• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Three Pokemon Mystery Dungeon titles for NA Virtual Console

smocks

fiat lux
Years
Yes!!!
I'm in LOVE with the Pokémon Dungeon series, all the new ones are really disappointing, & getting the chance to replay these games is a must on my to-do list!!

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I'm excited to see these on the virtual console. I'm thinking about finally caving and buying a Wii U in the next week or two (don't trust the drive on my Wii anymore after having to replace it, and I wouldn't mind playing some Wii U games over the summer), so I'll probably pick these up as well. I never actually played Sky, so I'm really excited about that one, and it's been a while since I've played the original PMD or any of the Explorers games, so it should be fun to give them another try.

I assume the internet functionality of the Explorers games won't be functional? I loved doing online rescues on those.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I've never played a PMD game, so I really want to try these. I'll probably have to beg for them, because I don't want to wait until christmas XD

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I've heard about this and I'm excited to get Red or Blue rescue team! (I already have a DS cartage of Sky)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Would've made more money if released for the 3DS.

Just saying.

Ditto, that would be great if everyone could play the good old PMD games in 3DS as well, not to mention that not everyone have Wii U consoles to begin with (myself included).
Except the 3DS can't emulate GBA/DS games. As someone explained on Reddit:
It can however run them directly on the hardware, which is what it does when running DS or GBA (IE. Ambassador) games. As a consequence of running them directly on the hardware (Requiring the 3DS to switch into a different firmware), functionality is limited compared to regular VC (No save states, exiting to Home closes the game, etc.).

So it's just easier for Nintendo to release them on a console that can handle all the functionalities, instead of putting them on one that can't.

Besides, this could be enough to drive up sales for the Wii U, for people who want to play these games (and others released for the VC) and can't find another way to play them easily. Although I own the Mystery Dungeon games (except Sky and the last two releases), I am really tempted to pick up a Wii U just for the other games on the VC.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
Years
Choosing to release on them on the Wii U is kind of a shock. Good for people that own that system, though! I was personally hoping they would port it for the 3DS eventually, but ah well!

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
It's not trivial to make a DS game available as a downloadable game for the 3DS and the result isn't very good, so I don't think Nintendo will ever offer them in exchange for money and not part of a rewards scheme.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
No, because they can't offer any additional features and the storage space is very limited for DS/DSi programs - a large full game may use up nearly half the available blocks as it is.

Back