• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Languages

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    I'm Filipino, but I can only understand 90%ish, but barely talk it. It's the fact that I have trouble remembering certain words mixed with the fact my grammar is completely wack that doesn't help much.

I studied Chinese for a year and studied French for a couple of years more during primary, a little bit of German and Spanish, but I barely remember any of it unfortunately.
    English is really the only thing I'm completely fluent in since its my native language.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    I'm fluent in English, Russian, Spanish, and Italian. I know a bit of Ukrainian, but not enough to say I can hold a conversation.

Years
    I speak 3 languages. I'm quite content with it. But I wouldn't mind learning one more.

Years
    I speak English fluently, know enough Spanish to hold a conversation, know enough Japanese to talk to a small Japanese toddler if they spoke slowly, and a tiny bit of French, but not enough to really matter.

I want to become fluent in Japanese, Mandarin, Russian, and French in the future.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    I'm fluent in Spanish, English and, to a lesser extent, Portuguese. I'm currently learning German.

I love learning and speaking new languages.

Years
    I can speak/listen fluently in English, Japanese, and Vietnamese, but I'm only literate in English and Japanese, with Japanese being my favored language for expressing ideas. To clarify, Vietnamese is my first language, but cognitively I can switch between Vietnamese and Japanese without internal translation, where English takes some level of internal translation and articulation to be able to speak, not to mention that I can't quite pronounce the 'k' at the end of 'Ask' and similar words.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    I can speak three languages at a level high enough to make me understandable. I've also had Latin in high school for six years, but that was only translating ancient texts, not learning to speak it, so I don't count that one.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
    Well, for one, French is my main language, so I speak it the most. I'm fluent in English too, as I've spent my whole life in an English school. I know Arabic, although I'm really not that good at it. I mainly learnt it from my Arabic bruhs.

I know Spanish too, although I'm still not fluent at it. I know Darja (Algerian) too, which isn't always classified as a language. It's a mix of French, Turkish, Spanish, Armenian, Berber, Italian and Arabic. This is what happens when a country invades another country. They basically mess up a whole language. I'm satisfied of speaking 5 languages, at age 13. most bruhs don't know shizz.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Wow. .___.; You're a lot better off than I am at any rate, especially since my sole language is English; that's really neat!

Owh man, I did something wrong, haha. I do not speak Dutch twice, on of those is supposed to be German, haha. If you're Dutch you're kinda expected to be able to at least speak 3 languages, with the preferred amount being four. Our school system puts a real big focus on language education.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Born and raised in Spain, my first language is obviously Spanish :P Despite this, I somehow managed to get a Cambridge diploma in English, so can't complain. I can also manage myself in Catalan, although a bit poorly, but better than nothing!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    o.o Wow...lol I remember back in my high school, you're only required to take 2 years of a foreign language and pass it and you're pretty much set.

This was the same case for junior high as well...none of my schools really placed a particularly strong focus on language education, only going for the bare minimum and offering more advanced courses for those who really wanted to take them.

I had to study English since first grade, and in High School, I had to choose between French, German, Latin or Greek on top of everything- did two years of French and then ran away to Latin. Which, in hindsight wasn't such a good idea, but I just couldn't stand our teacher. We called him "le vache française".

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    o.o Wow...lol I remember back in my high school, you're only required to take 2 years of a foreign language and pass it and you're pretty much set.

This was the same case for junior high as well...none of my schools really placed a particularly strong focus on language education, only going for the bare minimum and offering more advanced courses for those who really wanted to take them.

If you want even a slightly high end job here, you're going to need to know a second languages. Almost all jobs here are bilingual, either French, German or English. Universities here also teach most of their courses in English, so it's really important to know more than just Dutch.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    I'm fluent in English and French considering they're my mother tongues.

I know some German, which I should really pick up again. Ideally my goal is to learn 5 languages before I die, but I'll need to really pick up the pace lol. 2 at 20 isn't so bad... and I'm confident I can learn Spanish quickly considering I already know the basic latin roots from French. Hell I can kind of piece it together when I read it.

Ideally: English, French, German, Spanish and then maybe another.

Lucid

fun! new languages! i can speak bits and peices of 7 languages!

latin, german, italian, spanish, sweedish, french and russian
    I can speak English fluently. And I can speak enough Spanish to make myself look like an idiot.
    I really only speak English fluently as well. I took Spanish for 3 years in high school but I haven't practiced or used it since then really and have forgotten most of it. I can understand it if spoken to me but I can't speak it back well. I kind of want to take French though this year so maybe!
    I speak English and Spanish fluently. I learned English first, then learned Spanish...took me forever to perfect the language verbally, however...I'm not used to writing with accents and stuff. lol

I am trying to perfect Italian, actually! It's a fun and romantic language <3
    I speak 3 languages. I'm quite content with it. But I wouldn't mind learning one more.
    I'm fluent in Spanish, English and, to a lesser extent, Portuguese. I'm currently learning German.

I love learning and speaking new languages.
    I can speak three languages at a level high enough to make me understandable. I've also had Latin in high school for six years, but that was only translating ancient texts, not learning to speak it, so I don't count that one.
    Well, for one, French is my main language, so I speak it the most. I'm fluent in English too, as I've spent my whole life in an English school. I know Arabic, although I'm really not that good at it. I mainly learnt it from my Arabic bruhs.

I know Spanish too, although I'm still not fluent at it. I know Darja (Algerian) too, which isn't always classified as a language. It's a mix of French, Turkish, Spanish, Armenian, Berber, Italian and Arabic. This is what happens when a country invades another country. They basically mess up a whole language. I'm satisfied of speaking 5 languages, at age 13. most bruhs don't know shizz.

Multilingualism is such an admirable quality imo. I love languages and find them fascinating. That's really the coolest thing to me. All I can do is mangle the ever loving fuck out of the english language. ;(

I had to study English since first grade, and in High School, I had to choose between French, German, Latin or Greek on top of everything- did two years of French and then ran away to Latin. Which, in hindsight wasn't such a good idea, but I just couldn't stand our teacher. We called him "le vache française".

Ur engrish is betr den myn. Tbh

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    Multilingualism is such an admirable quality imo. I love languages and find them fascinating. That's really the coolest thing to me. All I can do is mangle the ever loving fuck out of the english language. ;(

Ur engrish is betr den myn. Tbh

Lucid, you're doing a really good job at complimenting everyone all over The Treehouse and your method is really efficient. The blues must be proud of you as you carry their team.

Lucid

Lucid, you're doing a really good job at complimenting everyone all over The Treehouse and your method is really efficient. The blues must be proud of you as you carry their team.

Oh sweetie...
    Languages
    You're tenacity is so admirable! I love you for that! Aren't you cute. ;)

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I'm bilingual in English and Indonesian. Yeah, the former is because it's my first language and because of that me and my siblings communicate in English. I have a better time using English as well. The latter is because it's my country's language. I'm still pretty terrible at Indonesian 'cause I have to think on a lot of words, especially while presenting a presentation.

Aside from that, I've studied Japanese at High School for 3 years, Arabic at High School for a year, Chinese back at elementary for 6 years (no, I'm terrible at Chinese for someone of a Chinese descendant), and French back when I was so young to remember any of the lessons haha.

I wish I'm fluent in Japanese though. :T

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm only fluent in English, unfortunately.

It's mandatory to learn French in Canada since it's our second language, but each province starts it at a different grade and none of them teach you anything useful until high school, where you only have to take one class in it to fill diploma requirements. I did like the language, though, so I took it all the way through to grade 12. I can still listen to it and get the important parts out of any news/show I watch, and I could probably fumble my way through a conversation given enough warm up time, but I'm far from fluent. I have a few French friends on twitter and most of the time when they tweet back and forth I have noooo idea what they're saying. So I'm pretty crap with casual French too. :( I did want to do a minor in French when I got out of high school, but I ended up hating just about everything about the French faculty at my school so it killed a lot of the enthusiasm I had for the language. I'm not even sad about my deteriorating ability anymore as a result.

Aside from French, I'm studying Japanese. I've been learning it on and off for about a decade now but I only got "serious" about it maybe a year or two ago. I passed the JLPT 3 last year and I'm aiming for 2 this year, but I dunno if I'll manage it since I'm not taking any classes this year so I think I'll get pretty rusty. With Japanese, my main problem is lack of vocab and total lack of anyone to practise with. I'm pretty good with grammar and I'm okay with passive listening, but I just don't know enough words to express myself either in text or spoken. This summer I've started buckling down to really memorize more kanji and useful vocabulary but it's still gonna be a long journey. I really love the language though, so the studying never really feels like hard work.

I'd love to learn more languages, but I don't really have the time or opportunity for it. At the top of my "to learn" list is Korean and Chinese, but the latter especially sounds so immensely difficult that I find it too intimidating to even figure out where to start. I'd also love to learn more about Latin and Greek.

Back