so use to legendary that there's a good chance I'll keep calling them that. :P

Vindra

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I guess it depends on the Pokemon. To me, legendary sounds like a one-of-a-kind Pokemon that went down in history, while mythical sounds more elusive, with only a possibility of whether or not it actually exists. Legendary is much more epic sounding, while mythical is much more mysterious.

I kind of like mythical better, but I've been calling them legendaries for so long that it would be hard to stop now.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Hmm .... seems ok
    But i'd only use it for less important legendaries
    like mew,mewtwo,celebi,latios,latias,jirachi,manapy,victini
    Those have no purpose to be honest they are there for you pleasure
    but the important ones like the Trios or The games main pokemon are deffentaly legendary :P

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Mythical doesn't really apply to all Legendary Pokemon. And regardless, I've referred to them as Legendary all my life, so I could care less that after so many years they were renamed to something else.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • This actually comes from the distinction between different kinds of legendaries in Japanese. "Mythical Pokémon" are a subset of "legendary Pokémon" apparently containing Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect (the event legendaries.) It is not clear whether the term applies to Regigigas, Zorua, or Zoroark considering the methods of obtaining them and the fact the Z's are not legendaries.

"Mythical Pokémon" is not a renaming of "legendary Pokémon" considering Reshiram and Zekrom are referred to as legendary. Also, the beasts/dogs/cats/hamsters/whatever were referred to as legendary in the English dub of movie 13. The title of this thread may need to be changed.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • "Mythicals" doesn't have as much of a ring as "legendaries." Plus it's not even a word. Does that make my opinion of the change obvious? Heh.

Exactly, the change makes "mythical Pokemon" seem even weirder. :cer_laugh:

While in English, all are typically grouped under the banner of "legendary", there are three distinct terms in Japanese that are used to refer to them. One, 伝説のポケモン densetsu no Pokémon, literally "legendary Pokémon", refers to Pokémon such as Kyogre and Groudon, who are featured prominently in the legends of the Pokémon world. A second, 幻のポケモン maboroshi no Pokémon, literally "illusory Pokémon", refers to Pokémon seen so rarely, such as Mew, that some question their very existence. This term was translated in the Generation IV games as "mirage Pokémon", in reference to the various myths of Sinnoh, and many consider it to refer to Pokémon that are restricted to Nintendo events, not available during the course of normal gameplay. The third and newest term is 神話のポケモン shinwa no Pokémon, literally "mythical Pokémon", which refers to the Pokémon which are spoken of as the creators of the Sinnoh region.

This actually comes from the distinction between different kinds of legendaries in Japanese. "Mythical Pokémon" are a subset of "legendary Pokémon" apparently containing Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect (the event legendaries.) It is not clear whether the term applies to Regigigas, Zorua, or Zoroark considering the methods of obtaining them and the fact the Z's are not legendaries.

"Mythical Pokémon" is not a renaming of "legendary Pokémon" considering Reshiram and Zekrom are referred to as legendary. Also, the beasts/dogs/cats/hamsters/whatever were referred to as legendary in the English dub of movie 13.

I've come across the informational content of the above 2 posts on Bulbapedia...

Mirage/Illusory Pokemon: The term sounds cool, except that we already have the label of winged mirages for the Legendary Birds, and those things are as common as heck. They're available in nine different games - ten if Japan's Pokemon Green Version is counted.

Mythical Pokemon
    : I really don't see what makes the "Sinnoh" legends so special for them to gain their own classification. Some of the Sinnoh legendaries might be justified due to the fact that they technically aren't of Sinnoh, being absent from Sinnoh's regional PokeDex listing, but I have some problems with that listing anyway (Phione isn't more special than Manaphy!). And it's stupid that the term is essentially synonymous with "event" Pokemon, an annoying concept in itself.

Yeah, no. They're still legendary to me.

This. Legendary Pokemon is a much better term, IMO. Mythical Pokemon makes it seem like any Pokemon classified as this is a fake and isn't a genuine Pokemon. While Legendary Pokemon partially implies the same thing, it could also be construed as meaning that any Pokemon classified as legendary is so strong/powerful, it has become known via repeated storytellings, with the actual veracity of the Pokemon's existence being debatable. There is really no reason to rename Legendaries at this point.

----------

If any division must be made to categorize Legendary Pokemon, a better one IMO would be:

Illusory* Pokemon: "cute"-but-rarely-seen Pokemon
    Cute: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin, and Victini.

Possibly
    Mewtwo, Mewtwo/Lucario-esque, and Lati@s-esque Pokemon: Mewtwo, Arcanine, Latios, Latias, Lucario, Cresselia, Darkrai, Zorua/Zoroark, Genesect, whichever Gen 5 Pokemon that are Lati@s-esque.

I dislike the term illusory though because "illusions" are more of an optical, physical phenomena rather than the description of appearance rate or recurrence.

Mythical Pokemon: the "big titan" and the "trio" Pokemon
    Trios: Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Regirock, Registeel, Regice, Azelf, Mesprit, Uxle, musketeer trio, kami trio

Titans: (Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Regigigas, Heatran, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyuremu, Stalyumi, Amaress).
    These ones are the ones primarily featured in tales/"myths" and are mainly involved in "creating" the Pokemon world...

Personally, I believe that legendary categorization sort of gets murky at times, with my own subgroups being "big titan" legendaries, "trio" legendaries, "cute" legendaries, "Mewtwo/Lucario-ish" legendaries, and "Lati@s-ish" legendaries.

In all honesty, Nintendo and Game Freak, just call all of them legendary Pokemon/legendaries and be done with it. Categorizing them due to a certain game mechanic is just stupid and doesn't have any bearing or explanation "in-universe". Terms like "illusory", "mythical", and "mirage" will likely only serve to complicate matters in an already convoluted Pokemon world. >_>

Years
  • They did WHAT?

Are you kidding me? Legendary means debatable, not seen, extremely powerful! Look at what most can do!

Dialga can distort and CONTROL time. What?!
    Giratina is in control over THE OTHER DIMENSION/WORLD.

Look. I can tolerate somethings, but they're legendary for a reason, people!

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • Yeah, no. They're still legendary to me.
    I was about to post this exact message, but since it would now be considered spam, I'll go with "They were obviously drunk, and I will just ignore them." They have always been Legendaries, and they will always be.

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
    Years
  • Lol the funny thing is that they were never really changed as Legendary was mostly a fan used term for the powerful rare pokemon in the games...

Please explain Ho-oh, Lugia, Entei and Raikou, Raikou and Suicune, Suicune and Entei, Rayquaza and Deoxys, Darkrai and Cresselia, Kyogre and Groudon and Dialga and Palkia LEGEND to me ;)

The only thing I don't get is why they changed the term :S

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • The problem with the use of "mirage Pokémon" is that it already refers to something different in the anime. So separating them into "mythical" (Mew, Celebi, etc.) and other legendaries (the birds, the beasts, etc.) is better. Still, as I said, "mythical" is a subset.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    I thought Mythical Pokemon only applied to the legendaries not normally envountered in the game (Arceus, Deoxys, Genesect, Melotta, Shaymin, Mew etc...) or was that Phantom Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Is there even a link to an official source that says they are changing the title? I watched the English Version of Black and White "Enter Iris and Axew" and they definatly called Zekrom a "Legendary" Pokemon and even Team Rocket said they'd catch all of Unova's "Legendary" Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Are you kidding me? Legendary means debatable, not seen, extremely powerful! Look at what most can do!

Dialga can distort and CONTROL time. What?!
    Giratina is in control over THE OTHER DIMENSION/WORLD.

Look. I can tolerate somethings, but they're legendary for a reason, people!]

And many myths, especially those in well-known Greek and Egyptian Mythologies revolve around great deities whom wield immense power, even creating and destroying life at will. The difference between the two words does not really mean much.

Hey, let's take Dialga for an example.

The Pokédex said:
    It has the power to control time. It appears in Sinnoh-region myths as an ancient deity.

Sounds like a Mythical Pokémon to me

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • And many myths, especially those in well-known Greek and Egyptian Mythologies revolve around great [S-HIGHLIGHT]dirties[/S-HIGHLIGHT] whom wield immense power

Great dirties, indeed. :cer_laugh:

I prefer Legendary Pokemon, as there's really no point for the rename. And, IMO, mythical has a negative connotation of the mythical being in question being fake or nonexistent. Those Greek and Egyptian whatevs are fake. Legendary is a better term because it's as if the legendary being's abilities are so great, stories have been developed to challenge the veracity of such abilities.

Spr_4d_483.png

Is Dialga fake? ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    That's more of a colloquial meaning of the word "myth"

In this context there is no falsehood implied - especially when we're talking about the Pokémon world where crazy **** happens every week.

Back