• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Motion Control and Virtual Reality

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Motion Control and Virtual Reality

With the release of the concept of Project Morpheus by Sony in March of 2014 this year, Sony has entered the fray in the virtual reality scene. Around the same time, Facebook had recently bought out the Oculus Rift to enter the virtual gaming scene as well. These actions are coming off of a slew of new directions that video games has recently gone down, most recently from the concept of motion control. However, one can argue whether these new things are really necessary. What is your opinion on motion control and the concept of virtual reality in video gaming? Do you think that Sony and Facebook are making the right moves by entering this realm of gaming? Do you think that this will be the future of gaming? What do you think could be better about these concepts by looking at the successes and failures of the Wii, Xbox Kinect, and PlayStation Move?

Discuss!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'm totally cool with well-executed motion controls.

VR though... I don't know. I think the tech itself is intriguing. But I don't particularly want to escape reality, even as entertainment.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Will we be enjoying Farmville on Oculus Rift soon?

Nah, but seriously, they're a little gimmicky for me; there's definitely a spot for them in the gaming industry, but I wouldn't say they're the future of gaming. I do own a Kinect and the Just Dance games are hilarious at parties, but I don't think motion control will ever replace "traditional" controllers for the majority of games.

As for virtual reality, I haven't really seen a lot of Oculus Rift because it didn't really interest me, but I have to admit the Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes thing is a cool use of VR, I'd like to try it.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
    VR has never really impressed me... To me, games should be viewed on a screen, not through a device that immerses the player into the game world. While the technology has undoubted improved, I feel like it'll just be another eye strainer like the Virtual Boy was (and, that was pretty bad). I mean, heck, even the 3DS strains your eyes after a while and all you're doing is looking "inward" to a 3D world.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    Really? Gaming scene? Facebook?
    Oculus will be new way how to "enjoy" social sites ;)
    It won't have anything to do with gaming imo.

Zuckerberg on the Oculus Rift, via his Facebook account:

"Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this."

He goes on to say that they'll be expanding on this to make the Oculus Rift even more immersive beyond the gaming realm, but they are focusing on video games with this as it's intended purpose.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I'm a big fan of the idea of Virtual Reality, but...

...I really don't like the phrase "Virtual Reality" being applied to things like the Oculus Rift. It's not what the concept of Virtual Reality was meant to describe and, while it may be a stepping stone towards VR, I don't think I'd consider it the same thing. It's kind of like the difference between .Hack and Sword Art Online. Dot Hack uses these goggle-esque apparatus that are similar to the Oculus Rift. You can use your monitor, too, but those make for the more immersive experience. Sword Art Online, on the other hand, actually puts you into the game. You wear a device, but you'll essentially be in another world.

Dot Hack is immersive, but I'd say Sword Art is VR. In that sense of VR, the idea blows me away and could change the way the world works, as well as presenting new opportunities for gaming as well as shopping and other entertainment. VR, as a concept, always seemed like the coolest thing to me, and I'd no doubt be interested in being placed inside a game.

As far as immersive headgear goes, it can be nice. I'd love to use the Oculus Rift for games like Mirror's Edge, but I'm not sure if I would buy it unless I just had some money laying around. Having said that, if a .Hack VRMMO came out or a .Hack game came out requiring the headgear, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Years
    Neither motion control nor virtual reality have been ideas that I personally am interested in; I appreciate the advances towards developing technology that could enhance games for the players, but I still like to retain the traditional aspects like using an actual controller. It's one of the reasons why, despite being a Nintendo fan, I never invested in the Wii because of the motion stick that it uses. And in regards to VR, I feel like it would make me motion sick because even playing for long periods of time on a console can give me headaches @.@ Although I have to admit, I like the idea of the SAO game interface.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Neither motion control nor virtual reality have been ideas that I personally am interested in; I appreciate the advances towards developing technology that could enhance games for the players, but I still like to retain the traditional aspects like using an actual controller.

My feelings exactly. I have a feeling VR would make me motion sick, too. D:

I still find it interesting, but it's not something I'd want to use. Though I don't mind a teensy bit of motion control - in Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, I find myself using motion controls more often than the stick when I'm aiming the bow/hookshot/etc. But the main controls? A real controller or mouse/keyboard, please.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Zuckerberg on the Oculus Rift, via his Facebook account:

"Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this."

He goes on to say that they'll be expanding on this to make the Oculus Rift even more immersive beyond the gaming realm, but they are focusing on video games with this as it's intended purpose.
    I still don't buy that... if that was the plan, why selling it to Facebook? (Yea, I know, because FB offered ♥♥♥♥ing 2 billions)
    They could just sell it to Microsoft so they could have countermeasure against Orpheus...
    Well... I don't really care either way but if it actually was for gaming it could raise the competition and Orpheus would be even better.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I still don't buy that... if that was the plan, why selling it to Facebook? (Yea, I know, because FB offered ♥♥♥♥ing 2 billions)
    They could just sell it to Microsoft so they could have countermeasure against Orpheus...
    Well... I don't really care either way but if it actually was for gaming it could raise the competition and Orpheus would be even better.
    I think you're putting too much faith in the Orpheus. Just because it's called the Orpheus doesn't mean it'll be too great, especially considering how little we know about it.

Besides, it's not like the Rift has shown to be worse yet, and there's little reason to think that it being sold to FB will make it worse (if anything, it'll make it cheaper). While there are many other companies I would have chosen instead, deriding Facebook because it's Facebook isn't too good of an idea.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I was (and kind of still am) betting on Oculus Rift to change a lot of things. I look forward to playing games like HL2 and its sequels in VR; I think there's a lot of potential for games that are heavy on atmosphere. I'm pretty excited despite the Facebook acquisition and I think it's going to be great.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    ...are both gimmicks that gaming could do without. Motion control is stupid as most people got sick with the wii's controls and the PS move and Kinect feel like wastes of time. Virtual Reality is kind-of cook but is about a practical as a house made out of newspaper. The motion sickness that people can get with it ruins, plus strapping some huge googles onto you after a hard day just doesn't seem relaxing or comfortable.

I really just want to pick up a controller and relax, so these 'innovations' just overcomplicate the experience for me.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    When it comes to Project Morpheus, I don't think you can use a company's track record to decide whether or not it's going to be executed well. Just look back at Microsoft's Kinect; they had a pretty good run when it came to executing on gaming features, but I believe it's safe to say that the Kinect overall was a big flop.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    When it comes to Project Morpheus, I don't think you can use a company's track record to decide whether or not it's going to be executed well. Just look back at Microsoft's Kinect; they had a pretty good run when it came to executing on gaming features, but I believe it's safe to say that the Kinect overall was a big flop.
    Microsoft was bad on console gaming scene from the start...

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
    Microsoft was bad on console gaming scene from the start...

Let me retract that statment for a sec. At the beginning yeah, they were pretty bad: a lot of technical glitches, red ring of death, etc; something that many people expect when a new console comes out. However, the console in whole fostered a pretty good community setting when it came to games. Alas, it's unfair really to compare both consoles because it depends on the style of gamer you are: the PS3 has Blu-Ray capabilities, a user upgradable hard drive, and cross platform compatibility with PlayStation Vita, while Xbox has SmartGlass, backwards compatibility with most original Xbox titles, more ports and AV outputs, and official support for transportable game save. It's all really on preference.

Back