• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Bulbasaur will evolve?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • I don't think that's legit simply because Ash's Bulbasaur doesn't want to evolve and its had opportunities to do so but opted not to. Plus if this were to be true, there's two things I have a problem with. 1) It'd be a HUGE deal that a Pokemon of Ash's that didn't want to evolve did so and 2) It happened off screen unless we're getting another Kanto reunion(which has reached Super Saturation at this point).

Years
  • I don't think Bulbasaur will evolve at all since Bulbasaur is scared of getting evolved itself, so i think he prefers to be its is starter age, since it is an obviously past place for it.

(sorry for my poor English)

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I think the train is already sailed on Ash's old pokemon to evolve or not... granted Cyndaquil did, but yeah, Bulbasaur made it clear it did not want to evolve for any reason, so I find that kinda... odd.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • I think the train is already sailed on Ash's old pokemon to evolve or not... granted Cyndaquil did, but yeah, Bulbasaur made it clear it did not want to evolve for any reason, so I find that kinda... odd.

I mean as of now Kanto is in the spotlight due to LGPE and I assume if we do get DP remakes that would open the door for his SInnoh even if most did evolve.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I can imagine some of his older Pokemon evolving if they're ever showcased again (Quilava, Gible, Pignite, Palpitoad, etc) but because Bulbasaur specifically was one that did not want to evolve I don't see it evolving without either retconning it or giving it a reason for it to change it's mind.

Years
  • Nah, it won't.
    Pretty sure we had an episode back in the OS days dedicated to Ash's Bulbasaur's evolution and it refused to evolve. IIRC it wanted to stay as a Bulbasaur and not evolve into Ivysaur that's why it did not evolve from that point onward. Inb4 it ain't legit.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    I think the train is already sailed on Ash's old pokemon to evolve or not... granted Cyndaquil did, but yeah, Bulbasaur made it clear it did not want to evolve for any reason, so I find that kinda... odd.

Cyndaquil did evolve but that happen in Sinnoh not the OS, so that doesn't count. At the time it did evolved Dawn had a Cyndaquil aswell, we can only assume they evolve Ash's Cyndaquil to tell it apart from Dawn's Cyndaquil.

Ash's Bulbasaur was given an episode for it to evolved and it didn't want to evolved atleast yet, but it was also stated that we have no way to tell when Bulbasaur will decide to evolved.

Last edited:
    Years
  • as much as i would like to see bulbasaur evolve, it's highly unlikely that bulbasaur will. still loves bulbasaur though <3

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Cyndaquil did evolve but that happen in Sinnoh not the OS, so that doesn't count. At the time it did evolved Dawn had a Cyndaquil aswell, we can only assume they evolve Ash's Cyndaquil to tell it apart from Dawn's Cyndaquil.

Ash's Bulbasaur was given an episode for it to evolved and it didn't want to evolved atleast yet, but it was also stated that we have no way to tell when Bulbasaur will decide to evolved.

How does it suddenly not count exactly? My point here was, I would find it odd that they would evolve Ash's older Pokémon in a setting that doesn't give them much new screen time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    How does it suddenly not count exactly? My point here was, I would find it odd that they would evolve Ash's older Pokémon in a setting that doesn't give them much new screen time.

Well, for starters, none of Ash's companions in SM had a Bulbasaur, while Dawn did have a Cyndaquil by the time Ash used his.

You could use May's Bulbasaur, but on the other hand, it saw use for most of Hoenn (where Ash didn't use any of his old Pokémon besides Pikachu), and even in Battle Frontier, Bulbasaur was at least kept at Oak's lab up until the final fight with Brandon, so it wasn't readily apparent (not to mention by May's appearance in DP, it had already evolved).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I mean. I suppose it's possible for thing to do the same thing they did for Quilava. But that's only if they decide for Ash to use his older Pokemon for the Pokemon League (which if he doesn't get a full team by then I suppose it's a possibility).

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I mean. I suppose it's possible for thing to do the same thing they did for Quilava. But that's only if they decide for Ash to use his older Pokemon for the Pokemon League (which if he doesn't get a full team by then I suppose it's a possibility).

Heck, Ash even GOING to school at all, especially as part of a long arc, when the past 20 years has proven he doesn't even need school to be a good trainer would make Bulbasaur's evolution decision uncertain. If they can just turn Ash into a schoolboy despite all evidence against it as far back as The School of Hard Knocks, they most certainly can have Bulbasaur decide to evolve as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019

It doesn't count because Cyndaquil evolve in Sinnoh not Johto, at the time it did evolve Dawn also had a Cyndaquil aswell, I believe they only evolve Ash's Cyndaquil because there was no way to tell them apart and evolving it was the only way to tell it apart from Dawn's Cyndaquil. May's Bulbasuar could be tell apart from Ash's Bulbasuar because it is male and Mays Bulbasuar is female with a different design leaf on her forehead.

Ash's Bulbasuar evolving can happen at anytime, but that remains to be seen since non of the classmates in SM have a Bulbasaur.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't see why anyone would expect Bulbasaur to evolve, fake screen-shots notwithstanding. He made a conscious decision to remain as a Bulbasaur way back in OS, and I don't see why he'd change his mind now. Him evolving wouldn't even be like the Quilava situation since Cyndaquil was never against evolving in the first place. So it's apples and oranges.

Yeah, and all the way back in the OS, Ash proved he didn't need school to be a good trainer (School of Hard Knocks as well as the episode dealing with Entrance Exams). Using what happened long ago isn't going to cut it this time around. Heck,
    Spoiler:
    so it's a bad idea to cite the past regarding these things. And just as an FYI, I don't want or like the idea of Bulbasaur evolving any more than you do, but I'm at least accepting that it's a possibility.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
    Years
  • I don't see why anyone would expect Bulbasaur to evolve, fake screen-shots notwithstanding. He made a conscious decision to remain as a Bulbasaur way back in OS, and I don't see why he'd change his mind now. Him evolving wouldn't even be like the Quilava situation since Cyndaquil was never against evolving in the first place. So it's apples and oranges.

Yeah and this thread is making me wonder if I've stepped back in time to 2014 when folks also debated if he'd evolve in XY.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Yeah and this thread is making me wonder if I've stepped back in time to 2014 when folks also debated if he'd evolve in XY.

Well, technically, Bulbasaur wasn't even ALLUDED to in XY, unlike in SM where we not only got an appearance from it in the Kanto Reunion arc, but possible leaked key art does suggest it might evolve (note that I didn't say it WILL evolve, just that it MIGHT).

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    I don't see why anyone would expect Bulbasaur to evolve, fake screen-shots notwithstanding. He made a conscious decision to remain as a Bulbasaur way back in OS, and I don't see why he'd change his mind now. Him evolving wouldn't even be like the Quilava situation since Cyndaquil was never against evolving in the first place. So it's apples and oranges.

Cyndaquil never shown any signs it wanted to evolve either and it did evolved in Sinnoh, which contradict everything about it not evolving in the OS.

Bulbasaur never said it would never evolved, it wasn't ready to evolve at the time during the OS. I don't see it evolving now but you never know. I like Bulbasaur the way it is, and if it do change it's mind to evolve then that will also contradict everything about it not wanting to evolve in the OS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    That's not really a contradiction since many of the Pokemon that have previously evolved in the main cast didn't show any particular interest in evolving beforehand; they simply evolved when the chance presented itself. Yet I can't think of a single instance where a Pokemon in the main cast was against evolving, and then evolved anyway. Again, apples and oranges.
    Yeah. There's never been an instance in the anime where a Pokemon was against evolving and evolved anyways. There's also no one else on the current main cast who has a Bulbasaur of their own so I see no reason for Bulbasaur to evolve.

Back