• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Next Pokémon GO Update rolling out

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2017
    How does this work cause I swear to God I had 2 daily catch bonuses today? What's the timezone cutoff?

1st bonus @ around 7AM and 2nd bonus @ around 6PM

Last edited:
    Years
  • it is now ridiculously easy to take down a level 10 GYm. While prestiging it is almost impossible.

Huge money Grab for Niantic. (Wont be dishing out gold coins to players for being in Gyms)

Listening to gamers my arse.

How about we get more Gyms? Not enough Gyms to go around IMO

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Hmm ... I didn't notice anything new when capturing my first pokemon today, or visiting my first pokestop. Last update I see for the game is dated Oct. 26. I guess the update hasn't gone through here yet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I've noticed a couple new features of the update, some are cool, some suck.

I got a 500 bonus this morning for catching Gloom, it was the first catch of the day. I'm not sure if I get this bonus everyday for the first catch, or if I have to catch a Gloom everyday now...

The other thing I noticed is after going to a Pokestop, every Pokestop I go to directly after says Try Again Later, unless I discard some items. And I have enough space for new items.
    I'm not sure if this is a stupid glitch, or if it's an update to driving while getting pokestops, maybe you can only get consecutive Pokestops when walking? But with winter coming I prefer to get my Pokestops on the way to work or coming home in the car.

Just another nail in the coffin for Pokémon Go if it's an update and not a glitch. It's going to make getting eggs harder as well since eggs only appear once in awhile from Pokestops.

Years
  • The other thing I noticed is after going to a Pokestop, every Pokestop I go to directly after says Try Again Later, unless I discard some items. And I have enough space for new items.
    I'm not sure if this is a stupid glitch, or if it's an update to driving while getting pokestops, maybe you can only get consecutive Pokestops when walking? But with winter coming I prefer to get my Pokestops on the way to work or coming home in the car.
    I had a similar thing happen with stops earlier while playing where I got several saying "Try Again Later" even though I was just walking past them and didn't want to stop. I hope it's just a glitch and not some kind of "protective" measure because if I can't even walk past one then that's going to slow the game down a lot.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Today some weird things happened.

First i was taking my train home, and could not spin the pokestops at train stations.

Then, when using the bus and while waiting for the bus, i visited 13 pokestops, and got 6 or 7 items from each of them. No exception. 11 stops gave 6 items and two gave 7 items.

Apart from that, the arena game has changed, i dropped from being in 7 arenas down to two, then i tried to level up a level 9 arena and failed because someone started attacking it shortly before i could add a pokemon, taking it down to 30050/40000 or something. It took an hour to level it from 9 to 10, all for nothing.

The frustration of getting kicked out of the vast majority of arenas where i considered my spot to be safe caused me to take down a level 10 arena. I wrecked it completely, it took half an hour.

EDIT: One good thing is that many of the pokemon that now spawn instead of pidgeys, rats and zubats appear to be awsome. I got jigglypuff, oddish, a double spawn of bellsprout, two voltorbs, and an exeggcute. Those are only the ones i still kinda need and that i otherwise rarely get. Also some less common water pokemon, but i already caught many of these.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I had a similar thing happen with stops earlier while playing where I got several saying "Try Again Later" even though I was just walking past them and didn't want to stop. I hope it's just a glitch and not some kind of "protective" measure because if I can't even walk past one then that's going to slow the game down a lot.

This happened to me when i was on the train and tried to get the pokestops at the train station.

It would be really messed up if it has to do with moving too fast.

Then, as i wrote, on the rest of my way home i visited 13 pokestops and each one gave at least 6 items, some gave 7 items. It felt really weird but it also felt like a compensation for the ones i missed while riding the train.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I haven't noticed any difference in spawn rates besides the fact Tauros are spawning on every street. But Pidgey and Rattata still spawn as much as they did before along with Weedle, Paras, Bellsprout and the rest of the junk.

I wish some Pokemon like Grimer or Growlithe would spawn instead, still need about 45 candies for both. As well as any fighting types.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I got a 500XP bonus for catching a Bellsprout on my way to work yesterday that said 'First catch of the day'. But I haven't updated the game yet. Is it one of those stealth updates like the Halloween one?

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I got a 500XP bonus for catching a Bellsprout on my way to work yesterday that said 'First catch of the day'. But I haven't updated the game yet. Is it one of those stealth updates like the Halloween one?
    Same. It's set for me to manually update in the app store (which I haven't yet), but the actual effects of the update are active in-game.

Either way, the updates should be live as of now.

Years

• The update blew in at 6:00pm EST which means about 12am/1am GMT. That's when a new day starts on the East Coast for Pokemon Go. I got 500 ep bonus for spinning a fairly random PokeStop (It does NOT have to be the same one each day which is good.) and another 500 ep for catching the first Poke.

There are many more Pokes. You used to have to walk around looking for them. Now they congregate as if just waiting to be caught. This means they are worth less because they are easier to catch. This means walking between stops, part of the pleasure of the game, is devalued because there is less reason to do it.

You get more Poke Balls, but more ways to use them up, so that is a wash. More of this belongs in the elephant in the room post.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    I still haven't seen any bonus, although maybe I just missed seeing it (I did install the latest update). Pokestops are all dispensing over 6 items, from one I think I got 10 items. I've also come across unusual spawns of 10 fairly common pokemon all close together. I also noticed it is now harder to level up a friendly gym.

Years
  • I've also been seeing huge swarms of 8 or more Pokemon in one place. Not everywhere, but this is something I've never really seen before. Not that I'm complaining. Most of them are common stuff, but there's usually been one or two rarer ones I don't normally see. I'm guessing they're trying to get us used to the idea so that when more Pokemon get added we'll actually have a chance at seeing older ones as well as newer ones.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    I did some experiments and it would seem the new gym rules are simple. If you win an enemy gym battle, the gym loses twice the prestige as it did before. For example, for each pokemon you defeat it now loses 1000 prestige (was 500). In a friendly gym battle, the gym gains half as much prestige as before. I'm not certain of this, as the formulas for friendly battles are more complicated. Can anyone confirm?

This makes leveling up a gym very tough! Especially levels 8, 9 and 10 because that is where you have to increase prestige by 10K. An opposing team can come along and undo all your work in a minute.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    So I haven't physically updated but some things have happened, I got a first catch of the day yesterday morning, then another one in the afternoon. I didn't get one this morning.

Then I can swipe one Pokestop and get 6 or 7 items, but any Pokestop I swipe after the one that works says Try Again Later. If I discard more then 3 items though the next Pokestop tends to work.

To be honest I'd rather gather more Pokestops then getting pointless exp I don't even care about having. Even if I do get 7 items from 1 Pokestop, I have to miss Pokestops that are behind it, and usually only 3 to 4 of the items are Pokeballs, the rest are potions or revives I have to discard anyways.

The worst thing when they add gen 2 and groups of Pokemon spawning all at once will be picking the one Pokemon I can catch, as they will probably pick the one time in the day I am in the car and the car will be moving again so I will only have time to pick one to try and catch. Do I go for Jumpluff who takes 100 candies to evolve or Miltank, who comes in a 10km egg... I shutter

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I played for a little bit today in town after voting and I got the bonus for the first catch of the day. I don't remember anything coming up on screen for my first Pokestop, but I did get many more items than I normally do. I hit a couple of other stops and also got more items than usual. More Pokemon and a few different ones than I've seen before popped up or were nearby also.

Is the Halloween intro screen still up for everyone else?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2017
    How does this work cause I swear to God I had 2 daily catch bonuses today? What's the timezone cutoff?

1st bonus @ around 7AM and 2nd bonus @ around 6PM

I am at my 4th daily bonus. My 3rd bonus came at 23:XX late last night after I made the Pokemon Go update in IOS app store. And since I went home quite late yesterday, I tested whether I will have a new daily bonus @ 00:01 and I did.

Before the actual APP update, not sure what was the timezone reference but I am pretty sure it localized after I made the official update in the APP since my 3rd and 4th daily bonuses were technically minutes apart.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Gym dynamics are now completely different. The only reason gyms aren't changing fast is that most people don't realize it yet.

It is now rather painful to level up a gym, to the extent that I doubt a gym will be built up beyond level 7 any more. Today I moved a gym from level 3 to 4, and it was annoying. I beat all 3 monsters in the gym with 2 pokemon with lower CP than any of them, and I still only got a measly 800 points for this effort. So I had to do this three times, just for a level 3 gym!

It is also rather annoying having to choose all 6 monsters every time, even when you only are using two. The defaults always have too high CP, so you have to reselect them all to keep them under a certain CP.

While bringing a level 10 gym down isn't trivial, now you can do it in stages. First bring it from 52K to 40K by beating 12 monsters, any way you like. Now you can leave the gym at level 9, and come back the next day. I doubt the other team will have the patience to add 10K prestige needed to bring it back up to level 10. Even if they do it only takes you a few minutes to take it from level 10 to 9, whereas it takes them hours to bring it back up.

Perhaps all this is good and will lead to gyms changing hands often. I'm not sure.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I have noticed some more differences. One was the Pokstop bonus. Luckily we hit a red light next to a Pokestop....

I've also had like 8 Pokemon spawn all at once in either one big group or in groups of 2-3 in a perfect square pattern.

Finally i got 12 items from one pokestop yesterday. I think all give more items. Unfortunately you have to walk to them and winter is coming. Niantic is smart they probably think this will drive up sales of items but in reality the game isn't going to be playable from Dec to April. Though do still spawn while traveling in a car.

Back