• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shamima Begum to be stripped of her British Citizenship

Years
  • https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47299907

Background:

Shamima travelled to Syria at age 15 to join IS but now wishes to return to the UK to raise her child quietly in peace. However she, in many's eyes, has shown no remorse for her previous decisions and actions and has stated she did not regret the decisions she made.

The Home Secretary, under section 40(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981

[F116 40 Deprivation of citizenship.
    (1) In this section a reference to a person's " citizenship status " is a reference to his status as—
    (a)a British citizen,
    (b)a British overseas territories citizen,
    (c)a British Overseas citizen,
    (d)a British National (Overseas),
    (e)a British protected person, or
    (f)a British subject.
    [F117(2)The Secretary of State may by order deprive a person of a citizenship status if the Secretary of State is satisfied that deprivation is conducive to the public good.]
    (3)The Secretary of State may by order deprive a person of a citizenship status which results from his registration or naturalisation if the Secretary of State is satisfied that the registration or naturalisation was obtained by means of—
    (a)fraud,
    (b)false representation, or
    (c)concealment of a material fact.
    (4)The Secretary of State may not make an order under subsection (2) if he is satisfied that the order would make a person stateless.

feels that there is a justification of depriving her of her British Citizen status. Since she has an apparent right to Bangladeshi citizenship because her mother is a citizen which automatically makes her have a right to citizenship (it is illegal to lose your British citizenship if it would then in turn make you stateless).

See the part of all of this that confuses me is...what would Bangladesh have to say about this? Shamima may have a right to citizenship under normal circumstances but she has a right to British citizenship under normal circumstances too. Since she has proven herself an individual 'dangerous' enough to warrant the UK stripping her of her citizenship rights what is to say Bangladesh, a country she has never even been to before, nor ever felt the need to pursue her citizenship of that country before would even grant her it now after all of this? Even if Bangladesh don't have a clause like ours in their law like in section 40(2) above it seems like we're just lumping our problem on a country we see as more expendable than us. Again, Shamima has never been to Bangladesh nor ever sought to pursue Bangladeshi citizenship.

It feels like this has been rather poorly handled by the British government and seems like a knee-jerk reaction to the media frenzy that has taken over about this situation.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think, since she doesn't regret her decisions, we should probably be asking the question "what did her involvement with IS entail?"
    If she was a member, at age 15, but committed no serious crime, I feel that there's little danger in letting her return. If she was committing or involved with legitimate acts of terrorism I can see good reason for considering her dangerous.

I'd say it's a tricky situation.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I agree with gimmepie in that if she engaged in actual acts of terrorism and violence she should be banned.

However I guess I do feel kind of bad for a 15 year old who was swept up and probably groomed by IS' notorious online predators who got alot of kids to come over.

Years
  • It's more the reasoning that the Home Secretary, Sajid Javid, has given for not letting her return that I'm questioning, and why he's made this decision so swiftly (media/project fear "get them tinged coloureds out" narrative etc.). It's the apparent Bangladeshi citizenship she "has" he's using as his justification to strip her of British citizen status. If Bangladesh do not recognise her as a citizen/take her then she is stateless and therefore his justification becomes false. It seems that Javid is merely looking into this 'loophole' because of mob mentality pressure because of the campaign to keep her out.

I personally think it would be better, and the more responsible decision, to let her return and deal with her domestically rather than saying "well she's somebody else's problem now!" and letting a potentially dangerous person loose somewhere else in the world if that is indeed the case like we're claiming she is.

Back