• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Jam: Dungeon Dash!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Game Jam: Dungeon Dash!

Welcome to the Game Jam! For those who don't know, a game jam is an event in which you have just a little time in which to make a playable game. This jam is open to both game developers and ROM hackers, both teams and individuals.

Your task is to design and create a small playable game that contains exactly one dungeon (and perhaps a small intro map). Don't worry about making a complete stand-alone game with a start and end, and don't worry about a story. We're just interested in the dungeon.

What is a dungeon? It's a single location (a cave, building, ship, space station, test chamber, whatever) that you enter and make your way through. There is traditionally a boss or some significant thing that happens at the end, but sometimes not. There are no limitations on the kind or size of dungeon you make, other than it being a single place for the player to make their way through. Be creative!

There is no limitation on the kind of game you can make either. It could be a Pokémon game, or it might not be. It might feature battles against monsters/people/robots, it might not. It's most likely going to be an electronic game, though, but if you can come up with a dungeon in some other game format, have at it! Remember that it should be playable, though; simply designing something isn't good enough.

How to jam:

• This Game Jam is open for the whole of the Get Together period. It's open now and lasts until the end of July 12th.
  • In that time, make a game which includes a dungeon (and as little other stuff as possible).
  • This jam is open to teams and individuals. You can use any means available to make your game.
  • The game doesn't have to be a Pokémon game.
  • When you've finished, post a link to the download in this thread.
  • Give credit where credit is due!

For jamming:

There will be no judging of games, and no winners or runners-up. This event is for fun only!

All game-makers will receive a participation emblem. There may also be special awards to hand out...

Not to be confused with:

The Speedhack Marathon. That is for ROM hacking only, and is being judged.

CSS credit goes to Endless.

Years
I have completed my entry.

Description:
It's a short and simple dungeon which is designed to be one of the first dungeons the player goes to in a game.

The fighting style is similar to the GameBoy/GameBoy Advance Zelda games in which there is no battle scene but rather you fight while you run around.

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jionl81ee4p800e/PC GT11 - Dungeon Dash.zip

Credits:
  • Umbreon - Creator of dungeon.
  • Blizzard - For creating the Blizz ABS example game "The Chronicles of Sir Lags a lot" which is what this game is based off of.
  • Enterbrain - For creating RPG Maker XP and for providing the resources that come along with it by default.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Wow, three entries! You were only given a week, and yet you managed to make something, even while there were all kinds of other things to do in this Get Together. That's impressive. Well done! I look forward to playing them all.

Feel free to make threads for your games in the Game Development section.

Now, though, this event is closed.

There's another Game Jam event happening in a week if you're interested...

Years
Meh mine isn't that great, i didn't have that much time.

I played the other 2, both were great, especially Umbreons.

Years
Really? Mine was good? I thought it'd be the worst since I fell asleep and forgot about it and just did a sloppy job within 4 hours.

I found it really good. Maybe too many monsters, but otherwise it was a really good dungeon.

Roxannes was a bit bland. Most of the time you were just walking down long empty hallways and getting random encounters.

Mine was rushed because i didn't have a lot of time, maybe i will recreate it to actually make it what i wanted it to be. It's really terrible at the moment.

Years
Well that's true. I'll get to playing your entry in a bit when I'm on my laptop again. I've already played through the other entry (sorry to whoever made it, I'm not good with names and it's a pain to scroll up on my phone)

You can wait to play my entry when i recreate it. I need to add dead ends, chests and maybe decorations, and i guess the dungeon could be bigger.

Back