• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could evolve one of Ash's Pokemon

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Which one would you evolve and why? Could be any of his Pokemon from any generation (except Pikachu c'mon why would you ignore Pikachu's character entirely).

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Pikachu Popular pick is probably going to be Gible(who wouldn't) but I think his Totodile deserves some love. Chikorita evolved and so did Cyndaquil back during Sinnoh. Yet nothing for our Johto Water starter?

Years
  • For the current trainer Pokemon Ash owns, i think Rowlet also deserves to evole as well, i love how Datrix acts an gentleman personality so a i'm hoping Rowlet could evolve someday.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    ^if someone can get out that everstone it ate maybe hahah.

For me its Pignite. With a story much like Charizards and Infernapes i wouldve loved if it evolved all the way. Even if it did beat his old trainer by evolving into a Pignite haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    As someone who has also roleplayed Ash all I can say it .... yikes. Hope you don't choose to roleplay him again is all I'll say.

Will agree with Bayleef though.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • As someone who has also roleplayed Ash all I can say it .... yikes. Hope you don't choose to roleplay him again is all I'll say.

Will agree with Bayleef though.

1.Ho?
    2.? Roll with it
    3.Yay

Last edited:

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • I honestly thought Buizel would evolve, back in Sinnoh Ash really had a full powered team comparable to Kalos. I can forgive Gible because it joined the roster pretty late, but Buizel was been there pretty long, from Dawn and then to Ash, and he even showed some amazing battles. After look at Unova saga with how he easily evolve Pidove, Roggenrola and Sewaddle, I think Buizel deserves some justice!

On a side note, Snivy and Oshawott would be my next 2 pick. Snivy was already shown to be overpowered at the start, and she also seem to trust Ash anyway. I don't know if there is a dedicated episode that shows Snivy hatred of evolving, and I hope Trip's Serperior isn't the reason Snivy can't evolve, because back in Sinnoh both Ash and Paul had Torterra anyway. Ash's Oshawott... I don't really like him at the start for what he shows, but he was given decent character development (which is superb considering Ash had like 10 Pokemon to rotate in Unova) so I was hoping him to evolve into at least Dewott to impress me but it didn't happen at the end. Ehh... in the end found out that Oshawott is my most hated Ash's Pokemon but I would give him a chance to redeem himself should he evolves into a Dewott.

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • Probably because Oshawott tends to like to prove himself to be reliable but it turns out the other way. It ain't helped much either when it's revealed he is afraid to open eyes when diving underwater (or Aqua Jet), he did overcome the fear in the end but still. I didn't know Oshawott was going to have the Piplup treatment, when Dawn came into Unova with Piplup, it all came clear to me. Oshawott and Piplup has some similar personalities. After seeing Piplup the entire DP saga, I felt 'bored' seeing Oshawott with the almost same route again, perhaps even poorly executed. Maybe it just me biased that I liked DP saga alot, but during Dawn visiting Unova period Piplup stands out way too much than Oshawott to me.

Hmm... perhaps that's why Oshawott is more memorable with his personality, he's the only one with this attitude in Ash's roster so far. Disliked him but he'll stuck in my mind for who knows how long. Definitely more memorable than say... Torkoal, Donphan, Palpitoad, Unfezant and the other 29 Tauros that he caught... I really felt sad for them. XD

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Pignite. I don't know why they never evolved Pignite into Emboar. I am pretty sure Pignite is hated by almost everyone, including the people who like Tepig/Emboar. I know it is nothing too big, but that is who I'd evolve. Even in the manga and anime trailer for BW2, Emboar was shown.

There are a lot of pokemon I'd want Ash to evolve, but Pignite is probably the most annoying choice in the BW Anime to me.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Pignite would also be my top pick here! I was really invested in Tepig's character growth, so I kinda hoped they would follow through just a bit more and let him fully evolve into Emboar, eheh.

A close second for me would be Corphish, mainly because it was the only unevolved Pokémon on Ash's AG team other than Pikachu. (Weeeell, and Aipom haha, but Ambipom wasn't introduced until Gen IV!)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Scraggy, honestly. Scraggy clearly had potential to be a strong battler but never got the time to shine in the Best Wishes series. Evolving it would have definitely helped it for sure.

Years
  • Gonna have to agree with Bayleef and Pignite, and I would hope they don't go down the same route with Torracat and not have the final evolution stage shown under Ash's ownership. It never made sense to me why they would evolve a starter up, but just keep it at that. Bayleef I could maybe understand because of her affection to Ash, but not so much Pignite, which had potential to be a strong Pokémon, and potentialy be stronger as Emboar.

Also, years ago, I had always hoped during AG that his Corphish was gonna evolve into Crawdaunt as well. He definitely had the strength to evolve from the many times it battled foes larger than it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Back before Greninja I figured that they didn't want to evolve Corphish because they didn't want to give Ash a dark type Pokemon, as it's not really his type (Nanu even says something along those lines as 'the Dark Z-Crystal doesn't really fit you). However now that he's officially had a Dark type Re: Greninja I can see him possibly getting Incineroar at least! Then he could get the Incineroar Z-Crystal, Hau would have Decidueye's I'm sure, and Lana already owns the Primarina one.

I don't mind it when his Pokemon don't fully evolve. Pignite's story, as much as Id love to see Emboar like I said he beat his old trainer by evolving into Pignite. By all means I suppose to the writers that meant Pignite's story was done and didn't want to go further with it. As much as I love Best Wishes balancing Ash's team wasn't exactly one of their forte (Palpitoad, any one?)

And Bayleef and Pignite weren't the only one! Brock's Marshtomp never finished its evolution line, either. Between Ash's two and Brock's one I believe the last one had the least amount of reason to stay as a Marshtomp haha.

Years
  • To be honest, I was surprised to learn that they evolved his Cyndaquil during DP. I can understand it may have revolved around the hype that was HGSS, but also I feel like if they were to evolve it, it probably should have been something that happened back in OS during Johto.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    The writer who wrote most of the original series, Takeshi Shudo, passed away back in 2010 (his last episode was a Johto episode). It's possible that it's something that they didn't consider back when they were writing Johto, but with new writers comes different ideas. Dawn had a Cyndaquil so it's possible that between Ash's Johto Starters that is why they chose Cyndaquil to evolve ( as Dawn's doesn't evolve until later in a side series )!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    ^ is what I figured as well. That and Bianca also had a Emboar and it's not very often when Ash has the same fully evolved Pokemon as (one of) his rivals. Gary has Blastoise, Trip had Serperior ... Sawyer had Sceptile but that was three generations later. In fact May's Bulbasaur could have very well evolved fully into Venusaur because that was the last Kanto starter that neither Rival, Ash, or companion had fully evolved? Can't say it for the Johto starters at all, but it makes you wonder even more why Marshtomp didn't evolve fully into Swampert when Torchic and Treecko did haha.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • Whenever I think of which Pokemon of Ash's should evolve, I always gravitate towards his under-developed Pokemon, so my pick would be Totodile. He was just kind of there in Johto and didn't do anything noteworthy unlike his peers. At least him evolving would give the illusion of progress.

Back