• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making maps look like the house style

luuma

searching for Meaning, offering HA numel
Years
  • This is more like an opinion piece to be honest! since art is art, there's no way I can categorically say any one of these styles looks better than the others. Instead of deciding which ones are good an bad, I'm just going to talk about the environment; how fire red does it, then how emerald does it, then how my earliest romhack did it!

11BBft1.png

A rule of thumb for firered is that if every geographical feature looks like a set of rectangles, you're on the right track. Grass is no exception! It feels unnatural, but retro, and really clean.

Patches of grass in Emerald are made up of blobs and curves, and the grass loops round and tries to look as much like an ellipse as possible.

Then there's the classic romhack look (TM), which looks quirky and unique, and a little bit like TV intererence. The empty squares in the middle of this grassy patch tell me there are hidden items to be found here, more than anything.

The path on the ground is actually more important than it looks! it's telling you where to go to progress. You should pretty much always put a path on the floor, they drag anyone playing the game onto the right track. They also show you which path is a secret side-quest to get an item and which path is important to carry on the plot. This gives you the information to choose between them, so you don't feel cheated by winding up on the wrong one.

Paths are also important because they break up clear empty space. If ever my screen is virtually filled with the same tile, it's time to remake the route.

yGbmvCE.png

Firered again looks a lot like an international rectangle festival but man does it look artsy. Turning everything into a solid straight line again does the trick

Emerald has a lovely little path down the right hand side that clearly contains an item somewhere within it. When I 'm surfing and hit a little niche crack like this one, I'll expect an item not to be too far away! The river is made up of steady curves, but it's rare that two corner tiles wind up next to each other on rivers. The curve on the water's edge is really made up of 2x2 blocks!

The first thing you will do with your coastline in a rom hack is make it waay too complex! Look at all those corner tiles. There's also these random 1x1 tiles dotted everywhere that you inevitably surf into, land on, find nothing, and have to surf off again! The right hand edge of the river as a repeating pattern down it which just looks nasty! rivers that are thinner than 2 blocks in width look bad if you try to put corners in them.

If you ever put in a small cutaway that leads to a dead end, no matter how short, players will specifically go down it and expect to find an item at the end. Try to avoid making these unless you plan on putting in just that!

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 24, 2023
    This tutorial has a charm that works for me. I like this kinds of tutorial since I'm a bad mapper. But I'd like to see more. :D

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Emulating FireRed's style is almost always bad thing, so to anyone reading this: do not emulate FireRed's style.

Emerald has a really nice natural style to it that is pretty much the goal of what to emulate, save for a small need for more natural looking features. It does a great job of tucking things away for litte scavenger hunts though, like you said.

luuma

searching for Meaning, offering HA numel
    Years
  • Emulating FireRed's style is almost always bad thing, so to anyone reading this: do not emulate FireRed's style.

See I used to absolutely hate how unnatural and electronic firered's style feels but honestly now I'd recommend it to beginners over emerald's. It's much harder to mess up than emerald's, looks polished with very little effort, and has a unique and clear cut style (even if it's not a popular one). I think it's kind of charming in it's own rectangular way. If taste is subjective, why not take it easy and copy cubism lmao

Although, obviously, emerald looks nicer to me!

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    To each their own haha. It can be easier, but to me it always just feels kind of lackluster.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    FireRed has a nice style, it perfectly replicates the RBY mapping style, but also has it's own style if you look at Sevii Island maps, they're all less square and bland.

Back