• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you had a child...

MaӾiej

Huge Kida Fan
Years
  • Spoiler:

Another thing I'd do is attempt to introduce them to retro platformers/ old school platforms as soon as possible or maybe that's a bad idea. If they start getting good at games, I'll throw the original Contra at them. That should be a good stepping stone to something like Cuphead. Speaking of platformers, I think another good one to introduce them to if you got a PS3 and have it is Little Big Planet. While it does get difficult later on, it's pretty easy to learn many of the primary mechanics. Not to mention, with a little help, you might even be able to jump-start their creative spark with the level creator. (assuming they have one)

Of course, they don't have to like what I like. I'd try my best to foster whatever they take to. Easier platformers or platformers in general just tend to an enjoyable starting point.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'm not of the mindset that "oh games were better back in the day hurr hurr" because lol. It largely depends on the game itself and how it's aged. There's no perfect era, in my opinion. Just let'em play whatever appeals to them, regardless of console. Age appropriate, of course. lol
    Yeah, but that's kind of why I would get them started on semi-early generation games from the get-go. I want my kid to be able to develop their own tastes and opinions, but I worry that, as is the case with pretty much any medium, if I were to throw them into what's new at the time and they get steeped in that, they might not even consider older games or, worse, be disgusted by them due to their age. That's the sort of abrasion I don't want because the moment they shut out those games is the moment they severely limit themselves both ideologically and in terms of general entertainment.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Yeah, but that's kind of why I would get them started on semi-early generation games from the get-go. I want my kid to be able to develop their own tastes and opinions, but I worry that, as is the case with pretty much any medium, if I were to throw them into what's new at the time and they get steeped in that, they might not even consider older games or, worse, be disgusted by them due to their age. That's the sort of abrasion I don't want because the moment they shut out those games is the moment they severely limit themselves both ideologically and in terms of general entertainment.

I think it largely depends on the child as well as the games, though. I live with my cousin, who is 9, that enjoys playing N64 and GameCube games, despite having played newer consoles like the Wii and Wii U. The latter two, she was introduced to before I lived with her. She's only gotten to play older consoles since I've been living here. When I babysit her, she'll usually ask to play whatever suits her mood (Animal Crossing, Mario Party 2, etc) and doesn't seem to go off what's newer, really.

Of course, this is one kid I'm observing, but I have older friends that have children and raised them on various consoles too. I stand by that it largely depends on the game and the child's tastes, but you know, the latter is varying.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I think I'm with Arsenic here, I haven't given this much thought but if I have kids I would probably just let them choose what interests them, and I don't really have any games in mind for them to start with. I may look into the age-appropriateness of their choices, but other than that, with how many games and genres there are I wouldn't even know where to begin in introducing them into gaming.

I don't believe in starting with classics - I have a bit of an unpopular opinion here, but even for myself I've always thought classics are kind of overrated and if my kid wants to start with and only play games from their generation, I don't see why not. They were great for their time, sure, and I have a few choice classics I really enjoy (some of which I stumbled upon on my own without ever being introduced to, which is another reason why I don't think you necessarily have to provide the kid with the game or tell them to play it for them to find it appealing or anything), but for the most part I've always enjoyed newer games over older ones, so I wouldn't fault anyone for not wanting to play something dated. If they want to, that's cool too, of course, but I wouldn't think too much of it if they didn't.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • I'm absolutely with Arsenic and Juno. I want my child to foster whatever their interests are. I'm not the biggest video game player in the world (Although I do have certain favorites like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim and other RPGs), but even if my child likes something like Minecraft... I'm there to support them, yeah? I'd certainly look into the appropriateness of the title. I'm a little iffy on warfare games like COD because I personally find them to desensitize war violence but that's only a personal opinion.

I'd let my child play with whatever the current trends are those days-- Video Gaming is a social hobby, so of course they're going to want to play with their friends in multiplayer and they're going to have to have a compatible system. I mean ideally if I say "Hey this game is Earthbound and it's pretty cool you should give it a shot" and my child loves it... then great! If they hate it and want to stick to platformers or shooters or w/e then also great. I just don't want to limit my child's potential interests.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I will likely start them off on Super Mario or one of the early 2D Sonic games as they were the first games I played as a child. I think one of the Yoshi's Island games would be a good starting point for games as would any of the Smash Bros games.

Also (Unless my future partner plays them) Call Of Duty will be banned.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I'm no parent or expert, but its probably a good idea as a parent to introduce your kids to games that are age appropriate.

I don't know about you, but none of my friends nor I ever were playing "age appropriate games" We bonded in Elementary School over Halo 2/3. Owned GTA IV and V

Hell the first game I ever played was Half-Life, and that was at the age of 5 or 6.

While I think playing something like GTAO at a young age might not be great for the kid (Even if thats the largest age group playing) I doubt I would do much to halt such an activity if thats what their friends are playing.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I don't know about you, but none of my friends nor I ever were playing "age appropriate games" We bonded in Elementary School over Halo 2/3. Owned GTA IV and V

Hell the first game I ever played was Half-Life, and that was at the age of 5 or 6.

While I think playing something like GTAO at a young age might not be great for the kid (Even if thats the largest age group playing) I doubt I would do much to halt such an activity if thats what their friends are playing.

Every kid is completely different. Some things may be appropriate for kids when they are younger and for others when they are older.

Its undeniable that kids will probably see things they shouldn't be, but thats just life and should be expected. But that doesn't mean parents can't intervene when necessary.

Zenithios

To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy
    Years
  • Honestly, I'd just let them be, I want them to discover games on their own. But I'd use subliminal messaging to make them play games {XD} And If I WAS to make them play, I'd start them off with Pokemon Emerald, just because that's my favorite game, and it would be easy for me to teach them :)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I'd probably introduce my favorites to them more or less in the same way they were introduced to me. I'd play them around them for a few years and pique their interest, showing them that it's okay to still play games from before they were born even if they aren't 'classics' or as 'good' or 'graphically good' as the games we have now. I'd start playing games with them, watching as they struggle to figure out simple puzzles. They would always be on the path to becoming a master of all things Square related. Every final fantasy, every side project, every kingdom hearts. All the Digimon games so that they can suffer with breeding the same way I once did, laugh at the poop that looks like cheese-less pizza and then cry when their favorite mon dies because it didn't go to the bathroom enough but ate everything around all the time. And then after all the feel good games got out of the way, hit em with the souls series, crash bandicoot and whatever else people think is hard at that time so that they can learn to be better than the rest.

Back