• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 18, 2018
Pokémon error car

I pulled a full art error card from a pack that had another full art card printed over it and wanted to get it graded and was wondering how much it would cost and where to get it graded at?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Heej there people, I am a owner of a PSA 9 shadowless no damage error Ninetales. I am looking for history of this card, but because they are enormously rare I can find almost nothing useful. Any ideas on this card and do you know if there is a PSA 10 of the card out there?

Spoiler:

My friend, you are the only other person I know who has one. :)

I've never seen a 10, but I know an 8 sold for like $1200 on eBay. That's a pretty lofty price in my mind (I'd expect about $300 for it), but hey, shoot for the stars. I know there are many people who exclusively keep an eye out for these when they appear on market.

edit; Sorry, I forgot to answer the other half of your question! The history of this card is rather obscure because it's never been confirmed whether it can be pulled from a booster. It has been pulled from precon decks, however.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
My friend, you are the only other person I know who has one. :)

I've never seen a 10, but I know an 8 sold for like $1200 on eBay. That's a pretty lofty price in my mind (I'd expect about $300 for it), but hey, shoot for the stars. I know there are many people who exclusively keep an eye out for these when they appear on market.

edit; Sorry, I forgot to answer the other half of your question! The history of this card is rather obscure because it's never been confirmed whether it can be pulled from a booster. It has been pulled from precon decks, however.

Thanks for your answer, so little information to be found about this card, still happy to have one :P
Maybe you know something about the worth of this kind of uncut boxtopper sheet?
Spoiler:

Years
I pulled a full art error card from a pack that had another full art card printed over it and wanted to get it graded and was wondering how much it would cost and where to get it graded at?

Hello. I've gone ahead and moved your thread to the appropriate section for the topic you had questions on, as the Feedback and Support section is only for site-related issues. Pokemon Trading Card Game is the appropriate section for card related questions for future reference.

Anyway, basically, there are a couple grading services used by the Pokemon TCG community: PSA (Professional Sports Authenticator) and BGS (Beckett Grading Services). Most people use PSA and their grading are what most people who might buy a graded card will be looking for.

Here are the fee pages for each:
https://www.psacard.com/fees/
https://www.beckett.com/grading/compare-our-services

Hope this helps!

Out of curiosity, what card was it? Almost sounds like it's a counterfeit rather than an actual manufacturing defect based on what you describe. You can upload an image as an attachment if you wanna show it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Thanks for your answer, so little information to be found about this card, still happy to have one :P
Maybe you know something about the worth of this kind of uncut boxtopper sheet?
Spoiler:

I've seen quite a few sheets for sale but it's not my expertise. Looking at the picture, it seems you only have the printed layer or the laminate and not the cardboard body of the card due to transparency - which is suspicious. Again, I don't know much about sheets and how they come about but I do know how the cards are printed and I've never seen anything like that. I'm inclined to think that it's fake.

As for a potential price, Skyridge cards seem to be selling well individually! Though with how people inflate the price of sheets I honestly don't know what a fair price would be for those. Last I heard, a Neo Genesis common sheet sold for nearly $100. Looks like a holo Fossil sheet is going for around $80 too. That said, Skyridge is a notoriously expensive set.

After searching I couldn't find any information about a box topper Skyridge holo sheet in its whole. May be entirely uncirculated. May be a scam.

Just out of curiosity.. These are oversized cards, right? Are the numbers at the bottom from 9/12 to 12/12?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 26, 2018
Hello. I'm relatively new to collecting pokemon cards again. Collected a bit as a child. My daughter is obsessed. We received a relatively strange looking card in a lot of cards we purchased for her recently. My assumption is that it's fake, as I can not find one exactly like it anywhere. But, I figured I better be safe than sorry before tossing it and ask people smarter than I. It's a japanese holographic Raikou No.243 from the Neo Revelations set (I think symbol looks like a circle with 3 little spikes) the artist is Naaya Kimura. The holo pattern looks like the pattern used on the top sun cards. The back looks faded and has no date or tm information and the red line is misplaced on the bottom. Thank you for your time.

Years
Hello. I'm relatively new to collecting pokemon cards again. Collected a bit as a child. My daughter is obsessed. We received a relatively strange looking card in a lot of cards we purchased for her recently. My assumption is that it's fake, as I can not find one exactly like it anywhere. But, I figured I better be safe than sorry before tossing it and ask people smarter than I. It's a japanese holographic Raikou No.243 from the Neo Revelations set (I think symbol looks like a circle with 3 little spikes) the artist is Naaya Kimura. The holo pattern looks like the pattern used on the top sun cards. The back looks faded and has no date or tm information and the red line is misplaced on the bottom. Thank you for your time.

Just based on the holo pattern alone, it's probably a fake.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024

Would posting a picture of the card be possible? Cause this is confusing me. Only one holo Raikou was printed for Neo Revelations, drawn by Ken Sugimori (13/64). If you know that the artist is Naoya Kimura, the only Raikou she made for Neo Revelations (22/64) was non-holo.

Holo by Sugimori:
Spoiler:

Non-holo by Kimura
Spoiler:

If what you have is the second card, but it's holographic, than it's most certainly fake. :(

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 26, 2018
I would be more than happy to post a picture of the front and back, but I am unsure as to how. I attempted to do so in the original post and an additional post after using the little paper clip icon located next to the smiley face icon from my phone but I have had no success. It takes me to a different page and allows me to select my files for upload, but nothing ever happens. I apologize I am not very tech savvy. I will try in just a bit from a computer and see what happens. Thank you all for your help.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 26, 2018
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Resized952018082095112823959927.jpg
    Resized952018082095112823959927.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Resized952018082095112839959045.jpg
    Resized952018082095112839959045.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Resized952018082095113024958264.jpg
    Resized952018082095113024958264.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 7
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Yeah, sadly, that card is 100% fake. :( Sorry about that.

Still, it's a cool looking card and you can always hang on to it for the fun of it! I've got a few counterfeits in my collection just for the giggles. :)

bearz0r

bearz0r
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 2, 2018
Pokemon card - Dark Charmeleon help!

Hi!
Have an older pokemon card I would like some help. The card is "Dark Charmeleon, 1 edition, team rocket and 15/82"

Have tried and found the value on this card and a bit more info but seems like I find all the other dark charmeleon cards with this not. start and wonder if this is a fake card maybe..hm. Adding a few pictures, it was all great if anyone could help me here! :)

https://imgur.com/a/lRlGVs8
https://imgur.com/JeCxPce
https://imgur.com/VQZogx0
https://imgur.com/UinK6we

Years
Hi!
Have an older pokemon card I would like some help. The card is "Dark Charmeleon, 1 edition, team rocket and 15/82"

Have tried and found the value on this card and a bit more info but seems like I find all the other dark charmeleon cards with this not. start and wonder if this is a fake card maybe..hm. Adding a few pictures, it was all great if anyone could help me here! :)

https://imgur.com/a/lRlGVs8
https://imgur.com/JeCxPce
https://imgur.com/VQZogx0
https://imgur.com/UinK6we

I've gone ahead and merged your post into the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

Anyway, basically, what you have there is a counterfeit version of the card. The card's coloring is too dark and there is no version of Dark Charmeleon that has a holofoil picture. That and that particular holofoil pattern was never used on any official cards. Hope this clarifies things!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Confirming the card is counterfeit, sorry friend. The original card was never printed with holofoil. Looks to be in poor condition as well. :c

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
I have a question about this card. It is a torchic from the McDonald. I was looking online and it gives a number of the card 3/12. But the card that I have has a number 2/12. I have checked if it is fake but all the things that I have tried on the card are of a genuine card. Can please someone help me find out if this is a real/misprint or a fake.

Thank you

LSF3c1Q

https://imgur.com/LSF3c1Q

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I have a question about this card. It is a torchic from the McDonald. I was looking online and it gives a number of the card 3/12. But the card that I have has a number 2/12. I have checked if it is fake but all the things that I have tried on the card are of a genuine card. Can please someone help me find out if this is a real/misprint or a fake.

Thank you

LSF3c1Q

https://imgur.com/LSF3c1Q

What you've got there is a Torchic XY Promo 37 from the 2015 McDonald's Collection. It is very much a real card! Not a very expensive find, but a neat one nonetheless. :)

It has seen a few reprints, so if you see the same card with different numbers, it's most likely just from the Primal Clash expansion, where it appeared as a non-promo card.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 11, 2018
Theres a new seller on ebay, keeps listing PSA 8-10 charizard shadowless 1st editions for under $900 USD. In the message me section he says he has tons more and to just message him and ask. The card looks real and the casing looks real, are there any known shadowless fakes out there/are they easy to replicate. I just feel bad for whoever keeps buying the cards, seems like a scam since they usually sell for in the range of 3,000-5,000.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Theres a new seller on ebay, keeps listing PSA 8-10 charizard shadowless 1st editions for under $900 USD. In the message me section he says he has tons more and to just message him and ask. The card looks real and the casing looks real, are there any known shadowless fakes out there/are they easy to replicate. I just feel bad for whoever keeps buying the cards, seems like a scam since they usually sell for in the range of 3,000-5,000.

Hm.. I've not seen this listing personally, but I can tell you that there's no reason a Base Set Charizard of any variety should be selling for upwards of $5k.

If you're looking to buy for yourself, I highly recommend you contact the seller personally and ask for additional pictures, preferably dated, as anyone can upload whatever images they want to represent their possibly fraudulent item (opening the seller up to a SNAD case). And you can always run a reverse image search to look for anything suspicious. If there's enough evidence, please report the listing to eBay and keep fellow Pokémon card collectors safe!

All the said, there's also the very real chance that it's a good seller who waaaaaayyyyy overinflates the value of nostalgia. Or is just generally uneducated about fair card pricing and is not deliberately trying to rip someone off.

Either way, contacting the seller, contacting eBay, and not spending your own money are probably the safest way to approach this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back