• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I finished up my Ground Monotype Challenge for Sapphire yesterday!

Now, I'm off to Johto in Heart Gold.

Sapphire Mono-Ground Challenge Progress (Part 2):

Spoiler:

Final Team:
swampert.png
camerupt.png
flygon.png
whiscash.png
rhydon.png
claydol.png

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
I plan on updating some of this tomorrow, I have a lot to do, so it won't happen in one day.

Also, for both this and the Nuzlocke challenges, I made two rule changes.

1. I decided to disallow hacks of all kinds from ultimate challenges, because I feel this takes away from the experience of going through each region, and it should be a pure official experience.
*I know people won't like this rule, but I stand by what I say. :p

On the other hand, something that I know people will be happy about:
2. I will now allow Z-Moves, since they can only be used once per battle, and after thinking it over, it really isn't that OP. Megas are still banned though, because they really are OP af.

*Keep in mind the hack rule takes effect as of now, and will not count against you if you have already started it. However, if you have signed-up with one but have not posted an update yet, then it will need to be changed.

Reactions: Tek

Tek

Years
Update: Dragon-type Ultimate, Kanto Region

Badges: 5

Current Team:

NOODLES the Dragonair Lv. 32
Wrap, Horn Drill, Thunder Wave, Surf

COMPANY the Dragonair Lv. 33
Wrap, Horn Drill, Thunder Wave, Surf

Planned Team:

BUBBLES the Dragonair
Wrap, Toxic, Double Team, Dragon Rage

BLOSSOM the Dragonair
Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Surf

BUTTERCUP the Dragonair
Fire Blast, Blizzard, Thunder, Horn Drill

UTONIUM the Dragonite
Surf, Strength, Cut, Fly

The journey so far:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
oh thank god, it was so annoying having access to Malicious Moonsault and Inferno Overdrive without being able to use it while enemy AI could use it freely. tbh i wouldntve struggled with Mimikyu as much if i couldve just broke the disguise and then OHKOd with Malicious Moonsault

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
@Volga - Thank you for the updates. I haven't made it to Gen 6 yet, but I'll refrain from using any mega stones. I don't know if any stones are available for Ground-types before the elite four in XY, anyway.

So I don't know if Ground Types are just really easy to train, or if I've been playing an unhealthy amount, or both...

Anyway, I'm about halfway through Heart Gold.

Part 1
Spoiler:

Current Team:
geodude.png
steelix.png
quagsire.png
nidoqueen.png
nidoking.png

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Finally have a new update since signing up in the new thread! I was working on my ghost challenge and skipped Platinum because I had just recently played through it, I'll go back to it eventually, so I decided to play White first and finished it just now. Don't have any screenshots or anything since I was playing on my actual cartridge. Going against normal types was a bit difficult since most of my mons only had ghost attacks for a good portion of the game, but that eventually changed and it was mostly smooth sailing from there.

Challenge:
Spoiler:
Team
563.png

Amber the Cof4grigus
Level 52 | Male | Jolly | Mummy
Shadow Ball | Grass Knock | Will-O-Wisp | Hex
593.png

Henry VIII the Jellicent
Level 52 | Male | Hasty | Water Absorb
Surf | Shadow Ball | Ominous Wind | Absorb
609.png

Lumier the Chandelure
Level 53 | Male | Lonely | Flame Body
Shadow Ball | Flame Burst | Will-O-Wisp | Hex
623.png

Elric the Golurk
Level 51 | Genderless | Gentle | Iron Fist
Earthquake | Shadow Punch | Heavy Slam | Curse​

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Heart Gold is finished. Pearl is up next, but I'm not really looking forward to it. I just personally don't like the Sinnoh games.

Part 2
Spoiler:

Final Team:
golem.png
quagsire.png
mamoswine.png
steelix.png
nidoqueen.png
nidoking.png

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Sinnoh? More like Sooooooo Slooooooow.

Here's my first Pearl progress:

Part 1
Spoiler:

Current Team:
grotle.png
geodude.png
shellos.png
onix.png

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
ty for the changes to rules volga! nao i can does my ICE ICE BABY in sun ok time!
Seriously though, not being stuck with a pure-normal and pure-Fighting Pok?mon until Victory Road is going to be nice.

Forum User Name: Decidueye
Game(s): Sun
Pok?mon Type: Ice
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

There are some things I do intend to do that should be allowed in the rules but I might not do in, say, a Grass mono. If anyone (read: Volga) has any objections to these, tell me now.
- Hack in an Alolan Sandshrew after obtaining starter (Rule 5)
- Trade Crabrawler and Eevee to Moon and evolve them at 30 (Rule 5 Update)
- Catch a crap ton (I think 41) of off-type Pok?mon as soon as I complete Kiawe's trial to unlock rank 2 Isle Alphun. This is to acquire a second Ice Stone. I'd prefer to hack it in once I get the first one in Po Town, but this will have to do.
- Use a Delibird, albeit temporarily. Just thought I'd point this out.
- While I'm hacking in my starter I'll likely put all the outfits on my game as well, specifically the Moon-exclusive ones. I need to match my type colour-wise in a mono-run.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten my Steel mono. I got to vilestone and am in the gym now. Figured moving one town wasn't enough to warrant an update. And my Nuzlocke on Sun just finished, I'll update that when I wake up.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019

Username: Xander729
Game: Alpha Sapphire
Type: FAIRY
Mode: Free, so I can use mega stones, but I'm limiting myself to 1, (I need Mega Altaria as a 4th member and it only becomes Fairy with mega evolution, I will only use it as a mega though, so I'm not breaking any rules

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Be great if i could at least be added to the Ultimate Challengers list (Fire Red and Crystal are completed)

Pokemon Moon Firemono Update:
Spoiler:

Update: League Unleashed!
Spoiler:

Don't think i'll go for the extra stuff seeing as how i didnt do it in my last playthrough which was a normal playthrough, so this would be my first time and i'd rather not try it with a challenge team.

so with that
Pokemon Moon: Fire Monotype done!
Games still to complete:
Emerald
Platinum (4/8)
White (1/8)
X

Final Team
Spoiler:

MVP: Incineroar
Was there ever any doubt? i havent used the other 2 starters yet (probably will pick one of them in UM) but in my 2 playthroughs of moon so far Incineroar has been hands down the best poke, darkest lariat is too good, bulk up is a great move that it gets super early and it just all round never really showed any signs of being bad. flare blitz at the end helped a lot
LVP:None
i cant pick one, for once all of my pokemon were good at one point or another, Marowak i guess due to not having any good STAB moves for a long time but its variety and decent stats helped me edge out Olivia twice so even it was useful
Unexpectedly Useful Move: Torment
Preventing the same move being used twice in a row is incredibly helpful believe it or not, saved my ass against totem Wishiwashi and totem Mimikyu as well as helping against acerola and kukui in the league

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I played a little bit more Pearl Mono Ground this weekend, but I've also been playing Zelda:BOTW, Animal Crossing:NL, and Mario Kart 8D.

Part 2
Spoiler:

Current Team:
grotle.png
golem.png
gastrodon.png
steelix.png
quagsire-f.png
gible-f.png

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 18, 2017
I signed up on the previous thread and left my run until yesterday when I finally completed it. Do I just have to sign up again and report my victory (with pictures) or should I just leave it and start a new run? If the former, here are the details first of all:

Forum User Name: Quizas
Pokémon Type: Normal
Challenge Mode: Single
Game(s): FireRed

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2017
Don't know if this thread is still being monitored, but I'd love to give this a try!

Forum User Name: RayBeforeJay
Game(s): Pokemon Sun
Pokémon Type: Ghost
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single. For now

Edit: Does anyone think I can catch a ghost type before gym 2? I'm not too far into Pokemon Sun

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Don't know if this thread is still being monitored, but I'd love to give this a try!

Forum User Name: RayBeforeJay
Game(s): Pokemon Sun
Pokémon Type: Ghost
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single. For now

Edit: Does anyone think I can catch a ghost type before gym 2? I'm not too far into Pokemon Sun

It's still being monitored, I just update it very slowly. :p

And yes, you can get Gastly, Drifloon, and Misdreavus in Hau'oli Cemetary. As well as Litwick if you use Island Scan on Saturday, also in Hau'oli Cemetary.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years

In addition to what Volga said, Rowlet is also allowed to be used because it evolves into a spookyghost. Sun Ghost is something I might try, simply because you can have a 5-man party before the first gym, which is pretty insane. You do get stuck with the same team for a looooong time however, as after those five you don't get Cubone three trials later.

However, any different types of monos for me can come later. For now, ICE (and also steel)!

DeciduICE Sun - 2/11 Objectives
Spoiler:

Team to come when I have more time

Oh, and my Pearl Monosteel beat Maylene. Icebreaker the Prinplup dealt with Meditite, Glassworm the Wormadam and Liberty the Bronzor beat up Machoke, and The Fort the Shieldon spammed Fire Blast on Lucario, because a shield usually can breathe fire. That's good.

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Pearl Monotype Ground challenge continues.

Part 3
Spoiler:

Current Team:
torterra.png
golem.png
gastrodon.png
steelix.png
quagsire-f.png
gabite-f.png

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I had to put in a lot of hours this weekend, but I was able to finish up Pokemon Pearl.

Part 4
Spoiler:

Final Team:
torterra.png
garchomp-f.png
gastrodon.png
golem.png
quagsire-f.png
steelix.png

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years