• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen VII National Dex

Migit78

Pokemon Master
Years
  • So we've seen that the Gen 7 regional dex isn't amazingly huge, but we can feel safe in that the National Dex will remain a thing even if it relies on PokeBank for completion.

My wonder is, how do Alola forms effect the national dex? Do they there own entries? as types and stats are different to there rest of the pokemon world counterparts?

Im basing this on the assumption that if I bring my Gen VI or Gen I, Kanto pokemon to Gen VI, its not going to change form.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    There's absolutely no doubt that they will retain the National Dex. How could you try to collect all of the Pokémon if there was no National Dex?

That being said, I'm sure Alola forms will be listed as form changes in the Pokédex; as in, they will be in the same Pokédex entry as their original forms. Mega Evolutions have different stats and sometimes even different Types compared to their standard form, and yet they still appear under the same Pokédex entry. I see no reason why Alola forms would be any different.

Years
  • Angelica definitely said it right - Pokemon with Alola Forms will only have the form if encountered within Sun & Moon, while the normal forms transferred through Pokemon Bank will not become Alola Form, even if evolved within Alola.

But then there's Cubone and Exeggcute, who don't have an Alola Form while their evolutions do. I think it could be just locked to the individual Pokemon, so let's say a transferred Cubone were to evolve in Sun & Moon, it'll probably become regular Marowak.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • They better keep the National Dex! Filling up my dex is my favorite thing to do in Pokemon. It is the whole reason why I play.

I agree with what the others said. Alola forms vs. regular forms will have their form entry, but not a new dex number.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I'm quite sure Pokémon transferred from outside Sun and Moon will remain the same. It's like moving an African elephant to Asia. It won't suddenly shrink and lose its tusks and its ears won't shrink. It'll be no different for Pokémon. Your Persian won't get stung on the face by a hornet in transit. Your Rattata won't do an Anakin Skywalker and be tempted by the Dark side.

Years
  • Godshida has a point. Alola Forms will be treated just like any other form differences, that they'll all occupy the same Pokedex slot and not treated separately.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's pretty much already been said, but there has to be a way for normal forms and Alolan forms to co-exist in the one game. I'm certain the Kanto Pokémon transferred from the eShop titles (and possibly XY/ORAS) will retain their form whilst those available in Alola will be caught as their Alolan variant. As for Pokédex entries, I think the Alolan forms will be handled in the same way that Mega Evolutions were handled in X/Y.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    But then there's Cubone and Exeggcute, who don't have an Alola Form while their evolutions do. I think it could be just locked to the individual Pokemon, so let's say a transferred Cubone were to evolve in Sun & Moon, it'll probably become regular Marowak.

It's probably based on the region they originated in. X & Y introduced markers that showed whether a Pokemon originated in Kalos. I'm guessing Alola will have something similar, so we know region origin is something that the game is keeping track of.

So it should be simple enough to know whether your Cubone will evolve into a regular Marowak or an Alolan Marowak.

Years
  • It's probably based on the region they originated in. X & Y introduced markers that showed whether a Pokemon originated in Kalos. I'm guessing Alola will have something similar, so we know region origin is something that the game is keeping track of.

So it should be simple enough to know whether your Cubone will evolve into a regular Marowak or an Alolan Marowak.

That would actually make sense, considering that this generation appears to have its own version of a marking similar to the blue pentagon of 6th Gen.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Angelica definitely said it right - Pokemon with Alola Forms will only have the form if encountered within Sun & Moon, while the normal forms transferred through Pokemon Bank will not become Alola Form, even if evolved within Alola.

It's probably based on the region they originated in. X & Y introduced markers that showed whether a Pokemon originated in Kalos. I'm guessing Alola will have something similar, so we know region origin is something that the game is keeping track of.

The only thing on this, with competitive battling in Gen VI, you had to have the blue pentagon for a pokemon to be allowed to enter, if all Gen VII pokemon take on there Alolan forms, that would in turn mean, no matter how much I bred, I couldn't take, Riachu, Marowak, Eggecutor in there original forms? (not that I've used them before)

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    The only thing on this, with competitive battling in Gen VI, you had to have the blue pentagon for a pokemon to be allowed to enter, if all Gen VII pokemon take on there Alolan forms, that would in turn mean, no matter how much I bred, I couldn't take, Riachu, Marowak, Eggecutor in there original forms? (not that I've used them before)

I've been wondering the same, maybe whether the pokemon is alolan or not depends on where the parents are from? That would make sense I think, but then again I don't know what would happen if you breed an alolan pokemon with a regular one.
    I also think there's a chance that Pikachu/Cubone/Eggxecute evolve into their normal versions on the Aether Paradise, since it is not a place that is meant to be on Alola being artificial and all.

Years
  • The only thing on this, with competitive battling in Gen VI, you had to have the blue pentagon for a pokemon to be allowed to enter, if all Gen VII pokemon take on there Alolan forms, that would in turn mean, no matter how much I bred, I couldn't take, Riachu, Marowak, Eggecutor in there original forms? (not that I've used them before)

You do have a point with a lot of tournaments in 6th Gen only allowing Pokemon that were caught or bred in games for that generation, and it seems likely 7th Gen will be going through the same thing. So answering your post, if you're only allowed to use Pokemon caught or bred within Sun & Moon and the Pokemon has an Alola Form in Sun & Moon, you're pretty much forced to use the Alola Form.

So to sum it up, you couldn't take a regular version of an Alola Form Pokemon into a competition that only allows 7th Gen-originated Pokemon.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I would prefers what everyone's said too-- Only the ones native to Alola will evolve into Alolan form/ Keep their Alolan form when evolving.

I won't fancy my shiny Ninetales turning into an Alolan Ninetales despite me loving both. I would love to be able to do a double battle with both of them.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    For VGC at least, the concern of legal non-Alola forms isn't really worth worrying over for now since 2017's meta only allows Alola-Dex Pokémon for use anyways.

But for 2018, it may start being a problem if you can't get non-Alola forms, since it very well may be the case that any Pokémon born into Alola will be/evolve into its Alola form.

So I guess the necessary next option would have to revolve around making another gen 7 game, taking care that it's set in another region. It could be on a far-away island, perhaps. Maybe someplace cold?

Back