• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Newly discovered Mayan calendar goes beyond 2012

Years
  • Looks like all the apocalypse theories just went out the window.

ht_mayan_mural_found_lpl_120511_wblog.jpg

Archaeologists, excavating the ninth-century Maya complex of Xultun in Guatemala, say they have found what may have been a workspace for the town's scribe. Paintings on the walls, they report, appear to include calculations related to the Maya calendar.

The researchers, writing in today's edition of the journal Science, say the calculations project 7,000 years into the future. There's no hint that the calendar ends on Dec. 21, 2012, despite popular belief.
    "Why would they go into those numbers if the world is going to come to an end this year?" said Anthony Aveni at Colgate University, a scholar of Maya astronomy and a co-author of the paper. "You could say a number that big at least suggests that time marches on."
    Some of the heiroglyphs, painted in red and black, appear to represent regular cycles charted by the Maya, say the researchers — the 365-day solar calendar, the 584-day cycle of the planet Venus and the 780-day cycle of Mars.

"For the first time we get to see what may be actual records kept by a scribe, whose job was to be official record keeper of a Maya community," said William Saturno of Boston University, the lead author, in a statement put out by the publishers of Science. "It's like an episode of TV's 'Big Bang Theory,' a geek math problem and they're painting it on the wall. They seem to be using it like a blackboard."
    Xultún was actually found almost a century ago, but not excavated until now. The structure in which the markings were found has three surviving plaster walls, say the researchers. On one wall is a painting of a king, wearing a headpiece with blue feathers.

Near him are numbers that correspond to previously-known cycles in the Maya calendar — and others that researchers had not seen before.

Saturno and his team say four long numbers on the wall represent one-third of a million to 2.5 million days — up to 7,000 years into the future from A.D. 813, a year scratched into the wall in another place.
    Saturno, like other scientists who have studied the Maya civilization, says the Maya appear not to have thought much, at least in their writings, about an end to the world.

"The ancient Maya predicted the world would continue, that 7,000 years from now, things would be exactly like this," Saturno said. "We keep looking for endings. The Maya were looking for a guarantee that nothing would change. It's an entirely different mindset."

Discuss!

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Well what do you think? Just like computers overflow at 65535 they might have a space limit...

But yeah, it's nice to hear that they had no real end-of-the-world bullcrap.

Now we should go predict Ragarnok. COME ON GUYS~

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Pssh, even without this disovery there could've been numerous reasons to why the calender ended when it did.

I still can't wait to see the internet, and the world for that matter, on December 22nd. It's obvious that people are still gonna believe that the world ends in 2012, no matter how much evidence to counter that theory that is thrown at them. Oh well, they are the ones who'll be laughed at after said date ;p

Dragonheart20

Eevee Lover
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2012
    was there ever any evidence that the mayans believed the world ended in 2012? as far as i was concerned, they probably took a pause before continuing their calendar. people just enjoy creating a huge deal over nothing, its always been like that for the media. but thats just my opinion, i could be wrong of course.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Guess this is another nail in the coffin for all of those Apocalypse Theories that have been rolling all over the place.

Really, those prophets should start thinking about another occupation for themselves, as I think people are getting tired of hearing those "end of the world" prophecies.

Years
  • I guess the Mayans ran out of toner when they were printing those new calendars. Now maybe all those fearmongers will shut up with this 2012 bullcrap and we can stop watching those shows about people preparing for the end of the world. Now bring me the head of Patrick Geryl!

Maybe I should change the title of my blog now.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I didn't believe it anyway but this just about confirms it, is there a date that it. Now we have to wait until it really ends and that will be the date for "Judgement Day"

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Finally this should make the conspiracy theorists and crazy peepz STFU.
    There's a bible verse that says that before the Rapture a lot of crazy people will claim to know the exact date, and so it's a test to see if they are hard and fast in the Word of God.

If you don't listen to them you'll be all set to go.

Lord V-Man

Casual modder
    Years
  • There once was this cray preacher who "predicted" the world was going to end on a specific day. That day came and he and some of his followers went up a mountain (or maybe a small hill would be a better description) to witness the apocalypse. It never happened. So the preacher claimed that he misinterpreted the signs and that it would happen the next year. This cycle went on for a few years and yet every time he would have attracted more followers, because they had the misconceived notion that every time he was wrong, he would have a better chance to be right the next time.

A whole bunch of nonsense yet people still believed it would happen, my point being: "No matter how many times you prove them wrong, the "crazy peeps" as they are being quite thoughtfully called on this forum will still try to fiddle their way around the facts...
    Instead of waiting for a scripted end of the world, they should better concern themselves with actual real life issues like: massive dormant volcanoes, global warming, earthquakes, ...

CapricornPsyche

Psychic Trainer of Capricorn
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 11, 2012
    HAHA yes! I knew that theory was bullcrap! 8D No human can ever predict when the end of humanity as we know it will happen. Only God knows...

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Baha, I knew this would happen. These crazy end of the wold threories are bogus. Someone will make up another end of the world theory and another. I dont really know why people bother to make this stuff up.

CapricornPsyche

Psychic Trainer of Capricorn
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 11, 2012
    I didn't believe in this whole 2012 thing to begin with anyway! Everyone who still believes in that crud needs to get a hobby!

New Hobby? More like they need to get a life period, I bet you that's all they probably think about is the end of Humanity...

Sir Codin

I already knew the whole world ending thing was hogwash.

Sorry, folks. The world isn't going to end in 2012 or anytime soon because we just aren't that lucky.

Korsola

エレクトロニック
    Years
  • When someone states that the world is going to end is only to get the media involved to create a "good" story and make a horrible movie to make money. You can't believe everything that the media says anymore lol. It's sad but that's how our society is these days.

Maybe a year after the whole "2012" date came up, I saw a show on some channel that was stating how the world was going to end in 2025. So, end of the world predictions are going to be with us for a long time if they keep getting the publicity that are getting. -_-

Years
  • Maybe a year after the whole "2012" date came up, I saw a show on some channel that was stating how the world was going to end in 2025. So, end of the world predictions are going to be with us for a long time if they keep getting the publicity that are getting. -_-

It's also possible that the world could end in 2036, or 2040. Issac Newton said the world will end in 2060. So, we will most likely never know.

However it's good to see more Mayan artifacts discovered though, for the sake of learning about the culture.

Back