• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rai's Poems

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
  • So upon my return to pokemon community, I have discovered that there is a poetry thread :3 And while I was away poetry has become a pastime of mine so the timing is perfect! I guess I will post a few poems at a time. I love feedback so comments, concerns, and critique are very welcome! :3 Enjoy~

Spoiler:

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Conspiracy Theory - This is one of those poems that is pretty hard to find any flaws. The rhythm, style, and rhyming are all very grand. It has a strange blend of a metaphor and of a survival story, or something like that.
    The only thing that boggles my mind is "But their fingers creep in with streaked golden gall." That...didn't seem to sound right to me. I don't know.
    But in simple words, you did a super job!

Guardians - Not quite as good as your previous one. But still very remarkable.
    The description of the crows and their actions are detailed beautifully. The rhythm is a bit off. But if it was a free-verse poem you were writing, I'll let it slide.
    Good job! And keep going!

SeleneHime

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I'll t
    Years
  • Both are lovely poems, Rai. "Conspiracy Theory" in particular is powerful, even if it seems the perspective in question is confused. There isn't much I can critique on this poem. Wonderful job. ^_^

"Guardians" is an interesting poem, though. TJgamer more or less said what I could, though there is a typo in your poem. 'Sore' in the fifth line, which I'd presume is supposed to be "soar". I did enjoy this one as well, however. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate the feedback :3 I mean, really appreciate it! This is the best critique I've ever gotten.

I actually said "sore" on purpose. It's supposed to have a double meaning. Just imagine black images soaring against a colorful sunset; it would ruin the view. I dunno if that makes sense?

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • So here are two more poems by me. The first one isn't supposed to be a poetic masterpiece; I'm simply trying to convey a message. The second poem is a Carpe Diem poem which translates to "Seize The Day" if you didn't know :3 I'm afraid that the poem may go a little too fast... but that may be a good thing considering its message

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Zdrast vwee tye, moi[FONT=&quot]̆[/FONT] klient.

I admit that, while I do write (and read) poetry for its aesthetic value, I rarely critique it unless the underlying theme is evident or if it really touches me on a personal level. Quite frankly, it's because I fail at picking apart the more intricate and subtle aspects of the poetic style, otherwise known as not being perceptive towards poetry. Regardless, I've decided to do a review of poetry anyway, to test how far I can actually go when it comes to poetry reviewing. Mind you, this may be the first poetry review I've done on PC (Maybe because I'm not sure if I've done one before), but done let that discourage you from reading the critique anyway.

Faceless Ballerina

The minute I read this, I was thinking Black Swan, but I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on the movie or how it may relate to the poem. What I can comment about it is how well the message is presented. I enjoyed the piece as I was looking through the eyes of the performer, and throughout, I was wondering if it may be considered an allegory for the human social condition or if I was reading too much into this critiquing business. In any case, I'll be basing my review around that abstract and possibly extraneous perspective because I'm of the persuasion that artists tend to subtly insert references to the real world subconsciously, hence my interest in the realm of critiquing.

To begin with, I quite liked how the first two lines of the poem may be a reference to social constraints and how nicely you juxtapose this with the three lines on individuality. It's really a shame that humans have to conform to these false social standards which repress creative thought, though without them I'd call the system anarchic at best. Again, this is what I meant by reading too much into that particular view, but I digress. The final two lines, confused me, to say the least, since I couldn't relate how the audience would actually literally dance with the dancers, but, if I applied the aforementioned view, I'd see it as a reference to death in this allegorical work of yours. Subtle, didn't really fit with the theme of actors on a stage, but effective nonetheless, so I commend you on that.

At any rate, that concludes my review. I might come back to do more reviews, but this will suffice for now because I'm not sure if I'm overdoing the poetry critique business. Tell me if I'm reading too much into it.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • You didn't read into too much. You got it exactly right! :D You explained the message I was trying to convey perfectly. I think you explained it better than I could have and it's my poem!

I myself am a ballerina and that is what gave me the idea for this poem. It's been floating around in my head for a while. Seeing Black Poem was my inspiration to actually write the poem down. So in a way, Black Swan did effect this poem.

The last two lines aren't referring to the audience psychically dancing. By "dancing" I mean following your fate. That no matter what you do, in the end you end up falling victim to your destiny. That is what the last two lines are saying.

I absolutely loved your review. It's the best (and most) feedback I've ever gotten from one person. Come back as often as you'd like and get into much detail as you want :3 Thanks again!

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Faceless Balerina - It isn't very powerful, but it still has a sweet taste to it. A short, but pleasant, free-verse poem.

Anyone Can Die Young - I love it's message. Sort of like Opportunity, it shows that there's so much we can accomplish while we are still living this earthly life.
    In addition, it also has such a mysterious theme with the words and terms used.
    It's pattern was very pleasant too.

Great job!

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Thank you TJ :3 I'm so glad you feel that way about Anyone Can Die Young. I worked really hard to make it seem mysterious (because you'll never know where life will take you) and to make it flow well. Thanks again~

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • This next is actually a religious poem. I am Pagan and this poem describes when I celebrated Imbolc a few weeks ago. Imbolc is the day when the first signs of spring become noticeable and to me this is very holy. Let me know what you think!

Brighid's Path
    Spoiler:

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Hmm, no one has posted in this for a while so I am guess I am just going to post another one of my poems. This poem does not have a name yet, maybe you guys could help me think of one.

Spoiler:

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    This poem really got my attention. The way how something as simple as steam is given a personality, that's weird, but awesome too.
    Now a title?
    ......"If I Were Steam".
    Yeah, I know it sounds obvious. But that's all I can think of at the moment.
    Keep on writing!

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Thanks :3 I recently noticed how much we rely on steam so I decided to write a poem about it. I'm glad you saw the personality, I was aiming for that. And lol I can't think of a name either. Thanks again!

Any opinion on the other poem?

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    Oh, the first part?
    I thought that was the opening to the whole poem.
    Anyway, yeah. It's very good. :cer_smile:

Back