• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
jiggly4wqt8.png

Whole comic.
I really can't take this seriously because fairies kill dragons and now I'm thinking of Pokémon being some magical story world full of dragons and princes and wonderland creatures and ogres. Aka, Shrek: The Game.

Seriously though, I don't feel like having Fairy as a type makes very much sense. The others so far are okay; all based off real, general things with plenty of space for imagination (minus Dragon - but Dragon is badass anyway. Although honestly I always felt there to be a big lack of variation between Dragon types as it was) but this just feels so... restricting to me. What even qualifies as a fairy? When I think "fairy" I think something like Tinkerbell; a human form with wings and a magic wand. Either that or Navi from the LoZ games; in any case, something bright and flying with sparkles and fairy dust and other stuff like that. I really don't get why they felt they needed to bring a new type in, and honestly given some of the confirmed Fairy Pokémon (Gardevoir, Sylveon, Marill?) it feels like they're just chucking the type at... well, anything they can. I don't see what exactly makes these guys 'fairies' - mainly given that they're trying to build a type here off something which doesn't actually exist. I had the same issue with Dragons; they were cool but the actual typing made zero sense due to the lack of dragons in the real world. I never understood the logic behind dragons being weak to... well... dragons.

And regarding dragons - I'm glad that I'm not the only person who feels that the whole point of this type is to check Dragon-types. Which, honestly, wasn't worth a whole new type imo (and especially not when the fairy being strong against dragon thing makes no sense in the first place). They could've just introduced some better Ice-types, some sort of anti-Dragon items or moves or etc, but nahhh. They had to go screw everything up by throwing a whole new type which, as I keep saying, is in itself not possible to categorise due to it not existing in the first place.

...tl;dr I don't like it. I feel it's a really messy type due to the fact that it's impossible to say, with any solid reasoning, what a fairy is or what its advantages and disadvantages are and they could have done the same job by being more inventive in other areas.
Holy hyperbole batman! This post is a great example on how some take a video game franchise TOO seriouesly.

Your first mistake is wanting to apply realism to a game about catching monsters and putting them in your pocket so they can dogfight later. This is the same series where the reason Bug type is stronger than Dark is because it's all a reference to Kamen riders. Is Kamen Rider real? Of course not. Unless you believe in Power Rangers.

Trying to be logical will get you no where. Balance is first and always was. Typing doesn't have to make any sense. Why the hell is Haxorus, a Dinosaur, a Dragon type? Actually why is there a Dinosaur in the game? They're extinct! Oh, well they're badass so it doesn't matter! And why is Rhydon a Rock type? Last I checked Rhinoceroses are actually made of flesh, not rock. And the list goes on.

This is a GOOD decision GF made. I welcome a new type, especially if it nerfs Dragons, regardless if it's called "Fairy". (Lots of decisions here aren't any better either. Light? Magic? Divine? lol) You wanted Pokemon to be manly or something? Get out of here. Honestly if the reason why fairies are stronger than dragons is because of fairy tales then that's a pretty nice and cute little detail, and is completely in line with what Pokemon is.

Besides, fairies always existed in the series.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
People think that the pokemon in the fairy egg group will all get the fairy type....

I think it's more likely that the fairy egg group will be renamed so as not to be confused with the new type. I could see Clefairy and Snubbul having their classifications altered too. After all I don't think there's such a thing as "The Dragon Pokemon" or "The Water Pokemon". Clefairy might become "The Moon Pokemon" and Snubbul "The bulldog pokemon". They would probably still be retconned to fairy type though.

Not all Pokemon in the Dragon breed group are dragon types. two dragon types aren't in the dragon breed group. The breed group and type aren't really related so there's not mych chance that the fairy egg group is changing nor does that mean all pokemon in the egg group are going to be Fairy type.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I really can't take this seriously because fairies kill dragons and now I'm thinking of Pokémon being some magical story world full of dragons and princes and wonderland creatures and ogres. Aka, Shrek: The Game.

Seriously though, I don't feel like having Fairy as a type makes very much sense. The others so far are okay; all based off real, general things with plenty of space for imagination (minus Dragon - but Dragon is badass anyway. Although honestly I always felt there to be a big lack of variation between Dragon types as it was) but this just feels so... restricting to me. What even qualifies as a fairy? When I think "fairy" I think something like Tinkerbell; a human form with wings and a magic wand. Either that or Navi from the LoZ games; in any case, something bright and flying with sparkles and fairy dust and other stuff like that. I really don't get why they felt they needed to bring a new type in, and honestly given some of the confirmed Fairy Pokémon (Gardevoir, Sylveon, Marill?) it feels like they're just chucking the type at... well, anything they can. I don't see what exactly makes these guys 'fairies' - mainly given that they're trying to build a type here off something which doesn't actually exist. I had the same issue with Dragons; they were cool but the actual typing made zero sense due to the lack of dragons in the real world. I never understood the logic behind dragons being weak to... well... dragons.

And regarding dragons - I'm glad that I'm not the only person who feels that the whole point of this type is to check Dragon-types. Which, honestly, wasn't worth a whole new type imo (and especially not when the fairy being strong against dragon thing makes no sense in the first place). They could've just introduced some better Ice-types, some sort of anti-Dragon items or moves or etc, but nahhh. They had to go screw everything up by throwing a whole new type which, as I keep saying, is in itself not possible to categorise due to it not existing in the first place.

...tl;dr I don't like it. I feel it's a really messy type due to the fact that it's impossible to say, with any solid reasoning, what a fairy is or what its advantages and disadvantages are and they could have done the same job by being more inventive in other areas.
Again not all fairies necessary looked like humans, some legends even talk about dog like fairies and the such.

Also Dragons being against Dragons makes sense as they are said to have hard skin, which most things can't break through which is reflected more in their typing than in their stats xD. Dragon though have sharp claws said to be able to rip another dragon apart so it makes sense...
Even in manga such as Fairy Tail the dragon slayers and dragons are the only ones who seem to be able to actually do some damage on dragons.

Anyways I don't think we should dish on Fairy type as Dragon's themselves are equally fantastical. And if I didn't know about Japanese thinking of Sea horses as baby Dragons I would be in shock as to why Kingdra is one.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Ok, is there anything to justify this new type emerging? Why did it emerge?

Q - Will there be a story reason why Fairy-type will all of a sudden exist?
A - When we first decided we wanted to bring the type into the world, we wanted to find a way to balance the stength of the Dragon type. But no one wants us to weaken the Dragon-type Pokemon, so we decided to come up with something that could go against a Dragon, so that's why we came up with the Fairy-type.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Not all Pokemon in the Dragon breed group are dragon types. two dragon types aren't in the dragon breed group. The breed group and type aren't really related so there's not mych chance that the fairy egg group is changing nor does that mean all pokemon in the egg group are going to be Fairy type.

Adding to my earlier post for Sabrewolf: horsea is "the dragon pokemon". They won't change species name just cause of a new type just as they wouldn't change the egg group.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Q - Will there be a story reason why Fairy-type will all of a sudden exist?
A - When we first decided we wanted to bring the type into the world, we wanted to find a way to balance the stength of the Dragon type. But no one wants us to weaken the Dragon-type Pokemon, so we decided to come up with something that could go against a Dragon, so that's why we came up with the Fairy-type.
Story-wise, it wouldn't be hard to introduce Fairy-types as they can claim it as a new discovery in the games. That being said, I am curious to know how they'll handle explaining the old Pokémon having their types changed after so many years or if they'll just shrug it off and pretend like it was always that way.

thedhp

TheDavidPearson
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Oct 21, 2016
I'm betting it will be a lot like the introduction of dark and steel. They made a huge deal about steel being a new discovery, but didn't ever say much about dark.

they could always say something like, "We understand the nature of Jigglypuff better now..." or something like that. It'll be easy.

blue

gucci
Years
Just thinking bout it, anyone think Munna will be part Fairy Type? It has all the characteristics to fall into that category i guess.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
I actually enjoy the Idea alot, it's going to be cool to see how the past generations change to meet up with the new game. If some rumors are true, and Xerenas is Fairy/Steel and Yvetal is Dark/Dragon It would seem Xerenas would have the edge in that match-up.

blue

gucci
Years
Agreeing with Xander's post, that and because I don't really foresee Pokemon like Roserade or Breloom having any of their types changed, because they need both of their STABs.

Well both Roserade and Breloom are already occupied with a second typing, so in order for them to become part Fairy type they would have to lose their secondary typing. Besides Roserade and Breloom don't really fit into the Fairy category imo.

Years
Hm, since the fairy evolution of Evee came out i throught it was fairy.

Im from germany and it german its named Feelinara -> Fee = Fairy =)

Same with the other evolutions.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
New Mewtwo form:

Fairy-Psychic anyone?

That's what I'm guessing, too. If that's the case, then I might not hate the new form so much, because it turns Mewtwo into a STAB Dragon-killer! That would be such a treat for me, cause I hate dragon-types for the most part.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
New Mewtwo form:

Fairy-Psychic anyone?

Maybe even a dual-type Psychic/Fairy?? Would be pretty neat (:
I'm still anxious to see how Fairy will change the Type Chart around...

And i wonder if Pokemon like Jigglypuff will lose their normal typing?
Anyone??

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Maybe a new type to deal against Dark/Ghost type combination
Then that would make the only two pokemon who have the type anymore useless, their absence of weakness being the only reason they are used. Sableye is statistically weak and Spiritomb doesn't have enough power to counter them due to its weak offense.

ZoruaCup30

A She-Wolf In Disguise
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
While I was hoping for Sylveon to be a dragon or love type, my only problem with this is I think "Magic Type" would be a better name, but it sounds too much like psychic...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Maybe even a dual-type Psychic/Fairy?? Would be pretty neat (:
I'm still anxious to see how Fairy will change the Type Chart around...

And i wonder if Pokemon like Jigglypuff will lose their normal typing?
Anyone??

Jigglypuff was already shown as Normal/Fairy. So it and most likely all other will have the type added rather than retyping. Doesn't bode confidence for those that are Dual Typed already.

Years
Why is fairy not effective against steel? I feel like nothing can damage steel. It's kinda rigged. Anyways I feel like fairy will be cool since it adds some needed types to explain some pokemon.

Back