• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hi there! Can I interest you in some Jesus?

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
Years
No Jehovah's Witnesses have ever knocked on my door, but with salesmen I just listen to what they have to say and then tell them we're not interested.

I don't think i'd ever be able to just close the door on them.
I'd probably feel so bad about it that i'd open it right up again and apologize :/

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Funny you should ask because this happened like two days ago. My mother and I were coming home, driving through the neighborhood. One of the houses had Jehovah's witnesses there. We parked our car inside the garage so they wouldn't see it. Our house was a bit obscured from the house they were at, so they didn't notice. After about thirty minutes, they got to our house. We decided that we wouldn't do anything and be quiet as soon as we got home. They knocked and knocked and left after a few minutes, which allowed us to avoid them entirely.

My mother mocked our neighbors since they had them at their doorstep for a good twenty minutes or so. We don't get many salesman at all, only girl scouts and boy scouts, and you just can't deny them. So you tell them you already bought whatever.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
Years
I go all ninja and sneak over to the door so I can look at them through the peephole. Once, I thought the people who rang the doorbell were my neighbors so it went like:

Me: *opens door* 8D HI!
Religious people: 8) Hello, we just stopped by to... *blah blah blah*
Me: O.O ... DX

And another time there was a religious person walking around the bus stops at the mall and of all people, she decided to talk to me -_- So she gave me this flyer and was talking to me about how I can accept Jesus and go to heaven or I can defy him and go to hell on Judgement Day, which *cough*didn'thappen*cough*. I pretended to listen while desperately looking down the road hoping my bus would come.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
My parents politely tell them no and send them on their way.

If it was me, I'd start to talk with them, shift the conversation to discussing magical girl anime, and watch them go all o_0 as I begin rambling about cute girls in frilly outfits fighting evil. By the time I start acting out Cure White's lines and attacks, my guess is that they'd probably leave.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
We have a sophisticated alert system at my house. My mother is incredibly nosy so she's almost always looking out the window trying to see what people are doing with their lives... so when we have the religious door-to-door people coming around, she knows. She then alerts whoever is in the house and near a window to hit the floor and she rushes to turn off the TV so there's no sound and they can see nobody - then when they ring the doorbell they can legitimately think nobody is home rather than feeling dejected that there are people who are just refusing to answer haha.

Though one time I was home alone and I opened the door and there was a man who looked like some sort of church-appointed converter standing there with a Bible and a booklet he handed me, and then next to him there was a wholesome-looking family (a mother and her two adorable half-Asian children) that he had obviously been assigned to stand there to be psychological faith-candy and show you how wonderful your life could be if you went into their religion. I was so taken aback by this obvious ploy that I couldn't even bring myself to slam the door in their face. I opened the screen door and looked on in amused astonishment as this whole pimped-up scene unfolded before my very eyes. One of the little half-Asian boys - the one old enough to be out of a stroller - ran up to me and excitedly handed me a flyer and asked me in his cutest voice if I'd come to their next meeting for new members. Then, after the man had finished grilling me about what I think of God and telling me in this oddly seductive voice (seriously, he was a pro. Had I been at all questioning my beliefs I would have fallen into the trap) what God could do for me, I promised to be at the next meeting, took my flyer and pocket Bible and shut the door, stunned. It took a good ten minutes before I could even register the incredulousness of what had just happened.

Just to clarify, I didn't actually go to the meeting and never had any intention to do that lol. So yeah, that's how I deal with Jehovah's Witnesses lmao.

My extended family however, are very different. My atheist uncle calmly and sweetly with two elderly women until it was very clear they had no clue what they were talking about, whereas my mother's cousin opts to answer the door completely naked and time how long they stay after that lmao.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I just say yes to everything, pick up their pamphlets (so I can read them and have a good laugh after) and just close the door the instant they give me a split-second chance.

If they come back later asking for me, then I send my mom to tell them that sadly I'm not around and I'll probably never be again if they are the ones calling.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
Years
I have various ways of dealing with this, generally not answering but many times if we get Jehovas Witnesses I will say things like:

• "I'm a sodomite"
  • "I'm a satanist"
  • "I no speaking the English"
  • "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

I also just slam the door in their face or calmly tell them that I think the entire concept is ridiculous and that they should get off of my property this instant.
Just today a leaflet came through my door inviting my household to a "spiritual meeting" at the local Witness Lodge and I ran out the door, threw the paper at them and told them never to come back. Hopefully it will work.

Years
We usually just tell them to go away and that we're very satisfied with out own, non existent religion. There are two though which followed me home which has earned them the title of "David's stalker friends."
There are two sets of two people that are always hanging around outside of my college though which get's a bit annoying when I'm trying to get home and they stop me to talk about how god has a plan for everyone. It does get rather funny though when they talk to some of the borderline-extream Muslims though.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
I remember the first time I saw them, I had no idea what was going on, so I just politely accepted a flyer and listened. Then I went to my mom and was given <Evil word> for talking to them. She also wasn't too pleased when they came back a month later looking for me.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
If I encountered them, I'd joking ask dumb questions like "Who's God?" or "What would Jesus do if aliens invaded?" until they get angry and leave.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I had to deal with people like this all the time. Telling them that you're Jewish works about 95% of the time, for the particularly stubborn I tell them that they're violating my rights to practice my own religion.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I just politely tell them that I'm already a member of a church, accept their literature if they give it to me, then promptly throw it in the garbage once they leave.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I hate to bring back old threads but this interested me. I usually stand there and listen to what they have to say, and politely tell them I'm Catholic and they go away. Then I just throw anything they give me in the trash when they leave.

Back