• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Did You 'Give Up' on Your Starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
In my conflict, it's on my Emerald game. But, this goes for anyone, any games that you've played and decided to stop training your starter. Here's my story...
When I first got my Treecko, Gekki, I thought he was a pretty cool Pokemon. But, as we all know, we are, at the same time, going on a quest for the championship and also looking for pokemon and completing the pokedex. Well, I was good-going on the first Gym. Then, I headed to Dewford, and in Granite Cave, I caught my new starter, Crystal the Sableye. Training is all it takes to form an epic relationship with your pokemon, right? Well, eventually, I raised her past my starter's level and completed many gyms with her. And eventually, when I had to make room for one of my old Makuhitas (preparing for surf), I left Gekki, now a Grovyle, in the Vault, my second box for special pokemon. Or, as I call it, the lockbox, because they normally don't come out,and they're only for show off, such as rare pokemon and shines.
TA-DAAAAAAH.
I'm done.
Now you tell about yerself 'abandoning' your starter, or, if you haven't, what's your opinion?

motb777

Spriter
Years
Personally, I don't usually give up on my starter (they are very useful on your quest),
but when I do, it is because it's a grass type (weak ones) and that's the reason I choose the water starter (most powerfuls).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I gave up on my Empoleon in Platinum after beating Cynthia for the first time as I got my hands on a Lapras post game soon after beating the game and didn't see much of a use for my starter by that point.

Pinta77

Not usually. On my leafgreen, charizard was with me until the end. Then i lost is somewhere in the process of migrating. And on jupiter version(rom hack) my conflagoat(basically a combusken) is a lot better then the rest.

However on the ds games, i tend to give up on my starters. In diamond i never used turtwig, and in soul silver... Well i dont remember wht my starter was. I used a glacion and phione through out most of the game.

Khawill

<3
Years
I stayed with swampert and leveled him to 100. Kyogre, Delcatty, Flygon, Salamance, and Swellow was my team with Kyogre being exchanged for an egg or low level when I needed to grind the Elite 4

Years
On my most recent playthrough of Fire Red, I didn't necessarily abandon my Venusaur, but it was really just the 6th wheel on my team after about the 6th or 7th gym (I only really kept it around because of it's typing and it was a fairly high level). Other than, though, my starter has basically always been with me, at least in the gen III games.

Years
There has only been two times that I've given up on my starter. That was in Pokémon Yellow, and another time in Platinum Challenge.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
There's a thread about this that covers all games in PGC. Plus, people aren't answering this specific to RSE or FRLG, which is what this section is for, so yeah. Let's just use that other thread instead.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back