• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think about such cryptocurrencies like bitcoin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • Disappointing given the potential it had as a theory. In the past it was a novel idea, and for a time gained unprecedented marketplace support, and that was all just peachy until everybody shifted focus to try and make a buck with it after it already ballooned.

The people who bought early enough and bought large enough amounts of it are basically pumping-and-dumping it into irrelevancy by the sheer weight of their wealth. In all other kinds of securities, this practise is illegal, and for good reason, as we can see. It is why governments are looking to regulate it, because like every other kind of fiat it cannot subsist in freefall and remain useful.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There's room for cryptos to grow; only now are they getting mainstream. A recommendation to look into if anyone is interested in investing is Nano.

Years
  • There's nothing real about it. It's some people saying "Hey, this is worth something and you should believe in it and trade real money for it, and please ignore that I'm saying this because I have more of it and your agreeing to use it just makes me richer."

It's sketchy. Plus it's a huge waste of electricity.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • I'd be more willing to care about cryptocurrencies if I could, you know, actually somehow easily get/buy them.

As of now, it's just too convoluted despite their advantages/disadvantages.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I despise them and view them purely as a fad. Because they're not controlled in some way, their value fluctuates greatly from day to day, hour to hour, and so make for an extremely unreliable method of payment. You also have to put in a lot of money initially just to get very little back, to get back what you spent initially would probably take until the heat death of the universe at the rates you can get them right now. In addition, with such a variation in value, it can get extremely high and then freefall, something that could cause a lot of instability, and one moment you could be rich, and the next moment you'd be better off selling your rig because you'd make more money.

In addition, with people purchasing computer parts in bulk and driving up prices is another reason I hate them. I want to build a computer but now I can't afford it because the parts I want are almost double the prices they should be, and with a terrible dollar right now, it puts it even further out of reach.

If banks start doing cryptocurrencies and introduce some form of stability to them, I'd be more accepting of it, but with the way cryptocurrencies just show up left, right, and center, with little to no afterthought, it's not worth it at all to get involved in it right now.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I play it safe, would never trade or invest in crypto or really anything, especially in these times.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I really feel that cryptocurrencies are really just fads and don't hold any actual value of any kind. People tried them in the past and they eventually failed, although those were centralized unlike cryptocurrencies of today. Regardless, I don't think it'll really make much use online, as cash is truly king and having a digital amount of something just doesn't really... Hold up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back