Progressing ROM Hacks This forum is for ROM hacks which are currently in production, but not yet finished. Come and find a ROM hack that's starting out, or post your own for others to see! For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

TrollandToad.com
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old May 12th, 2011 (3:13 PM).
Incineroar's Avatar
Incineroar Incineroar is offline
the spirit of the fighter
  • Moderator
  • Platinum Tier
  • Developer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Iki Town
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Posts: 13,573
I've been watching this hack and I am interested in playing it. Including an RTC is a very creative idea. If there is anything else that can blow me away, it'd be a Mystery Gift function, but I don't see that happening.
__________________
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #52    
Old May 14th, 2011 (1:59 AM).
Sawakita's Avatar
Sawakita Sawakita is offline
Not Invented Here
     
    Join Date: May 2010
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 180
    I've added color palette for different daytimes (colors' choices will probably change during the development):



    ANSWERS:
    Spoiler:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quilava's Master View Post
    Wow you just don't cease to amaze me. This looks like G/S/C hack as opposed to a RBGY hack which is amazing! I really like your devamps too. Though I'm curious as to why you chose Blue over Gold/Silver? Keep up the good work.
    I like Blue more than other generations because it's the only one I really played to its conclusion (I never finished GSC, barely started playing RSE, never started playing following generation(s)), so it's mainly because of nostalgia and confidence about the inner structure and content of the ROM.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saten Ruiko View Post
    Since my English is limited I'll try to say it as short as I can: You hack awesome, maybe one of the best GB-Hacks around these forums. I love your story and the features. The screenshots are as sweet as sugar, same to your latest update. I will definitely bookmark this, keep up the good work!
    Thank you.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jespoke View Post
    It looks like a 2. gen game, with is awesome for a 1. gen hack :D And you have chosen some of my favorite sprites for individual pokemon (Like Silver Bulbasaur if i'm not wrong)

    Bookmarked.
    Someone once defined Wood a 1.5th generation game; I like to think it that way.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by namy_90 View Post
    whoa nice hack there,
    is there gonna be a RTC event in this game?
    good luck, i hope you can complete this hack ;)
    Of course there will be RTC events, I'm going to try to use this feature in every possible way, considering the time it took to be implemented.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coolboyman View Post
    Official statement: This hack will be better than my Pokemon Brown if completed.

    I'm very proud of you and everyone who is pushing ROM hacking forward while I'm busy with other stuff. Keep it up.
    Thanks for the good feedback. I really hope this hack will open more minds about hacking possibilities (too many misconceptions exist around ROM hacking, in my opinion). After all this is just my first hack (and probably the last one too, considering the time it takes to be done!).
    [On a side note: I'm not too fond about comparison between hacks: someone expressed this concept better than me.]


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
    I've been watching this hack and I am interested in playing it. Including an RTC is a very creative idea. If there is anything else that can blow me away, it'd be a Mystery Gift function, but I don't see that happening.
    Thank you. I'll gather information about this "Mystery Gift" function, which, you might be surprised, I never made use of, and I'll see if it's worth being added.
    __________________



    | 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
    Reply With Quote
      #53    
    Old May 14th, 2011 (5:28 AM).
    miksy91's Avatar
    miksy91 miksy91 is offline
    Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
       
      Join Date: Oct 2008
      Location: A small country in the North
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 1,438
      Awesome work

      I like how you implemented the clock system so that it doesn't use same kind of routine to check if it's morning/day/night (and so there are also more than three palettes).
      __________________
      My Rom Hack



      Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
      CP of encountered pokemon in GO

      Learn how to hack GB/C games:

      Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
      -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
      Reply With Quote
        #54    
      Old June 3rd, 2011 (11:07 PM).
      Alice's Avatar
      Alice Alice is offline
      (>^.(>0.0)>
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Mar 2009
      Location: Oregon
      Age: 25
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Careful
      Posts: 3,081
      Brown version... wood version.

      Was gen 1 really that boring?

      (Looks pretty good though, I must say.)
      Reply With Quote
        #55    
      Old June 4th, 2011 (5:04 AM).
      Sawakita's Avatar
      Sawakita Sawakita is offline
      Not Invented Here
         
        Join Date: May 2010
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 180
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
        Brown version... wood version.

        Was gen 1 really that boring?
        What does it mean? Does a title make a game boring? I don't think a title determines whether a game is fun or boring; also, personally, I find that single-word titles are more effective and pleasant than those long titles (like "super shining destiny of the universe: Arceus's revenge 2", or something along those lines).

        Anyway, about the actual game: I've completed the pokedex plan, there will be around 180-190 monsters (didn't insert all the actual pokemon yet, though). Also, I've met some glitch involving night palettes that slows down the development a little bit.
        __________________



        | 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
        Reply With Quote
          #56    
        Old June 4th, 2011 (8:52 AM).
        ~Red's Avatar
        ~Red ~Red is offline
        Meh. Hate me if you will.
           
          Join Date: Aug 2005
          Location: Pallet Town
          Age: 23
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 559
          Here's a challenge: Have you thought about implementing seasons? You could do it so that the seasons changed periodically (not real time). You could then do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Seasons where the map changes slightly during different seasons so you can get past obstacles etc.
          __________________
          Support my music: https://soundcloud.com/itssnyd/

          "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!"
          Reply With Quote
            #57    
          Old June 4th, 2011 (11:51 AM).
          Alice's Avatar
          Alice Alice is offline
          (>^.(>0.0)>
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Mar 2009
          Location: Oregon
          Age: 25
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Careful
          Posts: 3,081
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post


          What does it mean? Does a title make a game boring? I don't think a title determines whether a game is fun or boring; also, personally, I find that single-word titles are more effective and pleasant than those long titles (like "super shining destiny of the universe: Arceus's revenge 2", or something along those lines).
          I'm just saying, of all of the colors, brown is probably the most boring... and of all the materials, wood is the most boring... other than maybe mud or dirt.

          I do agree about 1 word titles being better though.
          Reply With Quote
            #58    
          Old June 5th, 2011 (5:07 AM).
          Sawakita's Avatar
          Sawakita Sawakita is offline
          Not Invented Here
             
            Join Date: May 2010
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 180
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by ~Red View Post
            Here's a challenge: Have you thought about implementing seasons? You could do it so that the seasons changed periodically (not real time). You could then do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Seasons where the map changes slightly during different seasons so you can get past obstacles etc.
            I like this idea! And shouldn't even be too hard to implement. Thanks for this.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
            I'm just saying, of all of the colors, brown is probably the most boring... and of all the materials, wood is the most boring... other than maybe mud or dirt.

            I do agree about 1 word titles being better though.
            I see what you mean. Just for record, anyway, Wood is intended as place, not as material.
            __________________



            | 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
            Reply With Quote
              #59    
            Old June 11th, 2011 (10:26 AM).
            Hokorashiimesuinu's Avatar
            Hokorashiimesuinu Hokorashiimesuinu is offline
            sinnoh master
               
              Join Date: Jun 2008
              Location: in a house
              Age: 21
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Sassy
              Posts: 61
              Eep! I can't wait for this, it's been a long time since I played a decent Blue hack.
              Reply With Quote
                #60    
              Old June 12th, 2011 (2:31 AM).
              ~Red's Avatar
              ~Red ~Red is offline
              Meh. Hate me if you will.
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2005
                Location: Pallet Town
                Age: 23
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 559
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by ~Red View Post
                Here's a challenge: Have you thought about implementing seasons? You could do it so that the seasons changed periodically (not real time). You could then do something similar to Zelda: Oracle of Seasons where the map changes slightly during different seasons so you can get past obstacles etc.
                An extension to this idea could be (and I'm just getting creative here) that you added new HMs or item that magically change the seasons, that way you could have more than basic cut trees or water blocking paths. You could have overgrown trees which will die out in the winter and let you past.
                __________________
                Support my music: https://soundcloud.com/itssnyd/

                "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!"
                Reply With Quote
                  #61    
                Old June 12th, 2011 (2:55 AM).
                Lord Varion's Avatar
                Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                Guess who's back?
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2009
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Other
                  Nature: Naughty
                  Posts: 2,644
                  ~Red has a point.
                  Having seasons in your Blue hack would be good.
                  It gives you more obstacle rather than cut trees and water.
                  and also it would be good I don't think any released hack so far has a working season implemented. :D
                  __________________
                  gone.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #62    
                  Old June 13th, 2011 (5:01 AM).
                  Sawakita's Avatar
                  Sawakita Sawakita is offline
                  Not Invented Here
                     
                    Join Date: May 2010
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 180
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ~Red View Post
                    An extension to this idea could be (and I'm just getting creative here) that you added new HMs or item that magically change the seasons, that way you could have more than basic cut trees or water blocking paths. You could have overgrown trees which will die out in the winter and let you past.
                    Interesting. Maybe I could put a key item (a sort of "type booster") that, when used on a high-leveled pokemon, affects the season according to its type: for example if the pokemon is ice and at least level 40 the season becomes winter, if it's fire then you'll get summer.
                    __________________



                    | 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
                    Reply With Quote
                      #63    
                    Old June 13th, 2011 (5:26 AM).
                    Wesley FG's Avatar
                    Wesley FG Wesley FG is offline
                    Pokémon Kalos Advance !! Gba Hack
                       
                      Join Date: Oct 2008
                      Location: Brazil
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Modest
                      Posts: 338
                      It's awesome to see these changes he can make a rom in GB, with a great quality, usually this kind of hack is not very appreciated, but you've got a great job with these graphics, the maps also is very good!
                      It seems to be a great scripter, too!
                      __________________
                      Kalos Demake Soon!!
                      Reply With Quote
                        #64    
                      Old June 15th, 2011 (12:06 AM).
                      jhay21's Avatar
                      jhay21 jhay21 is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2010
                        Nature: Timid
                        Posts: 21
                        will this work on a MeBoy emulator?
                        Reply With Quote
                          #65    
                        Old June 16th, 2011 (12:12 PM).
                        Lord Varion's Avatar
                        Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                        Guess who's back?
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2009
                          Age: 23
                          Gender: Other
                          Nature: Naughty
                          Posts: 2,644
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by jhay21 View Post
                          will this work on a MeBoy emulator?
                          This isn't released yet so no-one knows.
                          __________________
                          gone.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #66    
                          Old June 17th, 2011 (12:37 PM).
                          ~Red's Avatar
                          ~Red ~Red is offline
                          Meh. Hate me if you will.
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2005
                            Location: Pallet Town
                            Age: 23
                            Nature: Relaxed
                            Posts: 559
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Sawakita View Post

                            Interesting. Maybe I could put a key item (a sort of "type booster") that, when used on a high-leveled pokemon, affects the season according to its type: for example if the pokemon is ice and at least level 40 the season becomes winter, if it's fire then you'll get summer.
                            Now that's an interesting idea! Will this key item have unlimited uses?
                            __________________
                            Support my music: https://soundcloud.com/itssnyd/

                            "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!"
                            Reply With Quote
                              #67    
                            Old June 18th, 2011 (4:04 PM). Edited June 18th, 2011 by Sawakita.
                            Sawakita's Avatar
                            Sawakita Sawakita is offline
                            Not Invented Here
                               
                              Join Date: May 2010
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 180
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by ~Red View Post
                              Now that's an interesting idea! Will this key item have unlimited uses?
                              Probably it should since it is a key item and having limited use would be maybe somewhat annoying.
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by jhay21 View Post
                              will this work on a MeBoy emulator?
                              I didn't test it, but since it works with Blue (this hack's base ROM) and with Gold (upon which I based the RTC feature), it should work with Wood too.

                              Small update: night tileset problem is fixed: now at night-time windows are actually lighter than rest of tiles.
                              __________________



                              | 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
                              Reply With Quote
                                #68    
                              Old June 18th, 2011 (5:39 PM).
                              Rock Star Incorporated Rock Star Incorporated is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: May 2011
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 6
                                This looks epic. I am really impressed with what your doing with a retro rom, I am looking more forward to this more than... I don't know what. So happy I randomly clicked onto this thread!
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #69    
                                Old June 18th, 2011 (5:40 PM).
                                kringlur's Avatar
                                kringlur kringlur is offline
                                Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
                                   
                                  Join Date: Feb 2011
                                  Location: Uppsala, Sweden
                                  Age: 25
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Hasty
                                  Posts: 90
                                  I've been lurking on this for a while, but it looks fantastic! I'm really pleased you're working on something so great with the first generation, too.

                                  The key item seasons idea sounds pretty cool, although it'd have to be explained well in the game in order for someone to get what it's supposed to do. Would NPCs comment on how fast the seasons are changing? Hahaha...
                                  __________________
                                  RBGY: Compilation file with headers, how to edit, et cetera. Please message me with fixes/additions/whathave you. Newest version is 6th March 2011.
                                  Tutorial: Replacing Fire Red tiles with RBY tiles in Advance Map
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #70    
                                  Old June 29th, 2011 (7:41 PM).
                                  Dodq2's Avatar
                                  Dodq2 Dodq2 is offline
                                  Black Knights Commander
                                     
                                    Join Date: May 2009
                                    Location: The land of the cold, bad weather, and mosquitos.
                                    Age: 21
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Relaxed
                                    Posts: 46
                                    This may not mean much coming from a new member but I have to say, I am more excited for this hack to come out over Pokemon Prism! Not only is the plot compelling, but I have been waiting for the day when finally I would be able to be a badass-avenger-type, but I also get to look like the coolest Pokemon sprite used! I DESPISE looking like the Red/Gold/DPPT-guys!!! I've always wanted too look like the rival, and haven't since Zel (Shiny Gold creator) began and soon quit Pokemon Gary Edition. I'm sure this hack will go far, never give up on it! I can see the raw potential it has. Good luck, I will DEFINITELY be watching and waiting for (dare I say it?) Beta 1!
                                    __________________

                                    In brightest day, in blackest night,
                                    No evil shall escape my sight
                                    Let those who worship evil's might,
                                    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #71    
                                    Old July 3rd, 2011 (3:01 PM).
                                    Sawakita's Avatar
                                    Sawakita Sawakita is offline
                                    Not Invented Here
                                       
                                      Join Date: May 2010
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Posts: 180
                                      Update: really small, as usual. I've been repointing lots of tables lately, since they need to be expanded in order to allow inserting new pokemon and stuff.



                                      I've been also playing around with SGB palettes (also getting rid of that pseudo-white/pink shade), and by the way here's a possible new color scheme for the titlescreen:


                                      How about it?

                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Rock Star Incorporated View Post
                                      This looks epic. I am really impressed with what your doing with a retro rom, I am looking more forward to this more than... I don't know what. So happy I randomly clicked onto this thread!
                                      Thanks.

                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by kringlur View Post
                                      I've been lurking on this for a while, but it looks fantastic! I'm really pleased you're working on something so great with the first generation, too.

                                      The key item seasons idea sounds pretty cool, although it'd have to be explained well in the game in order for someone to get what it's supposed to do. Would NPCs comment on how fast the seasons are changing? Hahaha...
                                      Thanks. Of course NPC and "trainer tips" signposts will help the player understanding the various feature. After all that's how original creators did too.

                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Dodq2 View Post
                                      This may not mean much coming from a new member but I have to say, I am more excited for this hack to come out over Pokemon Prism! Not only is the plot compelling, but I have been waiting for the day when finally I would be able to be a badass-avenger-type, but I also get to look like the coolest Pokemon sprite used! I DESPISE looking like the Red/Gold/DPPT-guys!!! I've always wanted too look like the rival, and haven't since Zel (Shiny Gold creator) began and soon quit Pokemon Gary Edition. I'm sure this hack will go far, never give up on it! I can see the raw potential it has. Good luck, I will DEFINITELY be watching and waiting for (dare I say it?) Beta 1!
                                      Thank you, I seriously plan to make this a complete hack (no idea how it will be going to take, though).
                                      __________________



                                      | 1st Gen Hacking: Useful Links | A good example of REAL ROM Hacking |
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #72    
                                      Old July 3rd, 2011 (3:07 PM).
                                      iloveanne's Avatar
                                      iloveanne iloveanne is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jun 2009
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Calm
                                        Posts: 48
                                        wow. this looks like a hack id play. i need to stay posted. i lkike the way you added the day and night systems
                                        __________________
                                        Completed Challenges
                                        Laure's Egg Salad Supreme

                                        Current Challenges:
                                        None at the moment
                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #73    
                                        Old July 19th, 2011 (2:11 PM). Edited July 19th, 2011 by aleonconejera.
                                        aleonconejera's Avatar
                                        aleonconejera aleonconejera is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Jul 2011
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Posts: 1
                                          Wow, great work, i'm sure i'll be a great hack, keep with the good work, and i loved your choise for protagonist of the game!!!! I FREAKIN' WANT TO SEE THIS FINISHED!!!!!
                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #74    
                                          Old July 24th, 2011 (11:57 AM).
                                          pokemonlover493's Avatar
                                          pokemonlover493 pokemonlover493 is offline
                                          Trainer
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jul 2009
                                            Location: Lumiose City, Kalos
                                            Age: 24
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Lax
                                            Posts: 355
                                            This looks like a great hack. I will be playing it.
                                            Reply With Quote
                                              #75    
                                            Old August 23rd, 2011 (4:50 AM).
                                            classiccartoonsftw's Avatar
                                            classiccartoonsftw classiccartoonsftw is offline
                                            Nintendo is for awesome people
                                               
                                              Join Date: Jul 2011
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Posts: 9,246
                                              If this game's going to be released, will it be a demo, an alpha, a beta, or will you first complete it and then release it?
                                              Reply With Quote
                                              Reply

                                              Quick Reply

                                              Join the conversation!

                                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                              Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                              Sponsored Links
                                              Thread Tools

                                              Posting Rules
                                              You may not post new threads
                                              You may not post replies
                                              You may not post attachments
                                              You may not edit your posts

                                              BB code is On
                                              Smilies are On
                                              [IMG] code is On
                                              HTML code is Off

                                              Forum Jump


                                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:40 PM.