• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Next Pokémon GO Update rolling out

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Apparently its a special event that is supposed to last until 11/11.

Apart from the daily bonuses, and only until 11/11, we get:

- Double items from pokestops
    - Massively increased spawn rates near pokestops

There is no need for lure modules right now, and i suggest to walk around near pokestops to catch amazing amounts of pokemon. Sometimes the spawns are so massive that you have to pick the best ones and prioritize. Pokeballs can run low even with double items from pokestops simply because there are so many spawns.

I will forget about gyms while this event lasts because getting into a gym and staying in it for 500 dust is much more difficult and time consuming than catching 5 more pokemon a day for 500 dust, at least right now.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
    Apparently its a special event that is supposed to last until 11/11.

Apart from the daily bonuses, and only until 11/11, we get:

- Double items from pokestops
    - Massively increased spawn rates near pokestops

...So Niantic made Pokestops give out double items TEMPORARILY and stop giving out items while you're a car passenger FOREVER?

>:C

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    ...So Niantic made Pokestops give out double items TEMPORARILY and stop giving out items while you're a car passenger FOREVER?

>:C

It works for me when i try to spin pokestops when riding a bus, which is also too fast.

From a much faster suburban train it sometimes does and sometimes does not work.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    the gym sniping patch...
    i think it only works on the enemy gyms. yesterday, i was training at a friendly gym to throw in a pokemon. it already had 3 beefy pokemon in it so it took a while to train it by using low cp pokemons. i defeated the last dragonite for the last time, only to see someone already took my spot by putting in a 277 cp abra. i looked around in rage but didnt see anyone around. it couldve been someone in a house or just happen to pass by real fast.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
    It works for me when i try to spin pokestops when riding a bus, which is also too fast.

From a much faster suburban train it sometimes does and sometimes does not work.

I very reliably get the Try Again message whenever I attempt a Pokestop while passenger in a car, unless the car is moving very slowly at the time because of traffic.

Years
    I'm finding WAY more pokemon than usual, with a lot more variety, which is awesome, because I live in a rural area with very few pokemon, and was starting to get really discouraged. They must have done something to increase/move spawn points?

I usually play on my way to and from work (fifteen-ish minute walk). There are (or were) four particular spots on my route where I would find pokemon, all of which seemed to be time sensitive. The most I have EVER seen going one way has been three, and that happens rarely. More often I only find 1 (or none). Even in what I would call the most pokemon-dense area of town (not on my route, sadly), you're lucky if you catch more than five or six pokemon.

Today, in two of my four regular locations, I encountered groups of four or more pokemon (I was running late so didn't have time to count them all or catch more than one), and encountered three or four pokemon in new locations. Also caught a few at work (which has never happened) whenever I could sneak out my phone to play. Walking home, when I could take more time, I encountered a group of 7 pokemon in one of my regular locations, and another group of 5 in one of the new locations. Exciting indeed! I'm going to have to start my walk to work earlier haha. Haven't seen any in my house yet, but I'm holding out hope that one will show up

The only downside is, I used to be able to go for a couple of weeks without using a pokestop (trying to save my data), but I don't think that'll fly anymore if I'm going to be catching 15+ pokemon per day. Also, with the cold weather upon us, it does take a certain amount of grit to go gloveless for long enough to catch 7 pokemon in one go lol. Wish they'd done this a little earlier in the season

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    I've noticed that the game sometimes enters a strange locked mode. I can recognize this mode by the "Sightings" being blank, and most notably, when I click on a gym almost nothing happens. There is a slight gym animation spin but then it jumps back. I now know that the game is in this locked mode when I see this. Just now I tried spinning a pokestop when I was in this mode and it gave me "Try again later."

The good news is that when I notice I am in this strange mode, I simply exit the game and restart. All is then back to normal. I got items from that same pokestop after restarting.

Too bad the anti-sniping bug only works for empty gyms. I've actually never had an empty gym sniped. It is always when I level up a friendly gym. A few weeks ago I had the experience of doing the sniping myself. I felt bad, but I had moved that gym up an hour earlier, just not all the way. It is too easy to snipe!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I think the Pokestop update is purely a means to get people to buy Pokeballs in the game. They know most of the US won't be walking to lots of Pokestops in winter so they want to make it the most difficult for people to get items without walking in 6ft of snow.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
    Also, with the cold weather upon us, it does take a certain amount of grit to go gloveless for long enough to catch 7 pokemon in one go lol. Wish they'd done this a little earlier in the season

You could invest in some gloves designed to work with touch screens. Of course, if you're rural, I don't know if you feel like spending money on that. Your call!

I think the Pokestop update is purely a means to get people to buy Pokeballs in the game.

Pff, good luck with that. When it comes to the shop, the most important items are lucky eggs, upgrades to storage, and most importantly, incubators. Spending money on anything else is fairly foolish.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    The most sensible things to buy for money are lucky eggs for evolve sessions, and storage upgrades both for pokemon and for items.

Incubators cost a lot if you really caculate it.

pokeballs are a waste because i keep throwing them away, as well as some revivers and small potions, to make space for better things. Sometimes you need many potions and could use the small potions, sometimes you run out of the red basic pokeballs, so the storage space that lets you keep more of the stuff instead of having to throw it away are the best investment.

Lure modules are nice in some cases, if you get to share them with many people, otherwise they are as pointless as the pointless incense.

back on topic: Spawn rates are back to normal and pokestops are back to giving 3 or more items now.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2020
    So all those extra goodies from pokestops has not stopped what a shame,I barely got any pokeballs from stops today and in fact have now run totally out due to still seeing groups and exta pokemon appear. There is no balance to this game at all. Totally inconsistent

Years
    You could invest in some gloves designed to work with touch screens. Of course, if you're rural, I don't know if you feel like spending money on that. Your call!

I do actually have some touch-screen gloves that I bought last year (actually the touch screen feature was a bonus - I wanted to cut down to one pair of gloves and they were sturdy enough for every day but nice enough for if I was going to a fancy dinner) but they aren't precise enough for curveballs or nice/great throws, so I still need to take them off for higher difficulty pokemon, which seems to be a common problem for others who have touch-screen gloves as well.

Years
    This is such a great time to add daily bonuses. Since I'm working full-time atm and go through Manhattan for my morning commute there are toooons of things to catch and PokéStops to get. Plus the spawn seems to really have been boosted. Been having more fun playing than ever.

(About time they added a preventative measure against gym sniping too, geez.)

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Just got a 7-day bonus at a pokestop, which was rather spectacular. I guess I will get another tomorrow, or does another streak begin?

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
    Just got a 7-day bonus at a pokestop, which was rather spectacular. I guess I will get another tomorrow, or does another streak begin?

So far as I can see, a 7-day streak with Pokemon catches gives you thousands of stardust. A 7-day streak of Pokestops gives you thousands of EXP. After day 7 you have to start back at day 1 again.

But, for the first Pokemon and Pokestop of any given day, you get 500 EXP, that's pretty nice and you don't even need a streak to get it.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
    "And Arceus blessed the seventh day and declared it holy,
    because it was the day when he bestowed buttloads of XP on all his creation."

Last edited:
    Back