ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old March 15th, 2013 (12:40 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
    This is the Pokeroms.ini record for BPRE
    Code:
    [BPRE]
    Name            = Pokémon Fire Red (E)
    Language        = 0 'English! WOO!
    TrainerData     = &H23EAF1
    TrainerClasses  = &H23E558
    MonsterNames	= &H144
    ItemNames       = &H3DB028
    AttackNames     = &H247092 
    TrainerPics     = &H23957C
    TrainerPals     = &H239A1C
    TrainerPicCount = 147
    MonsterPics     = &H2350AC
    MonsterPals     = &H23730C
    MonsterPicCount = 440
    MapHeaders      = &H5524C
    Maps            = &H55194
    MapLabels       = &H3F1CAC
    RomType         = 1
    WorldMap        = kantomap.bmp
    HomeLevel       = &H0300
    AttackTable     = &H25D7B4
    AttackNameList  = &H2470A1
    SpriteBase      = &H3A3BB0
    SpriteColors    = &H36D828
    SpriteNormalSet = &H3A379C
    SpriteSmallSet  = &H3A3748
    SpriteLargeSet  = &H3A37F0
    FontGFX         = ???       <--- I need THE Tut doesn't specify
    FontWidths      = ???       <--- I need
    MusicList       = fr_songs.txt
    The tut doesn't specify which is FontGFX and which is FontWidths.
    I can't do the method in the tut because I dont know how to fix the image I exported.
    Okay, well the FontGFX would just be the location of the graphics for the fonts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hackrex
    1F5DF0, 201FF0, 212308, 222620

One Offset for Help Menu
    One for Ingame
    One for Intro
    One for Town Names, I think
    Now, I don't know about font width. This is either how many pixels wide a letter is, or how long the entire font is in total.

The largest letter I can see is the arrow and it has a width of 8 px. Try putting in 8 for the FontWidths. If that doesn't work, look at another game's ini sections and try what is labeled there. If it is an offset, find out what that offset is and find an equivilant one in FireRed.

By the way, in the tut, he is fixing the image simply by moveing the two halves of the letters together. The top and bottoms are split apart, so it makes it easier to edit if you out them back together.

Just checking on the intro thing; you did see Knizz's post in R&D, correct?

Edit: Also give 12 a try for the width. I just saw somthing that said GBA 12x12 font, might be what you are looking for.

Paired with Simba

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 15th, 2013 (2:39 PM).

Nature: Quirky
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
      Okay, well the FontGFX would just be the location of the graphics for the fonts.

Now, I don't know about font width. This is either how many pixels wide a letter is, or how long the entire font is in total.

The largest letter I can see is the arrow and it has a width of 8 px. Try putting in 8 for the FontWidths. If that doesn't work, look at another game's ini sections and try what is labeled there. If it is an offset, find out what that offset is and find an equivilant one in FireRed.

By the way, in the tut, he is fixing the image simply by moveing the two halves of the letters together. The top and bottoms are split apart, so it makes it easier to edit if you out them back together.

Just checking on the intro thing; you did see Knizz's post in R&D, correct?

Edit: Also give 12 a try for the width. I just saw somthing that said GBA 12x12 font, might be what you are looking for.
      Awww.... Looks like it need an offset. By the way, how do I look for the offset's equivalent in FireRed? The actual FontWidth offset is from Ruby: &H1E6594.

Old March 15th, 2013 (4:42 PM).
      STEAK!
      • Platinum Tier

Nature: Naughty
      Sorry for not being around for a few days. It seems that the Pokedex Location editor in Pokemon Game Editor does not support Emerald, but does support FireRed and Ruby. So no harm done. What I now have a question is changing other things with in the Pokedex. Like the Region Name from Kanto to something else. Would you have any experience or know how in this matter? I know it probably involves Hex Editing, but do you know where about to go changing that?

"You need to eat more meat!"
      Old March 15th, 2013 (5:34 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Alby4t5 View Post
        Sorry for not being around for a few days. It seems that the Pokedex Location editor in Pokemon Game Editor does not support Emerald, but does support FireRed and Ruby. So no harm done. What I now have a question is changing other things with in the Pokedex. Like the Region Name from Kanto to something else. Would you have any experience or know how in this matter? I know it probably involves Hex Editing, but do you know where about to go changing that?
        Where are you talking? Like on the map or regular speech? Regular speech can be done fairly easily (though buggy) with A-text.

Paired with Simba
        Old March 15th, 2013 (5:47 PM).
        STEAK!
        • Platinum Tier

Nature: Naughty
        Quote:
        Where are you talking? Like on the map or regular speech? Regular speech can be done fairly easily (though buggy) with A-text.
        I'm talking on the Map and inside the Pokedex.
        Old March 15th, 2013 (6:04 PM).

I still dont get the Map thingy, when i instert my tiles it's always buggy
          Old March 15th, 2013 (6:26 PM). Edited March 15th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Alby4t5 View Post
            I'm talking on the Map and inside the Pokedex.
            Well then, see if you can figure out if they are text or images. With images, all we will have to do is redraw them (the most likely choice) but if they're text, then we will might have to do some hex editing.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
            Awww.... Looks like it need an offset. By the way, how do I look for the offset's equivalent in FireRed? The actual FontWidth offset is from Ruby: &H1E6594.
            I have no clue how to find it. I looked at it in a hex editor for Ruby and it appears to be a set of 255 numbers, all in a row. These numbers are mostly 6's. I believe it is just the width of each character, all in a row. Try and match these numbers up to the letters in FontEd. When you find out how they correlate, try and create a list that would go with FR's font set and see if you can find that list.

Paired with Simba
            Old March 15th, 2013 (6:54 PM).

Quote:
              Well then, see if you can figure out if they are text or images. With images, all we will have to do is redraw them (the most likely choice) but if they're text, then we will might have to do some hex editing.

I have no clue how to find it. I looked at it in a hex editor for Ruby and it appears to be a set of 255 numbers, all in a row. These numbers are mostly 6's. I believe it is just the width of each character, all in a row. Try and match these numbers up to the letters in FontEd. When you find out how they correlate, try and create a list that would go with FR's font set and see if you can find that list.
              Okay thanks, I'll try it later.

Old March 16th, 2013 (12:20 AM).
              Banned

Well, one possibility is to copy the bytes that are located the offset of Ruby and try with the "search and replace" function to search these bytes in firered.

If its not found, make 2 screenshots, one of Ruby text and one of Firered text (take oaks intro for it or so) and compare the width.
                If smaller, try to replace the 6's with 5's and so on..
                Old March 16th, 2013 (5:50 AM).
                Beginning Hacker

Hi I'm trying to insert a self-made Pokémon into a US Version of FireRed, but all the tutorials I can find on this forum replace existing Pokémon, but I want to have all the 386 originals in my game, too.
                  The only optioun I found is to replace one of the 26 ?????? after Celebi, but how do I implement those in the ROM? Like with the givepokemon command, do I have to take 0x252 then? Because Celebi is 0x251 and Treecko is 0x277?
                  Old March 16th, 2013 (6:50 AM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Reygok View Post
                    Hi I'm trying to insert a self-made Pokémon into a US Version of FireRed, but all the tutorials I can find on this forum replace existing Pokémon, but I want to have all the 386 originals in my game, too.
                    The only optioun I found is to replace one of the 26 ?????? after Celebi, but how do I implement those in the ROM? Like with the givepokemon command, do I have to take 0x252 then? Because Celebi is 0x251 and Treecko is 0x277?
                    Exactly, the only problem is the only way to obtain them is through evolution, breeding, the givepokemon command. Any other way and the game will crash due to them not having Pokédex entries.

By the way, there is a way to expand the number of Pokémon. Jambo51 is doing it on 649 base. However it requires a lot of knowledge and experience, deffinately not for a beginnier or even intermediete. I haven't even attempted it yet because it is so intimidating.

Paired with Simba
                    Old March 16th, 2013 (7:11 AM).
                    Beginning Hacker

Thanks for your answer, but I think i'm doing something wrong, because when I want to see the stats of my new pokémon, the screen fades to black and stay there. In Nameless Sprite Editor, it shows the sprite correctly.
                      Old March 16th, 2013 (7:31 AM).

Quote:
                        Thanks for your answer, but I think i'm doing something wrong, because when I want to see the stats of my new pokémon, the screen fades to black and stay there. In Nameless Sprite Editor, it shows the sprite correctly.
                        Don't use Nameless for Pokémon sprites, Wichu's Advance Series is much better for those particular ones. Also, make sure you have done everything in YAPE too. Lastly, repoint all of the sprites for those whenever possible, including the icons.

Paired with Simba
                        Old March 16th, 2013 (10:29 AM).

Hey Guys! Quick question here: was wondering if there was non-hex editing way to change the name of BILL'S PC in Firered? And if there isn't, perhaps a quick pointer on how this would be done (from my very limited hex editing knowledge, this shouldn't be too hard, I imagine). Thanks!
                          Old March 16th, 2013 (11:19 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by ArthurWaine View Post
                            Hey Guys! Quick question here: was wondering if there was non-hex editing way to change the name of BILL'S PC in Firered? And if there isn't, perhaps a quick pointer on how this would be done (from my very limited hex editing knowledge, this shouldn't be too hard, I imagine). Thanks!
                            A-Text would be the non-hex editor way to go. It can be buggy though.

To do it with Hex editing, download GoldFinger Hex Editor and a .tbl text file. This will allow you to read the text. Then load both the .tbl and FireRed into GoldFinger and search for your text. Then edit it. If you need more room, you will have to repoint the text.

Paired with Simba
                            Old March 16th, 2013 (3:43 PM). Edited March 16th, 2013 by iDowngrade.

Guys, how do i edit existing ingame scripts?
                              I need to remove the oak starting part of fire red, thanks.

And what's the script for a box that asks me instead of just yes/no...
                              Custom options, like

Instead of yes no
                              Hum...
                              Ho-oh or lugia
                              Old March 16th, 2013 (4:20 PM).
                              Beginning Hacker

iDowngrade, read http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276
                                In there, nearly everything about scripting is explained.

My question: I need a new offset for my new pokémon's moveset, how much space do I need?

Thanks in advance for all answers
                                Reygok
                                Old March 16th, 2013 (4:35 PM).
                                Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
                                  Quote:
                                  My question: I need a new offset for my new pokémon's moveset, how much space do I need?

Reygok
                                  There are more than 256 different moves in Gen III games. And what I refer this by is that 0x100 as hexadecimal number stands for 256 in decimal. And in other words, we can't describe all the moves by just using one single byte, we need another (or at least part of it).

So basically, each move takes 2 bytes space. And pokemon's level value is only (at maximum) one byte long (which it most likely is) so there could be a structure such as this one built in the game for each pokemon:
                                  [Level] [Move parameter 1] [Move parameter 2] [Level] [Move parameter 1] [Move parameter 2] [Level] ...

So each move takes three bytes, the level the pokemon learns the certain move at along with two bytes describing the move the pokemon learns. So if you for example make a certain pokemon learn 10 different moves, that takes (10 * 3 = ) 30 bytes (and 0x1E bytes in hex).
                                  And if that move data would be stored in offset 0x740005 in the rom for instance, the move data would end at offset 0x740005 + 0x1E - 0x1 = 0x740022

Spoiler:

Why did I subtract 0x1 from (0x740005 + 0x1E) there? Well the logic is exactly the same as in this following example.

Think about reading pages 1 and 2 of a certain book. How many pages have you read? 2-1 = 1 ? No, you've read 2 pages, or 2-1 + 1 pages.

This whole thing is just an assumption because I don't know if the structure really is like that. But you can easily check it out with a hex editor by looking for the move learning data of a certain pokemon.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                                  CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                                  -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                                  Old March 16th, 2013 (5:35 PM).

Quote:
                                    iDowngrade, read http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276
                                    In there, nearly everything about scripting is explained.

Reygok
                                    Did you even read my question?
                                    None of that information had anything to be with it
                                    Old March 16th, 2013 (6:05 PM). Edited March 16th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by iDowngrade View Post
                                      Guys, how do i edit existing ingame scripts?
                                      I need to remove the oak starting part of fire red, thanks.

And what's the script for a box that asks me instead of just yes/no...
                                      Custom options, like

Instead of yes no
                                      Hum...
                                      Ho-oh or lugia
                                      1. Most ingame scripts can be found in A-Map which will open it if you define a script editor in the options menu.

2. You are looking to create a new multi-choice box. I haven't looked much into this but I know that there are a bunch of preset ones that can be edited with a couple programs in the Toolbox. I also believe you can create your own, but I haven't needed to yet, so I don't know how to.

Edit: Multi-choice boxes are included in diegoisawesome's tut (well, not how to make new ones, maybe in part 3 which I didn't search yet) so don't get snippy with Reygok. I constantly refer back to that tut, in fact I downloaded it. I also noticed that there is a few preset multi-choice boxes listed in the tut that are blank. Use one of the tools to edit them.

Edit2: Nope, nothing on making your own, so just edit one of the blank ones.

Paired with Simba
                                      Old March 16th, 2013 (6:11 PM). Edited March 16th, 2013 by iDowngrade.

Ok guys i keep getting the floating pointer thingy and i cant see the missing pointer

Script
                                        Spoiler:
                                        #org $multitest
                                        lock
                                        faceplayer
                                        checkflag 0x1300
                                        if 0x01 goto $given
                                        msgbox2 $message
                                        waitmsgbox2
                                        multi 0x0 0x0 0x26 0x0
                                        copyvar 0x8000 LASTRESULT
                                        compare 0x8000 0
                                        if 1 goto $vaporeon
                                        compare 0x8000 1
                                        if 1 goto $jolteon
                                        compare 0x8000 2
                                        if 1 goto $flareon
                                        compare 0x8000 3
                                        if 1 goto $espeon
                                        compare 0x8000 4
                                        if 1 goto $umbreon
                                        compare 0x8000 5
                                        if 1 goto $eevee
                                        compare 0x8000 6
                                        if 1 goto $exit
                                        compare 0x8000 7
                                        release
                                        end

#org $vaporeon
                                        setvar 0x8005 0x1
                                        vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                        message $vapdog
                                        $vapdog 1 = Oh, so da WATER doggie!\nVaporeon!, there we go!
                                        boxset 0x6
                                        givepokemon 134 5 0x00
                                        setflag 0x1300
                                        release
                                        end

#org $jolteon
                                        setvar 0x8005 0x2
                                        vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                        message $joltdog
                                        $joltdog 1 = Oh, so da THUNDER doggie!\nJolteon!, there we go!
                                        boxset 0x6
                                        givepokemon 135 5 0x00
                                        setflag 0x1300
                                        release
                                        end

#org $flareon
                                        setvar 0x8005 0x3
                                        vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                        message $flamedog
                                        $flamedog 1 = Oh, so da FIRE doggie!\nFlareon!, there we go!
                                        boxset 0x6
                                        givepokemon 136 5 0x00
                                        setflag 0x1300
                                        release
                                        end

#org $espeon
                                        setvar 0x8005 0x4
                                        vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                        message $psydog
                                        $psydog 1 = Oh, so da PSYCHIC doggie!\nEspeon!, there we go!
                                        boxset 0x6
                                        givepokemon 196 5 0x00
                                        setflag 0x1300
                                        release
                                        end

#org $umbreon
                                        setvar 0x8005 0x5
                                        vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                        message $darkdog
                                        $darkdog 1 = Oh, so da DARK doggie!\nUmbreon!, there we go!
                                        boxset 0x6
                                        givepokemon 197 5 0x00
                                        setflag 0x1300
                                        release
                                        end

#org $eevee
                                        setvar 0x8005 0x6
                                        vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                        message $doggie
                                        $doggie 1 = Not sure yet about your doggie?\nThen Eevee is your choice!\pThere we go!
                                        boxset 0x6
                                        givepokemon 197 5 0x00
                                        setflag 0x1300
                                        release
                                        end

#org $exit
                                        setvar 0x8005 0x7
                                        vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                        message $okie
                                        $okie 1 = Remember you get one choice.\nAnyways, you can always\pPick an EEVEE and then\nEvolve it later!
                                        boxset 0x6
                                        release
                                        end

+Thanks Karate, youre always there to help!

EDIT: I keep getting Invalid Command while opening a script!
                                        Old March 16th, 2013 (6:19 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by iDowngrade View Post
                                          Ok guys i keep getting the floating pointer thingy and i cant see the missing pointer

Script
                                          Spoiler:
                                          #org $multitest
                                          lock
                                          faceplayer
                                          checkflag 0x1300
                                          if 0x01 goto $given
                                          msgbox2 $message
                                          waitmsgbox2
                                          multi 0x0 0x0 0x26 0x0
                                          copyvar 0x8000 LASTRESULT
                                          compare 0x8000 0
                                          if 1 goto $vaporeon
                                          compare 0x8000 1
                                          if 1 goto $jolteon
                                          compare 0x8000 2
                                          if 1 goto $flareon
                                          compare 0x8000 3
                                          if 1 goto $espeon
                                          compare 0x8000 4
                                          if 1 goto $umbreon
                                          compare 0x8000 5
                                          if 1 goto $eevee
                                          compare 0x8000 6
                                          if 1 goto $exit
                                          compare 0x8000 7
                                          release
                                          end

#org $vaporeon
                                          setvar 0x8005 0x1
                                          vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                          message $vapdog
                                          $vapdog 1 = Oh, so da WATER doggie!\nVaporeon!, there we go!
                                          boxset 0x6
                                          givepokemon 134 5 0x00
                                          setflag 0x1300
                                          release
                                          end

#org $jolteon
                                          setvar 0x8005 0x2
                                          vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                          message $joltdog
                                          $joltdog 1 = Oh, so da THUNDER doggie!\nJolteon!, there we go!
                                          boxset 0x6
                                          givepokemon 135 5 0x00
                                          setflag 0x1300
                                          release
                                          end

#org $flareon
                                          setvar 0x8005 0x3
                                          vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                          message $flamedog
                                          $flamedog 1 = Oh, so da FIRE doggie!\nFlareon!, there we go!
                                          boxset 0x6
                                          givepokemon 136 5 0x00
                                          setflag 0x1300
                                          release
                                          end

#org $espeon
                                          setvar 0x8005 0x4
                                          vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                          message $psydog
                                          $psydog 1 = Oh, so da PSYCHIC doggie!\nEspeon!, there we go!
                                          boxset 0x6
                                          givepokemon 196 5 0x00
                                          setflag 0x1300
                                          release
                                          end

#org $umbreon
                                          setvar 0x8005 0x5
                                          vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                          message $darkdog
                                          $darkdog 1 = Oh, so da DARK doggie!\nUmbreon!, there we go!
                                          boxset 0x6
                                          givepokemon 197 5 0x00
                                          setflag 0x1300
                                          release
                                          end

#org $eevee
                                          setvar 0x8005 0x6
                                          vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                          message $doggie
                                          $doggie 1 = Not sure yet about your doggie?\nThen Eevee is your choice!\pThere we go!
                                          boxset 0x6
                                          givepokemon 197 5 0x00
                                          setflag 0x1300
                                          release
                                          end

#org $exit
                                          setvar 0x8005 0x7
                                          vardisplay 0 0x8005
                                          message $okie
                                          $okie 1 = Remember you get one choice.\nAnyways, you can always\pPick an EEVEE and then\nEvolve it later!
                                          boxset 0x6
                                          release
                                          end

+Thanks Karate, youre always there to help!
                                          ARE YOU USING POKESCRIPT???? Wow... Okay... What is the exact error message as I am not familiar with the errors in Pokescript?

Also, if your are going to shorten my username, use "kid", karate is just weird....:p haha, you're welcome.

Paired with Simba
                                          Old March 16th, 2013 (6:47 PM).
                                          Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
                                            I have a question. Hope someone can answer!

Pokemon Ruby: When I step into a map, the "name" of the map doesn't come down onto the screen when I enter into the map (In-game). Does anybody know why this is happening? Thank you in advance.
                                            Old March 16th, 2013 (7:58 PM).
                                            BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                                              I have a question. Hope someone can answer!

Pokemon Ruby: When I step into a map, the "name" of the map doesn't come down onto the screen when I enter into the map (In-game). Does anybody know why this is happening? Thank you in advance.
                                              Can you make your question clearer?

Old March 16th, 2013 (11:53 PM).
                                              Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
                                                Hey guys, just wondering something.
                                                So, I create a new item in one of the blanks spots. Specifically between Stick "0xE1" and Red Scarf "0xFE"
                                                Then, I make an NPC give the item with giveitem. But nothing happens.
                                                If anyone can help explain why this is, it would be greatly appreciated.
                                                Living Pokedex Complete: LG, E, Pl, Y, OR, M
                                                Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
                                                Closed Thread
                                                Quick Reply

Sponsored Links